Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: X-Men Days of Future Past (Now with SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

Other than no mention of how Wolvie got the adamantium back and no mention of how Charles survived X3, this movie was a real treat! Would've enjoyed a bit more in the future dystopian world for my tastes. And I was surprised that the quote from Wolverine's hilarious cameo in "First Class" was flubbed...

Best scene hands down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO1rMeYnOmM

Did there need to be? It was left as "you're not the only one with gifts" when Logan asked Xavier how he was back. It looks to be a longer time from when Magneto & Xavier recruit Logan to the setting where Logan is sent back in time.

M
    A two second throwaway line wouldn't have been unwarranted or unnecessary. So I won't say there "needed" to be a mention of it, but there should've been. That was the last film Stewart's Xavier starred in. Or are all X-Men fans expected to watch end credit scenes of various spin-off movies where ambiguous statements are made and expected to be accepted as explanations of loose ends? They could've cleared up the ending to X3 if they had any clue how to do it. Add that to the lack of any explanation how Logan's adamantium was back, I think I realize what the reason they didn't address it - they didn't know how.

Might it be more fun if we all started coming up with our own explanations - a' la the Marvel No Prize?

Otherwise, this is the best X film in the franchise.
    Actually, yes. Why wouldn't an X-Men or comic book fan in general NOT watch the end credits & spinoffs. How was Xavier able to walk & use his powers in Origins? Does it matter? Has there been a history where Xavier has been crippled & able to walk? Same with Logan & his adamantium.

Xavier came back inhabiting essentially a dead body. Logan got his adamantium claws from Magneto's ability to manipulate metal. Both had explanations.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited May 2014
    Actually, neither of them were explained in this film. Maybe they were implied, but not really. And @Matt I know you've sat through the credits of every comic book movie you've seen in the last 7 or 8 years, as have I, but surely you haven't failed to notice how 95% or the audience tends to depart before the post credits scene. So in answer to your first question, I don't know why they leave, but many do.

So did Xavier transfer his consciousness into the body of a twin brother? Oh, if you own the X3 dvd and watched the deleted scenes, you know the answer. And at the end of The Wolverine, a vague references to “You’re not the only one with gifts” explains Xavier can cheat death, but how exactly? And what did that scene have to do with this movie?

So we finally do get to DoFP, and I know that I am not alone in hoping that this film might detail exactly how Xavier made it back, but explanation was forthcoming. If you want to use your logic and imagination to fill in those glaring gaps, I nominate you for a No Prize. Alas, these nitpicky details are not germane to the story, and none of these errors negatively effected my enjoyment of the film. I'm still trying to figure out why Kitty Pryde has the ability to transmit Bishop's mind back in time, when her mutant powers only let her phase through walls... supernatural gloves?
  • Options
    edited May 2014

@Matt I know you've sat through the credits of every comic book movie you've seen in the last 7 or 8 years, as have I, but surely you haven't failed to notice how 95% or the audience tends to depart before the post credits scene. So in answer to your first question, I don't know why they leave, but many do.

So did Xavier transfer his consciousness into the body of a twin brother? Oh, if you own the X3 dvd and watched the deleted scenes, you know the answer. And at the end of The Wolverine, a vague references to “You’re not the only one with gifts” explains Xavier can cheat death, but how exactly?

So we finally do get to DoFP, and I know that I am not alone in hoping that this film might detail exactly how Xavier made it back, but explanation was forthcoming. If you want to use your logic and imagination to fill in those glaring gaps, I nominate you for a No Prize. Alas, these nitpicky details are not germane to the story, and none of these errors negatively effected my enjoyment of the film.

At this point, those people who don't care enough to wait until the end probably don't care or can do a YouTube search. Singer gave the reasoning for the returning adamantium claws in interviews.

Neither distracted my enjoyment. If the X3 scene isn't what brought this Xavier back to life, no big deal. He's back, Logan's got metal claws, & Storm isn't referenced as Ororo.

The casual moviegoers leave, I've yet to hear the diehard comic book fans to leave early nowadays.

If you skip a tie-in issue that plays out in another issue you are reading, is it on Marvel/DC to insert something for you to follow along, or is it on you to read the tie-in issue?

M
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    I saw it. It was good. Within the X-franchise, it is in the top three for me.

I think it needed some editing. At times, it did drag for me. But, even in that, it wasn't an issue of the elimination of entire scenes, but more of a tightening of each within the film.

I was shocked at how well Quicksilver was handled. The Avengers sequel will definitely have to work to give those scenes a run for their money.

