Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Marathon said:

DAR said:

I've just started IT for the first time

One of my favourite King books, but be prepared for the most controversial scene King's ever written. You'll know it when you read it.
    I know what it is. I happened to be reading about the movie and found out about it
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Marathon said:

DAR said:

I've just started IT for the first time

One of my favourite King books, but be prepared for the most controversial scene King's ever written. You'll know it when you read it.
    Must admit that took me back a bit! Can't imagine that'll make it into the upcoming movie!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Currently reading

American GOds-decent so far. But I am not a huge fan of Gaiman.
    The Evil Dead Companion-Really good.

Got the horror fiction hookup yesterday. Had seen that someone locally was giving away 5 boxes full of horror fiction. For free! So contacted the guy and arranged to meet up with him. From the pictures he had posted I saw 12 or so novels I wanted.

Met up with him yesterday afternoon. And loaded 5 huge and heavy boxes into my car. Managed to go thru one box with my lady and some friends. Gave them all the books that I already owned.

Here is a list of all the other stuff in the boxes. The books with a * at the end are ones I already own.

Clive Barker-Mister B. Gone
    Ray Bradbury-The October Country
    Ray Bradbury-Something Wicked this way comes
    Gary A. Branbeck-Coffin County
    Gary A. Branbeck-Far Dark Fields
    Gary A. Branbeck-In Silent Graves
    Gary A. Branbeck-Keepers
    Gary A. Branbeck-Mr Hands
    Ramsey Campbell-Creatures of the Pool
    Ramsey Campbell-The Darkest Part of the Woods
    Ramsey Campbell-The Overnight
    Mike Carey-The Devil You Know
    Hugh B. Cave-the Restless Dead
    Simon Clark-Blood Crazy
    Simon Clark-Death's Dominion
    Simon Clark-Ghost Monster
    Simon Clark-In this Skin
    Simon Clark-Stranger
    Simon Clark-Vampyrrhic
    Douglas Clegg-The Abandoned
    Douglas Clegg-The Attraction
    Douglas Clegg-The Halloween Man
    Douglas Clegg-The Hour Before Dark
    Douglas Clegg-The Infinite
    Douglas Clegg-Mischief
    Douglas Clegg-The Nightmare Chronicles
    Douglas Clegg-Nightmare House
    Douglas Clegg-You Come When I call You
    Matthew Costello-Missing Monday
    Guillermo Deltoro&Chuck Hogan-The Strain
    Robert Dunbar-The Pines
    Robert Dunbar-The Shore
    B.K.Evenson&Rob Zombie-Lords of Salem
    John Everson-Covenant
    John Everson-Sacrifice
    John Everson-The 13th
    Robert Fleming-Havoc After Dark Tales of Terror
    W.D.Gagliani-Wolf's Bluff
    W.D.Gagliani-Wolf's Gambit
    W.D.Gagliani-Wolf's Trap
    Ray Garton-Loveliest Dead
    Ray Garton-Ravenous
    R.Patrick Gates-The Prison
    J.F.Gonzalez-Survivor
    Leopoldo Gouti-Ghost Radio
    Walter Greatshell-Xombies
    Daryl Gregory-We are all Completely Fine
    Stephen Gregory-Wakening the Crow
    Lori Handeland-Shakespeare Undead
    Rick Hautala-Bedbugs
    Grady Hendrix-HorrorStor
    Steve Hockensmith-Dawn of the Dreadfuls
    Tobe Hooper-Midnight Movie
    Alex Irvine-The Supernatural Book of Monsters,Spirits,Demons and Ghouls
    Anthony Izzo-Evil Harvest
    Lisa Jackson-Born to Die
    Shirley Jackson-Hangsaman
    Brian Keene-Blood on the Page the Complete Short fiction of Brian Keene
    Brian Keene-Dark Hollow
    Brian Keene-Darkness on the Edge of Town*
    Brian Keene-Dead Sea 2 copies
    Brian Keene-A Gathering of Crows
    Brian Keene-Ghost Walk*
    Brian Keene-Ghoul*
    Brian Keene-The Rising
    Brian Keene-Unhappy Endings
    Brian Keene-Urban Gothic*
    Damien Kelly-The Christmas Gifts
    Nate Kenyon-The Bone Factory
    Nate Kenyon-Sparrow Rock
    Jack Ketchum-Red
    Stephen King-On Writing
    M.J.Konevich-The Rousseau House
    Michael Laimo-Deep in the Darkness
