Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: X-Men Days of Future Past (Now with SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited April 2014

Matt said:

I refuse to feed into what bullshitters & they're scumbag lawyers try to do.*. I see too many times (through work) where people file bullshit claims & get free money.

M

"First, we kill the lawyers."
    - Bill Shakespeare

If you will indulge me a nerdy sidebar for a moment (that no one asked for, but I can't help it when I see that quote).

That quote is not really a Shakespeare *quote*. It is a fun line. And I am not surprised to have seen it on t-shirts and see it get treated like a quote. It is not really something Shakespeare said about lawyers, in the same way that we have pithy things that Mark Twain said about things.

Rather, that is a line of dialogue that Shakespeare wrote for a character who is written to be an ignorant buffoon who is part of a rebellion that fails. The character suggests killing the lawyers as part of a plan that also includes abolishing all money, setting up the rebel leader to be worshipped, and a few lines later, not only should all the lawyers be killed, but actually anyone found to be literate should be killed, too.

Here is the scene if you want to read the whole thing.

And here is the line in context:
    ALL
    God save your majesty!

CADE
    I thank you, good people: there shall be no money;
    all shall eat and drink on my score; and I will
    apparel them all in one livery, that they may agree
    like brothers and worship me their lord.

DICK
    The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

CADE
    Nay, that I mean to do. Is not this a lamentable
    thing, that of the skin of an innocent lamb should
    be made parchment? that parchment, being scribbled
    o'er, should undo a man? Some say the bee stings:
    but I say, 'tis the bee's wax; for I did but seal
    once to a thing, and I was never mine own man
    since. How now! who's there?

Enter some, bringing forward the Clerk of Chatham

SMITH
    The clerk of Chatham: he can write and read and
    cast accompt.

CADE
    O monstrous!

SMITH
    We took him setting of boys' copies.

CADE
    Here's a villain!

SMITH
    Has a book in his pocket with red letters in't.

CADE
    Nay, then, he is a conjurer.
    So the line comes from an idiot, in a scene of historical and semi-historical characters that Shakespeare- as he is wont to do in his very propaganda-heavy history plays- writes as a crude cartoon.

So attributing the line like it is a Shakespeare quote would be like attributing other lines from his characters as if they were Shakespeare's own beliefs, you know what I mean? It would be like a quote reading:

"I am a villain."

- William Shakespeare

As opposed to

"I am a villain."

-Richard III, King Richard III by William Shakespeare.

Okay. As you were.

(Sorry, I can't help it. I have been teaching and doing Shakespeare for a lot of years now.)
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    What about actors who play background lawyers?

Not them, too?
  • Options
    "First, we kill all the Shakespeare professors."
    - Any English class student
  • Options
    edited April 2014

"First, we kill all the Shakespeare professors."
    - Any English class student

I'd be ok. I'm only an humble teaching artist!* ;)

* Brief definition of a teaching artist: Those that can, teach AND do.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited April 2014
    Matt said:

So is Singer the most successful out of that group? Where was his parents? They moved to LA with him? Not sure what the 'gaydar' was in reference to. So that elite school was a front for this group? Should they be brought into the suit? The accusations fell on deaf ears? Was Singer 'Singer' at that time? He wasn't concerned about 'deaf ears' now? What other kids were there? How long was he there for? Any communication with his parents during that time? Did he remain with that elite school that lead to this incident? Is the police agency his mom reported it to involved in the suit? Describe what Singer's unit looks like. What about the other people there.

These are a fraction of the questions I'd be asking if I was investigating this.

Truthfully, have more questions then answers to satisfy a notion that Singer is any more guilty then before. This guy could just be lashing out because his acting career went nowhere...which led to the drinking.

As mentioned above; I'm at this movie opening weekend.

M

I had many the same questions as you after watching that. A lot of that kids story isn't ringing true with me. Wouldn't be surprised if he was a completely willing participant at the time and this is purely a statutory rape situation. Yes, yes, yes ... and that's not a good thing, of course, but clearly distinct from a forced rape situation in my mind. I'm guessing we never find out though as, with the movie releasing soon, this thing will get settled ASAP and will include the mother of confidentiality agreements. Among other things, it will give Singer an easy out during the publicity tour, as he can just claim that he's not allowed to discuss the matter.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    WetRats said:

shroud68 said:

Why should some allegation effect my enjoyment of a movie? Why have some anonymous accuser ruin what looks to me to be a great film? I wish we could stick to the subject matter and not the ephemera around it.

