Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

<del>Teenage Mutant </del>Ninja Turtles?

So instead of big booms and girls in hot pants he's just re-writing the entire origin?

Might as well let Howard the Duck make a cameo......actually that might work

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/mar/21/michael-bay-sodomising-ninja-turtles

Comments

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I was hoping that the codes worked in the title too

was making that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.....since that's apparently the name of the new movie.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    This has been entirely dead to me since I heard about it. Between this and the new upcoming generic CGI "cartoon" and the even worse toys I hope this flops completely. The lack of effort put into even rewarming past successes is just disheartening. It is all about putting in the least possible amount and reaping as much reward as can be had from it. I've been buying up old sealed toys so that as my son gets older he will have something worth playing with if things continue to go down the crapper.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I finally bought that Ultimate Collection Vol.1 HC. I only ever saw the kiddie stuff . Looking forward to learn the truth B-)
  • Options
    The truth indeed! I'm hooked on buying those HCs too I just wish they had a bit more in them, I have no idea what the count is going to be for the full run but my guess is a lot at this pace. I actually don't mind the original film or even the original cartoon, they had a different vibe but they were still well made and had some soul. I made it about 30 seconds into the promo for the new TMNT cartoon and had to walk away.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    As long as Eastman & Laird are still getting their cut, I say milk it until it's dry.

Bu then again, I'm only really fond of the original B&W iteration, so to me everything since is kind of weird & silly.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I really liked the Turtles when the first cartoon hit, which then drove me to the original comics which I liked even more, but re-reading them now I find they haven't aged as well for me (though the Kirby tribute Donatello one-issue micro-series is still fun), so I kind of feel like I don't have a stake in this particular conflict (though if you're going to make them different, why not just make a different movie?).

All that being said, I did enjoy the crossover movie a few years ago featuring the original cartoon TMNT, the 00's cartoon TMNT, and even the original comic book versions. That was clever.
  • Options
    (though if you're going to make them different, why not just make a different movie?).
    Because established properties are always easier to market and percieved by the studios as safer bets.
  • Options

Because established properties are always easier to market and percieved by the studios as safer bets.
    Yeah, I know, but still, if you want to make a movie about space amphibians who kick people, make the Battletoads movie instead.
  • Options

Yeah, I know, but still, if you want to make a movie about space amphibians who kick people, make the Battletoads movie instead.
    I'm saving the last shreds of my idealism for Pure Comic-y Goodness(TM). Hollywood's far too far gone for me to worry about.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    As long as Eastman & Laird are still getting their cut, I say milk it until it's dry.
    I'm pretty sure Laird sold everything TMNT to the Nickleodeon a few years ago; so other than some IDW publishing stuff he is out. Before that Laird had completly bought Eastman out. So unless they are working on the movie, I'm not sure why they'd get a "cut".
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Laird sold everything TMNT to the Nickleodeon a few years ago; so other than some IDW publishing stuff he is out. Before that Laird had completly bought Eastman out. So unless they are working on the movie, I'm not sure why they'd get a "cut".
    That's a shame.

I hope they got good deals.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I'm pretty sure everyone walked away with a wad of cash in thier pockets. Laird bought out Eastman in the early 2000s (If I remember correctly) and then 2/3 years ago sold everything to Nick.
    So if they didn't walk away flush from thier deals (knowing how much the Turtles can make) then they can't be helped.
  • Options
    Cool.

After all these years, I can hardly blame either of them for cashing out. As much of a freak success the whole property has been, each subsequent resurrection seems that much more unlikely.

And yet it keeps coming back. Amazing.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    If you guys want a great, newish Turtles movie, watch Turtles Forever.
  • Options
    If you guys want a great, newish Turtles movie, watch Turtles Forever.
    That's the one! I mentioned it earlier but couldn't remember the name. It's basically Crisis on Infinite Turtles, and is all the more awesome because of it. If you look closely enough, especially in one particular scene, just about every version of the Turtles ever get glimpsed. Yes, even the one with the girl turtle (Venus, I think?).
  • Options
    Michael Bay is the end of anything with good taste.