    Michael Laimo-The Demonologist
    Joe R.Lansdale-Bumper Crop
    Joe R. Lansdale-High Cotton
    Stephen Laws-The Wyrm
    Richard Laymon-Beware
    Richard Laymon-The Cellar
    Richard Laymon-Darkness,Tell Us
    Richard Laymon-Flesh
    Richard Laymon-The Midnight Tour
    Richard Laymon-Resurrection Dreams
    Richard Laymon-Savage
    Tim Lebbon-Berserk*
    Tim Lebbon-Desolation
    Tim Lebbon-The Everlasting
    Tim Lebbon-Face
    Tim Lebbon-30 Days of Night
    Edward Lee-City Infernal
    Edward Lee-The Golem
    Edward Lee-The Innswich Horror
    Edward Lee-Monstrosity
    Bentley Little-The Collection
    Bentley Little-Dispatch
    Bentley Little-The House
    Bentley Little-The Revelation
    Bentley Little-The Vanishing
    Michael Logan-Apocalypse Cow
    Adam Lukeman-Fangoria 101 Best Horror Movies You've never seen
    Michelle Lundy-Christmas Coffin
    John Maberry-Bad Moon Rising
    John Maberry-Dead Man's Song
    John Maberry-Ghost House Blues
    John Maberry-Patient Zero
    Ronald Malfi-Snow
    Hilary Mantel-Beyond Black
    A.Lee Martinez-Gil's All Fright Diner
    A.Lee Martinez-A Nameless Wind
    Graham Masterton-The Djinn
    Richard Matheson-Button Button Uncanny Stories
    Richard Matheson-Hell House
    L.H.Maynard&M.P.Sims-Night Souls
    Robert McCammon-Swan Song
    Shane Mckenzie-Infinity House
    Joe McKinney-Dead City 2 copies
    Graham McNeill-Bones of the Yopasi
    Paul Melniczek-Frightful October Tales of Halloween Horror
    Brent Monahan-An American Haunting
    James A. Moore-Blood Red
    James A. Moore-Deeper
    James A. Moore-The Pack
    James A. Moore-Rabid Growth
    James A. Moore-Writ in Blood
    Kim Newman-Jugo
    Scott Nicholson-The Farm
    Scott Nicholson-The Harvest
    Scott Nicholson-The Manor
    Norman Partridge-Johnny Halloween:Tales of the Dark Season
    Sarah Pinborough-Breeding Ground
    Sarah Pinborough-Feeding Ground
    Preston&Child-Still Life with Crows
    Z.A. Recht-Plague of the Dead
    Gord Rollo-Strange Magic
    Al Sarrantonio-Halloweenland
    Al Sarrantonio-Hallows Eve
    Al Sarrantonio-Horrorween
    Al Sarrantonio-Orangefield
    John Saul-House of Reckoning
    John Saul-In the Dark of the Night
    Hank Schwaeble-Damnable
    John Shirley-Crawlers
    John Shirley-Demons
    John Skipp&Craig Spector-The Bridge
    Bryan Smith-Depraved
    Bryan Smith-The Freakshow
    Bryan Smith-House of Blood
    Bryan Smith-The Killing Kind
    Bryan Smith-The Late Night Horror Show
    Scott Smith-The Ruins
    Alexandra Sokoloff-The Harrowing
    Jeff Strand-Dweller
    Jeff Strand-Pressure
    Peter Straub-A Dark Matter
    Koji Suzuki-Dark Water
    Tim Waggoner-Pandora Drive
    Bill Warren-The Evil Dead Companion
    Michael West-Spook House
    Wrath James White-The Resurrectionist
    Conrad Williams-Decay Inevitable
    Conrad Williams-One
    F.Paul Wilson-the Keep

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Anthologies
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Alone on the Darkside
    Arkham Tales Legends of the Haunted City
    Best Horror of the Year vol 6
    The Black Spiral
    The Darker Side Generations of Horror
    Harvest Tales & Midnight Revels
    Horrorscape
    House of Fear
    Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 14,15,17,18,22
    Mammoth Book of Monsters
    The Middle of Nowhere Horror in Rural America
    Night Frights Collection
    Octoberland
    Read by Dawn Volume 2
    A Walk on the Darkside Visions of Horror
    Writers Workshop of Horror
    World's Greatest Horror Stories
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Not a huge horror guy, but I remember reading and loving The Keep.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Finished
    Colors of Magic by Terry Prachett this was a good start, but I've found his latter books much better. I really like the Discworld books.