I had two big gripes with the film (which is why it is probably ranked 3rd in my head) - First, the entire "Charles struggling with allowing his powers to work or not" thing... quite frankly, it either needed to be focused on a lot more or cut out completely. As it was, I just found it irritating. It was a meatball thrown down the center of the plate. There was never a real feeling that he MIGHT not give in to that, just a question of time. I know, I know - all comic stories are like that, with the hero struggling, will he overcome or not, and we all know he will... but good writing can at least make that seem like a real struggle. This film did not do that for me.

Gripe two - I get that Magneto used the rails to lace the Sentinels with wire so that he could control their movement. Great. Awesome. Makes perfect sense. But, then, it seems to go beyond that in execution, to somehow manipulating the wire to control their programming, and THAT did not jive in my head. Which meant that, instead of sitting in the theater enjoying that cool scene, I was stuck in my head trying to wrap my mind around this.

Those two big gripes and a desire for the film to be tighter were my only real complaints.

This did feel like the first time that Fox could really start to build out other film franchises within the X-brand, besides Wolverine. That would definitely be a plus.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited May 2014
    Matt said:

If you skip a tie-in issue that plays out in another issue you are reading, is it on Marvel/DC to insert something for you to follow along, or is it on you to read the tie-in issue?

M

Easy. It's on the editor to make it to where I'm not distracted by such things.

For instance, if Xavier switched bodies, which anyone who sat through the credits of X3 knows he did, but they missed the director interview saying the body was his twin, is it conceivable they might have appreciated a mention of said twin in this film? And furthermore, was said twin also confined to a wheelchair? Why? This is but one instance of continuity issues they didn't address.

I realize there were whole messes of issues with continuity in Wolverine Origins and First Class and obviously X3, but one or two throwaway lines would've covered a multitude of those "sins." That's all I'm saying. You repeatedly insisting that the producers did enough on their part isn't going to alter my experience. I'm a comic book fan, so I've managed to balance enjoyment of the material while still being able to nitpick it.

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    edited May 2014
    DOFP has already earned more worldwide than the original X-Men.

While still not having as big a weekend as X3, I'm going to chalk that up partially to competition and partially a fluke. Sometimes movies are marketed really well and they explode that first week. While I like X3, I think it's very possible DOFP holds up better.

Looking forward to the next one, although I still prefer the original cast. Maybe Apocalyse will act as the end of a trilogy of sorts for the First Class group and then the movies can move forward, back into the present day with a possibly recast Xavier, Cyclops etc

Edit: words
  • Options
    Planeis said:

While still not having as big a weekend as X3, I'm going to chalk that up partially to competition and partially a fluke. Sometimes movies are marketed really well and they explode that first week. While I like X3, I think it's very possible DOFP holds up better.

Looking forward to the next one, although I still prefer the original cast. Maybe Apocalyse will act as the of of a trilogy of sorts for the First Class group and then the movies can move forward, back into the present day with a possibly recast Xavier, Cyclops etc

If they're going to recast the present day characters, then reboot the whole franchise. Then I can drop X-Men movies from list of 'must see' movies. Much like with the new Spider-man movies.

If no reboot, then I'd like to see the actors continue with the roles.

M
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Matt said:

Planeis said:

Looking forward to the next one, although I still prefer the original cast. Maybe Apocalyse will act as the of of a trilogy of sorts for the First Class group and then the movies can move forward, back into the present day with a possibly recast Xavier, Cyclops etc

If they're going to recast the present day characters, then reboot the whole franchise. Then I can drop X-Men movies from list of 'must see' movies. Much like with the new Spider-man movies.

M
    What's so bad about recasting? We could end up with a better group of actors (except for maybe Patrick Stewart, he's basically perfect) I'd be fine with the original actors too, but that can cause its own issues. They are getting older and with stable casts come bigger paychecks.

As far as why I prefer the "present" day cast, if Apocalypse takes place in the 1980's or what have you and they decided to stick with the "First Class" group of actors, where would the next movie take place? the 1990s? A couple years after Apocalypse? I think it'd be too weird for me, and the general audience, if its 2020 here and we are watching a super hero movie series thats stuck in the past.

Who knows what they are gonna do. Wolverine 3 is on the way isn't it? Maybe that will give us a clue as to where they "Present day" part of the series is going.

Edit: It'd be nice if we actually got to see Cyclops be Cyclops right? For once? He's appeared in 4 movies and we haven't seen him do anything remotely close to what he's done in the cartoons/comics.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    Put me down for a recasting the whole team. If they set the next movie in the 80s all the key characters Storm, Cyclops, and Jean Grey would all be kids. The old cast would not fit those roles. Besides outside of Hugh Jackman none of the others were all that great except for Stewart and Ian McKellen. As much I like Stewart and McKellen the recasting has worked.

