Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Planeis said:

"I think it also displayed what I find maddening about Moffat's writing/run - key points of the episode are just left up in the air as an exercise for the viewer. "

Yup. Here's another thing that drives me nuts. Not on this board, but over on a different DW fanpage type of place, there will be people who say something like, "huh? wait a minute, what just happened? Why is River there" or "wait... why did the TARDIS explode before?"

And someone will pipe up with "Well, DUH, obviously YOU weren't paying attention or didn't really WATCH the episode, its obvious that what happened was..... " and they will give their idea for what happened. But, they act as if their is the ONLY possible idea, meanwhile 8 other ideas about the same event have been talked about on the same thread.

Doctor Who fan boards are scary, scary places.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Planeis said:

"I think it also displayed what I find maddening about Moffat's writing/run - key points of the episode are just left up in the air as an exercise for the viewer. "

Yup. Here's another thing that drives me nuts. Not on this board, but over on a different DW fanpage type of place, there will be people who say something like, "huh? wait a minute, what just happened? Why is River there" or "wait... why did the TARDIS explode before?"

And someone will pipe up with "Well, DUH, obviously YOU weren't paying attention or didn't really WATCH the episode, its obvious that what happened was..... " and they will give their idea for what happened. But, they act as if their is the ONLY possible idea, meanwhile 8 other ideas about the same event have been talked about on the same thread.

Didn't River discover footprints leading to the TARDIS before it exploded? Or am I totally misremembering that? Because I kept thinking that was somehow going to lead to the discovery of who did it, but now it seems totally forgotten. I thought the Big Bad was going to be whomever was behind all that, but now we're two series on and nothing.

It'll be interesting to look back on this era and see how many plot threads were left dangling.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @LibraryBoy : So...you're officially eligible to whine :P

I caught the virus 1983 while living in the UK. When living in the USA, '84-'86, the Doctor was shown on PBS. Back in Switzerland the only way to see the show was by acquiring those high priced, imported VHS casettes. Later we got served by the Interwebs. Dark times indeed. Since 2005 it's a piece of cake to get the goods. We receive BBC.

Currently re-watching the entire Doctor Who. Looking forward to all the restored serials and new specials.

• Options

@LibraryBoy : So...you're officially eligible to whine :P

Woohoo! \:D/

Although, for the record, I hate when I whine, but if they'd just make the show the way I always want it to be, then none of us would have to listen to me, would we? :D But even through the bad episodes, I keep watching in the hopes that there'll be something I do like (and sooner or later, there always is). Doctor Who is definitely my Pop Culture Abusive Relationship!
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Here's a great pic comparing John Hurt's clothers to 9's, supporting the 8.5 theory:

e
    L nny
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    The Sherlock OST is sooooo good!
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    ctowner1 said:

Here's a great pic comparing John Hurt's clothers to 9's, supporting the 8.5 theory:

e
    L nny

Just so we're all clear here. There seem to be 3 main theories, as far as I can tell. 1) a "missing" doctor that took place between #8 (The Fox Television Movie doctor) and #9, Chris E. In this theory people are basically saying that because 8.5, the Missing Doctor, did some bad stuff during the Time War, that the Doctor basically chose to forget him and not count him as a regeneration. 2) a theory that the John Hurt doctor IS #9 and that he's subbing in for Chris E. who was unwilling to return. 3) The Valeyard doctor, a future or possibly the LAST incarnation of the doctor who is basically villainous

I.... don't really like any of them 1) I've watched Chris's season of the show a LOT and it always seems like he felt super guilty about whatever went on during the time war. As if he participated, and not in a different generation way of participation, but as if he did it. Doesn't really make sense that it was a missing doctor. Emotionally it doesn't make sense I mean. 2) John Hurt is much older than Chris, doesn't make sense he would be filling in for him. 3) I suppose I'd be OK with it being a future doctor or the last doctor, except it seems pretty clear to me that John Hurt is not going to be in a lot of episodes. So, if he is this last doctor it'd be a shame to have such a cool character be around for one or two episodes and then gone... essentially forever. But isn't that what they have kinda done with this Valeyard character? I've tried to look him up and it mentions only two appearences in the 60's and thats it.
  • Options
    There other ways to look at it. I've seen speculatoin that John Hurt is an older version of #8. If this occurred during the Time War, funky aging could have occurred (remember when #10 was artifically aged in an episode?).