Currently reading Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

Peter Pan - what a great book! I absolutely love almost everything about it. I recommend reading this to your kids.

The problem with it: Peter Pan is written like games little English boys would have played in 1900. The Indians are called Redskins throughout and are a stereotype of Indians (think the movie, only they are braver, smarter, craftier and Tiger Lily is the leader). When reading to my daughter I just replace the word with Indian. I also replace Silly Ass with Silly Donkey. Context & culture and a little editing, goes a long way.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Colors of Magic by Terry Prachett this was a good start, but I've found his latter books much better. I really like the Discworld books.

Indeed. It took me a really long time to get into Pratchett because of that. The Colour of Magic is okay, but it didn’t make me want to rush out and get the next book. It was years before I picked up anything else by him, and now he’s a favorite. I think my favorite of the Discworld books are the Tiffany Aching stories, by crivens.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

Indeed. It took me a really long time to get into Pratchett because of that. The Colour of Magic is okay, but it didn’t make me want to rush out and get the next book. It was years before I picked up anything else by him, and now he’s a favorite. I think my favorite of the Discworld books are the Tiffany Aching stories, by crivens.
    I just got those on the nook.

I've read 4/5 Discworld books before I read Colors of Magic; it was my least favorite. I'm glad I started in different places.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

I've read 4/5 Discworld books before I read Colors of Magic; it was my least favorite. I'm glad I started in different places.
    I am a major Pratchett fan. I've re-read all the Discworld books at least once --except-- The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic.

It wasn't until Granny Weatherwax showed up in Equal Rites that Discworld really became Discworld. She pretty much refused to be a silly character and the world adapted to fit her personality. (Which is pretty much how Esme worked from then on.)
  • Options
    WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

It wasn't until Granny Weatherwax showed up in Equal Rites that Discworld really became Discworld. She pretty much refused to be a silly character and the world adapted to fit her personality. (Which is pretty much how Esme worked from then on.)
    Is Equal Rites the first of the witch books?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Is Equal Rites the first of the witch books?
    It introduces Granny. Nanny & Magrat join the fun in Wyrd Sisters.
  • Options
    Just started Sleeping Beauties. The latest book from Stephen King, this time co-written with his son Owen King.
  • Options
    Time to update the old reading thread:

Almost done with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland with the little girl.

I'm slowly making it through Howl's Moving Castle and picked up Be Pure! Be Brave! Be Vigilant! by Pat Mills, about the founding of 2000AD and Judge Dredd.
  • Options
    I am on Dead Beat of the Dreseden files. I have been reading the books back to back as I get time to read. One of my favorite series I have ever read. I am going to re-read Ready Player One before the movie comes out, but for the most part, I will be reading the Dresden Files until I can get completely caught up on the series.
  • Options
    If you read and enjoyed Gaimans Norse Mythology, you’ll be sure to like Stephen Fry’s Mythos. Half way through and loving his retelling of Greek mythology.
  • Options
    Alice's Adventure in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - on the scale of books we have read at bedtime, this falls on the bottom end. I thought it was good, but the little girl really only liked parts.
    Current night reading Lafcadio by Uncle Shelby

Finished The Wizard of Earthsea. That was a really good book, after I finish Be Brave by Pat Mills I'm going to continue the story.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    luke52 said:

If you read and enjoyed Gaimans Norse Mythology, you’ll be sure to like Stephen Fry’s Mythos. Half way through and loving his retelling of Greek mythology.

Thanks for the Mythos shout out. Grew up reading (and reading, and reading, and reading) D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths - so I'm always looking out for new viewpoints/books on the subject.
  • Options
    Peter said:

luke52 said:

Thanks for the Mythos shout out. Grew up reading (and reading, and reading, and reading) D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths - so I'm always looking out for new viewpoints/books on the subject.
    I've worn out 3 paper back copies of The Greek mythology. Those spins just couldn't take the abuse.