When I look at Chris Evans I believe he is Captain America, and more importantly I believe he is Steve Rogers. Robert Downey, Jr. owns the role as Tony Stark. I can not say the same for Cyclops, Jean Grey or Storm.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

Planeis said:

M
    What's so bad about recasting? We could end up with a better group of actors (except for maybe Patrick Stewart, he's basically perfect) I'd be fine with the original actors too, but that can cause its own issues. They are getting older and with stable casts come bigger paychecks.

As far as why I prefer the "present" day cast, if Apocalypse takes place in the 1980's or what have you and they decided to stick with the "First Class" group of actors, where would the next movie take place? the 1990s? A couple years after Apocalypse? I think it'd be too weird for me, and the general audience, if its 2020 here and we are watching a super hero movie series thats stuck in the past.

Who knows what they are gonna do. Wolverine 3 is on the way isn't it? Maybe that will give us a clue as to where they "Present day" part of the series is going.

Edit: It'd be nice if we actually got to see Cyclops be Cyclops right? For once? He's appeared in 4 movies and we haven't seen him do anything remotely close to what he's done in the cartoons/comics.
    What's wrong with the reboot? Finish the First Class trilogy in the 80s. X-Men picks up the late 90s. Old Man Logan for Wolverine 3. Reset the franchise.

Recasting the whole cast & not rebooting sounds...odd. Especially if the original cast is willing to return. Isn't that what we've wanted? Actors who want, enjoy, & continue the comic book character role?

M
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but people are really caught up on how people are alive in the end of DOFP and still kept X-men 3 in continuity. I thought the original trilogy is still in play, but Wolverine made a seperate timeline, so in the NEW timestream everyone lives. I thought this was brilliant because now they can recast and keep going with the new continuity, and keep the old moveis around and say "oh yeah that's the OTHER X-Men timelive." There was a few parts I thought were messed up, but then after I got home and thought about it I think it was right.

I do agree though I thought about if Mystique took Wolvie how did he get adamantium? Then I realzied he could've gotten caught by Striker anytime after getting taken by Mystique, so I needed to relax and enjoy the movie!
  • Options
    The 70s Xavier saw the future when reading Logan's mind, so he could alter the future also.

Not sure why there seems to be an interest in recasting the present timeline. When the younger versions of Scott, Jean, & Ororo are introduced in the next installment, just ride with those actors in that time.

If we're looking at the current time, use the same actors or reboot the franchise.

M
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Who's to say it wasn't Mystique who winds up giving Wolverine his adamantium in the new timeline? Or does something to (intentionally or not) ensure that events play out where the real Stryker does the deed after all?
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Had a feeling this was going to get really good reviews on here since I didn't enjoy it very much.

Quicksilver was fun and funny and it was also really campy to me. Don't think it should have been in the same movie that was about a dystopian future.

I enjoyed the history mixing in the story but the lines were given in such a way I thought we might hear a rim shot after each one.

Didn't really like how they added mutants without introducing mutants. Or with next to no lines. My wife was completely out of the loop during those scenes.

I would be happy if the only recasting they do is to get rid of Halle Berry and James Mcavoy I really don't enjoy them, that's just a personal preference though.

Also I didn't like Beast "hulking" out all the time. Is that from comics? I must have missed it if it was.

I know I'm in the minority but for me Spider-man 2 was the better movie of May
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    The process of re-casting already started when younger actors were hired to play Xavier, Magneto, Beast and Mystique in stories set in earlier timelines. I don't think anyone expects or wants Jackman and Berry to play superheroes into their late 50s, or for Patrick Stewart to play Xavier when he really does need a wheelchair to get around. The X series has proven that the quality of the director is far more important than any particular actor.
  • Options
    RickM said:

The process of re-casting already started when younger actors were hired to play Xavier, Magneto, Beast and Mystique in stories set in earlier timelines. I don't think anyone expects or wants Jackman and Berry to play superheroes into their late 50s, or for Patrick Stewart to play Xavier when he really does need a wheelchair to get around. The X series has proven that the quality of the director is far more important than any particular actor.

Agree. After Apocalyse, several of the original cast will be over 50 or approaching 50.

I don't think we know yet that they plan on having younger versions of Cyclops, Jean, Storm in Apocalypse. So far it just seems like McAvoy, Fassbenser, JLaw, whoever that Beast guy is, and jackman (?)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    RickM said:

I'm under the impression the notion of recasting is for the current time, not the past; ie replacing Jensson, Marsden, Stewart, Jackman, etc.

