Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Where to find comics work

Comments

• Options
    Um...
    Comics anyone?
    Self publishing?
    Anyone had success using Indy planet?
    Anyone prepping digital comics?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited July 2012
    Um...
    Comics anyone?
    Self publishing?
    I bought somebody's books off of Indy Planet. Something about two crooks who off a superhero or something like that and there's this Wonder Woman wannabe in it...
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Um...
    Comics anyone?
    Self publishing?
    I bought somebody's books off of Indy Planet. Something about two crooks who off a superhero or something like that and there's this Wonder Woman wannabe in it...
    That sounds horrible! What hack wrote that piece of tripe? :)

To answer the question - Indyplanet is great to use and help with distribution as well. Much easier to direct someone to Indyplanet to order your book if you're "Not Quite Ready for Diamond".

That said, we have a local printer here in Arizona I plan to use for reprints and future work on my own book - Travis the Undying. Thugs and Dedlock will likely remain with KaBlam.

Self-publishing is easy. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can do it. Self-promoting is the key. You have to get in good with local stores that will let you show up for in-store signings. You need to go to any convention you can afford to go to. You need to prepare yourself to sit at your booth and feel like you're doing something wrong while crowds gather at the two booths on either side of you. You need to value and appreciate those people who DO come to your table, even if they don't buy anything.

Digital comics are a mixed bag. I'm making up my mind whether or not take take all my books digital or not and put them up for free on the website. Anyone can make a .pdf of their work, so there's that route to take as well. I know the guys who do Rainbow in the Dark go that route and sell it for a buck a download.
  • Options

Other considerations: What percentage is the writer offering? You're doing the heavy lifting, it's okay for you to make more on the print books than the writer is. (Don't worry, writers, if you created this concept and fear that the artist will take too big a slice of the Big Hollywood Bucks™, you can always specify that the artist gets 75% of the print revenue and specify a different percentage for ancillary rights). Is the writer taking care of the lettering, pre-press, web hosting, publisher negotiations, etc? If so, this could bring it closer to a 50/50 split.
    This is essentially how Steve (Flintlockjaw) and I treat Thugs!. I'm a writer, he's an artist, but our work on the final product usually evens out to an even split on things (I do the book hawking, letter the book (he did the upcoming issue#5 so I'd stop putting my word balloons over his purty pictures! :) ), put the pages on the website, etc.). If you're a writer and you can't afford to pay your artist, and you're not known enough to offer them "exposure", you might have to be prepared to give up total ownership of your "baby"*, and part of that involves finding an artist willing to take you up on that.

* In the case of Thugs!, it wasn't me giving up anything, I should note. Steve came to me and said "Let's make a book" and the rest is comic book legend... :) Ours is a really rare case, though. Writers generally need artists more than the reverse - where comics are concerned.

• Options
    I didn't know that you draw, Mike. Do you have any links to your work?

Sorry to ramble and to have gone off topic with my own advice to others, rather than providing solid leads to work.
    Steve, this is exactly on topic and thanks for the insight. The purpose of this thread was to help educate people trying to get in as well as share anecdotes for those already in at whatever level.

You can view my stuff at lilmikeegee.deviantart.com

I went to art school. I was first published in my senior year in HS. I have work published by Young American comics, Alterna, PKD Media, and BullSpec magazine. I have been doing graphic design work since the 80s and comics on and off when I had the time.

I agree with your advice. Comics is selling yourself, the art is just part of it.
    And be prepared to hear criticism and grow from it. The best tool for getting better is to acknowledge your weaknesses and grow from them. There are people who will love everything you do and people who will hate everything you do. It's the ones that give thoughtful criticism that move you forward, be it positive or negative. No one is perfect. Everyone should always be trying to do better.
  • Options
    For writers, some thoughts on structuring a relationship with a collaborator, if you are unable to pay a page rate:

2) Forget about a 50/50 split with the artist.
    Don't be afraid to get creative with your contract. I've seen many ads on comics forums where writers say "When we find a publisher, we'll split the profits 50/50." As someone that's written and drawn for myself, written for others and worked from scripts from other writers, I can say that the division of labor isn't 50/50. No matter how much time you put into research and writing various drafts of a script, it won't equal the time it takes for the artist to research and draw the book. It takes me, on average 12-20 hours to pencil and ink a page. That's about 2 months full-time work to draw a single issue.

