Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1638 Talkback - Comic Talk

In this savory slumgullion of comics-related miscellanea, we assess recent changes to Marvel and DC's policies on pricing and digital availability, look back on recent Superman movies, look forward to the new Rogue One ongoing comic, and open some Christmas presents. Plus Muddle the Murd, and the official announcement of the CGS 'Best of 2016' Awards! (1:24:20)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I have to agree with @ShaneKelly on the Marvel digital codes debacle. I rotate my comics out too, and having the digital copies has made that an easy decision as to which books are going and which ones remain.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I'm more in the Brian camp. I very rarely read comics online. I'm on a computer all day, so I try to get away from that as much as possible. So this won't affect my Marvel reading at all, but it won't really affect my DC reading either, as I'm not currently reading any of the books which are having their prices raised. I wonder if the trade collections of those DC titles will also be higher priced? I’m assuming the trades won't come with digital codes.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I tried reading comics online but it didn't do much for me. And I don't do floppies either. I'm a trade guy. However regarding Marvel, even their trades all look the same to me. And then I see from them Vol 0 then Vol 1 then Vol 1.5, it's very confusing.
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited January 2017
    One thing can be sure: We all utterly and completely understand Shane's digital comics strategy/procedure/preferences.

All joking aside, I've always thought the digital comics strategy of both companies has been one long, nervous shell game on their parts. Neither fully embracing nor promoting it, they seem to understand the practice represents the final nail in the "floppy" coffin, but must continue with them in order to appease not only the dwindling fan base, but to continue cash streams from retailes, distributors, printers, and everyone else in the food chain. Collecting pixels (i.e. "digital comics") has never appealed to me on any level, so I'll be reading and collecting the paper comics until they finally pull the plug on that format...which I can see happening within the next five years (if that).
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited January 2017
    Last month I made the decision to stop buying new comics. I'd decided that it simply isn't worth the cost and storage anymore. DC books I'll buy in trade and Marvel I'll read through the MU app. Reading Marvel books on my tablet really is nice..especially with the option to put up to 12 issues at a time on the tablet with the ability to read them offline. Not trying to sound like a pitchman for Marvel's digital service but having the ability to read just about anything I want from them is amazing. I'd love it if DC would do the same thing but I won't hold my breath.
    DAR said:

However regarding Marvel, even their trades all look the same to me. And then I see from them Vol 0 then Vol 1 then Vol 1.5, it's very confusing.

I know you're not a fan of digital but the app puts all of the books in order by publishing date so you never have to wonder what your reading order should be.
  • Options
    For me, I got behind on some of my Marvel reading, but continued to order the floppies knowing I would want to read them eventually. I would make an effort every month (or every other month) to log in the 8 or 9 Marvel codes I would have from those unread books, then re-bag & board them for later. Once I needed the space, I was in the position of having paid $2.00 per book (via DCBS) and also having a digital copy in my tablet through my Comixology/Marvel account.

Today, I'm currently running several eBay auctions on the first ten to twelve issues of many of those titles (Darth Vader, Secret Wars, etc), and when these auctions are done, I will still be left with digital copies of the books, and also a small profit on some of those titles. Will it have been worth the effort? Not exactly, but it's kind of fun, and it's helped to rationalize continuing my habit in spite of the ever increasing cover prices on some of my preferred Marvel titles.

However, these days, I am getting only a couple of Marvel books, other than the occasional Epic collection or Omnibus, so I can see how the Marvel Unlimited app will be the digital reading portal of choice for many readers in the future. If I'm a year behind on my Marvel reading, what do I care if it takes 6 months before I can read them with the MU app?

I can see this actually hurting Marvel's floppy sales, and not making much of a difference on their digital sales either. Unlike @Mark_Engblom, I'm not predicting the failure of the floppy comic so quickly, especially with companies like Alterna Comics experimenting with a return to newsprint and cheaper books ($2 per issue), but who knows what their success rate will be? This arrangement apparently wasn't a "win-win" deal for Marvel, so it's being phased out. As for DC adding digital codes? It isn't going to make me start picking up a title just because it has a free digital copy with it, but I will consider it a bonus, just as I did Marvel.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Last month I made the decision to stop buying new comics. I'd decided that it simply isn't worth the cost and storage anymore. DC books I'll buy in trade and Marvel I'll read through the MU app. Reading Marvel books on my tablet really is nice..especially with the option to put up to 12 issues at a time on the tablet with the ability to read them offline. Not trying to sound like a pitchman for Marvel's digital service but having the ability to read just about anything I want from them is amazing. I'd love it if DC would do the same thing but I won't hold my breath.