I love D'Aulaires Norse mythology and my daughter loves the troll book.
  • Options
    chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    I'm reading the first Quarry book by Max Allan Collins.
    This year I want read more pulp characters like Doc Savage, Tarzan and John Carter.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Warbreaker - by Brandon Sanderson
  • Options
    BryanBryan Posts: 208
    chrisl said:

I'm reading the first Quarry book by Max Allan Collins.
    This year I want read more pulp characters like Doc Savage, Tarzan and John Carter.

Have you been reading the Quarry's War comic from Titan?

I know this is the novel thread, sorry. I've got such a backlog of comics I haven't picked up a novel in a while. Not sure what I'll read next.
  • Options
    chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    I read the first issue and really liked the story telling. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I just read Lungbarrow by Marc Platt.
    I had to settle for reading a pdf the book, which is not something I normally do or advocate. But considering how much the physical book retails for... uh, yeah.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0426205022/ref=tmm_pap_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Valkia the Bloody, a Warhammer fantasy book. Pretty good, and now I have to resist dropping money on a new army to paint.
  • Options
    Not strictly a novel, but currently reading Slugfest: Inside the epic 50-year battle between Marvel and DC. Not far through, but so far so good. Interesting read. If you liked or read Marvel: The Untold Story you’re sure to enjoy this too.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited February 2018
    I just finished Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate. I've been a fan of hers since Animorphs. She's always been an author who's pulled no punches with her children's literature and this is no exception.

The book is about a fifth grade boy named Jackson and his family's struggles as working class poor who are facing homelessness for the second time in their lives. Jackson's imaginary friend from years ago, a giant talking cat named Crenshaw, returns to help Jackson through these difficult times.

This book really resonated with me on many levels. I've been where Jackson has been (although the cars I've slept in were a little less roomy than his family's minivan, not to mention the fact that they didn't belong to me, but I digress). Also, the school district my wife teaches at has a lot of kids who bounce around between homes and shelters.

This is an honest and sincere novel that presents a very real problem in our country in a way that's easy for any person, regardless of age, to relate to and understand. It doesn't have a happy ending. In fact, it doesn't have an ending at all. That's refreshing to me. Life just goes on for the characters just like it has to for all of us. We, the readers, are simply allowed the privilege of getting to know them for a little while and hopefully learning something along the way.
  • Options
    Just finished Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts. It's a non-fiction piece focusing on the first ambassador to Germany after Hitler took power. It was an incredibly compelling read.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Just finished

The Incredibly Strange Film Book by Jonathan Ross

Was a fun read. Not much info I didn't already know. But was worth the few bucks it cost me.

• Options
    No on the latest offering for the Malazan books. Deadhouse Landing by Ian C Esslemont. I really dig the world building and mythos of all things Malazan. This time around it's prequel work building to the characters largely featured in the early books from Steve Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. On the surface, this one feels like things are tying together a bit too neatly, however, convergence seems to be a central theme for Esslemont and Erikson so it's consistent.
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    I just finished The Last Policeman by Ben H winters.. so good!! Book 1 of a trilogy about a cop who is trying to solve a murder even while a planet killer asteroid is hurtling towards the earth . A great noirish mystery with allot of existential crisis while people are coping with impending doom and the futility of work and daily life. Allot of humor , great dialogue and a snappy fast read -350 pages. I am most certainly gonna read the next 2 - but first i must start and finish the new Victor Lavalle novel The Changeling for my book club meeting in early april :) Oh and finally , I just picked up a book titled Renegades by Marissa Meyer ( author of the YA Vampire academy books - which i adored) this new one of hers is a superhero novel!! I will always read a genre superhero novel when i hear about one because they are few and far between in my searchings.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Bedtime reading with little people:
    Lafcadio by Uncle Shelby - a fun Shel Silverstein book and a must read.

Through the looking Glass and what Alice found there by Louis Carroll - it's a fun nonsense book that is very much not fun to read aloud. This felt like it took forever to get through. It has parts that are fantastic but difficult for a 4 year old to follow.

We just started Princess Bride S Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure abridged by William Goldman ;). I'm really excited to read this, and watch the movie with her.