Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    My sister pointed out a Doctor WHO reference (actually a couple of them) that can be found in Graeme Base's timeless classic, Animalia (circa 1986). Can you spot them?

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited May 2013

My sister pointed out a Doctor WHO reference (actually a couple of them) that can be found in Graeme Base's timeless classic, Animalia (circa 1986). Can you spot them?

I see the Dalek..still looking for the other reference.

...unless that's supposed to be the Doctor standing behind it?

• Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Or is that a jellybaby in the dragon's claws?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited May 2013
    ctowner1 said:

Or is that a jellybaby in the dragon's claws?

no jellybaby back in 1986

edit:

I confused jellybaby with the fat babies or Adipose. Totally forgot about the fourth doctor's love for the jelly babies :\">

• Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that bloke behind the Dalek is indeed the Doctor. Here's a closer look.

I suppose it could be a jellybaby nestled between the dragon's claws, but it looks more like a jellybean (i.e. one of the many "delicious delicacies"). The creatures and the various other items featured on each two-page spread correspond to a letter of the alphabet (in this case "D").

"D" is for "Doctor".
    "D" is for "Dalek".
    A "jellybaby" doesn't exactly meet that requirement, though I suppose "D" could be for "diabetes".
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm Jellybabies
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Jelly Babies are pretty much the best fruit-flavored candy in the world. You gotta get the right kind(s), though. If they're not really soft and lack that light covering of starch, they're not as good (not that I'll turn 'em down, mind you, but still). I think I like the Bassett's kind the best.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    My friend who went to London brought me home some jelly babies and they were delicious. Is there a place in New York where one may get jelly babies? I would love to have some.
  • Options
    EdChambersEdChambers Posts: 64
    It appears you can order Jelly Babies directly from Amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/Bassetts-Jelly-Babies-215gr-7-6oz/dp/B000KCXKOQ
  • Options

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that bloke behind the Dalek is indeed the Doctor. Here's a closer look.

I suppose it could be a jellybaby nestled between the dragon's claws, but it looks more like a jellybean (i.e. one of the many "delicious delicacies"). The creatures and the various other items featured on each two-page spread correspond to a letter of the alphabet (in this case "D").

"D" is for "Doctor".
    "D" is for "Dalek".
    A "jellybaby" doesn't exactly meet that requirement, though I suppose "D" could be for "diabetes".

Point conceded - that's definitely the 4th "D"octor behind that "D"alek! :^)

e
    L nny
  • Options
    I really enjoyed "The Crimson Horror" - and it was great to see Oleanna Tyrell aka Emma Peel! :^)

e
    L nny
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I thought Diana Rigg completely elevated that episode with her performance. It made an entertaining story much more memorable. I was a little concerned when I heard this was a Doctor-lite episode (something that, in my opinion, I don't think it was), but between this and Gaiman's episode next week, it looks like we're going to have a solid run up to the finale.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

I thought Diana Rigg completely elevated that episode with her performance. It made an entertaining story much more memorable. I was a little concerned when I heard this was a Doctor-lite episode (something that, in my opinion, I don't think it was), but between this and Gaiman's episode next week, it looks like we're going to have a solid run up to the finale.

Agreed! The Vastra/Jenny/Strax combi was excellent. I also liked the old-style flashbacks. It was a top notch episode top to bottom. And I'm really looking forward to Gaiman's Cybermen episode, as well!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

My friend who went to London brought me home some jelly babies and they were delicious. Is there a place in New York where one may get jelly babies? I would love to have some.

If you live near someplace touristy that has a British goods shop, they'll usually have them there (and all sorts of other Brit candy, like my beloved mint Aero bars). And if your supermarket has a section of (often stereotypical) British foods (sometimes in the international food aisle, sometimes elsewhere), you can sometimes find them there tucked in near the HP curry sauce and Heinz baked beans.
  • Options
    So wasn't The Crimson Horror the 100th episode of nuWho?

7 seasons x 14 (including Xmas eps) = 98 + 4 specials = 102 - 2 eps yet to air = 100.

I haven't seen anyone mentioning this landmark though.

e
    L nny
  • Options

jaydee74 said:

If you live near someplace touristy that has a British goods shop, they'll usually have them there (and all sorts of other Brit candy, like my beloved mint Aero bars). And if your supermarket has a section of (often stereotypical) British foods (sometimes in the international food aisle, sometimes elsewhere), you can sometimes find them there tucked in near the HP curry sauce and Heinz baked beans.
    According to some Googling I just did, Cost Plus World Market carries them, and I think they're fairly prevalent in the US - at least in the various states I've lived in or visited. I'm surprised I've never thought to look for them, but I'll take a look next time I'm there.

Anyone know if the story about them not being carried in the US back in the '70s-'80s was due to the red dye being considered a carcinogen here, or was that just urban myth? I went to a comic convention once, probably around 1985, and a dealer was selling them under the counter like they were heroin.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I didn't realize that tonight's episode was written by Gaiman. It was good but not "knock-your-socks-off" good like his last one. Still, a fun episode!
  • Options
    Generally speaking, I'm a fan of both Gaiman and Doctor WHO, but about half-way through tonight's episode I actually nodded off. I'm afraid I'm going to have to catch the second half on YouTube.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    meh.

