Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

Huh. So this Rocket Raccoon is the same one as in the Bill Mantlo/Mike Mignola mini-series? I'd been wondering... and am wondering still why his personality is so different from then. What did I miss?

With your question, I'm surprised you're not confounded at this group group being called the Guardians of the Galaxy, @Chuck_Melville.

Both the Current Rocket personality and the current Guardians came about from Annihilation: Conquest.
    Well, I'm still a bigger fan of the original GOTG than the current crew, but I was aware that the line-up had changed, though I hadn't read Annihilation: Conquest. I didn't realize Rocket's personality was altered during that storyline either.

Yeah, it's Rocket's (new) personality that's made him a fan-favorite these past few years. That, and his awesomeness. And looks like the movie will reflect that.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    rebis said:

Tonebone said:

And, along with Swagger, I get the distinct, and unusual, impression that the marketing people behind the trailer and poster have some faith in the product. Unlike a certain warlord from mars I could name.

Unlike WoM, I think GotG got the lead right.
    Think about it. If WoM had someone like Josh Brolin as the lead. It would have destroyed the box office.
    Is this Warlord of Mars you speak of "John Carter"? If so, I don't see how he could have made any difference. He's never had to anchor a movie like that. His two huge hits, MIB 3 and True Grit had other stars and things drawing people to the movie. The marketing team behind John Carter dropped the ball. I don't know what they thought they were doing, maybe they didn't have anything to work with (I haven't seen the movie) but nothing about the ads peeked my interest or apparently anyone else's. I don't think it was the lead, I like the guy they chose as the lead and many who are familiar with him from Friday Night Lights do as well. The ads just didn't do anything. I don't think most people understood what it was even supposed to be about.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Planeis said:

rebis said:

Tonebone said:

And, along with Swagger, I get the distinct, and unusual, impression that the marketing people behind the trailer and poster have some faith in the product. Unlike a certain warlord from mars I could name.

Think about it. If WoM had someone like Josh Brolin as the lead. It would have destroyed the box office.
    Is this Warlord of Mars you speak of "John Carter"? If so, I don't see how he could have made any difference. He's never had to anchor a movie like that. His two huge hits, MIB 3 and True Grit had other stars and things drawing people to the movie. The marketing team behind John Carter dropped the ball. I don't know what they thought they were doing, maybe they didn't have anything to work with (I haven't seen the movie) but nothing about the ads peeked my interest or apparently anyone else's. I don't think it was the lead, I like the guy they chose as the lead and many who are familiar with him from Friday Night Lights do as well. The ads just didn't do anything. I don't think most people understood what it was even supposed to be about.
    I'd say it suffered more from mis-marketing like the Rocketeer did then script like the Shadow, Green Hornet, & Lone Ranger. In fact, the Phantom was probably the best balanced pulp character movie.

And Brolin can't anchor a movie? No love for the Goonies?!

M
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Matt said:

Planeis said:

rebis said:

Tonebone said:

I'd say it suffered more from mis-marketing like the Rocketeer did then script like the Shadow, Green Hornet, & Lone Ranger. In fact, the Phantom was probably the best balanced pulp character movie.

M
    Josh Brolin could be the anchor in major film? Do we all really have that short of a memory? ;)

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Brolin was class in Gangsta Squad. And I'll say it, I thought his roll in mib3 was underrated. He nailed the tommy lee jones-a-like.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    luke52 said:

Brolin was class in Gangsta Squad.

And Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo.
  • Options
    First three issues of GOTG is going for $46 on EBay. I got them so I'll wait.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

The Annihilation Conquest - Starlord mini is the book that should be demanding a high price.
  • Options

I've got the first appearance of the original team. :-)
  • Options

Yea... I did a search on ebay last night for some issues. Prices are... insane. No thank you. I'll get the trades of the old stuff from the library and seek out other venues for the new ones.
  • Options
    My local shop has this on the back wall.

• Options
    Its amazing some stuff that was once in the bargain bins have increased due to the movies.
  • Options
    I'm surprised Marvel hasn't solicited a trade of the Annihilation Conquest Star Lord mini called "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (Annihilation Conquest StarLord)"
  • Options
    Don't mean to pimp other podcasts, but going to be giving this one a listen to over the next day or so ...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=95048

James Gunn Talks More GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, Thanos, Filming And Post-Production

Notably commenting on Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet, Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn talks lengthily about many things surrounding the filmmaking process.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited February 2014

I'm surprised Marvel hasn't solicited a trade of the Annihilation Conquest Star Lord mini called "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (Annihilation Conquest StarLord)"

I don't care how they solicit it... the Annihilation Conquest Star Lord mini should be mandatory reading. More people should know about it, cause it was really really great. It was the start of the modern resurgence of Marvel's cosmic corner.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited February 2014
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Matt said:

Planeis said:

rebis said:

Tonebone said:

M
    Josh Brolin could be the anchor in major film? Do we all really have that short of a memory? ;)

He also was Dubya in "W".
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

It's really unfair to blame an actor for that ill-conceived fustercluck.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    luke52 said:

Brolin was class in Gangsta Squad. And I'll say it, I thought his roll in mib3 was underrated. He nailed the tommy lee jones-a-like.

I loved him in MIB3.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I've got to quit using phrases like "an actor like "_______""
    I didn't mean Josh Brolin specifically. However, an actor that looks like he has some hard miles under him would have gone a long way to convey that John Carter was a "Fighting Man"
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    rebis said:

I didn't mean Josh Brolin specifically. However, an actor that looks like he has some hard miles under him would have gone a long way to convey that John Carter was a "Fighting Man"

Yeah, I think that goes away from what they're trying to do. By casting a younger actor, they could get a franchise-worth of movies out of him/her.

M
  • Options
    In other news, I've managed to procure myself a lot of Guardians of the Galaxy comics and so far... so good!
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Planeis said:

In other news, I've managed to procure myself a lot of Guardians of the Galaxy comics and so far... so good!

What have you got?? Any recommendations?
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Matt said:

rebis said:

Yeah, I think that goes away from what they're trying to do. By casting a younger actor, they could get a franchise-worth of movies out of him/her.

M
    I understand that argument. However by doing so they cast a lead that had all the weight of a soup bubble.
  • Options
    AxelBrass said:

Planeis said:

What have you got?? Any recommendations?
    Well, I got trades of the original team from the library and borrowed the more modern reboot with the team that will be in the movies. I'm more or less totally unfamiliar with cosmic Marvel. I've read 7 issues of the GOTG reboot and I think its pretty OK
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Panel with James Gunn, Chris Pratt and Kevin Feige, good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDGc0KAKzXY#t=443
  • Options
    Just about to post that. Great interview.

And wait, what? Did they really allude to a possible appearance by Cosmo??
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Just about to post that. Great interview.

And wait, what? Did they really allude to a possible appearance by Cosmo??

That would be a nice nod to the fans. Now, if they can just figure out how to make the team's base of operations a disembodied Celestial head floating on the edge of reality...

• Options
    A floating Celestial head would be epic.