Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Not a fan of the dancing in these movies...at all.

Because nobody ever dances in real life.
    Especially in movies where the pop music soundtrack plays such an integral part, is featured so prominently, and the lead character dancing in the movie is a huge music fan... nah.
    Doesn't change my eye rolling instinct for whatever movie it occurs.

M
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Not in the circles I hang...or that's over the age of 5.
    C’mon, Matt. Bryan is all about the blues dancing these days. And don’t even tell me Peter doesn’t dance. (I'd be willing to be Adam has a few disco moves in his repertoire too.) :D
  • Options

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

C’mon, Matt. Bryan is all about the blues dancing these days. And don’t even tell me Peter doesn’t dance. (I'd be willing to be Adam has a few disco moves in his repertoire too.) :D
    The circle I hang with primarily is Meg & our daughter...and I run our house like its Bomont!!!

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    edited August 2014

Proving there is no accounting for good taste, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, with a 20% rating over at Rotten Tomatoes, creepy CGI nostrils and all, did a shocking $65 million to take first place at the box office last weekend. Paramount seized the opportunity to announce a sequel coming June 3, 2016 (less than 2 years away).

Guardians of the Galaxy dropped to second place following a record breaking opening, adding $41 million to its $175 million domestic total and an additional $137 million in foreign sales to date.

In other cool GotG news, according to Billboard.com, the compilation of songs picked out by writer/director James Gunn for "Awesome Mix Vol. 1," has not only reached the top of the Billboard 200, but is the first soundtrack ever to do so without featuring a single new song. Instead, the album only consists of pop and rock songs that were released in the 1960s and 1970s.

Much higher audience rating doh

Also, even though everyone I know seems to like the original TMNT and TMNT II, not a single ninja turtles movie has a positive critics score on RT.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    David_D said:
    Wow. That's a deep cut. That movie legit scared me as a kid.
  • Options
    David_D said:
    All because I dislike the dancing? Good think we weren't discussing the Incredibles movie!

M
  • Options
    Since the prior post-credit scenes (excluding IM3 & Avengers) have lead into a movie...any chance Seth Green will be getting the next Marvel Cosmic movie? A one-shot? Could this just be a 1 & done thing?

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Matt said:

David_D said:
    All because I dislike the dancing? Good think we weren't discussing the Incredibles movie!

M
    More for hating all dancing everywhere ;)
  • Options
    David_D said:

Matt said:

David_D said:

M
    More for hating all dancing everywhere ;)
    I never said everywhere....who doesn't like girls dance at a jiggly room?!

M
  • Options
    @Matt‌ just doesn't like joy or light-heartedness in his superheroes. Just like this guy:

• Options
    edited August 2014

@Matt‌ just doesn't like joy or light-heartedness in his superheroes. Just like this guy:

Yup. RDJ's Stark has comedical bits, but he comes off as an essentric & showman. Pratt's Starlord didn't come off as either. This was the first movie I thought took it about 3 steps too far.

M
  • Options
    I feel like I wasted a perfectly good Footloose reference :-/
  • Options

I feel like I wasted a perfectly good Footloose reference :-/

Did that go you thought it would go? Nope.

http://youtu.be/WzTIhm6YMQk

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

And child abductions occur in real life too...doesn't mean I have to like them in movies either.

M
    Spoken like a true DC / non-Marvel fan...
  • Options

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

And child abductions occur in real life too...doesn't mean I have to like them in movies either.

M
    Spoken like a true DC / non-Marvel fan...
    Haha, its funny how on a Batman website I'm constantly accused of hating DC & being a Marvel lover.

Its nice to know you dislike the tone of ONE Marvel movie (out of 9), that's different from the rest and suddenly you dislike Marvel. I wonder what would've been said if I liked this movie's tone & disliked Winter Soldier's?!

M
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Planeis said:

Proving there is no accounting for good taste, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, with a 20% rating over at Rotten Tomatoes, creepy CGI nostrils and all, did a shocking $65 million to take first place at the box office last weekend. Paramount seized the opportunity to announce a sequel coming June 3, 2016 (less than 2 years away).

Guardians of the Galaxy dropped to second place following a record breaking opening, adding $41 million to its $175 million domestic total and an additional $137 million in foreign sales to date.

In other cool GotG news, according to Billboard.com, the compilation of songs picked out by writer/director James Gunn for "Awesome Mix Vol. 1," has not only reached the top of the Billboard 200, but is the first soundtrack ever to do so without featuring a single new song. Instead, the album only consists of pop and rock songs that were released in the 1960s and 1970s.