Odd too. All of the elements were there for a rip roaring Who adventure. It just sort of fizzled. The inclusion of the children were a bit of a drag. And, JLC's coyness is getting annoying. It's like she thinks this is all a dream. That there's no danger.
  • Options
    For all his strengths, I don't think Gaiman is a particularly good Doctor Who writer. And after feeling disappointed after pretty much every episode this half-season (some have been better than others, but I don't think there's been a one I thought was really great), I'm find I'm tiring of the whole fairy tales and "oh, it's always been about the companions" direction Moffat has been taking the show in since his tenure as showrunner began. I'm about ready for a regeneration. Maybe in the Doctor, definitely in the showrunner.
  • Options
    I was literally logging on to post what LibraryBoy already said. I like Gaiman's writing, but I don't think he's ideally suited to Doctor Who. And he's definitely not my first pick to revitalize the Cybermen.

Moffatt said the goal was to make them scary again, but the only reason they're not scary is because the new series has used them so poorly. They keep adding a bunch of nonsense to the concept, yet they always say they worked best in the Troughton era, which is when they were at their simplest. They don't need "upgrades" and dozens of crazy abilities. They just need to be Cybermen. And they don't need to be featured in a story about castles and runaway emperors. It felt like a mishmash of stuff that Gaiman likes, with some Cybermen thrown in.

And Clara's personality is all over the place. I'd started pegging her as the companion whose perhaps not as brave as we're used to - scared of ghosts in "Hide", terrified by the Ice Warrior - but this week she apparently has the skills to lead a military platoon. I like the actress, but I keep feeling like we're supposed to accept her as the Doctor's companion simply because he says she's so perfect as a companion. I don't get what they're doing.

I think Moffatt will likely be around for one more year. I could see Smith leaving sooner. I think it's a little odd that we haven't heard anything about him beyond the Christmas special (and I'm not even sure if it's definite that he's doing that, but I believe he is).
  • Options
    chrisw said:

I think Moffatt will likely be around for one more year. I could see Smith leaving sooner. I think it's a little odd that we haven't heard anything about him beyond the Christmas special (and I'm not even sure if it's definite that he's doing that, but I believe he is).

I recently read an article that indicted Matt Smith will be on board for another season. I'm not sure whether or not this is even relevant, but I guess it's probably worth mentioning that he shaved his head last week.

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    rebis said:

I think the manic personalities of the last 3 Doctors is more a reflection of the compressed nature of the show since it's reboot rather then Smith, Tennant, or Eccleston making a conscience desicion to amp up the crazy.
    Take "Cold War" as an example. Classic Who would have taken an episode and a half for the Ice Warrior to be revealed. That's probably around 40 to 45 minutes. It's easy to be laid back at that pace. I think Cold War ran around 46 minutes in total. You got to haul ass to get your lines in.

I'm growing more and more fond of Matt Smith's Doctor. I adore the whimsy he brings to the roll. It diffuses all the sexy that bugged me about Tennant's Doctor. Even the yelling and the spastically waving around of the sonic screw driver are growing on me.

Not a reboot.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Tonebone said:

Ugh... I may be done with Doctor Who for a while. On BBC America, there are these little "behind the scenes" things during the commercial breaks, and in one of them, Moffat talks about how now, everyone writes the Doctor perfectly. That's crap. Matt Smith, I have no problem with, but the writing has gone so far downhill, that I don't know if it can recover.

All the stories, lately, are so fantastical and illogical... it's as if it doesn't matter if they have a coherent plot or not, as long as A) Matt Smith runs around yelling and looking like he's screwed up ad really CARES, and suddenly has a great revelation... and B) we don't find out anything else about Clara, but are led to believe there is SO MUCH more to know. (Clara, by the way, has ZERO personality, and I could care less what her story is, and would just as soon see her thrown into the sun.)

I'm tired of Reset Buttons, and the Doctor stepping on, weaving through, manipulating, and otherwise molesting his own timeline, to go back 2 hours and hand himself the solution.

I'm tired of "Love saves the day".

I'm tired of the thing that looks evil is really misunderstood.

I'm tired of the companion is the key to everything, and could bring about the destruction of us all.

Moffat's best works were The Girl in the Fireplace and Blink, and they were, in my opinion, the best of the series to date, but he seems to have turned out to be a pony with very few tricks.

THIS.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

rebis said:

I think the manic personalities of the last 3 Doctors is more a reflection of the compressed nature of the show since it's reboot rather then Smith, Tennant, or Eccleston making a conscience desicion to amp up the crazy.
    Take "Cold War" as an example. Classic Who would have taken an episode and a half for the Ice Warrior to be revealed. That's probably around 40 to 45 minutes. It's easy to be laid back at that pace. I think Cold War ran around 46 minutes in total. You got to haul ass to get your lines in.

I'm growing more and more fond of Matt Smith's Doctor. I adore the whimsy he brings to the roll. It diffuses all the sexy that bugged me about Tennant's Doctor. Even the yelling and the spastically waving around of the sonic screw driver are growing on me.

Not a reboot.
    Re-launch
  • Options
    Apparently some people have received their Series 7 Part 2 DVDs early, so if you're trying to avoid spoilers for The Name Of The Doctor, you may want to avoid sites with Doctor Who news for the rest of the week.
  • Options

chrisw said:

I recently read an article that indicted Matt Smith will be on board for another season. I'm not sure whether or not this is even relevant, but I guess it's probably worth mentioning that he shaved his head last week.

Is he in a remake of Nosferatu?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

jaydee74 said:

World Market generally stocks them.