There are many ways to go about fair (and creative) splits for collaborators on a budget.
    My two cents:
    As an artist, I would rather have $10-$20 a page than a split of the book. At the stage I'm at I'm looking more for being published than a big paycheck. If the writer has the book signed with a publisher then I will do it for free or a split or comps just to get published. Comps are a great tool for your future as you have something you can send to bigger publishers or sell at cons.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I am not an artist, but I think some conventions still have portfolio reviews don't they? i'm not sure if this is to help artists' improve their craft or scout out new talent. I thought Marvel stopped doing these several years ago, but has re-started up again.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    This has turned into a great thread. :D
    I wrote a novel which I self published about 3 years ago. Through social media and word of mouth I managed to get to no.9 in the Amazon sci-fi/fantasy charts for a week, which at the time, was beyond awesome to me.
    This year my big project is to write and draw my own comic. I've done the story and now I'm slowly getting through the art. Once the issue is done, I'm going to hawk it around and see if anyone's interested. Otherwise I shall release it myself, and use it to try to get interest from other artists/writers to work with me to complete the story (which would be 4 issues). so far that's what's working for me, but I'll definately be asking for advice and ideas from forum conversations like this.

keep up the good work guys!
  • Options

My two cents:
    As an artist, I would rather have $10-$20 a page than a split of the book. At the stage I'm at I'm looking more for being published than a big paycheck. If the writer has the book signed with a publisher then I will do it for free or a split or comps just to get published. Comps are a great tool for your future as you have something you can send to bigger publishers or sell at cons.
    If you're serious about a $10 page rate, contact me. Let's talk about putting a book together. :)
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    This has turned into a great thread. :D
    I wrote a novel which I self published about 3 years ago. Through social media and word of mouth I managed to get to no.9 in the Amazon sci-fi/fantasy charts for a week, which at the time, was beyond awesome to me.
    This year my big project is to write and draw my own comic. I've done the story and now I'm slowly getting through the art. Once the issue is done, I'm going to hawk it around and see if anyone's interested. Otherwise I shall release it myself, and use it to try to get interest from other artists/writers to work with me to complete the story (which would be 4 issues). so far that's what's working for me, but I'll definately be asking for advice and ideas from forum conversations like this.

keep up the good work guys!
    Are you going to do Kickstarter if you can't find a publisher? I have only backed a few things, but I'm guessing if you have the work done that it would be an easy sell. Plus if you get one famous creator to back it the general population seems more apt to back it.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    Are you going to do Kickstarter if you can't find a publisher? I have only backed a few things, but I'm guessing if you have the work done that it would be an easy sell. Plus if you get one famous creator to back it the general population seems more apt to back it.
    Hey Nick. It's definately a viable option. Something I will be weighing up over the next few months while I finish the comic off (it's all in my spare time and I'm doing EVERYTHING). Having a finished product will definately help. I think I might try to use kickstarter to get copies printed for cons etc at least. I definately need to investigate it more.
  • Options
    So someone is going to dislike everything is say? Awesome!!
  • Options
    Who else here is on deviantART? I'm at http://mworrell.deviantart.com
  • Options
    Who else here is on deviantART? I'm at http://mworrell.deviantart.com
    Nice vector! Your logo designs are slick!
  • Options
    http://studiofugazi.deviantart.com/
    A super girl to add to my collection!

Cool!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    A super girl to add to my collection!

Cool!

Check out the Anti-Con 2012 thread then, Mike. Al drew an awesome hotpants-costume Supergirl for me to make up for getting blanked on this past year's forum Secret Santa.
  • Options
    Thanks! I had not gone to that thread. Very cool!!!
  • Options

Nice vector! Your logo designs are slick!

Thank you, sir.

• Options
    Nick said:

I am not an artist, but I think some conventions still have portfolio reviews don't they? i'm not sure if this is to help artists' improve their craft or scout out new talent. I thought Marvel stopped doing these several years ago, but has re-started up again.

