Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1253 - 'The Dark Knight Rises' Movie Review

Comments

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Question for Adam - can you inform me of anything else that you read or watched that made you feel overwhelmed. So far, the only two times I've heard you use that criticism ("The Dark Knight" and "Morning Glories"), they've both ended up being things that I've loved.

(and that's not a criticism - you're allowed to like or dislike whatever you want. It's just that if I know where your tastes and mine line up, I can always look for recommendations or reverse recommendations.)
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    The CIA guy in the plane was Littlefinger from Game of Thrones.
    So much Pittsburgh...so awesome.
    Blake clearly becomes Batman. Otherwise why would Bruce say "Anyone can be Batman".
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    JDick said:

The CIA guy in the plane was Littlefinger from Game of Thrones.
    So much Pittsburgh...so awesome.
    Blake clearly becomes Batman. Otherwise why would Bruce say "Anyone can be Batman".

I'd argue it's not clearly obvious without seeing Blake at least try on the cowl. Batman told Dent he was the symbol of hope Batman can never be. It's likely Blake will become Batman, but I don't think it's cut & dry.

Nolan confirmed Dent died after TDK was out for a while. When Nolan confirms Blake becomes Batman, I'll say it's clear.

M

• Options
    It's clear enough to me...Bruce/Batman is teaching and telling him little things the whole movie. Blake throws away his badge but still is driven to fight crime and injustice. Gotham needs a Batman.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    ajax said:

Great episode, fellas - lots of insightful stuff.

But I just wanted to say that the moment of silence at the end to honor the CO shootings showed a lot of class. Well done.

Agreed. Well said @JamieD

=D>
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Am I the only person that noticed William Devine as the president?
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    It's clear enough to me...Bruce/Batman is teaching and telling him little things the whole movie. Blake throws away his badge but still is driven to fight crime and injustice. Gotham needs a Batman.
    The throwing of the badge mirrored Bruce throwing the gun into the river in Begins
  • Options
    abuddah said:

The throwing of the badge mirrored Bruce throwing the gun into the river in Begins

Blake also threw his gun away after shooting the 2 construction workers.

M

• Options
    Blake is the new batman. All three movies point to it
  • Options

Blake is the new batman. All three movies point to it

Where in the BB and TDK did Bruce say Blake will take over or where in TDKR did Blake put on the cowl? Just saying...

M.

• Options
    elkinscselkinscs Posts: 40
    Hey everyone, let me start by saying that I'm a first time poster but I have been following the show for a couple of months now. This show is fantastic for someone like me who is just seriously getting into comics for the first time (about a year ago, proof positive that The New 52 worked), though I have followed many of the characters passively throughout my childhood.

Great episode, love that you guys dove into all the details of themes and connections that ran throughout the trilogy. For me, that is what made the Nolan films so amazing. It was a complete Batman story, beginning, middle and end and included every critical element in the batman mythos (including a nice little 'Killer Croc' reference that I thoroughly enjoyed). While the ending felt a little forced, obvious and slightly deflating, it didn't take me out of the movie.

My question would be; where do we go from here? I can't imagine Warner bros. is ready to let the Nolan-verse die, and they seemed to tee up future projects pretty well with JGL. What are your theories?

Batman Beyond?
    Nightwing?
    Fourth installment of the current series with Nolan as producer (Perhaps Dark Knight Returns)?
    JGL as the bat+Man of Steel= Justice League lead in?

A Catwoman with Anne Hathaway would be awesome. She brought so much depth and general awesomeness to the character, I just hope the previous Catwoman movie doesn't leave too much of a Taboo on the idea.

thanks guys!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • Options
    'preciate the hospitality!
  • Options
    elkinscs said:

Hey everyone, let me start by saying that I'm a first time poster but I have been following the show for a couple of months now. This show is fantastic for someone like me who is just seriously getting into comics for the first time (about a year ago, proof positive that The New 52 worked), though I have followed many of the characters passively throughout my childhood.