DAR said:

However regarding Marvel, even their trades all look the same to me. And then I see from them Vol 0 then Vol 1 then Vol 1.5, it's very confusing.

I know you're not a fan of digital but the app puts all of the books in order by publishing date so you never have to wonder what your reading order should be.
    Maybe I'll look into again, thanks
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    DAR said:

Then there is this story today about Marvel coming out with a guide book for readers lost by all the relaunches.
    "it just ends up with potential new readers staring at six “Volume 1” trade paperbacks, unsure which one they’re supposed to read first, and then giving up and buying an Image book".
  • Options
    If there’s one thing I hate about Marvel’s product, it how they package trades. Not just the confusion about what order the books should be read in, but the fact that Marvel trades everything, whether it deserves it or not. But then, flooding the marketplace is a long-standing tradition at Marvel.
  • Options
    Great discussions here everyone!

Side note which I never stated on the show. I always considered the Marvel digital codes a bonus too. I am just disappointed with this direction now.

Having the digital codes from DC won't make me buy any more titles either. Especially with how limited it will be, it is just a bonus now too.

Thanks for chiming in everyone. :smile:
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    The one thing that is keeping me in the hobby is DC and Marvel (mostly DC) publishing their back catalogue in trade.

For new material, I am pretty much down to just a couple Marvel books -the Mark Waid and Jason Aaron written books.

Digital codes have never really meant anything to me.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I'm basically down to Moon Knight & Independent books. The Independent books don't have digital codes & ive never used the Marvel code. Still won't.

I think it'll backfire if Marvel digital codes to other books. Sometimes when you try to expand reader (or viewership with TV), you lose your foundation consumers. Will the new readers outweigh (or balance out) the long timers lost? We'll see.

M
  • Options
    Independents..failed to mention those. I've been buying those in trade for a while already.
  • Options
    Hey guys.
    Don't post on here as much as i should anymore but this conversation compelled me.

1) The digital code loss at marvel is a big one for me. I purchase around 30 single issues a week, the way i have time to read all those is by using the digital codes for my marvel books, i get to keep my physical collection but read on train or at work. I also review Deadpool issues and having digital copies greatly assists rereads and image sourcing.

Now i am an international buyer so that means i spend basically double US cover price for my books (or quadruple DCBS price :smiley: ) so that $1 difference is $2 for me. now i know that a digital code isn't $1 but it did add extra value to my purchase that was once there. Now i know marvel is offerring Promotional issues instead. but if you know marvel digital you always had three issues that change each week that are free. so they are replacing it with something they always offered even without a purchase.

I'm going to be dropping a lot of marvel books, not because i want to or can't afford them but more just for time to read and value for my dollars

2) Chris , i love you buddy, but you broke my widdle wade heart. Talking about how marvel dosent let characters breath and progress with great creator runs. You used Deadpool as an example of the negative example. While i give you the fact he has had over saturation in the market (most spin offs being out of continuity ). The main Deadpool title is exactly the thing you keep saying is missing at Marvel. Gerry Duggan has had a treamendous run at marvel on Deadpool he has been on the book as long Aaron has been on Thor and delivering the same quality and tight continuity across the run. Plus he has been more prolific than aarons thor. 70 + issues of the main title not to mention one shot specials, annuals, Uncanny Avengers vol (which both features and ties heavily to Deadpool Continuity) . All this while telling great stories featuring the character that many fan think will be classic stories remembered for years. Joe Kelly is the Deadpool master. but right after him in most hardcore DP fans eyes is Gerry Duggan. Along with Thor this is the title other mainstream books should be looking to to re embrace that great creator run. but no hard feelings buddy i understand the DP shelf is crowded but part of the reason is the main book is gold. Hell over most of the last decade and a half Deadpool has had three writers total for his main 616 story Fabin Nicieza , Daniel Way and Gerry Duggan. while humor is part of his appeal i also think that under the nose of a lot of old school comic fans but being picked up by the new fans this is where the solid creator runs on a character have been happening. this is how DP went from D lister to A lister at marvel in a short space.

