Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Man of Steel

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    What do they say?

Metropolis is New York during the day.

Gotham is New York at night.

If superman is the sun god from another world he should be "bright" by definition. Don't you think?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited July 2012
    If superman is the sun god from another world he should be "bright" by definition. Don't you think?
    Sadly, the movies always seem to make Superman smaller, somehow.

Like the plane-catching sequence at the beginning of Superman Returns, it's shown as some kind of epic struggle. Bah! He's freaking Superman! He can catch a plane in each hand and keep a dozen more aloft with his super-breath, while welding together damage to the plane's frame with his heat vision and calming the passengers with super-ventriloquism!

Never have I seen a movie Superman demonstrate the casual competence we saw from Iron Man in The Avengers.

For Rao's sake, can't someone let Superman be Super?
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    It's only a teaser...but I hope it isn't dark. The best I hope for is a '30's version of Superman. That would be perfect.
    Superman fighting old timey-looking robots, everyone driving around in giant cars and wearing hats, radio reporters with those big circular microphones, Lois Lane talking in snappy Dorothy Parker patter... man, that'd be my dream Superman movie. I remember seeing Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and thinking "why can't they do a Superman movie in this style?"

• Options
    It's only a teaser...but I hope it isn't dark. The best I hope for is a '30's version of Superman. That would be perfect.
    Superman fighting old timey-looking robots, everyone driving around in giant cars and wearing hats, radio reporters with those big circular microphones, Lois Lane talking in snappy Dorothy Parker patter... man, that'd be my dream Superman movie. I remember seeing Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and thinking "why can't they do a Superman movie in this style?"
    Agreed. For me, superheroes tend to work best in the era they were created. For most of the DC heroes, that's the late 30s-early 40s, for most Marvel heroes, that's the early 60s.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Sadly Superman as Ive ever known him is all but dead at this point. Damn shame.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Didn't know they were making a ridick sequel lol.
    I actually like jot els costume somewhat. Supes is just ... Well, no point beating a negative horse. Why remove the belt and trunks just to go out of your way adding silly lines to give the illusion of a belt and trunks.
    Actually they are making a riddick sequel.......

And the costume is too dark. That works for batman, not superman.

The Fleischer cartoons feature a darker costume and it works just fine.
  • Options
    Sadly Superman as Ive ever known him is all but dead at this point. Damn shame.
    Here he is!

I dropped Action and added this to my pull list instead.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I remember fans making color correction attempts with the last Superman film too.

What is so wrong with bright, primary colors?
    because it's not 'The Dark Knight'.

What?

I know it's not. I'm a agreeing with people that his suit is too dark. I'm asking why the studios have such a problem with bright colors on Supe's costume.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I remember fans making color correction attempts with the last Superman film too.

What is so wrong with bright, primary colors?
    because it's not 'The Dark Knight'.
    What?

I know it's not. I'm a agreeing with people that his suit is too dark. I'm asking why the studios have such a problem with bright colors on Supe's costume.
    I believe @Flintlockjaw meant that because The Dark Knight made buttloads of money, the studios are trying to make Man of Steel appear as Dark Knight-y as possible in hopes of making additional buttloads of money.

Heh. Dark Nightie.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited July 2012

Heh. Dark Nightie.
    That movie... could have been better.

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Didn't know they were making a ridick sequel lol.
    I actually like jot els costume somewhat. Supes is just ... Well, no point beating a negative horse. Why remove the belt and trunks just to go out of your way adding silly lines to give the illusion of a belt and trunks.
    Actually they are making a riddick sequel.......

And the costume is too dark. That works for batman, not superman.

The Fleischer cartoons feature a darker costume and it works just fine.
    Agreed. I don't think it's the color of the costume as much as the tone of the story. I actually like the costume itself, but all the posters we've seen have a very dark flavor to them and if that translates into a dark tone for the movie, I don't think it's a good idea. If the costume is a darker blue than people want, but the Superman presented in the movie is still a symbol of hope, I'm fine with it.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Any thoughts on the Superman teaser? I saw it online this morning before it got yanked and liked it. Apparently there are 2 versions each with the same footage. The first includes Kevin Costner (Pa Kent) narration & the other has Russell Crowe (Jor-El). I don't know if both are playing in theaters.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Trailer did not do anything for me, at all. Maybe I have to watch it again, but I say "feh".
  • Options
    the trailer we saw had the jor-el narration. sadly, it didn't pique my interest all that much.
  • Options

the trailer we saw had the jor-el narration. sadly, it didn't pique my interest all that much.

Bor-el?
  • Options
    from the planet krypt-yawn
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    We had Pa-Kent. Shane thought it was for a surprise Aquaman movie at first. I wasn't 100% until I saw the kid with the red cape. My guess, Nolan's Batman focused on Bruce Wayne, so we'll be getting more Clark than Superman.