Actually, if Jackman can still handle the role, then I would like to see him continue.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

RickM said:

I'm under the impression the notion of recasting is for the current time, not the past; ie replacing Jensson, Marsden, Stewart, Jackman, etc.

Actually, if Jackman can still handle the role, then I would like to see him continue.

M
    I agree Jackman is a great Wolvie, but after the show I thought about it, this is his 7th(!) movie as Logan (6 full movies). Insane since I still remember going to see X-Men 1 in theaters and so excited to see ONE X-Men movie, now we are talking about X-Men retiring!
  • Options
    liked this movie a lot. Worth it to see in the theaters.
  • Options
    Nick said:

Matt said:

RickM said:

M
    I agree Jackman is a great Wolvie, but after the show I thought about it, this is his 7th(!) movie as Logan (6 full movies). Insane since I still remember going to see X-Men 1 in theaters and so excited to see ONE X-Men movie, now we are talking about X-Men retiring!
    So you're saying he should recasted because Jackman has played the character in 7 movies?

As I said; if he's still able to handle it & wants to play the part, let him.

M
  • Options
    RickM said:

I liked it a lot.

Although there's the one scene where Wolverine is getting tortured, and they have Stan Lee dressed as a janitor and he says, "That's gotta hurt!" Totally took me out of the film.

This was in DOFP? I don't remember seeing this at all...
  • Options
    Matt said:

Nick said:

Matt said:

RickM said:

M
    So you're saying he should recasted because Jackman has played the character in 7 movies?

As I said; if he's still able to handle it & wants to play the part, let him.

M
    No I didn't mean it being he couldn't do it anymore, I was just saying how far we've come to think he's been Wolverine in seven movies, when 15 years ago there were pretty much few to no superhero movies out at all. I'd like him to play Wolverine as much as he can. Seems like a lot of actors don't want to play the same characters over and over, but Wolverine is pretty cool, and I'm assuming Jackman likes those big paydays as well!
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    Matt said:

RickM said:

M
    I am not sure I get what your coming back. If I understand you correctly then I would say the actors they select for the next movie should be the actors who portray those roles going forward. That means a new Cyclops, Jean Grey, and a new Storm. I would only invite back Hugh Jackman to apart of the series from the old cast.

• Options
    Nick said:

RickM said:

I liked it a lot.

Although there's the one scene where Wolverine is getting tortured, and they have Stan Lee dressed as a janitor and he says, "That's gotta hurt!" Totally took me out of the film.

This was in DOFP? I don't remember seeing this at all...
    It was in the original cut, but then they went back in time and changed their destinies and therefore Stan Lee never existed.

• Options
    spid said:

Matt said:

RickM said:

M
    I am not sure I get what your coming back. If I understand you correctly then I would say the actors they select for the next movie should be the actors who portray those roles going forward. That means a new Cyclops, Jean Grey, and a new Storm. I would only invite back Hugh Jackman to apart of the series from the old cast.

If they are going to do any movies set in the timeline where Logan has the gray hair & wakes up in the school; then keep the old cast as well. If they're doing a story before X-Men, then use a younger cast.

If they're looking to do present day stories going forward, then just reboot the franchise.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Got to see this tonight. I thought it was great. Very comic-booky (including just dropping the audience into the future situation and showing a lot of characters in action without a lot of explanation or introduction) and I thought they played the strengths of both casts.

I wasn't expecting Quicksilver to be such a scene-stealer-- the set piece with his powers reminded me of the Nightcrawler opening of X2. Singer and his teams had a very cinematic language for what that power would be like in action, and it really worked.

And I'm glad they made use of the time-travel mojo to undo some (all?) of X3. I say good riddance to it. It had been a waste of good, largely underused (in the case of Scott) characters all to add melodrama to a dreary episode of the franchise. I don't know if they will make use of the grown-up Jean and Scott in future films, or recast younger versions, we'll see. But I was glad to see the potential is now there.

I haven't been following news about upcoming films, but I am glad to hear that the next one is another period piece, with the continuing 'First Class' cast. I have been loving those so far.
  • Options
    Okay, I'll just go ahead and ask it -- why haven't the geeks given their review of the movie yet? It's been a week already. I really love their movie review shows and thought they would have recorded one by now.
  • Options
    RickM said:

Okay, I'll just go ahead and ask it -- why haven't the geeks given their review of the movie yet? It's been a week already. I really love their movie review shows and thought they would have recorded one by now.

Not everyone got a chance to see it yet. Besides Chris & me, I'm not sure anyone else saw the movie.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Matt said:

RickM said:

Not everyone got a chance to see it yet. Besides Chris & me, I'm not sure anyone else saw the movie.

M
    Yeah, and at the end of the Tom King/Grayson episode they talk about it a little.