So chris my homework to you my outstanding comic historian is TPB Deadpool : the Good the Bad and the Ugly (this is the classic of Duggan's run and establishing of his run post Brian Posehan co writer and is a punch to the gut, its not all laughs here ).... as well as/or instead of, the recent Deadpool Vol 5 issues 20 (this is "a very special issue" where Deadpool spends a night talking with a suicidal girl. shows this book is more than most folks think it is )
  • Options
    I LOVE episodes like 1638. I find Chris' perspective on the retail side of the industry fascinating. I could listen to him talk about it for hours! The digital thing doesn't bother me. I may be in the minority, but I 99% of the time I'm reading floppies. I occasionally pick up a trade if I am interested in the story.

I did read the Masters of Kung Fu Omnibus. PICK THIS UP!!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Re: Superman Returns

I had high hopes for the movie, especially after so many years of alarming news and rumors from the various (and mercifully) scrubbed Superman projects prior to Bryan Singer coming on board.

Sadly, Superman Returns was a huge mixed bag, with the negatives ultimately outweighing the positives. Without going into a whole treatise, here's a basic overview of what worked and what didn't work for me:

What worked:

1. The intro credits. Wonderfully updating (and cleverly reversing the direction) of the epic opening sequence from Superman: The Movie was a pure nostalgic rush, bursting with the promise of high adventure (which...sadly...went largely unfulfilled).

2. The pastiche/tribute vibe incorporating many elements from the beloved (i.e. "first two") Reeve films. Loved hearing the John Williams themes sprinkled liberally throughout John Ottman's score, the exact replica of the Kent farmstead, and seeing Marlon Brando's Jor-El "resurrected" for a brief scene. This same desire to invoke the Reeve films would also be part of the film's undoing, but wanted to acknowledge that some of that nostalgic riffing was appreciated.

3. Brandon Routh: The actor did a great Clark Kent, which wasn't quite the uber-nerd caricature Christopher Reeve opted for. His Superman was great too, though best when directly channeling (if not outright impersonating) Reeve as Superman. I really felt like he gave it his all.

4. Superman's airplane rescue and triumphant reception at the baseball stadium. 'Nuff said.

5. Sam Huntington as Jimmy Olsen was great...he struck the right balance between friendly guy and wisenheimer without wallowing in the "golly gee" excess of previous TV/movie Jimmies or coming off as a hipster jerk.

What Didn't Work:

1. Lex Luthor: One of the weakest elements of the original Donner films was the wonky reimagining of Lex Luthor as an eccentric genius with a real estate fetish surrounding himself with nincompoops and bimbos. Sadly, director Bryan Singer felt this was a strength and continued the tradition. Kevin Spacey's Luthor and Parker Posey's...whatever her name was....turned out to be the same old, same old. Despite glimmers of real menace, Luthor was (once again) largely a campy caricature. The point in the movie when it became clear that Luthor was, once again, hatching a giant "land grab via mass disaster" scheme was such a beat-down. What a waste.

2. Super-Stalker: As Chris and others have mentioned, the wildly out-of-character shots of Superman spying on Lois Lane and her family sent my jaw dropping. Adding to his already compromised emotional maturity (leaving Earth for 5 years to mope in the rubble of Krypton!), the deeply weird peeping reduced the Man of Steel to the level of a creepy loner lost in his fantasies. Definitely not the guy Jor-El trained for twelve years before unleashing him on the world.

3. Kate Bosworth: The utterly miscast Bosworth was a complete non-entity, bringing zero charisma and competence to a role that absolutely demands those qualities. I didn't buy her as Lois Lane for one single second, not only because she was far too young, but also because she radiated "I don't want to be here" in every scene she appeared in. Much like Margot Kidder's very unappealing Lois in Superman II, Bosworth made me wonder "what on Earth does Superman see in this woman"?

4. The Kid: What a dreadful place to take this story, and I can't understand (to this day) why Singer and his pet writers thought this was an intriguing, viable direction to take Superman. Fatherhood is too important and profound to casually rope Superman into it as a kinda-sorta sideline "baby daddy". Creatively and morally obtuse.

