Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Movie News: X-Men Days of Future Past (Now with SPOILERS)

Comments

• Matt said:

I haven't ruled out ANY cameos of prior X-Men until I see the movie. I'm sure there's some surprises Singer has for us. Plus, I've had this theory the DOFP will alter things in the future to make First Class & original trilogy more coherent as the same timeline. A side effect could be Cyke survived.

M

Boy, I hope so. I like Wolverine, but I've always considered Cyke to have been the definitive X-Man, and it really depressed me that he was killed off so easily.
  • PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Matt said:

Planeis said:

Sigh. One of my dreams died.

No Cyclops in DOFP

I know, he's dead. But I was hoping one of the first things we'd see in the movie would be Cyclops, running through the dystopian future. No explanation of how he's alive, just he's alive. I don't need a whole movie to explain how he's back.

A sentinel comes around the corner and he blasts its big head off with his beam. Then the story could continue with the time traveling of wolverine and such.

I know, he's supposed to be dead in DOFP anyway. But still. Wolverine isn't supposed to be the one going back through time, but some things are allowed to change. Would have loved to see a living Cyclops blowing stuff up in the future.

I haven't ruled out ANY cameos of prior X-Men until I see the movie. I'm sure there's some surprises Singer has for us. Plus, I've had this theory the DOFP will alter things in the future to make First Class & original trilogy more coherent as the same timeline. A side effect could be Cyke survived.

M
    Well that's what I hoped too.... but according to Marsden, he said he won't be in the movie. He could be lying, or perhaps the situation is still fluid. But.... for now, it seems unlikely.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Until I see the movie, I'm not ruling out the chance of Nightcrawler appearing, let alone Cyclops. I don't care what the actors say.

M
    I'm kinda bummed about the past Wolverine. If they keep the same timeline, he'll have bone claws in the 70s.

M
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The trailer has been leaked online:

http://heronuggets.com/days-of-future-past-trailer-leaked/

Get it while it lasts!
    get it while its hot
    Leaked Trailer

Try this one if the youtube link goes away
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    edited August 2013
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    Rats! Missed it. already gone.
    For those interested in such things, The Wolverine is sneaking its way towards $400 million worldwide. Its domestic takings are a little slim, but considering its (marketing) appeal rests almost entirely on Hugh Jackman, I think that's pretty freaking good.
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Planeis said:

For those interested in such things, The Wolverine is sneaking its way towards $400 million worldwide. Its domestic takings are a little slim, but considering its (marketing) appeal rests almost entirely on Hugh Jackman, I think that's pretty freaking good.

Wolverine came and went so fast around here that I never even got a chance to see it. I can't recall a blockbuster film vanishing from theaters within a month. Iron Man 3 and Man Of Steel lingered around for 2-3 months.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I thought Kelsey Grammar as the Beast was an inspired bit of casting.
  • random73 said:

I thought Kelsey Grammar as the Beast was an inspired bit of casting.

Loved his Beast. Did not think I ever would, now I hear his voice each issue.

edited September 2013
    Sometimes i come across things in podcasts or on a forum that throw me a little bit. Like Grammar as the Beast or the costume in Daredevil. I've heard a lot of folks talk about that suit like it was the most awful thing in history and i don't get it. Of all the problems that movie had I don't think the costume was one of them. I thought the costume worked pretty well. I really don't even dislike Affleck as Matt Murdock I thought he was perfectly serviceable. My beef with DD is largely because of Colin Ferrel as Bullseye. That was one terrible, phoned-in performance but i rarely hear anybody criticize it.
    chrisw said:

Planeis said:

Wolverine came and went so fast around here that I never even got a chance to see it. I can't recall a blockbuster film vanishing from theaters within a month. Iron Man 3 and Man Of Steel lingered around for 2-3 months.
    I can't really comment on that. It's still available in a theater near me. There has been a LOT of movies released this summer, and its North American business is on slim side. Theaters where it wasn't performing well probably yanked it pretty quick to try and make room for movies that might make $$$$.