I once heard someone say that Michael Bay would make an awesome 2nd Unit Director, focusing on all the action, but shouldn't be let near the main directing job. Remember how he trashed Transformers.

How many incarnations have there been of TMNT so far?
  • Options
    it's funny, nobody would have a problem if he wanted to create a new villain and it could have whatever origin he wanted, but it's like I have to make this mine and so I have to make it different than what people like
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    it's funny, nobody would have a problem if he wanted to create a new villain and it could have whatever origin he wanted, but it's like I have to make this mine and so I have to make it different than what people like
    To me, it's weird. As much crap as we give him for Transformers, as far as the origins and base stuff, he didn't change all that much:

Fighting, transforming Robots came from Cybertron.

Stupid humans getting involved in shit they shouldn't. They should die but don't.

• Options
    Do we know for sure that the Turtles themselves are going to be aliens, or are they going the comic book root where the mutagen was made by the Utroms (via their Earth front company TCRI), so their origins are alien though they themselves are Earth turtles?
  • Options
    Honestly in this thread we have put more thought and detail into this than Bay/Liebsman will in its entirety. If they resemble the stumpy legged low-rent CGI that is the "new" TMNT "cartoon" with the Dora The Explorer April it doesn't even matter, I honestly will not watch this film. Ever. I have enjoyed this franchise, I've watched the absurdity of the Ninja Rap, and I truthfully don't need any more crappy takes on milking it to death. And Dr. Doom, the original TF film wasn't bad because of the general premise, but the execution. The fact that the action was so blurred and fast that you couldn't enjoy it, the convoluted and unnecessary side plots, and the Bay-ness made it bad.
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    From Bleeding Cool:
    Michael Bay Writes:

Paramount marketing changed the name. They made the title simple. The characters you all remember are exactly the same, and yes they still act like teenagers. Everything you remember, why you liked the characters, is in the movie. This script is being developed by two very smart writers, with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles. They care VERY MUCH about making this film for the fans. Everyone on this team cares about the fans. Just give them a chance. Jonathan the director, is a major fan of the whole franchise. HE’S NOT GOING TO LET YOU DOWN.
    Link: bleedingcool.com/2012/03/27/michael-bay-confirms-its-called-ninja-turtles-blames-paramount-marketing-for-name-change/
  • Options
    So they take a title that's been around for 20+ years and simplify it? I could get on board with that if the last time there ever was anything turtle related was 94 and they need to simplify it for a newer audience but we have a new TMNT every few years.

by the way just to throw it out there, who's your favorite? I've always been a Raphael fan myself
  • Options
    Seriously?

You can tell 'em apart?

Wow. I really am old...
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Simplify the title? That will do this much good. Like it did to CARTER.......
  • Options
    Simplify the title? That will do this much good. Like it did to CARTER.......
    Yeah. I expected Stallone.
  • Options
    I love the quote by Leibsman where he responds to the ridiculous aliens business and he basically says, "yeah, I heard all the disapproval. I'm glad the fans are passionate." but that they plan to do what they want anyhow. He mentions that he and Eastman have been working together on it all. Genuinely I hope they all DIAF before this abortion comes to fruition.
  • Options
    he's always been the one with the sai's right? even if they were drawn to long to be effective

to be honest i don't have as much experience with the original version as much as i do with the cartoon and movies though

just reading a little bit on wikipedia, for some reason similarities between the turtles and daredevil never occurred to me
  • Options
    I love the quote by Leibsman where he responds to the ridiculous aliens business and he basically says, "yeah, I heard all the disapproval. I'm glad the fans are passionate." but that they plan to do what they want anyhow. He mentions that he and Eastman have been working together on it all. Genuinely I hope they all DIAF before this abortion comes to fruition.
    Die In A Fire?

Really?

Deep breaths...

Just a movie...

Heck, not even a movie, just publicity for a movie in development.

• Options
    before this abortion comes to fruition.
    Ummm...

Abortions don't come to fruition.

• Options
    @Zhurrie did you want a new Donatello for Christmas one year and Santa brought you a battle toad instead? you're holding a lot of anger

i'm not too happy myself but i'm trying to hold off on death wishes