I'm sure Fatty Arbuckle would agree.
    Keep your righteousness and history listen to yourself. The insinuation that somebody supports that sort of crime because they want to see a movie is insulting and just a little ridiculous. I often come to a comic book forum for my morality lesson.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

shroud68 said:

Why should some allegation effect my enjoyment of a movie? Why have some anonymous accuser ruin what looks to me to be a great film? I wish we could stick to the subject matter and not the ephemera around it.

Keep your righteousness and history listen to yourself. The insinuation that somebody supports that sort of crime because they want to see a movie is insulting and just a little ridiculous. I often come to a comic book forum for my morality lesson.
    Relax. @WetRats‌ is not citing history to judge you, he is actually citing a piece of history that agrees with you. Just look at the Arbuckle story.

The history around Fatty Arbuckle is actually about the public rushing to judgment based on shoddy facts, leading to the ruination of a career and infamy that stuck with him the rest of his life. Arbuckle was eventually cleared of all criminal charges, but it was too late to save his reputation and career. The Arbuckle story is actually an example of when people couldn't stick to the subject matter and instead ran wild with tabloid accusation and speculation.

Not every response to you is someone disagreeing with you. Or judging you.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

shroud68 said:

Relax. @WetRats‌ is not citing history to judge you, he is actually citing a piece of history that agrees with you. Just look at the Arbuckle story.

The history around Fatty Arbuckle is actually about the public rushing to judgment based on shoddy facts, leading to the ruination of a career and infamy that stuck with him the rest of his life. Arbuckle was eventually cleared of all criminal charges, but it was too late to save his reputation and career. The Arbuckle story is actually an example of when people couldn't stick to the subject matter and instead ran wild with tabloid accusation and speculation.

Not every response to you is someone disagreeing with you.
    Thanks @David_D.

For the record, though, I don't plan to keep my righteousness or my history lessons to myself.

If I think they're appropriate to a conversation, I will share them unhesitatingly.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    No matter where the truth is it's all a fucking mess. For the record I will still see the movie.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

shroud68 said:

Thanks @David_D.

For the record, though, I don't plan to keep my righteousness or my history lessons to myself.

If I think they're appropriate to a conversation, I will share them unhesitatingly.
    Even if @WetRats‌ was'nt being self righteous, there still is an air of it in alot of these posts concerning this particular topic. Why the rush to defend other members but I cant be reactionary in my response? I'm not even particularly agitated or involved though being told to "relax" rarely has that effect.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

shroud68 said:

Thanks @David_D.

Even if @WetRats‌ was'nt being self righteous, there still is an air of it in alot of these posts concerning this particular topic. Why the rush to defend other members but I cant be reactionary in my response? I'm not even particularly agitated or involved though being told to "relax" rarely has that effect.
    It wasn't a rush to defend another member. It was pointing out some context that seemed to be getting missed before things got personal, that's all.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

...I don't plan to keep my righteousness or my history lessons to myself.

FYI: I thought both of these responses were Awesome
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I wonder if Logan will have the Adamantium claws. Also, any cameos by the initial group? Jean? Scott?

M
  • Options
    David_D said:

shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

shroud68 said:

Thanks @David_D.

It wasn't a rush to defend another member. It was pointing out some context that seemed to be getting missed, that's all.
    I get it but what I have never understood about this forum is why some get a free pass but others get scolded and/or condescended to. I'm no troll, I am an intermittent poster at best. Being told to "relax" just irks me as did @WetRats‌' reply. Can't I register annoyance? I'm not picking a fight, I just felt a certain way about the topic and felt chided in kind. And I got the Fatty Arbuckle comment as well without the commentary.
  • Options
    Matt said:

I wonder if Logan will have the Adamantium claws. Also, any cameos by the initial group? Jean? Scott?

M

A young Cyclops played by a lesser known actor would be easy to fit in. I feel like there should be a chance for a James Marsden appearance, giving all the times that he and Singer have worked together.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Girls, I think it's time...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    shroud68 said:

David_D said:

shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

shroud68 said:

Thanks @David_D.

