Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Where to find comics work

13»

Comments

• Options
    Has anyone used a web comic format to success? I don't read web comics myself and know little about them.
    I have friends that are now published through there web comics.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Has anyone used a web comic format to success? I don't read web comics myself and know little about them.
    I have friends that are now published through there web comics.

You have to be as savvy about web-tech as you are talented as an artist or writer. For every early adopter who is still with us (Penny Arcade, Megatokyo, PVP, etc.) there are hundreds who aren't. The keys to webcomic success are (or were) fairly simple:

1) Be consistent. If you say your site updates Mondays and Thursdays you better make damn sure something is there on Monday and Thursday. Most of the time if you're not doing this 100% for a living you need a sizable backlog of work and you should always be working to keep that buffer there.
    2) Be good. As mentioned, for every successful webcomic, there are hundreds who tried to ride their coattails and failed for any number of reasons. In some cases the art chops weren't there, in others the writing wasn't, in still others the creator lost interest or waited too long between updates and lost what audience they had.
    3) Be available. I read the webcomics I do because over time I feel I've built a rapport with the creator. Not that I'm camping outside their doorstep or writing them regularly, but they regularly talk about what they do, etc. and that builds a "window into their world" that many artists would love to have with their fanbase.
    4) Know the web and be ready to adapt. At one point just knowing HTML would get you by. In some cases it still will, but over time the way to success was publishing in Wordpress. Now you've got to become savvy with apps and HTML5 if you're hoping to stay current. Two years from now who knows what it'll be?

• Options
    steve_bryantsteve_bryant Posts: 96
    edited July 2012

Has anyone used a web comic format to success?

I got an Eisner Award nomination from my webcomic. I think it increased my visibility (as far as securing work), too.

The same probably holds true for Dave Wachter.

Collecting webcomics into print editions can be lucrative, as well.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited November 2012
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    warpangel said:

This has turned into a great thread. :D
    I wrote a novel which I self published about 3 years ago. Through social media and word of mouth I managed to get to no.9 in the Amazon sci-fi/fantasy charts for a week, which at the time, was beyond awesome to me.
    This year my big project is to write and draw my own comic. I've done the story and now I'm slowly getting through the art. Once the issue is done, I'm going to hawk it around and see if anyone's interested. Otherwise I shall release it myself, and use it to try to get interest from other artists/writers to work with me to complete the story (which would be 4 issues). so far that's what's working for me, but I'll definately be asking for advice and ideas from forum conversations like this.

keep up the good work guys!

Sounds awesome! You couldn't post some artwork could you? I'd love to see it!