5. The Messiah Complex: I'm not sure what it is about modern Superman movies, but the almost psychotic insistence upon positioning him as a messianic figure bores me to no end. I'm talking about all the scenes of Superman hovering (angel-like) accompanied by reverent heavenly choruses. Superman, at his core, is a figure of movement and rugged action...not inert, overly reverential sci-fi divinity.

6. The Costume: The dark maroons, dingy blues, dopey Speedo trunks, and the nonsensical 3D S-symbol made it clear Hollywood is deeply embarrassed by a more traditional Superman, giving us an early indication of where things would go over the next 10+ years. Now, even the publisher of Superman's comic books is ashamed of his traditional look...much of which you can trace back to Superman Returns (which made it okay to start radically fiddling with the costume design and color scheme).

7. Ben Hubbard: Back in Superman: The Movie, when Clark assured his elderly mother that neighbor Ben Hubbard would "be happy to help out" around the farm in his absence, I don't think Clark intended for him to "help out" Ma Kent as much as this movie implied he'd been "helping out" all these years. Okay, I'm only joking on this one. Sort of.

So there you go. An ambitious movie with some glimmers of greatness, but ultimately brought down by its director's quirks and faulty instincts.
  • Options

Re: Superman Returns

I had high hopes for the movie, especially after so many years of alarming news and rumors from the various (and mercifully) scrubbed Superman projects prior to Bryan Singer coming on board.

Sadly, Superman Returns was a huge mixed bag, with the negatives ultimately outweighing the positives. Without going into a whole treatise, here's a basic overview of what worked and what didn't work for me:

What worked:

1. The intro credits. Wonderfully updating (and cleverly reversing the direction) of the epic opening sequence from Superman: The Movie was a pure nostalgic rush, bursting with the promise of high adventure (which...sadly...went largely unfulfilled).

2. The pastiche/tribute vibe incorporating many elements from the beloved (i.e. "first two") Reeve films. Loved hearing the John Williams themes sprinkled liberally throughout John Ottman's score, the exact replica of the Kent farmstead, and seeing Marlon Brando's Jor-El "resurrected" for a brief scene. This same desire to invoke the Reeve films would also be part of the film's undoing, but wanted to acknowledge that some of that nostalgic riffing was appreciated.

3. Brandon Routh: The actor did a great Clark Kent, which wasn't quite the uber-nerd caricature Christopher Reeve opted for. His Superman was great too, though best when directly channeling (if not outright impersonating) Reeve as Superman. I really felt like he gave it his all.

4. Superman's airplane rescue and triumphant reception at the baseball stadium. 'Nuff said.

5. Sam Huntington as Jimmy Olsen was great...he struck the right balance between friendly guy and wisenheimer without wallowing in the "golly gee" excess of previous TV/movie Jimmies or coming off as a hipster jerk.

What Didn't Work:

1. Lex Luthor: One of the weakest elements of the original Donner films was the wonky reimagining of Lex Luthor as an eccentric genius with a real estate fetish surrounding himself with nincompoops and bimbos. Sadly, director Bryan Singer felt this was a strength and continued the tradition. Kevin Spacey's Luthor and Parker Posey's...whatever her name was....turned out to be the same old, same old. Despite glimmers of real menace, Luthor was (once again) largely a campy caricature. The point in the movie when it became clear that Luthor was, once again, hatching a giant "land grab via mass disaster" scheme was such a beat-down. What a waste.

2. Super-Stalker: As Chris and others have mentioned, the wildly out-of-character shots of Superman spying on Lois Lane and her family sent my jaw dropping. Adding to his already compromised emotional maturity (leaving Earth for 5 years to mope in the rubble of Krypton!), the deeply weird peeping reduced the Man of Steel to the level of a creepy loner lost in his fantasies. Definitely not the guy Jor-El trained for twelve years before unleashing him on the world.

3. Kate Bosworth: The utterly miscast Bosworth was a complete non-entity, bringing zero charisma and competence to a role that absolutely demands those qualities. I didn't buy her as Lois Lane for one single second, not only because she was far too young, but also because she radiated "I don't want to be here" in every scene she appeared in. Much like Margot Kidder's very unappealing Lois in Superman II, Bosworth made me wonder "what on Earth does Superman see in this woman"?

