Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited August 2014
    Planeis said:

hauberk said:

WetRats said:

Planeis said:

Didn't like seeing yet another huge spaceship slam into a heavily populated city.

An explicitly evacuated city.
    How about the running gun battle through the very much unevavuated Nowhere? Ok since it was Mos Eisley in a Celestial a Skull?
    Here's what you need to know. No one cares about violence in Marvel movies. Not sure if its the humor or the bright colors, but one or both of those things means they can have people dying left and right and most people go "huh? what violence?"
    I think this actually speaks to is the success of the tone they struck in those Marvel movies. Sure, there is a lot of violence and destruction, and that is not to be discounted. But the are also mindful of showing the heroes trying to avoid that, or save people. Sometimes, for better or for worse as a culture, those are the things that allow viewers to not be as concerned about the cartoon violence they are seeing. Not because they don't see it, but because they feel like the characters who they are supposed to be on the side of in the fictional crisis they are watching are not themselves blase about the fictional people in peril.

I think it is something Marvel movies have succeeded in being mindful about. And it doesn't take much-- a few minutes, or even seconds, spent showing that the heroes care about the civilians go a long way. Some that come to mind off the top of my head:

In Guardians there was beat that was to do with evacuating the city, as well as a whole sequence in the climax about Rocket and the pirates working WITH the Nova Corp to defend the city. And we were meant to believe the city was evacuated by the time the ship crashed. Now, sure, it is actually ridiculous to believe the city COULD be evacuated that fast. But but making a point of it, they gave us permission to believe that.

In Iron Man 2, Tony and Rhodey lead the drones away from the fair where the people are into that empty arboretum to fight them there.

In Avengers, when they are dividing the labor, I am pretty sure there is a moment where, I think it is Hawkeye and Black Widow, are tasked with saving people while the others fight the aliens. Plus Iron Man's would be sacrifice is all about taking the danger away from the people. And throughout the climactic battle the film even tracks the experience of a civilian- the waitress in the restaurant across from Grand Central- to give a perspective of what it was like to be caught in the middle of that, and be SAVED by the Avengers.

In Winter Soldier they evacuate the headquarters, even see a shot of people running out of the buliding, before the helicarrier comes down.

I think that those sorts of things make the violence and big moments of destruction seem lighter in tone than they are in some other movies, because it seems like the heroes (and, to some extent, the filmmakers) are trying to make us feel like things aren't as bad for the civilians as it could be. Now, culturally, is it better that we can have PG-13 films full of violence-with-no-blood and have a light toned movie make us feel comfortable with that? Well, that is a separate conversation. But I will agree that Marvel movies tend to get a pass on this, but I think it is because they are purposefully, and sometimes skillfully, making a tone where the casualties are low and the heroes are mindful of the little people.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

In Guardians there was beat that was to do with evacuating the city, as well as a whole sequence in the climax about Rocket and the pirates working WITH the Nova Corp to defend the city. And we were meant to believe the city was evacuated by the time the ship crashed. Now, sure, it is actually ridiculous to believe the city COULD be evacuated that fast. But but making a point of it, they gave us permission to believe that.

After years of war with Kree, is it so hard to believe that the city would have a high-tech, high-speed city evacuation system and that the citizens would be well-drilled in its use?
  • Options
    David_D said:

I think that those sorts of things make the violence and big moments of destruction seem lighter in tone than they are in some other movies, because it seems like the heroes (and, to some extent, the filmmakers) are trying to make us feel like things aren't as bad for the civilians as it could be. Now, culturally, is it better that we can have PG-13 films full of violence-with-no-blood and have a light toned movie make us feel comfortable with that? Well, that is a separate conversation. But I will agree that Marvel movies tend to get a pass on this, but I think it is because they are purposefully, and sometimes skillfully, making a tone where the casualties are low and the heroes are mindful of the little people.

Also, the people explicitly dying onscreen are almost always combatants, not civilians.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Wasn't it Ronan's goons that were doing most if not all of the shooting...doing what bad guys do.

Not that I am, but I would be more concerned over all of the stray shots that got fired from General Ross' chopper when chasing down the Hulk and Abomination.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I guess I'm surprised at all this talk of violence, and that people are bothered by it. This message board is populated by people who read super-hero comics and attend popcorn summer movies; if pretend violence is that problematic, why do so many of us identify as fans of adventure/fantasy/crime/super-hero fiction that is uniformly violent? Guardians had the same kind of bloodless/PG/sci-fi violence that all of this material typically depicts; it seemed no more violent than anything else I've seen this summer (I saw the latest installments of X-Men, Spider-Man, Capt. America, Planet of the Apes, Transformers and maybe something else), nor did it seem more violent than every superhero comic published in the last 40 years. Violence is certainly a problem in the real world, but I don't think that a Congolese rape squad goes on rampages because of a videogame or a Chris Evans movie.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    RickM said:

I guess I'm surprised at all this talk of violence, and that people are bothered by it. This message board is populated by people who read super-hero comics and attend popcorn summer movies; if pretend violence is that problematic, why do so many of us identify as fans of adventure/fantasy/crime/super-hero fiction that is uniformly violent? Guardians had the same kind of bloodless/PG/sci-fi violence that all of this material typically depicts; it seemed no more violent than anything else I've seen this summer (I saw the latest installments of X-Men, Spider-Man, Capt. America, Planet of the Apes, Transformers and maybe something else), nor did it seem more violent than every superhero comic published in the last 40 years. Violence is certainly a problem in the real world, but I don't think that a Congolese rape squad goes on rampages because of a videogame or a Chris Evans movie.

i think it was just @Planeis‌ who had an issue...
  • Options
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

After years of war with Kree, is it so hard to believe that the city would have a high-tech, high-speed city evacuation system and that the citizens would be well-drilled in its use?
    SOMEBODY is looking for a No Prize.
  • Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

We're not talking a modern-day Earth metropolis here.

