Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1234 Talkback: DC's New 52: The Second Wave

13»

Comments

• Options
    I thought the tone was perfect. The characters much more down to earth which I liked.
    And we don't know it isn't alien tech yet do we?
    Just got isue 2 and looking forward to it.
    Love the Brian Bolland covers.
  • Options
    I've never read original Dial H so maybe I enjoyed it more because I had no preconceived ideas about what it would be like.
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    So why do they even have Batman & Robin AND this book? I want to start collection B&R, and this just makes me feel like I'm forced into buying a Morrison book to keep up.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Nice to have you here Howard!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    It should also have a lighter tone to the story.
    Im liking the Supernatural theme. if you think about it, a 'Dial' phone now is pretty antiquated, almost what you'd call a 'relic' of it's times. so to give it a supernatural spin to me makes sense. old magic using 'oldish' tools.

If you want light youthful adventures about a boy with the ability to change into different types of hero, I suggest 'Ben 10' lol.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I didn't care for the supernatural take on the H-Dial. To me it works better if it's a piece of alien tech or a device that was created in the future that some how found its way to the modern day.
    Clarke's Law: Sufficiently-advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
  • Options
    I didn't care for the supernatural take on the H-Dial. To me it works better if it's a piece of alien tech or a device that was created in the future that some how found its way to the modern day.
    True, but a rotary phone isn't "Sufficiently-advanced technology"

• Options
    It should also have a lighter tone to the story.
    Im liking the Supernatural theme. if you think about it, a 'Dial' phone now is pretty antiquated, almost what you'd call a 'relic' of it's times. so to give it a supernatural spin to me makes sense. old magic using 'oldish' tools.

If you want light youthful adventures about a boy with the ability to change into different types of hero, I suggest 'Ben 10' lol.
    You joke but thats the best interpretation of the Dial H for Hero concept, I've seen. IMO

• Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    No More Bat Books!! Please! I like the core books but want some more variety. How about some kind of manga book. I've never read one before and would like to stick with DC. I can't say I love the way the asian animation looks but maybe it would take the DC storytellers in a new direction.
    At one point DC had CMX, a division for importing and translating Japanese manga. The line was shut down in 2010 because things weren't going well for manga. So its unlikely that DC will be going back to a manga book anytime soon.
  • Options
    True, but a rotary phone isn't "Sufficiently-advanced technology"

You, my friend, need to watch some more Doctor Who. The entire Tardis console is repurposed pinball machine parts!
  • Options
    I've watched Doctor Who and didn't care for it.
  • Options
    Sad, so sad. Well, that makes sense then. You aren't into magic phone booths. Dial H and Doctor Who are out. You probably shouldn't watch Bill & Ted either.

You might like the movie Outlander with Jim Cavezil though, it involved future tech in a historical earth setting. It was actually quite good.
  • Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    Murd's rant ...he is going off!
    Was flawless and insightful! You go, Murdo!
  • Options
    Sad, so sad. Well, that makes sense then. You aren't into magic phone booths. Dial H and Doctor Who are out. You probably shouldn't watch Bill & Ted either.

You might like the movie Outlander with Jim Cavezil though, it involved future tech in a historical earth setting. It was actually quite good.
    Loved Bill & Ted, and I really enjoyed Outlander!

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Well, finally I got around to this episode today. My picks (if anyone cares by now! :-) )
    Batman Incorporated: BUY --- But I dropped it from my pull list recently. Too much Batman!
    Earth 2: BUY---despite what Murd wholeheartedly said so well, I don't need to see 40's JSA revisited.
    GI Combat: (Was that the name of it? I don't have it here with me): BORROW. It just didn't grab me enough. I don't mind so much that Unknown Soldier was given an origin, but neither story made me want to read further, but if I had access to a friend's copy, I'd probably read it.
    Dial H: BORROW-- I was a little intrigued, but not enough to continue ordering it. (However I must've felt differently about it before. I got number 3 in the mail yesterday.)
    World's Finest--BUY: Yes, they sure are FINE! Like Jamie said, I was just zoomin' through those pages getting to the end and wanted more!!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I un-dropped Earth 2, and am glad I did.

As I hoped, it seems to be more of a sci-fi comic, set on a very different Earth which has actually been significantly changed by the presence of super-beings.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I un-dropped Earth 2, and am glad I did.

As I hoped, it seems to be more of a sci-fi comic, set on a very different Earth which has actually been significantly changed by the presence of super-beings.

Good Man! I've enjoyed every issue more than the one before.
  • Options
    My own verdict on the new additions:

Earth 2 -- buy
    GI Combat -- buy
    Batman, Inc -- buy
    Worlds' Finest -- buy
    Dial H -- buy
    Ravagers -- pants

No middle ground here for me, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I dropped Batman, Inc after 2 issues, I have ordered Earth 2 up to issue 6 but it is on the verge of being dropped. I, however, love World's Finest.