4. The Kid: What a dreadful place to take this story, and I can't understand (to this day) why Singer and his pet writers thought this was an intriguing, viable direction to take Superman. Fatherhood is too important and profound to casually rope Superman into it as a kinda-sorta sideline "baby daddy". Creatively and morally obtuse.

5. The Messiah Complex: I'm not sure what it is about modern Superman movies, but the almost psychotic insistence upon positioning him as a messianic figure bores me to no end. I'm talking about all the scenes of Superman hovering (angel-like) accompanied by reverent heavenly choruses. Superman, at his core, is a figure of movement and rugged action...not inert, overly reverential sci-fi divinity.

6. The Costume: The dark maroons, dingy blues, dopey Speedo trunks, and the nonsensical 3D S-symbol made it clear Hollywood is deeply embarrassed by a more traditional Superman, giving us an early indication of where things would go over the next 10+ years. Now, even the publisher of Superman's comic books is ashamed of his traditional look...much of which you can trace back to Superman Returns (which made it okay to start radically fiddling with the costume design and color scheme).

7. Ben Hubbard: Back in Superman: The Movie, when Clark assured his elderly mother that neighbor Ben Hubbard would "be happy to help out" around the farm in his absence, I don't think Clark intended for him to "help out" Ma Kent as much as this movie implied he'd been "helping out" all these years. Okay, I'm only joking on this one. Sort of.

So there you go. An ambitious movie with some glimmers of greatness, but ultimately brought down by its director's quirks and faulty instincts.

The kid has always been the biggest hurdle for me to get over when I watch the movie. It was a gamble Singer took to again connect Kal El with Earth. It did not payoff.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    The kid has always been the biggest hurdle for me to get over when I watch the movie. It was a gamble Singer took to again connect Kal El with Earth. It did not payoff.
    Definitely. Because being raised as a human, by humans, on Earth, since infancy, isn't quite enough to make a guy feel connected to Earth.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    My take on Superman Returns is essentially the same as @Matt and @Mark_Engblom, and I wholeheartedly agree about the spectacular plane sequence, which still holds up today. Unfortunately, this is the only “super” moment throughout the picture.

Otherwise, the film’s action scenes occur far too sparingly. You don't get to see Superman in costume until nearly an hour into the film and Superman doesn’t even punch anyone or anything in the movie. Not even when he is being beaten by Lex’s thugs. He only lifts heavy objects throughout the movie. And as for Kevin Spacey’s version of Lex Luthor (a casting decision that was better in theory than what ended up on-screen) it's essentially an over-the-top Gene Hackman impersonation, just more sadistic. Audiences wanted a new adventure, not another Lex Luthor land-grab.

And Lois is portrayed very poorly by Kate Bosworth. She's reduced to little more than a damsel-in-distress and has zero chemistry with Brandon Routh. And as for their murderous son, he isn't much more than a useless, glum and a distracting element to an already lackluster movie.

Superman Returns never felt like the start of something new, but rather a send off for the Christopher Reeve era of the franchise which never got the appropriate sendoff it deserved. I believe it's still worth a look for fans, as it's probably the last Superman movie we'll get where the primary function of the character is more about hope and growth instead of raw power.
  • Options

Definitely. Because being raised as a human, by humans, on Earth, since infancy, isn't quite enough to make a guy feel connected to Earth.

Kent is one of the characters I don't like seeing as a father. It's one of the reasons I haven't read Batman since Damien has been introduced.

M
  • Options

My take on Superman Returns is essentially the same as @Matt and @Mark_Engblom, and I wholeheartedly agree about the spectacular plane sequence, which still holds up today. Unfortunately, this is the only “super” moment throughout the picture.

Otherwise, the film’s action scenes occur far too sparingly. You don't get to see Superman in costume until nearly an hour into the film and Superman doesn’t even punch anyone or anything in the movie. Not even when he is being beaten by Lex’s thugs. He only lifts heavy objects throughout the movie. And as for Kevin Spacey’s version of Lex Luthor (a casting decision that was better in theory than what ended up on-screen) it's essentially an over-the-top Gene Hackman impersonation, just more sadistic. Audiences wanted a new adventure, not another Lex Luthor land-grab.

And Lois is portrayed very poorly by Kate Bosworth. She's reduced to little more than a damsel-in-distress and has zero chemistry with Brandon Routh. And as for their murderous son, he isn't much more than a useless, glum and a distracting element to an already lackluster movie.

