Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1234 Talkback: DC's New 52: The Second Wave

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Sorry, you bought ’em, you’re stuck with ’em. You’ll just have to sell them on eBay like everyone else. ;)
  • Options
    I liked Ravegers. If you are a fan of gen13 or new mutants and the like, give it a shot. It's better than teen titans. And I don't see it as this big 90s book like the other Geeks. It has a better plot. Sure the characters are cookie cutter stereotypes, especially lightning. But how many marvel books are just like that? And dc has had decades of cookies.
    The best advice is to read it and judge it yourself.
    When you say “better plot,” don’t you mean “a” plot? I mean, the comparison was to ’90s Image books, right? ;)
    That's what I meant actually. Lol
  • Options
    Batman Inc. - Buy
    Dial H - Pants
    Earth 2 - Buy
    G.I. Combat - Borrow
    The Ravagers - Buy
    Worlds' Finest - Buy
  • Options
    Batman Inc. - Buy
    Dial H - Pants
    Earth 2 - Buy
    G.I. Combat - Borrow
    The Ravagers - Buy
    Worlds' Finest - Buy
    Yay some who dug ravagers!!!
    Why pants dial h?
  • Options
    UrbalcloudUrbalcloud Posts: 42
    **Spoilers in this post! (Just in case)**

Batman, Inc. - My favorite from the 4 I read. Excellent story, art, pacing, characters, cliffhanger, and a Bill Hicks reference! Honestly, I enjoyed this so much, it made me like E2 and WF less!

Dial H - Purchased off the rack after seeing good reviews. (Rest of my order is DCBService) It did not disappoint. Really liked the snippets of hero we got, the double monologue, the tone of the art. A dark and mysterious book. Not my usual thing, but I'm excited to try it. Trying new things has been paying off for me lately.

Earth-2 - I didn't mind it, at first. Sure, the trinity death was a cheap move, but I'd already been spoiled so I'd come to terms with it. The book has the widescreen set-up feel of a blockbuster movie, complete with art that felt almost like a DC "house style" (Reminds me a lot of Ed Benes on JLA a few years back. Somewhat generic, but everyone pretty much looks like how you expect them to.) Again, I didn't mind at first, but after reading Batman, Inc., this just felt sort of lame. I'm going to drop it. I have a few more issues coming from DCBService, so it'll still get a few chances to win me back. Maybe I'll go back and read some JSA from around 2000, the ones with the Darwyn Cooke covers. Those look nice. :)

Words' Finest - This is another one I liked a lot more before I read Batman, Inc., but I'm not as ready to drop this as I am to drop E2. The buddy-gals-on-a-mission theme is a fun concept, and I am interested in seeing more current Perez art. Maybe I just really want to like these characters...

As an aside, I've always believed a good review tells you if something is good or bad, but a great review teaches you how to better appreciate something. The geeks, and Murd in masterful particular, really gave some great reviews this episode. Thanks!

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Before listening to this episode, I had no real desire to read Dial H, but after listening to everyone talk about it, I think I might check out an issue or two.
  • Options
    peedmyselfpeedmyself Posts: 105
    Batman Inc. - Buy
    Dial H - Buy (it was surprisingly good)
    Earth 2 - Borrow
    G.I. Combat - I'll buy again cause I like the Unknown Soldier and the writers, but I agree that this was a drag.
    The Ravagers - I didn't hate myself to pick this up.
    Worlds' Finest - Pants. I thought this was hellaciously dull.

Any truth to the rumour that the pee shield was to act like Cyclops' goggles to keep her super squirting ability in check?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2012
    I'm with Murd in that I thought Dial H was the best of the bunch.

