Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    DAR said:

Tarkin by James Luceno

Have you finished it?

I tried..really tried to get into it but I found it boring..which isn't good for a SW book.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Yeah I did. It's no Darth Plagueis(seriously Lucasfilm make that canon). And apart from Tarkin Palpatine and Vader none of the other characters were real compelling. Because of them I liked it enough but it will be awhile before I go back to it.
  • Options
    As for what I'm going to read now, the Wheel of Time series starting with Eye of the World.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    DAR said:

As for what I'm going to read now, the Wheel of Time series starting with Eye of the World.

Whew. I love the wheel of time, but man those are some huge books.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited November 2016
    DAR said:

Oh boy! Good luck! j/k :)
    I know a lot of people really love the series but for me it lost it's luster around book 9(Winter's Heart).

The series is finished by Brandon Sanderson who writes one of my favorite series The Stormlight Archive. That alone has tempted me to go back and finish WoT.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

DAR said:

I know a lot of people really love the series but for me it lost it's luster around book 9(Winter's Heart).

The series is finished by Brandon Sanderson who writes one of my favorite series The Stormlight Archive. That alone has tempted me to go back and finish WoT.

I never finished the series. I have all the books, but halfway through book 11 I realized I was lost.

I think I need a 400-500 page abridged versions of the first 9 novels. Then I could pick up 10-14.
    Looking at Wikipedia it says there are 10,000 pages (i have hardbacks) and 4.4 million words. One day I'm going to read them again and finish the story. Maybe make a map of each book to help me remember what happens.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Mr_Cosmic said:

DAR said:

I lost heart around Crown of Swords/Path of Daggers and started taking the books one at a time. Winters Heart, as I recall, left me pretty satisfied because of a monumental event within the book. The Sandersen books were a real uptick in quality from most everything post Lord of Chaos.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    hauberk said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

DAR said:

I lost heart around Crown of Swords/Path of Daggers and started taking the books one at a time. Winters Heart, as I recall, left me pretty satisfied because of a monumental event within the book. The Sandersen books were a real uptick in quality from most everything post Lord of Chaos.
    Was Winters Heart Perrin's big battle? Nevermind looked it up and rememberedish what happened.
  • Options
    Finished the first two short stories and in Crusade's End. The land battle was really good, but there is a lot of gobbledygook in the space battle.
  • Options
    That is my one worry about WoT hearing that it starts out strong but then peters out for a bit
  • Options
    Catalyst: A Rogue One novel. I was excited for Rogue One. After reading this I'm really excited.
  • Options
    Saltwater Fly Fishing by Joe Brooks.

Here's an interesting book originally published in 1950 by Joe Brooks. This is the first book on saltwater Fly fishing, and what makes it really neat is that it gives a historical view of the sport. Joe Books was a longtime reporter/editor for numerous outdoor publications and outdoor sections of newspaper (like the Baltimore Sun and Miami Herald, the 40s and 50s were a different time), and he along with a handful of anglers really created modern saltwater fly fishing.

There are lots of "fish" stories and Brooks is always willing to tell the story about the one that got away. So this book is what happens when you combine a good fisherman with a good newspaper writer.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mwhitt80 said:

@WetRats have you read Razor Girl by Hiaasen yet?
    Cause I just finished it and really liked the book.
    Also you suck because I've read books while you were gone that I desperately wanted to discuss with you in your absence.

Reading it now!
  • Options
    Illium by Dan Simmons. He writes the most intriguing far-future fiction I've ever read. Throw in the pantheon of Greek gods (yes, THOSE Greek gods), and you've got yourself one hell of a mindblowing tale.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

Also you suck because I've read books while you were gone that I desperately wanted to discuss with you in your absence.

Reading it now!
    I was wondering if you just left again without discussing this book.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

Reading it now!
    Nope. Not gone. Just busy and not having a lot to say at the moment.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

Reading it now!
    Nope. Not gone. Just busy and not having a lot to say at the moment.
    Just finished. Maybe my favorite yet.

And I really liked the previous one, too.

Hiaasen really helps fill the void Elmore Leonard left.

Ain't nobody gonna fill the Pratchett-shaped hole, though.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Shoe Dog by Phil Knight.
    Man you forget that at one time Nike wasn't even on the map of shoes.