Superman Returns never felt like the start of something new, but rather a send off for the Christopher Reeve era of the franchise which never got the appropriate sendoff it deserved. I believe it's still worth a look for fans, as it's probably the last Superman movie we'll get where the primary function of the character is more about hope and growth instead of raw power.
    I'm partial to this scene too.

https://youtu.be/P1AQylZXk84

You're right about it seeming like a send off to the Reeve(/Donner) era. Is it a coincidence you can get Superman, II: The Donner Cut, & Returns on 1 Blu-ray Disc?

M
  • Options
    It's weird but Superman Returns never seems shows up in the regular Spike/FX/TNT etc rotation.

As for the film itself, I remember sort of liking it but to be honest it's been a few years since I saw it.
  • Options
    Matt said:

You're right about it seeming like a send off to the Reeve(/Donner) era. Is it a coincidence you can get Superman, II: The Donner Cut, & Returns on 1 Blu-ray Disc?

M

Yes, that was good. This was a cool scene, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLN3dPMyXeg

Too bad a few good scenes a good film don't make.
  • Options
    J_DickJ_Dick Posts: 4
    In regard to Marvel digital code: Maybe I'm not understanding but won't every book released on a given week be packaged with the same digital codes? So if you buy 5 Marvel titles one week you will only be getting the same 2 unique digital books 5 times over? (The first week every book will come with Civil War 2 #0). What a rip off.

Superman Returns is a very weird movie. Part remake of the original Donner movie, pseudo sequel to Superman 2, part reboot and just very boring.

• Options
    J_Dick said:

In regard to Marvel digital code: Maybe I'm not understanding but won't every book released on a given week be packaged with the same digital codes? So if you buy 5 Marvel titles one week you will only be getting the same 2 unique digital books 5 times over? (The first week every book will come with Civil War 2 #0). What a rip off.

That's my understanding as well.

As for whether it's a ripoff or not, the cover prices would be the same as they are now even if Marvel had never introduced the free codes. This goes back to the old concept of be careful of what you give away for free, because if you ever take it away, it will not go well. I've posted this story on this forum before, but it here it is again for anyone who missed it.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Not a fan of the digital code change at Marvel. I don't buy comics off the racks too much anymore $4-5 for a comic is madness to me and paying for that for a digital copy is even more so. I bought Black Panther and Power Man and Iron Fist for the first few issues but that's it for me.

I have Marvel Unlimited and I just wait for the sales on Comixology. Sale waiting has worked out so well for me. I got both volumes of the Allred Silver Surfer run up to #8 of the second series for .99 a pop. Even though I have MU I like the reading experience on Comixology much better. I have done the same thing for the Aaron Dr. Strange run. I just wait. I have bought way more digital comics than floppies in 2015-2016 and I really like having not to deal with the paper.

The Aaron Thor run trades are on sale this week for like $4-5 and that keeps me from the floppies even more. We are all comic readers but I am a reader who is appreciating the reading with out the collecting now.

I still enjoy some bin diving by going to a show or a con and grabbing some $1 back issues that still have non-expired codes. I just don't need the books anymore.
  • Options
    J_DickJ_Dick Posts: 4

J_Dick said:

As for whether it's a ripoff or not, the cover prices would be the same as they are now even if Marvel had never introduced the free codes. This goes back to the old concept of be careful of what you give away for free, because if you ever take it away, it will not go well. I've posted this story on this forum before, but it here it is again for anyone who missed it.
    They weren't giving it away though...it was included with the price of the book.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2017

J_Dick said:

I loved that NPR story, too, and think it tells a great story/ lesson about what happens when you create an expectation of what will be free (certainly those in the news and content business in the age of the Internet have suffered from that).

I don't feel it applies to this case, though, because in the case of the Red Cross starting to charge for donuts (or the NYTimes and others starting to charge for access to their content online), Marvel messaged to us from the beginning that these codes were added value, because their introduction was tied to a substantial price increase.

Remember-- they were rolled out at at time when there were still $2.99 books, that did not come with the codes. The codes only came with the $3.99 ones, and were described, right on the cover dress, as a "BONUS".