• I'd recently read an article -- which now I don't seem to be able to find again -- how Sony is hurting this year after most of its releases have seriously underperformed in the theaters, that even the ones that were doing well overseas still weren't going to clear much in actual returns after you deducted the marketing expenses, which, apparently, were considerable. But a few of their films were stinkers to begin with, like White House Down and that Will Smith movie whose title now eludes me.

I'd recently read an article -- which now I don't seem to be able to find again -- how Sony is hurting this year after most of its releases have seriously underperformed in the theaters, that even the ones that were doing well overseas still weren't going to clear much in actual returns after you deducted the marketing expenses, which, apparently, were considerable. But a few of their films were stinkers to begin with, like White House Down and that Will Smith movie whose title now eludes me.

It's called After Earth. Apparently he also wrote (co-wrote) it. Yeah, those 2 looked like stinkers the first trailer I saw. I wonder what their top grossing movie was this year?

M
    edited September 2013
    Matt said:

I'd recently read an article -- which now I don't seem to be able to find again -- how Sony is hurting this year after most of its releases have seriously underperformed in the theaters, that even the ones that were doing well overseas still weren't going to clear much in actual returns after you deducted the marketing expenses, which, apparently, were considerable. But a few of their films were stinkers to begin with, like White House Down and that Will Smith movie whose title now eludes me.

It's called After Earth. Apparently he also wrote (co-wrote) it. Yeah, those 2 looked like stinkers the first trailer I saw. I wonder what their top grossing movie was this year?

M
    Depends on what you mean by "this year". Skyfall officially ended its run in March of 2013 after opening in November last year. That movie made gobs of money. If you mean movies that opened only within 2013 its "Grown Ups 2" with a worldwide gross of $231 million. Their next most successful movies are "This Is The End" and.... White House Down. Oh, also "Elysium" which was produced by TriStar... which is owned by Sony.Sony 2013

Edit: Forbes coverage of The WolverineApparently The Wolverine's success overseas can be somewhat chalked up to Fox's strong history of overseas legs. Which must be true because even the HORRIBLE looking and performing Die Hard 5 has earned $237 million overseas.
    For those interested in these types of things, The Wolverine finally opened in China with $13 million dollars and is still within striking distance of $400 million around the world. It's running about $50 million ahead of First Class on the "foreign" market and about $40 million ahead of First Class overall.

It's also the most successful X-Man movie overseas, ever, running about $25 million ahead of The Last Stand, but X3 came out in 2006 and the worldwide box office is dramatically different than it was even 7 short years ago.
  • Perhaps bring back zee Night Crawler. Yah?

Perhaps bring back zee Night Crawler. Yah?

If memory served correctly, Cummings is the one who didn't want to return.

M
    Matt said:

Perhaps bring back zee Night Crawler. Yah?

If memory served correctly, Cummings is the one who didn't want to return.

M
    Really? Huh. I had heard the opposite. That he would come back in a heartbeat. I can't cite a source for that but that was floating around in my head.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Couldn't they have gotten another actor? They have had three Kitty Prydes.
  • Couldn't they have gotten another actor? They have had three Kitty Prydes.

But they were featured extras in the first two movies, easily dismissed. Once Ellen Page took over she was locked in as the character. If they replaced Cummings now people would take notice and it would be distracting. And who wants to add more to what seems like a Jenga tower of a production.

I don't know. Jack Ryan has been played by Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford and Ben Afflect and that is just a dude. I imagine it would pretty easy to replace a guy entirely covered in FX appliqué. Heck with Days of Future Past you just pick a different era nightcrawler (like the younger Mystique) and have a built-in explanation.
    random73 said:

I don't know. Jack Ryan has been played by Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford and Ben Afflect and that is just a dude. I imagine it would pretty easy to replace a guy entirely covered in FX appliqué. Heck with Days of Future Past you just pick a different era nightcrawler (like the younger Mystique) and have a built-in explanation.

Don't forget Chris Pine.

M
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Matt said:

random73 said:

Don't forget Chris Pine.

M
    I know my wife can't.

Matt said:

random73 said:

Don't forget Chris Pine.

M
    See? Can't even keep track of them all!
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

If they replaced Cummings now people would take notice and it would be distracting.

If by "people" you mean hardcore X-fans, then maybe.

If by "people" you mean the general movie-going public, then nope.