Much higher audience rating doh

Also, even though everyone I know seems to like the original TMNT and TMNT II, not a single ninja turtles movie has a positive critics score on RT.
    I never understand the rush to use movie review compilation sites as a true test of a movie's success. The TMNT critic rating is using only 93 reviews compared to the over 86 thousand used for the audience rating. 'Nuff said. Haha. As I said in another TMNT thread, there's no reason to attack people's tastes or interests in a movie just because they want to see a new TMNT for a new audience/generation. It's incredibly snobbish to try and paint an audience in that way. Sure - TMNT has name recognition over GOTG. People and kids like them both for different reasons. It's just great that there is so much content out there to share with my own. And if it then sends them off to check out the earlier movies or TMNT cartoons or comics, even better.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Haha, its funny how on a Batman website I'm constantly accused of hating DC & being a Marvel lover.

Its nice to know you dislike the tone of ONE Marvel movie (out of 9), that's different from the rest and suddenly you dislike Marvel. I wonder what would've been said if I liked this movie's tone & disliked Winter Soldier's?!

M

You essentially said you don't care for the Marvel movies on the podcast, but I was referring to you disliking things like the lead character dancing in the movie. It makes you appear to prefer the DC movies which are somber, dark, gritty...

• Options
    edited August 2014

Matt said:

M

You essentially said you don't care for the Marvel movies on the podcast, but I was referring to you disliking things like the lead character dancing in the movie. It makes you appear to prefer the DC movies which are somber, dark, gritty...

When did I say I (meaning actually me) didn't like Marvel movies? Winter Soldier was amazing. I was the one who stated "if both BvS and Cap 3 came out the same weekend & I can only pick one to see, I'm seeing Cap 3."

In the review ep thread, I even compared the Marvel movies of all being A's. GotG just ranking in the lower 90s percentage-wise.

And I don't like Quill dancing in GotG. I also thought the humor in this movie went beyond the norm for Marvel movies; something I didn't care for in this instance. I do like movies somber, dark, & gritty, but I also like lighter tone movies like Avengers, First Avenger, Iron Man 3, etc.

M
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Matt said:

When did I say I (meaning actually me) didn't like Marvel movies? Winter Soldier was amazing. I was the one who stated "if both BvS and Cap 3 came out the same weekend & I can only pick one to see, I'm seeing Cap 3."

Mea culpa. In the episode you mention, #1493, I barely listened to that episode and must have misinterpreted a lot of that discussion - on all sides. So yes, I'm mistaken. Thanks for correcting my perspective.
  • Options

Matt said:

Mea culpa. In the episode you mention, #1493, I barely listened to that episode and must have misinterpreted a lot of that discussion - on all sides. So yes, I'm mistaken. Thanks for correcting my perspective.
    No problem, you just shocked me with that. I have more faith in Marvel Studios right now then I do with WB/DC...despite really liking MoS. I might not view every movie a 4-5/5, but MS is still doing amazing movies worth watching & owning.

M
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

=
    I never understand the rush to use movie review compilation sites as a true test of a movie's success. The TMNT critic rating is using only 93 reviews compared to the over 86 thousand used for the audience rating. 'Nuff said. Haha. As I said in another TMNT thread, there's no reason to attack people's tastes or interests in a movie just because they want to see a new TMNT for a new audience/generation. It's incredibly snobbish to try and paint an audience in that way. Sure - TMNT has name recognition over GOTG. People and kids like them both for different reasons. It's just great that there is so much content out there to share with my own. And if it then sends them off to check out the earlier movies or TMNT cartoons or comics, even better.

Like I said " there is no accounting for good taste"

• Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Guys, can we stop fighting? Some of us like the movie, some do not. We all have our reasons. Can we just let it go?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Sounds like some sad, sad circles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KbP7VMLVg0
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Sounds like some sad, sad circles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KbP7VMLVg0
    http://youtu.be/p6MyeCXmiKw

M
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited August 2014
    mphil said:

Guys, can we stop fighting? Some of us like the movie, some do not. We all have our reasons. Can we just let it go?

Are we fighting? I just thought that the movies been out for a while, everything useful has been said and now we're all just having a little fun, some if not good-natured then at least benign ribbing, because there haven't been too many exciting new topics to move on to. If anyone's feeling are hurt, please say so!

For the record, I liked the movie but I also did not want to marry it. In my rankings of Marvel movies it was 5 of 9, squarely in the middle (I haven't seen Thor 2 yet).
  • Options

For the record, I liked the movie but I also did not want to marry it

Winning.

• Options
    Guardians of the Galaxy broke the $200 Million mark Friday, ending with an estimated $222,281,000.00 for a 17 day total. Actually putting it ahead of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Amazing Spider-Man 2 and X-Men: Days of Future Past at the same point in their domestic box office runs.

http://youtu.be/mtCHkDtIWJI

Gear and Garb of the Galaxy
  • Options

Guardians of the Galaxy broke the $200 Million mark Friday, ending with an estimated $222,281,000.00 for a 17 day total.

It's at $419m internationally now.

• Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    edited August 2014

RepoMan said:

=

Like I said " there is no accounting for good taste"

Wow. Well - I guess you enjoy being that way. I'd rather let people enjoy what they want, how they want and not worry so much about any kind of false perception that a person should be judged by what they like or not. Carry on with the snobbery! :)