Yes it is encouraged by most pros to go to a con and get reviewed. You can get pretty much anyone to do it but the editors are the ones you want to contact. They at gentle souls that will get you employed.
    It's best to give them something they can keep. Be professional, clean, attentive, and remember any advice they give you.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I don't know how it's done in the US - but over here in Europe most conventions have public contests for artists to participate. Many times the best entries win a publishing deal and get lots of promotion in all media.

Since they're mostly international I attempt to post them on this very forum.
  • Options
    That sounds cool, John! I have never heard of a con here having that but it may exist. Anyone know?
  • Options
    One to watch for: Costa Brava International Prize for Comics (Spain)

This contest was held for the first time 2011/12 and there are plans to launch the next one for 2013/14

To get an idea - here how it went the first time around:

1st Costa Brava International Prize for Comics
    This prize serves as an incentive for the sector and enables the festival to be promoted nationally and internationally in association with the Costa Brava brand.
    The 5th Torroella de Montgrí Comic Festival took place on 21st June, organised by Torroella de Montgrí Town Council in association with Panini. A presentation of the newly created Costa Brava International Prize for Comics was made at the event. The Comic Festival was presented by Enric Vilert, President of the Patronat de Turisme Costa Brava Girona, Jordi Cordón, Mayor of Torroella de Montgrí, and Lluís Torrent, Managing Director of Panini. Furthermore, the novelist and scriptwriter Andreu Martín, recently awarded the Pepe Carvalho Prize for Crime Fiction, and the illustrator Alfons López, current holder of the Catalan National Prize for Comics, were special guests at the event.
    The Patronat de Turisme Costa Brava Girona and Torroella Town Council have created the Costa Brava International Prize for Comics with the goal of promoting comics as a major art form and promoting the coming together of different cultures thanks to the international nature of comics, while at the same time raising the international profile of the Costa Brava. This initiative is included in programme 4 of the 2011-2015 Strategic Tourism Plan of the counties of Girona, concerned with boosting the international prestige of the destination. The first Prize, worth 20,000 euros, will be awarded in 2012.

And then this happened: The graphic novel «Ocupante» wins the First Costa Brava International Comic Award
    The Costa Brava International Comic Award instituted by the Patronat de Turisme (Turism Council) and the City Council of Torroella de Montgrí is the biggest comic award of Spain. «Ocupante» by the scriptwriter Andreu Martín, the comic book artist Jorge Jacobo Navarro (pencil) and Carlos Ruano (colour) won among more than forty works arrived from France, Italy, Germany, Mexico, Holland, Argentina and Spain.
    The winners got 20,000 Euros and a deal with PANINI SPAIN - the runner up 5,000 Euro

paninicomics.co.uk

The official page of the Comic Festival : festivaldelcomic.org

Websites in Spain are rather flawed. That's why gathering the infos can be a pain in the butt. But I'm sure if one contacts the folks at Panini, at Torroella de Montgrí Comic Festival or the Costa Brava Tourism Board, somebody will be able to read English ;)

So - who will be the winner of the 2nd Costa Brava International Prize for Comics ?

(in the next post : the entry thingy of 2011 - to get the idea)
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    These have been the terms of the first contest - might be different next time.
    FIRST COSTA BRAVA INTERNATIONAL COMIC AWARD
    In its commitment to culture and art, and the promotion of the comic as an art form, the Costa Brava Girona Tourist Board and the City of Torroella de Montgrí, have organised the first Costa Brava International Comic Award, which will be governed by the following terms:

AWARD PHILOSOPHY
    The First Costa Brava International Comic Award aims to promote the comic as a major art form and to bring together different cultures thanks to their international character, while internationally promoting the Costa Brava at the same time.

TERMS OF THE AWARD

THEMES
    1.- Both theme and style are free choice.

ENTRIES
    2.- Entries must be original and unpublished, i.e. not published in book or electronic form, or serialised in comic books whether they are in the comic or general genre. Entries submitted to other contests, whether for comics or not, will not be accepted either.
    3.- Entries may be submitted in Catalan, Spanish, English, French, Italian or German.
    4.- Entries must be in colour and be a minimum of 48 pages.

ENTRANTS
    5.- Entry is open to people of any nationality over the age of 18.
    6.- Entries can be made individually or in groups. In the latter case, the tasks carried out by each of the co-entrants will be specified.
    7.- Award entrants and co-entrants promise to not submit their project to other competitions until they are aware they are no longer being considered for this award.