Great episode, love that you guys dove into all the details of themes and connections that ran throughout the trilogy. For me, that is what made the Nolan films so amazing. It was a complete Batman story, beginning, middle and end and included every critical element in the batman mythos (including a nice little 'Killer Croc' reference that I thoroughly enjoyed). While the ending felt a little forced, obvious and slightly deflating, it didn't take me out of the movie.

My question would be; where do we go from here? I can't imagine Warner bros. is ready to let the Nolan-verse die, and they seemed to tee up future projects pretty well with JGL. What are your theories?

Batman Beyond?
    Nightwing?
    Fourth installment of the current series with Nolan as producer (Perhaps Dark Knight Returns)?
    JGL as the bat+Man of Steel= Justice League lead in?

A Catwoman with Anne Hathaway would be awesome. She brought so much depth and general awesomeness to the character, I just hope the previous Catwoman movie doesn't leave too much of a Taboo on the idea.

thanks guys!

I'd say it'll be rebooted. Unless JGL does take up the mantle of the Batman persona, changes his name to Bruce Wayne, & regains Alfred, the Manor, the company, etc. this'll be the end of Nolan's run. Personally, I want it that way any way.

I could accept a self-contained Catwoman movie, but anything further with Batman will soil the trilogy.

M
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Matt said:

I'd say it'll be rebooted. Unless JGL does take up the mantle of the Batman persona, changes his name to Bruce Wayne, & regains Alfred, the Manor, the company, etc. this'll be the end of Nolan's run. Personally, I want it that way any way.

I could accept a self-contained Catwoman movie, but anything further with Batman will soil the trilogy.

M

I was kind of leaning that way as well. Bruce Wayne is Batman, end of story. That's why they can't kill him or just give Blake the cowl. I was hoping the big reveal was that he was Dick Grayson and we would get a Nightwing movie but that seems like a long shot at this point.

• Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited July 2012
    Great review, guys!

I wasn't such a fan of the 3rd movie overall - I thought it was more a big budget action movie than a Batman movie - and agree w/Murd that it tried to do to much and pummel you with its bigness.

On the issue of Bruce Wayne being a recluse, I think we can be pretty sure that he was not one for 8 years - because during that period he jumped on board the nergy project and invested half of his fortune in it. I don't think he would be doing that completely behind the scenes. I think the recluse phase came after he realized the project could be used to make a weapon, and he tanked it.

OTOH, it appears that Batman WAS on hold for 8 years. I think this was a bit out of left field. I didn't get the impression from the end of DK that Batman was going to hang up his cowl - only that he was going to go the vigilante wanted by the police route - in fact, don't we see that happening in the end of the movie montage? So why would he shift from that to total retirement? Didn't make sense to me.

I loved Hathaway's Catwoman - and would have liked to see more of her (so to speak! ;^). They could have worked a bit more on solidifying her relationship/attraction to Bruce so as to make the final scene with them make more sense.

I think Bruce's survival of the explosion was due to his fixing the auto-pilot on The Bat, and then departing well before the explosion.

It bugged me that pretty much everyone seemed to know Bruce was Batman EXCEPT the detective, Gordon. I mean, really, Robin figures it out b/c they're both orphans? Really?? That was kind of lame.

I loved the Talia twist and was surprised with it/thought how could I have missed it? Which is exactly the kind of surprises I love to have.

I'm assuming the next Batman movie will tie in with Man of Steel - and be in a completely different continuity from this movie. (perhaps Bruce Wayne will make an after-the-credits appearance in the movie??). To the extent they want to keep it in continuity with this movie, then I think Robin will become Robin or Nightwing, and Bruce will be Batman. I think I'd prefer they go that route - a direction clearly not in keeping with Nolan's vision of the character, but still consistent enough so that we don't have yet another reboot.

Overall, an enjoyable movie, but lacked the focus of the 1st film, and the greatness of Heath Ledger's Joker of the 2nd film.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

Great review, guys!

I wasn't such a fan of the 3rd movie overall - I thought it was more a big budget action movie than a Batman movie - and agree w/Murd that it tried to do to much and pummel you with its bigness.

On the issue of Bruce Wayne being a recluse, I think we can be pretty sure that he was not one for 8 years - because during that period he jumped on board the nergy project and invested half of his fortune in it. I don't think he would be doing that completely behind the scenes. I think the recluse phase came after he realized the project could be used to make a weapon, and he tanked it.