I'm not a fan of the "Hurt is a standin for Eccleston" theory - it's just too odd.

As to the 8.5 theory - I guess it would be that 8 regenerates into John Hurt. He's regenerated and still wearing 8's clothes. Then he does something so bad, that he's no longer considered "The Doctor." Perhaps to symbolize his lack of Dr-ness, he covers up his 8 clothes with a leather jacket?? Kind of odd. Then with the help of 10 & 11, the Time War is ended in such a way that Hurt regenerates into 9. He takes off the 8 clothes, but keeps the jacket - perhaps as a bitter reminder of his non-Dr incarnation. This explains the tragic/angry nature of 9 that Eccleston portrayed so well.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Perhaps one of the stupidest things I've read in a while:

Academics: Doctor Who "Thunderingly Racist"
    The Doctor’s new foes claim that his dismissive attitude towards black companions, his contempt for ‘primitive’ people, and even his passion for cricket are all proof of a reactionary ‘whiteness’ pervading his adventures.
  • Options
    Like it or not - Moffat certainly will change Who forever!

photo original_zps7820f195.gif
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

Webhead said:

My guess is Hurt's Doctor is The Valeyard

The Great Intelligence did mention The Valeyard is one of the names by which the Doctor will be known by the end of his life, and we know that The Valeyard is the final incarnation of The Doctor. The sixth Doctor did meet him and The Valeyard so Matt Smith's Doctor would know about him. After The Trail of a Time Lord, The Valeyard did survive.

Yah...that Valeyard reference was certainly an intentional teaser! But perhaps that suggests it WON'T be the Valeyard. I've seen some speculation that it's a middle incarnation between 8 & 9 that existed during the Time War - I think the argument is that the clothes he was wearign (either in the ep or in some publicity stills) incorporates elements of both of those Dr's. Plus, I think the implication re the Time War is that the Dr did some pretty nasty stuff - which could be why 11 was so angry at him/himself.

As for the finale, I liked it - but it also had the usual WTF moments. I probably need to rewatch it b/c I was kind of tired while watching it - but not sure it really made sense in terms of what we were told. Are we supposed to think the GI appeared 100's (or did they say millions?) of times throughout the Dr's life and Clara appeared each time and thwarted him/it? Often behind the scenes (ex. telling the 1st Dr which Tardis to take)? And is this supposed to be the timeline that always was? It's kind of suggested b/c of the fact that we've seen Helper Clara in 2 previous instances? It all doesn't realyl seem to make sense/be practical.

Still...it was nice to see the Victorian crew - the whole psychic meeting was fun. Seeing the old Drs was fun. Seeing River was cool (although when she learned the Dr's name remains a mystery, doesn't it? Or did I miss something? Was the implication that she learned it at the Dr's death on Trenzalore? Would that have been moments before 11 arrived there in this episode? And was she non-holographic then?).

e
    L nny

Didn't she learn his name when they got married? Or am I misremembering?
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

ctowner1 said:

Seeing River was cool (although when she learned the Dr's name remains a mystery, doesn't it? Or did I miss something? Was the implication that she learned it at the Dr's death on Trenzalore? Would that have been moments before 11 arrived there in this episode? And was she non-holographic then?).

e
    L nny

He whispered something in her ear at that point - not clear if it was his name. I thought it was "look in my eye!". Although even if it was his name, it would beg the next question of why can a Time Lord give up his name only at the point of marriage?!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

ctowner1 said:

Webhead said:

My guess is Hurt's Doctor is The Valeyard

The Great Intelligence did mention The Valeyard is one of the names by which the Doctor will be known by the end of his life, and we know that The Valeyard is the final incarnation of The Doctor. The sixth Doctor did meet him and The Valeyard so Matt Smith's Doctor would know about him. After The Trail of a Time Lord, The Valeyard did survive.