If they have the foresight to develop an all-fighters-gang-up-and-make-a-giant-energy-web/cage-thing just in case bad guy mustn't touch the planet, does really efficient civil defense seem so far out?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

If they have the foresight to develop an all-fighters-gang-up-and-make-a-giant-energy-web/cage-thing just in case bad guy mustn't touch the planet, does really efficient civil defense seem so far out?
    We didn't see that, but I think that is fair to imagine.

I didn't say you weren't getting the No-Prize ;)
  • Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

We didn't see that, but I think that is fair to imagine.

I didn't say you weren't getting the No-Prize ;)
    Thanks!
  • Options
    why do my comments need approval before posting all of a sudden?
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

why do my comments need approval before posting all of a sudden?

That might have been an error in the system. I am not seeing anything set that way. Could you try posting again and see if it is still happening?
  • Options
    Maybe they figured out what "bamf" stands for?

:-)
  • Options
    nevermind.. i tried posting the Ben Affleck Jimmy Fallon youtube interview in the other thread.. and it said it had to be approved.. maybe my youtube posting privileges were taken away...

oh well.. no biggy..

BAMFBAMF = the sound my fave character makes...
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

nevermind.. i tried posting the Ben Affleck Jimmy Fallon youtube interview in the other thread.. and it said it had to be approved.. maybe my youtube posting privileges were taken away...

oh well.. no biggy..

BAMFBAMF = the sound my fave character makes...

I don't think there is a function that parses posting privileges that finely. I think it may have been a quirk-- have you tried posting the video again?
  • Options
    Yikes, @JaxUr‌ ... you're posting that in the non-spoiler thread.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Make your own dancing baby Groot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxxOi9fUNs8

Instructions can be found here, via Facebook gallery step-by-step
  • Options

Yikes, @JaxUr‌ ... you're posting that in the non-spoiler thread.

That actually reminds me-- I meant to amalgamate these two threads days ago. . .
  • Options
  • Options
    David_D said:

AMALGAMATED!

The new and improved Guardians of the Galaxy thread! Now with 25% more amalgamation!

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    bamfbamf said:

RickM said:

i think it was just @Planeis‌ who had an issue...
    I wasn't even the first to mention the violence I don't think and there's been a couple people who have said they "agree with everything" in my review. But I'm definitely in the minority.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

I never even noticed the gorgeous woman... I was too mesmerized/fascinated/transfixed by the Glenn Close's hair!

Not sure if this got answered already, but I'm pretty sure the pretty woman near Glenn Close throughout the movie is the directors girlfriend.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Up until this past weekend, I continued to not be interested in GotG. My wife told me she heard good things & wanted to see it, so we did. It was exactly what I expected. It reminded me of why I'm not a Marvel Cosmic guy, a little bit too much humor, & battle scenes still copying the Star Wars prequels.

I enjoyed Rocket as the Joe Pesci of the group (I got the Hangover nod) & liked Groot (mostly knowing despite the innocence of the character, he's played by an action star.) The dry humor of Drax ("oh, I was thinking about something else") was good.

I didn't dig Thanos' golden body. Also surprised The Other (Alexis Denisof) was killed off already. Wish Thanos had a little more to do.

I have to research Nebula's new look (I'm more familiar with her IG look), but thought the make-up was amazing.

Not a fan of the dancing in these movies...at all. It always takes me out of these movies. I also was taken out of the movie at times with some of Quill's zingers. He was 8 when he was abducted? That seems young to have seen or grasp Footloose. There was a couple other times I questioned what actually saw & comprehend at that age.

I don't think its in the gallows with the Incredible Hulk, but I'd put it right above it with Thor & Iron Man 2 (not saying any of these are bad, just not on par with other Marvel movies.) I felt that after the step forward the MU made with Winter Soldier, this took 2 steps back.

M
  • Options
    Proving there is no accounting for good taste, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, with a 20% rating over at Rotten Tomatoes, creepy CGI nostrils and all, did a shocking $65 million to take first place at the box office last weekend. Paramount seized the opportunity to announce a sequel coming June 3, 2016 (less than 2 years away).

Guardians of the Galaxy dropped to second place following a record breaking opening, adding $41 million to its $175 million domestic total and an additional $137 million in foreign sales to date.

In other cool GotG news, according to Billboard.com, the compilation of songs picked out by writer/director James Gunn for "Awesome Mix Vol. 1," has not only reached the top of the Billboard 200, but is the first soundtrack ever to do so without featuring a single new song. Instead, the album only consists of pop and rock songs that were released in the 1960s and 1970s.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Not a fan of the dancing in these movies...at all.

Because nobody ever dances in real life.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Especially in movies where the pop music soundtrack plays such an integral part, is featured so prominently, and the lead character dancing in the movie is a huge music fan... nah.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited August 2014
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Not in the circles I hang...or that's over the age of 5.

And child abductions occur in real life too...doesn't mean I have to like them in movies either.

M