OTOH, it appears that Batman WAS on hold for 8 years. I think this was a bit out of left field. I didn't get the impression from the end of DK that Batman was going to hang up his cowl - only that he was going to go the vigilante wanted by the police route - in fact, don't we see that happening in the end of the movie montage? So why would he shift from that to total retirement? Didn't make sense to me.

I loved Hathaway's Catwoman - and would have liked to see more of her (so to speak! ;^). They could have owrked a bit more on solidifying her relationship/attraction to Bruce so as to make the final scene with them make more sense.

I think Bruce's survival of the explosion was due to his fixing the auot-pilot on The Bat, and then departing well before the explosion.

It bugged me that pretty much everyone seemed to know Bruce was Batman EXCEPT the detective, Gordon. I mean, really, Robin figures it out b/c they're both orphans? Really?? That was kind of lame.

I loved the Talia twist and was surprised with it/thought how could I have missed it? Which is exactly the kind of surprises I love to have.

I'm assuming the next Batman movie will tie in with Man of Steel - and be in a completely different continuity from this movie. (perhaps Bruce Wayne will make an after-the-credits appearance in the movie??). To the extent they want to keep it in continuity with this movie, then I think Robin will become Robin or Nightwing, and Bruce will be Batman. I think I'd prefer they go that route - a direction clearly not in keeping with Nolan's vision of the character, but still consistent enough so that we don't have yet another reboot.

Overall, an enjoyable movie, but lacked the focus of the 1st film, and the greatness of Heath Ledger's Joker of the 2nd film.

e
    L nny

With regard to Batman disappearing for 8 years, figured between Bruce's injuries & the hope Dent started (he did mention keeping the streets cleaned for 18 months) with the Joker taking out the mob bosses (this city deserves a better class of criminals...and gonna give it to them!), so Batman wasn't really needed.

M

• Options
    Matt said:

ctowner1 said:

Great review, guys!

I loved Hathaway's Catwoman - and would have liked to see more of her (so to speak! ;^). They could have owrked a bit more on solidifying her relationship/attraction to Bruce so as to make the final scene with them make more sense.

I think Bruce's survival of the explosion was due to his fixing the auot-pilot on The Bat, and then departing well before the explosion.

e
    L nny

With regard to Batman disappearing for 8 years, figured between Bruce's injuries & the hope Dent started (he did mention keeping the streets cleaned for 18 months) with the Joker taking out the mob bosses (this city deserves a better class of criminals...and gonna give it to them!), so Batman wasn't really needed.

M

I think that's a little shaky: since when does Batman need rampant crime to be active? he's driven to be out there to avenge his parents' deaths? If he was really planning to retire after the agreement struck in DK, wouldn't it have been mentioned then?

By the way, were the injuries he sustained - ex. the knee problem - injuries we saw in DK? was he limping at the end of that movie? I originally thought that those were cumulative injuries from years of fighting - but you guys made it clear on the podcast (which I hadn't picked up on), that through the end of DK, he had only been been Batman for a single year. That was really not in keeping w/my perception of the character as he seemed to be presented on the screen.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

Matt said:

ctowner1 said:

Great review, guys!

e
    L nny

M

I think that's a little shaky: since when does Batman need rampant crime to be active? he's driven to be out there to avenge his parents' deaths? If he was really planning to retire after the agreement struck in DK, wouldn't it have been mentioned then?

By the way, were the injuries he sustained - ex. the knee problem - injuries we saw in DK? was he limping at the end of that movie? I originally thought that those were cumulative injuries from years of fighting - but you guys made it clear on the podcast (which I hadn't picked up on), that through the end of DK, he had only been been Batman for a single year. That was really not in keeping w/my perception of the character as he seemed to be presented on the screen.

e
    L nny
    In this movie I thought it became less about avenging his parents & more about being a symbol for people. So, he made himself a negative symbol to help create a positive one of Dent.

Batman does limp heavily at the end of TDK. There's a couple times he seems to almost stumble to the ground.