Yah...that Valeyard reference was certainly an intentional teaser! But perhaps that suggests it WON'T be the Valeyard. I've seen some speculation that it's a middle incarnation between 8 & 9 that existed during the Time War - I think the argument is that the clothes he was wearign (either in the ep or in some publicity stills) incorporates elements of both of those Dr's. Plus, I think the implication re the Time War is that the Dr did some pretty nasty stuff - which could be why 11 was so angry at him/himself.

As for the finale, I liked it - but it also had the usual WTF moments. I probably need to rewatch it b/c I was kind of tired while watching it - but not sure it really made sense in terms of what we were told. Are we supposed to think the GI appeared 100's (or did they say millions?) of times throughout the Dr's life and Clara appeared each time and thwarted him/it? Often behind the scenes (ex. telling the 1st Dr which Tardis to take)? And is this supposed to be the timeline that always was? It's kind of suggested b/c of the fact that we've seen Helper Clara in 2 previous instances? It all doesn't realyl seem to make sense/be practical.

Still...it was nice to see the Victorian crew - the whole psychic meeting was fun. Seeing the old Drs was fun. Seeing River was cool (although when she learned the Dr's name remains a mystery, doesn't it? Or did I miss something? Was the implication that she learned it at the Dr's death on Trenzalore? Would that have been moments before 11 arrived there in this episode? And was she non-holographic then?).

e
    L nny

Who knows?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• Options
    She knew it by the time Tennant's Doctor encountered her, but I'm pretty sure he didn't tell her when they were married. They showed him using it as an excuse to actually let her in on his plan. She's referenced numerous times spent with The Doctor that we haven't seen (didn't she even imply a threesome once with multiple Doctors in A Good Man Goes To War?), so it was probably during that. I got the impression that The Doctor we see in The Name Of The Doctor has spent enough time with her to form an emotional attachment. Maybe that's another reason why he was so depressed while in Victorian London - not only had he lost Amy and Rory, but perhaps he'd also said his final goodbye to River Song that was mentioned in Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead.

I suspect we'll never find out exactly how she found out.
  • Options
    Big_Daddy_SummersBig_Daddy_Summers Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    BBC reports from yesterday: Was Dr WHo rubbish in the 1980's

bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22628484
  • Options

BBC reports from yesterday: Was Dr WHo rubbish in the 1980's

bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22628484

Even though I grew up watching Doctor Who in the '80s, and thus have fond memories of the era, if I look at it objectively, much of it was a disappointment. There are a lot of reasons why, but I still place most of the blame on John Nathan-Turner simply staying too long. Here we are today, complaining about Moffat or Davies after only 3-4 series, while Turner oversaw 9 seasons. He really should have left with Davison. And I even think Davison got a little screwed - he had an okay run, but not as good as I think it could have been. He's probably one of the strongest actors they've had in the role, yet of all of them he has the least distinct personality in my memory. He's the nice Doctor, that's about all I can come up with.

Those two Baker seasons and that first McCoy season, though, are easily the worst of the show, in my opinion. It feels like a show being made by people who hate what they're doing. Even as a long-time fan, that first McCoy seasons nearly killed all my enthusiasm. Had the following season not been so good, I might not have even bothered to check back in years later when New Who began.
  • Options
    I've been re-watching some 80s Who lately, and while it certainly has its low points, and almost everything is bright and gaudy and, frankly the cheapest the show ever looked, I don't like to see it written off completely because there was still some good storytelling going on. I watched Kinda the other night for the first time since the 80s, and I was surprised how much I liked it (I think it might be my favorite Davison story now). Yes, the Mara is clearly a puppet, but if you can get past that (and the new SFX option on the DVD makes that easy), it's an exciting and creepy story. Even Adric isn't half-bad in it (it helps that the Doctor yells at him a lot, I'm sure, but still).