M
  • Options
    I know it's the mantra of every overly sensitive geek in the world, but they really do seem to always screw up the costumes. The Richard Donner Superman was ok, but was a bit drab. The Tim Burton Batman was pretty good, but apparently everyone afterward has been trying to avoid any possible association and has gone to extremes to make the suit different.
    The Nolan costume is just too busy. Bale looks like a walking stealth bomber in it. I get that people think that's the way the "real" Batman would suit up, but I want to see the ultimate cinematic portrayal of the TEXTUAL Batman. The one from 'Hush', 'No Man's Land', and 'Night of the Owls'. The only person that came close was Sandy Collora in 'Dead End'. I thought his Batman was SPOT ON.
    So now we have a Superman costume that is way too over-textured. I don't know, I'll wait until I see it, but I'm not hopeful.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    The teaser is now officially online (for those not planning on going to the cinema to see Batman):

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39987
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I'm sorry but that teaser gave me goosebumps. If Snyder can keep that Terence Malick* style for at least the Smallville scenes, then it will truly be something different to his normal film-making style. Shame that apparently they haven't got the score composed/recorded yet and had to go with music from Lord of the Rings.

* Thanks to someone on AICN for the comparison.
  • Options
    JimKellyJimKelly Posts: 20
    Mad hate for this movie in this thread. I do understand where the concern is coming from. I'm excited for this interpretation though.
  • Options
    VKMarionVKMarion Posts: 37
    holy crap! that trailer has me so jazzed! I can't wait to see this.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Wow im unimpressed by this. I wish I could see the sdcc footage as Im sure it would probably sit better and impress me more. Superman hiding on a crab boat?
    I get a serious half Nolan half Michael Bay vibe from this.
    The Jor El narration was MUCH better than the Pa Kent version.
    The small image of Superman flying looked cool and shows promise.
    The bit with the kid was decent at least in theory but came off to me as a little cheezy just felt "fake". Looked too much like a car commercial or something to me.
    way too much of a Batman Begins tone and vibe. Thats not Superman.
    I want sooo much to be wrong and I hope this turns out good. Im sure there will of course be something good and enjoyable about it but I still seriously doubt it will be "Superman".
  • Options
    My sentiments exactly @batlaw
  • Options
    JimKelly said:

Mad hate for this movie in this thread. I do understand where the concern is coming from. I'm excited for this interpretation though.

Not hate so much as apathy.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I think the teaser was great.
    I can't wait to see more!
  • Options
    I don't get why people are saying superman can't have a darker tone and be more serious. Superman: Earth One , Superman: For Tomorrow and Grant Morrison's recent Action Run are great, well done examples of this. I am all for taking the character more seriously and giving the movie a grounded, real world vibe. More excited for this than any other Super hero movie that has been announced thus far.
  • Options
    I don't think "dark" equals "grounded" or "real world". The setting can be realistic and that's fine. Superman cannot be anxty and tortured though, that is Batman's trip. Superman HAS to be a big blue boy scout or he gets scary, quick. The Kansas farm boy, rock solid moral compass is crucial to the character. There are plenty of examples of what happens when that type of character goes off the reservation (Plutonian, Hyperion, Ultraman, etc). Even the bit at the end of Superman Returns when Supes is hovering outside his ex-girlfriends house like a psyco peeping-Tom was a little creepy to me. So, "dark" for me means brooding and conflicted. I don't have much room for that in my Superman. Maybe in Superboy before he worked that shit out in Smallville but not Superman. He needs to be a light on a hill, a beacon, a symbol of the best we can be.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Well the costumes are just another clue to me that this will be the 6th modern Superman movie that I will not like. I will admit that I have never been a fan of Superman. But with the right writer I have enjoyed some of his comics.
  • Options
    random73 said:

I don't think "dark" equals "grounded" or "real world". The setting can be realistic and that's fine. Superman cannot be anxty and tortured though, that is Batman's trip. Superman HAS to be a big blue boy scout or he gets scary, quick. The Kansas farm boy, rock solid moral compass is crucial to the character. There are plenty of examples of what happens when that type of character goes off the reservation (Plutonian, Hyperion, Ultraman, etc). Even the bit at the end of Superman Returns when Supes is hovering outside his ex-girlfriends house like a psyco peeping-Tom was a little creepy to me. So, "dark" for me means brooding and conflicted. I don't have much room for that in my Superman. Maybe in Superboy before he worked that shit out in Smallville but not Superman. He needs to be a light on a hill, a beacon, a symbol of the best we can be.

I was not talking about superman himself. Based on that trailer, he is still going to be a rock solid moral character ( one of the many reasons WHY he is my favorite character btw). The dark/gritty tone of the world, is to contrast how awesome and bad ass superman can be. Especially in the current market place, DC needs to establish that Superman is Top dog. WB is going to want movie audiences to believe Superman could kick that shit out of the avengers. Snyder says he's making a heavy action movie, which personally I am all for.