ENTRY AUTHORSHIP, ORIGINALITY AND MARKETING
    8.- Participation in the competition assumes awareness and acceptance of these rules, as well as:
    • The participant's assurance of authorship and originality of the work submitted, and that it is not a copy or total or partial adaptation of anyone else's work. The award organisers are not liable for any claims.
    • The participant's assurance that the entry has not been published anywhere in the world and that the entrant has exclusive ownership of the entry, free of any charges or limitation in full rights of publication. The award organisers are not liable for any claims.
    • The entrant agrees to the reproduction, distribution and publication of the work submitted, should it receive an award.

FORMAT OF PRESENTATION AND DELIVERY
    9.- Complete entries will be submitted. The labelling may be provisional.
    10.- In no event should originals be submitted, only A4 copies, numbered, sorted, stapled and/or bound.
    11.- The entrant or co-entrant's name should be included together with the entry, as well as all contact details (address, telephone and email).
    12.- A photocopy of the entrant's or co-entrant's valid national identity document from their country of residence, or equivalent document, must be included.
    13.- The entries, in the specified format and with the requested information and documents, shall be sent to the City's general registry in a sealed envelope, on which "First International Costa Brava Comic Award" is clearly indicated, to the following address:
    Ajuntament Torroella de Montgrí
    Plaça de la Vila, 1
    17257 Torroella de Montgrí (Girona)

PRIZE
    14.- The first prize is TWENTY THOUSAND EUROS (20,000 Euros). The entrants or co-entrants of the winning entry will sign a standard publication and representation contract for the sale of subsidiary rights and translations established by PANINI ESPAÑA.
    15.- Although the total prize is an advance on royalties generated by the entry, so that the author or co-authors receive short-term higher remuneration, from the 8% of the royalties generated by the first copy sold the publisher (Panini) will assign 4% to cover the amount advanced by the organising bodies and the other 4% will be assigned to the entrant or co-entrant, even though it does not cover the total amount of the award. Once the prize's €20,000 is reached, the entrant or co-entrant will then receive 8% of the copies sold.
    16.- The finalist's entry will be awarded with FIVE THOUSAND EUROS (5,000 €) in advance for author's rights and, as with the first prize, the entrant or co-entrant will receive an additional 4% while the other 4% will go to cover the guaranteed minimum from the first copy sold. The author or co-author of the finalist's submission will sign a standard publication and representation contract for the sale of subsidiary rights and translations established by PANINI ESPAÑA.

TRANSFER OF EXPLOITATION RIGHTS
    17.- The granting of the award is on the condition that the entrant or co-entrants transfer all exploitation rights for the entry exclusively to PANINI, in all countries and languages, as well as transfer all publication rights across all platforms.
    The winning entrant or co-entrants are obliged to sign the contract or contracts for the exclusive publication and transfer of exploitation rights to the publisher of the winning entry within one month from being awarding the prize.

JURY
    18.- The jury will consist of professionals from the comic sector, freely appointed by the organizing committee. Jury deliberations are secret and final.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
    19.- The organizing committee will consist of three persons appointed by the city of Torroella, the Costa Brava Girona Tourism and the company Panini España, S.A.

KEY DATES
    20.- The period for submission of entries will begin on February 1, 2012 and end on April 30, 2012.
    21.- The jury's decision will be announced on 11 May in Torroella de Montgrí.
    22.- The prize may not remain unawarded.
    23.- Copies of the entry, in digital format, must be delivered within 10 days from the announcement of the award.
    24.- Copies of losing entries will not be returned and will be destroyed.

JURISDICTION
    25.- For any questions arising from the interpretation of this document or any dispute arising thereof, parties will be subject to the jurisdiction of the Courts and Tribunals of Girona, expressly waiving any other jurisdiction that may be applicable.
    26.- These conditions have been submitted to a notary of the Illustrious College of Catalonia.
  • Options
    The runner-up was German artist Martin Frei

He now is published by Panini Spain and Panini Germany (tbc)

see some sample pages of LANTERNJACK: http://mycomics.de/comics/fantasy/lanternjack.html
  • Options
    As soon I come upon new European contests I will post them. It's not an easy way to get work in comics - but an alternative to make a name (and sometimes money too...)