Here is how the Marvel press release back in 2012 that announced this move began:
    Marvel is proud to announce that, beginning June 2012, all Marvel super hero comics priced at $3.99 will include codes for free digital copies of those same issues on the Marvel Comics app for iOS and Android devices at no extra cost! That’s right, the most-talked-about comics in the industry—including Avengers, Captain America, Invincible Iron Man, Mighty Thor, Amazing Spider-Man. Wolverine & The X-Men and more—will come packed with a code to ensure fans have the most critically acclaimed stories with them anytime, anywhere.

“We’re committed to bringing fans the best value in comics. By including codes for free digital copies in all our $3.99 super hero comics, we’re doing just that” said David Gabriel, SVP of Sales, Marvel Entertainment. “We’ve seen a tremendous response to the digital codes in Avenging Spider-Man, our Season One graphic novels and the Ultimate Comics line. The positive reactions from both retailers and fans make it clear that including these codes with our books drives customers into comic stores on a repeated basis.”
    (You can read the whole press release, and some astute and now prescient coverage of what it will end up meaning, here at The Comic Book Critic)

Notice how Gabriel approaches this in his statement, that this is about bringing fans the best value. When you are talking about value, you are justifying price.

This is because he is having to argue why comics that the month before cost $3 for the same amount of story pages and now are going to cost a dollar more. Well, the answer is the digital code. That has added VALUE. So that is not a free gift. That is value you are paying for, at that new price-- they used this new "bonus" and "free" thing as a way to justify a substantial price increase, and now they are charging the same, but changing the deal on what you get.

I also notice that the cover branding-- where you would also find the new price-- would use the word "BONUS". The word "FREE" would be on the sticker inside. I think that was intentional. Bonus is the word to use when the consumer is deciding yes or no. Asking themselves, "What do I get for this price?" While, later, after deciding to buy, they are peeling that sticker, and they are supposed to feel, "I am getting something for free!" as if this was an act of generosity on the part of the publisher.

They know they can get away with it, because in the last 5 or so years, they and other publishers have normalized the idea of $4 single issues, so they figure their bonus digital copies can now feel like some kind of largess on their part-- a thing they were doing that the competition wasn't giving you anyway. But that is because we are now used to a comic being $4 and you just get the comic (and, of course, Marvel and in some cases DC, are now working to get us used to the $5 price). So they are changing the digital copy deal on us now, because they no longer need it to be something you were getting as part of the package, to justify a new price point.

Now they can spin it as something they were giving away for free in the first place, as if out of kindness. And now they are just going to give us something different, for free, and so how ungrateful would it be for us to complain about THAT??

Except that wasn't actually what these codes were back in 2012. They were "free", but they weren't free. They were part of the terms of a new agreement for what we would get now that we were paying a dollar more.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2017
    To take it into my own reading-- I had stuck up, through a forum thread for trading or giving away codes, a long ongoing trade with someone, which had been great, and mutually beneficial. In general, he was buying Thor, Squadron Supreme, some X-books, etc., I was buying Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Avengers books and event books, things like that, and we each had some other things here and there. We would keep each posted on what we were ordering. (This may not have been in the spirit of what Marvel intended with these codes, but it was also nothing their fine print ever prohibited, for what it is worth.)

For me, at least, this change on Marvel's part is going to have me buying a lot less single issues. I partly justified continuing to so, even though some titles (like Waid's Avengers, which I have liked, but not nearly as much as Hickman) had started stacking up, and I was far enough behind on some of my reading that, at that point, I might as well have waiting and read them on Marvel Unlimited. But I kept my single buying going partly because I had this great trading relationship set up, and was basically getting two books for the DCBS price of one.

Well, now that he and I won't have anything to trade, I think for most all of my Marvel reading I will just take the 6 month gap and wait for Marvel Unlimited. I certainly have plenty of other books, especially from Image, to be reading on paper.

This is anecdotal, of course. I am not saying that how I was doing it is common enough to really factor into what this change means for Marvel, or to retailers. But figured I would give a personal anecdote of how I was using these codes, and what it did to my buying habits, to go along with talking about it overall.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited January 2017
    I think I mentioned this in another thread, but once Marvel really started pushing Marvel Unlimited. My purchasing of marvel floppies plummeted, my purchasing of Marvel trades plummeted, and my purchasing of Marvel Digital went to zero. Even though the app is trash, the selection is amazing.