As for Colin Baker, I think he's a great Doctor stuck in a terrible era. The costume has grown on me over the years, but yes, it's ugly as sin. And he was also hampered by a script editor who preferred most of the action be handled by leather-clad, gun-toting mercenaries whenever possible. His first season did improve a bit as it went on, though, and his second, the Trial season, is actually pretty decent (IMHO). I would've loved to have seen how Baker could continue his character development in a third TV season, but it wasn't meant to be. Thankfully we have Big Finish, where the man is doing some really excellent work. If you think you hate the 6th Doctor, listen to some of his BF stories and I bet you'll change your mind.

McCoy's first season... yeah, that's all pretty painful. I know Bonnie Langford gets a lot of blame for that (and yeah, Mel wasn't a great companion), but really the scripts were just utter crap. Thankfully McCoy did get another two seasons, not only so his character could develop beyond "guy who plays the spoons" into something really nuanced and surprisingly menacing, but so that the scripts could actually improve about 200%. Sure, it still looked bad, but the writing on a few of his stories stands up with some of the best of the series (again, IMHO).
  • Options
    I don't have too many bad memories of the Davison era. Just a lot of little things that keep it from completely working for me. All the characters wearing the same clothes episode to episode, as if they were uniforms. Three years of Tegan (who is fine as a companion, it's just odd to me that she's the dominant companion for Davison's entire run; when you hold her up against other long-timers: Sarah Jane Smith, Jo Grant, Jamie - I just never understood why she was around so long). A Master that, for no reason, is made to look just like his previous incarnation, but more camp and with a frilly collar. Kamelion. That rapid clearing of the decks as Davison is about to leave (I love Caves of Androzani, but it's just weird to see such a big moment shared with Peri, whose only just joined the show).

And while Colin Baker seems to be a likable guy in everything I've read, I just never felt like he had enough charisma to pull off such a major character. No matter who plays The Doctor, there needs to be something magnetic about them, something that makes them the center of attention. I never got that with him.

I'd forgotten about the spoons. I think I was too traumatized by the Rani dressing up as Mel.

I've still never seen the final season of the classic series (except for Survival, which I accidentally tuned into not knowing it was the end), but I loved McCoy's second season.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

I don't have too many bad memories of the Davison era. Just a lot of little things that keep it from completely working for me. All the characters wearing the same clothes episode to episode, as if they were uniforms. Three years of Tegan (who is fine as a companion, it's just odd to me that she's the dominant companion for Davison's entire run; when you hold her up against other long-timers: Sarah Jane Smith, Jo Grant, Jamie - I just never understood why she was around so long). A Master that, for no reason, is made to look just like his previous incarnation, but more camp and with a frilly collar. Kamelion. That rapid clearing of the decks as Davison is about to leave (I love Caves of Androzani, but it's just weird to see such a big moment shared with Peri, whose only just joined the show).

Yeah, Davison never did well in the companion department. I would've liked to have seen Nyssa stick around rather than Tegan, but then again she always seemed a bit Romana Lite... when someone's THAT smart and technically savvy, you don't give the Doctor a lot of "explaining it to the companion" moments, which is not just a hallmark of the show, but a decent little expository device besides. A little Tegan goes a long way, but she does get a little more tolerable once she leaves and comes back and they stop the whole Heathrow gag. Kamelion is just... I dunno, he's Kamelion, the less said the better. I don't know that I'd ever call Turlough one of the great companions, but he certainly had an interesting character arc. And as much as I'm annoyed by Adric, he did at least lead to one of the most memorable endings of the series, and proof that sometimes the Doctor is all-too-fallible.
    chrisw said:

I've still never seen the final season of the classic series (except for Survival, which I accidentally tuned into not knowing it was the end), but I loved McCoy's second season.

I don't think Season 26 is as good all the way through as 25, but there are some fun episodes, particularly Battlefield which sees the return of UNIT and brings the Brigadier out of retirement for the story. You also get Jean Marsh chewing up scenery as the villain, and that's always fun (all kinds of reunions in this story, not the least of which is March and Nicholas Courtney, who both debuted on the show all the way back in The Daleks' Masterplan).

• Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458

And as much as I'm annoyed by Adric, he did at least lead to one of the most memorable endings of the series, and proof that sometimes the Doctor is all-too-fallible.

I remember I was at Dr. Who convention and they showed that episode for the first time in the U.S. The whole auditorium erupted in applause and cheers , I guess a lot people were also annoyed by Adric.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Webhead said:

And as much as I'm annoyed by Adric, he did at least lead to one of the most memorable endings of the series, and proof that sometimes the Doctor is all-too-fallible.

I remember I was at Dr. Who convention and they showed that episode for the first time in the U.S. The whole auditorium erupted in applause and cheers , I guess a lot people were also annoyed by Adric.
    I recall that sort of reaction as well at my first con in Philadelphia. I never understood the glee in a companion's death and while he was annoying, it's a shame he is only remembered for his death.
  • Options
    "Hello Sweetie!"
    It's exactly five years since we first met Alex Kingston's lovelorn archaeologist, but are you a River Song lover or hater? And is this really the last we've seen of her?
    Why does River Song divide Doctor Who fans?
  • Options
    edited May 2013

"Hello Sweetie!"
    It's exactly five years since we first met Alex Kingston's lovelorn archaeologist, but are you a River Song lover or hater? And is this really the last we've seen of her?
    I'm a hater. As for why she divides fans I think its because some of us feel like she has taken over the show. She knows more than the doctor, she seems able to do things he can't do, she's a time traveller, and their relationship is *too* special.

I stopped reading after they said "most of all, they cling to the idea of a sexless doctor". nope. As someone who is tuned into a lot of the River hate, that aint the reason.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Planeis said:

"Hello Sweetie!"
    I'm a hater. As for why she divides fans I think its because some of us feel like she has taken over the show. She knows more than the doctor, she seems able to do things he can't do, she's a time traveller, and their relationship is *too* special.

I didn't mind any of those things. My problem with River is that we didn't see this relationship that was moving in two different directions, handled in that way.

And, I'm with Jamie D. Alex Kingston is pure sexy.
  • Options

"Hello Sweetie!"

She doesn't bother me, and I used to enjoy her appearances, but I think Moffat doesn't realize her time is done. I really hope that was her farewell in the finale, because each time he brings her back wears out her welcome a little more.
  • Options

Yeah, Davison never did well in the companion department. I would've liked to have seen Nyssa stick around rather than Tegan, but then again she always seemed a bit Romana Lite... when someone's THAT smart and technically savvy, you don't give the Doctor a lot of "explaining it to the companion" moments, which is not just a hallmark of the show, but a decent little expository device besides.

The newest in the series of 50th anniversary short stories by well-known authors features the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa in that time after Adric died and Tegan left. Now that you mention it, she does seem like Romana lite in that book, which unfortunately may be the weakest of the bunch so far. I didn't get much of a sense of Davison's Doctor at all while reading it. I enjoyed the ones for the Third and Fourth Doctor, though, which both felt like they could easily have been stories from that era. The Second Doctor one was okay also, but the First Doctor story was just weird.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

"Hello Sweetie!"

I liked River a lot at first, and still think Alex Kingston is terrific in the role, but she's the epitome of the Steven Moffat creation character in that under his watch she became not just a character, but THE MOST SUPER IMPORTANT CHARACTER OF ALL TIME AND SHE KNOWS EVERYTHING AND SHE'S SO GREAT AND WONDERFUL AND EVERYONE LOVES HER OR WANTS TO BE HER BUT PROBABLY BOTH ERMAGERD SHE'S AWESOME.

Basically, of all the Mary Sues in the world, she's the Mary Sue-est.

Of course, it also bugs me that she was teased as having all these great mysteries and secrets and the answer to all of them was rushed into a single episode and given an incredibly dumb explanation ("Oh, she was conceived in the TARDIS.").