Dial H BUY, BUY, BUY!!!
    Earth 2 BUY
    Worlds' Finest BUY
    G.I. Combat BORROW
    The Ravagers PANTS
    Batman Inc. BORROW
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    Earth 2 ....love it!
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29
    I gotta agree. I think this book will be about legacy as much as any other book about Earth 2 characters and concepts has been. I don't think it will be long before we see the new heroes of this world set themselves up as heroes as a way to honor the fallen trinity.
    I also agree that I don't need to see the trinity in this book. They're already all over the DCU and if we put them front and centre in this book, what separates it from the JLA? It's the other characters that I want to read about. Show me Mr. Terrific and Atom Smasher and Hourman (or maybe Hourwoman as I suspect we haven't seen the last of Joan). Show me some of those lesser known golden age heroes or characters from the All-Star Squadron that haven't been seen in years.
    I don't think I understand the point that was being made about this being a dark book. I certainly didn't read it that way. For me it was much more hopeful than some of the other offerings from DC. This Earth has been through a war and survived. At great cost, sure. But they've survived and they're determined to do right by their fallen saviours. Just as the original Earth 2 characters were forged in the fires of war, so too are these new heroes. Granted, it's not World War 2, but it is still very much a world war that continues to have an effect on the world around them.
    It's very much a rebooted Earth 2 concept, so I can understand the disappointment of people who were hoping for a more traditional look at Earth 2 (although, I'd argue that even with all the updatings and changes, Robinson is writing a book that is very true to the spirit of the golden age. But again, that's me).
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29
    I liked Ravegers. If you are a fan of gen13 or new mutants and the like, give it a shot. It's better than teen titans.
    Better than the current Teen Titans? Even with "The Dulling" killing any momentum that the Titans had I'd still put it above The Ravagers. I hadn't planned on picking up the Teen Titans at all with the new 52, but there was something fun and fresh in the first couple of issues that hooked me. Whether any of that remains post-Dulling is up for debate. But there wasn't anything in Ravagers that caught my interest, with the exception of Beast Boy. And he was shuffled out of the first issue pretty quickly to make room for more of the boring punch 'em ups that filled the crossover from which this book came. That's not a selling point for me.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I was going to pass by Dial H completely but all the love is making me think I need to check it out after all.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I got the bundle and I've gotten through them all except for Ravagers because I have to find an issue of Legion or Legion Lost (whatever has the culling pt 3 in it)

Batman Inc.-Pants.....If I was going off this issue it would be a buy, but the first couple of issues of the first run were buys too but by the end I was confused and scared and I don't want to go down that road again.
    Dial H- Borrow......It was interesting but it didn't grab me enough that I definitely want to read it each month.
    Earth 2 -Buy......This is doing what what the New 52 said they were going to, starting from scratch.
    G.I. Combat-Pants.......War comics have never really been a big read for me
    Ravagers-NA......I'm hoping by reading through the Culling I'll have a better understanding of what's going on and might enjoy it more.
    World's Finest-Buy.....Really enjoyed this plus I met the model for Perez's Huntress this weekend and she was pretty and if that's not a reason to buy a comic well I don't know what is.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Ravagers-NA......I'm hoping by reading through the Culling I'll have a better understanding of what's going on and might enjoy it more.
    Good luck on that. :-&
  • Options
    Well, I enjoyed the Ravagers. I like that Rose Wilson, Beast Boy and Terra (and even a revamped Thunder and Lightning) have a place in the new 52. I am intrigued by the tease about Beast Boy being red and I hope that someone can write him the way he should be written, which is of course very snarky, self-centered and annoying. I was a huge New Teen Titans fan, so I'm happy to see these characters again.

Here's hoping for a makeover from those horribly generic and overused "Tron" outfits they currently have, though.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    With World's finest #1 I'm surprised that no one had anything to say about how Huntress is siphoning money out of Bruce Wayne's bank account and it seems to be quite easy for them. This should set off red flags that would put Bruce/batman on their tail. They mention that Power Girl was using money to buy tech companies, so they have to be taking a ton of money. Didn't it seem awfully easy for them to just walk up and take money from Bruce Wayne?

Also, I'm surprised that no one mentioned that the Earth-1 Huntress, or at least the woman that would have become her in the main DCU is dead, and the Earth-2 Huntress has assumed her identity, one of many it seems.
  • Options

Batman Inc.-Pants.....If I was going off this issue it would be a buy, but the first couple of issues of the first run were buys too but by the end I was confused and scared and I don't want to go down that road again.
    Wimp! ;;)
  • Options
    mtk1966mtk1966 Posts: 5
    I agree with Murd that it's difficult to enjoy a book after you've built it up in your head as something else entirely. I personally enjoyed Earth 2. Even as an avid comic reader for thirty years, I have learned to approach most projects with a "Wait and see" attitude. I have had to train my comic geek mind to do so. I do not always succeed and can empathize with anyone feeling the same. I know what I would love to see from certain creators and am often disappointed mostly due to my own lofty expectations. That being said:

Batman, Inc-Buy.
    Dial H-Buy
    Earth 2-Buy
    G.I. Combat-Pants
    Ravagers-Pants
    Worlds' Finest-Buy

Damn. There goes my budget again. :)
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    edited June 2012

Here's hoping for a makeover from those horribly generic and overused "Tron" outfits they currently have, though.
    Yes please leave Tron to Tron, it was bad enough when Marvel did it with Fear Itself but you can almost forgive that because of the whole Disney thing but when DC is doing it too somebody needs to be sat down and have a talking to

Wimp! ;;)
    You call it wimp, I call it proactive confusion prevention. :D

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Finally read Ravagers #1.