M

• Options
    ctowner1 said:

Matt said:

ctowner1 said:

Great review, guys!

e
    L nny

M

e
    L nny
    In this movie I thought it became less about avenging his parents & more about being a symbol for people. So, he made himself a negative symbol to help create a positive one of Dent.

Batman does limp heavily at the end of TDK. There's a couple times he seems to almost stumble to the ground.

M

I can buy that (although solely in the context of the Nolan trilogy - in terms of Batman overall, I don't like the idea that he would retire on that basis). So are we to assume, given the closing montage in DK, that he hung around a little to reinforce that negative symbol, and then just faded away?

e
    L nny
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    so Bruce spent years training to be the Batman, did it for a year and then kinda let it be for a hobby for a while, then shoved the suit into a closet for a few years until Bane shows up where he decides to suit up again. this sounds like my magic career.
  • Options
    I think they set up the idea that he didn't want to be Batman forever in DK. He was originally looking at Dent as his way out, but then he and Gordon used Dent's death as a way to unite the city against crime and that became his way out. I mentioned previously that I felt the Nolan trilogy felt very complete, meaning that he was able to move past his parents' death, which is how he was able to walk away from being Batman. It became less about avenging his parents' death and more about honoring their legacy by bringing the city they helped build back from the darkness.

Also, I think the injuries are primarily from the end of DK (he did fall off of a building in the same incident that killed Dent), but some of that is definitely cumulative. Deteriorating cartilage is a product of wear, not tear.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Talking about Batman movies in the future I would prefer a more comic-booky Batman. NOT campy. No body armor. Fights his rogues. But have more detective work and he works more closely with the cops. He can show up at a crime scene and start investigating and no one says a word.
  • Options
    They didn't say blake specifically. They said anyone can be batman. Blake is anyone.

Also, everything I have read states that Nolan is not interested in making another batman film and that they are casting the next one. Strong rumors and logic say it will fit in the new 52. Scuttlebutt in the industry says they are scrambling to set up a jla movie to mimic how marvel got to avengers.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Just listened to the episode: Very interesting comments by Matt. LIke Pants I don't think I would've spent that much time compiling all that information just to see if I could "guess" what was going to happen in the movie. Seems to be bordering on obsessive-compulsiveness. Anyway, like Murd said, I thought the movie was epic, but a bit overwhelming and for me, a bit too long. I don't think I ever looked at my watch (for fear of missing something?) but I wanted to. I loved the "Catwoman" character and I do agree with Matt that she had a great walk--I could watch her walk or lean into that Bat-pod all day! I didn't mind the ending...and well, sure, Blake'll become the next Batman. No problem with that. As for what's next with the franchise, gosh I hope they wait at least MORE than 3 years before starting it up again (I still think that the new Spidey movie came out way too fast!).
  • Options
    It's not that much OCD :). I was challenged, do I had to make sure I was successful.

As for the reboot, I'm not sure how I feel with a DCnU Batman movie. I don't really care for the new universe. I presume they'll want to do something more Batman Forever (a balance of hokey, dark, and comic book-y) than the Nolan trilogy. Not sure I'm up for that...at least it would be hard to remain objective to it without comparing.

I'd just hope there is sufficient time before the reboot & that it's not thrown together for a JLA movie.

M
  • Options
    There is no way that there will be a Justice League movie without Bruce Wayne in the costume. Not gonna happen.
  • Options
    Matt said:

I'd just hope there is sufficient time before the reboot & that it's not thrown together for a JLA movie.

M

So does DC own all of their movies and there's not a split ownership thing like Marvel has? If so, we have Superman coming up and Green Lantern in the hopper. Is there any rumor if the Superman movie will lay down any JLA hints? Is there another DC movie scheduled after Superman? I would think they'd go with Flash or Wonder Woman, but if not them, then Batman would have to be the next one before doing a JLA movie. So I would think it won't be too long before we get the next Batman movie - certainly not much more than 2 or 3 years.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Great show guys, very infomative and honest. I just started listening to your podcasts. I can't believe I heard mention of the fairgrounds mall! I just assume podcasts always take place a thousand miles away lol. Looking forward to more, thanks!