Just finished. It was great.
  • Options
    Got a fair amount of reading done since I last posted:

Wrapped up the Dragonlance: Lost Chronicles trilogy. Not nearly as satisfying as the original Chronicles, but a nice opportunity to revisit Krynn. I tried to the best of my ability to insert the original Chronicles in appropriate chronological order. In some cases, it stood up, in others, it seemed to create conflicts that would have been much less obvious in a more conventional reading order. I've managed to end up with a bunch of the other novels somehow, so I'll probably delve into them at some point in the future. One major thing of note is just how species-ist D&D novels, and especially Dragonlance novels are. There's the constant pograms against goblins and orcs that are natural to most fantasy book series, but here, you also have the Kender, a mostly good race, constantly being discriminated against.

Also burnt through the David Drake Northworld Trilogy. I'd read these before, but found them as a free e-book, which is convenient for both boring staff meetings and long rides/flights and hadn't read them in years. Drake has always impressed my in his military scifi works for how well he depicts and action sequence while at the same time expressing a level of humanity, horror and scarring that comes from that action. This time he does it in a sort of cross genre telling that pulls a great deal from the Norse shield poems.

Finally, just wrapped the latest installment in the Wild Cards universe. Volume XXV - High Stakes, completes the Fort Freak cycle. I continue to love the world of the Wild Cards, but continue to miss some of my favorite characters and contributing authors. They've done a nice job inducting newer authors into the consortium and continue to produce some really compelling characters. Unfortunately, they also continue to produce some less than compelling characters... none so uncompelling as Bagabond, or so many of the characters and events introduced in Aces Abroad, but still. This time around, we got to witness the resolution to the story of one of the fixtures of the Wild Card universe. It was satisfying and, I suppose poetic in a way. They can continue to deal me in on this series.
  • Options
    Reading Update:

The House at Pooh Corner by A.A. Miline - in which Tigger comes to the woods, piglet becomes a hero, Christopher Robin grows up.
    Maybe it has just been that this past year has been tough on my family, but man i almost cried during the last chapter.

Mary Poppins Comes Back by PL Travers - it has some good moments and retained most of the charm of the first novel.

• Options
    Current reading with the 3 year old.

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren - This book has been so much fun for us to read. Every chapter is a new adventure involving Pippi and her two friends. I did make the executive decision not to read the part about her mother dying before she was born.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Just finished American Gods from Gaiman. Loved it. Onto the tie in novellas next. Then I think at 32 it's time I overcame my fear of clowns and finally read It. The fear was actually induced by watching the show too young. That storm drain still creeps me out!!
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Just finished American Gods from Gaiman. Loved it. Onto the tie in novellas next. Then I think at 32 it's time I overcame my fear of clowns and finally read It. The fear was actually induced by watching the show too young. That storm drain still creeps me out!!

Novellas?

I know of one short story and Anansi Boys. Did I miss some?
  • Options
    Just wrapped up the latest offering from James SA Corey's Expanse - Babylon's Ashes.

It filled a nice gap as I've waited for Season 2 of the tv adaptation.

It moved the story along nicely, continued to bring us favorite characters and is evolving the world conditions nicely.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

luke52 said:

Novellas?

Maybe, along with Anansi Boys there are two short novellas. First is, The Monach of the Glen, set a year or two after American Gods. The second is Black Dog set a year after Monach. Just finished both, well worth a read if you enjoyed American Gods.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    luke52 said:

WetRats said:

luke52 said:

Novellas?

Maybe, along with Anansi Boys there are two short novellas. First is, The Monach of the Glen, set a year or two after American Gods. The second is Black Dog set a year after Monach. Just finished both, well worth a read if you enjoyed American Gods.
    Monach (Monarch?) of the Glen was the one in one of the Legends anthologies, right?

Where was the other?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

luke52 said:

WetRats said:

luke52 said:

Novellas?

Monach (Monarch?) of the Glen was the one in one of the Legends anthologies, right?

Where was the other?
    Yeah, Monarch, typo, my bad. Not sure where it's collected tbh. It was in my version of American Gods, along with some other extras.

Black Dog can be found in the Trigger Warning short story collection.
  • Options
  • Options
    Wind in the Willows illustrated by David Peterson.
    This came in yesterday from Amazon and we strated it last night with Abigail.
  • Options
    Just ripped through The Secret History of Twin Peaks.

It was ... interesting.

A little frustrating in that it could have been a lot better. (Appropriately enough)