It wasn't a rush to defend another member. It was pointing out some context that seemed to be getting missed, that's all.
    I get it but what I have never understood about this forum is why some get a free pass but others get scolded and/or condescended to. I'm no troll, I am an intermittent poster at best. Being told to "relax" just irks me as did @WetRats‌' reply. Can't I register annoyance? I'm not picking a fight, I just felt a certain way about the topic and felt chided in kind. And I got the Fatty Arbuckle comment as well without the commentary.
    Yes. Of course you can. But when you basically tell someone to 'shut up' (not in so many words, but that was the tone, whether you intended it or not) when they are actually AGREEING with you (as opposed to trying to antagonize or annoy you) then you might be asked to relax. That is not to condescend to you. It is to ask you to give people a little more of a chance than you tend to give people.

If you think you were being chided by him, you could always have asked him what he meant, rather than jumping to assuming the worst. (And not for the first time. I can remember you once jumping down my throat about something when I was actually agreeing with you, but you took it to be an attack.)
  • Options
    David_D said:

Matt said:

M

A young Cyclops played by a lesser known actor would be easy to fit in. I feel like there should be a chance for a James Marsden appearance, giving all the times that he and Singer have worked together.
    I'm figuring the same, especially since Cyclops got short changed in X3 (arguable, the whole cast & fan base did.) I'm curious to see how this corrects some timeline issues from all the movies.

M
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Matt said:

M

I noticed bone claws in the latest trailer... (2:07 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsjtg7m1MMM

and admantium claws in the second trailer... (1:38 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6acRHWnfZAE

I expect we will see some unmentioned cameos, but who knows? Given all of the hub-bub over Rogue's cut and Storm being all-but-cut-out of the final edit, I wonder. I'm anxious to find out if Bishop is going to a likeable character at all in the movie. Hard to tell from the trailers. I liked him in the original series.

Then again, I do see Rogue in the original trailer, which appears to be much more palatable now that I've seen the last two... strange how my impression has altered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zYHWDZKo
  • Options
    Matt said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

M

I'm figuring the same, especially since Cyclops got short changed in X3 (arguable, the whole cast & fan base did.) I'm curious to see how this corrects some timeline issues from all the movies.

M
    I'd be game for them to just pretend that X3 never happened.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Bring back Cyclops.
  • Options
    David_D said:

It had its moments...

• Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited April 2014

David_D said:

It had its moments...

It had a moment. Let's not speak of the other 103
  • Options

David_D said:

It had its moments...

Yes, I think it was when the credits began.

M
  • Options

David_D said:

It had its moments...

C'mon... it sucked, but not completely.

Plus Prof X and Cyclops and Phoenix are dead... except for that end scene... what was that about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnVoTt35Uw0
  • Options
    I'm joking, I found 40% of it entertaining.

M
  • Options
    David_D said:

shroud68 said:

David_D said:

shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

shroud68 said:

Thanks @David_D.

Yes. Of course you can. But when you basically tell someone to 'shut up' (not in so many words, but that was the tone, whether you intended it or not) when they are actually AGREEING with you (as opposed to trying to antagonize or annoy you) then you might be asked to relax. That is not to condescend to you. It is to ask you to give people a little more of a chance than you tend to give people.

If you think you were being chided by him, you could always have asked him what he meant, rather than jumping to assuming the worst. (And not for the first time. I can remember you once jumping down my throat about something when I was actually agreeing with you, but you took it to be an attack.)
    Actually I felt chided by you. Which is why I tend to retreat. Despite appearances I do not always like the back and forth. I'd rather keep to the subject at hand if I can gracefully withdraw from this topic.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

David_D said:

It had its moments...

C'mon... it sucked, but not completely.

Plus Prof X and Cyclops and Phoenix are dead... except for that end scene... what was that about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnVoTt35Uw0
    I've never seen that clip before. I didn't even know it existed until this month!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    As for the Singer stuff, I didn't even know about it until today. Wow.

My views on it won't affect my viewing the film. I'm likely not going to spend the money to see this one in theatres, anyway. I'll wait for Blu-Ray or On-Demand.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    David_D said:

Matt said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

M

M
    Too late for that right? With the wolverine movie and everything