Not of fan of Warblade's redesign, his older costume design in WildCAT's may not have translated well after all these years but this new one reminded me of 90's Image also. I hate that damn smile on his headgear.

The new take on Fairchild and how she powers up is insteresting, much different than her Gen 13 days. This I'm okay with.

Rose reminded me of Zealot in this uniform, and that's not a bad thing. I just hope there is room for two hot, white haired, dual sword wielding badass chicks in the new 52. Not that I see this book lasting any longer than some of the titles we have already seen get cancelled.

I do have a soft spot for 90's Image and this harkened back to those days, I'll give it a low borrow. But really, if I want to read 90's Image, I have two longboxes of 90's Image I can read for free to fill that need.

• Options
    Read Dial H, finally. I liked it a lot... maybe it's more accurate to say I appreciated it. Probably not a BUY for me, just because my budget and reading time are getting stretched too thin. But I'll probably grab issues to read when I run out of other new stuff now and then. Reading a few other DC titles that way.
  • Options
    But this current DC regime has made it pretty clear that ALL new books are moving away for those original concepts. Frankly it's being done mostly so these depictions will not be beholden to any original creators or estates of said creators.
    John do you have any confirmation that these changes are for legal reasons? I was under the impression DC had settled most of these years ago when the copyright terminations started. I spoke to Martin Nodells wife at a con some years ago, and she certainly made it seem they had come to a settlement with DC, including royalties on GL product. I'm not a lawyer either but it seems like most of the changes are pretty superficial and costume/origin/sexual orientation changes wouldnt be make them different enough to be considered "new" characters, when the names, secret identities and powers are all basically the same.

I love this book, i have been a big fan of the golden age heroes but this makes sense to me. This isnt the old earth 2 any more than Swamp Thing, Superboy, and JLI are what they once were.
  • Options
    I only bought Dial H and loved it. Thought the art and concepts were really creepy. Anyway who loved it should check out China Mieville's books. Just read The City and the City which was brilliant.
  • Options
    No More Bat Books!! Please! I like the core books but want some more variety. How about some kind of manga book. I've never read one before and would like to stick with DC. I can't say I love the way the asian animation looks but maybe it would take the DC storytellers in a new direction.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    No More Bat Books!! Please! I like the core books but want some more variety. How about some kind of manga book. I've never read one before and would like to stick with DC. I can't say I love the way the asian animation looks but maybe it would take the DC storytellers in a new direction.
    As long as the Bat books outsell most of the other titles, they'll keep adding more.

• Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    If you want something different you'll have to leave the big two,check out image or darkhorse.
  • Options
    HowardHoward Posts: 1
    Love the show. This is my first comment to you guys! I only bought Earth 2, as it was really the only one that I had any real interest. I have no prior knowledge of the previous "Earth 2" pre-crisis world, as I have been collecting comics since 1987.

Having said that, I loved Earth 2. I enjoy different time lines, and felt that this was a great start to a new book. I believe that people thought that they'd get an alternate Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman, and you've got to agree that DC certainly gave it to us! Let's see what they can do without the big 3... enjoy it for what it is, and not compare it to what it was!

At one point, I actually stopped reading it and said to my wife, "I'm really enjoying this book!"

The idea that Robin is Bruce Wayne's daughter was a great twist. Bravo DC, give us more!

Without a doubt, this was a "Buy" for me!
  • Options
    Love the show. This is my first comment to you guys! I only bought Earth 2, as it was really the only one that I had any real interest. I have no prior knowledge of the previous "Earth 2" pre-crisis world, as I have been collecting comics since 1987.

Having said that, I loved Earth 2. I enjoy different time lines, and felt that this was a great start to a new book. I believe that people thought that they'd get an alternate Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman, and you've got to agree that DC certainly gave it to us! Let's see what they can do without the big 3... enjoy it for what it is, and not compare it to what it was!

At one point, I actually stopped reading it and said to my wife, "I'm really enjoying this book!"

The idea that Robin is Bruce Wayne's daughter was a great twist. Bravo DC, give us more!

Without a doubt, this was a "Buy" for me!
    A comment and a question fer ya partner
    How did your wife respond?

And about the twists and not knowing this stuff from previous books:
    Lucky bastard.
    :)
  • Options
    Batman Inc. - Buy
    Dial H - Pants
    Earth 2 - Buy
    G.I. Combat - Borrow
    The Ravagers - Buy
    Worlds' Finest - Buy
    Yay some who dug ravagers!!!
    Why pants dial h?

I didn't care for the supernatural take on the H-Dial. To me it works better if it's a piece of alien tech or a device that was created in the future that some how found its way to the modern day.
  • Options
    It should also have a lighter tone to the story.