Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: X-Men Days of Future Past (Now with SPOILERS)

Yup... apparently, Twentieth Century Fox have secured Days of Future Past with the MPAA Title Registration Bureau

Whether this would be the First Class sequel or something completely different, I guess we'll find out.

Comments

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    If it happens (big if), it would have to be drastically altered from the "Days of Future Past" story line that I remember from those x-men issues (#141 -142) in order to work as a self-contained movie. However, we might finally get some kick-ass giant sentinels on the big screen.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    While it could be interesting, I remain skeptical that it could be pulled off.
  • Options
    comsorrelscomsorrels Posts: 10
    i agree with doctordoom. this is a cool idea, but pulling it off cpuld be tricky. is the average moviegoewr ready for x-men alternate timelines? that opens up a whole new can of worms.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I'm game. Especially after X-Men: First Class, which I think is the best X-Men movie yet, and one of the better superhero movies overall. Hopefully some of the same people overseeing that one are in charge of what comes next.

Before the success of Lost I might have worried that audiences would not be up for stories about multiple timelines, but not any more. If you can make that ask of the network TV audience, you can definitely ask it of people paying to see a superhero movie. In fact, that moviegoing audience has likely encountered the concept several times by now, between shows like Lost, movies like the most recent Star Trek, and even video games.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    i agree with doctordoom. this is a cool idea, but pulling it off cpuld be tricky. is the average moviegoewr ready for x-men alternate timelines? that opens up a whole new can of worms.
    Why not? The current Star Trek movies are based around an alternate timeline. The entire Terminator franchise has been playing with this for nearly 30 years.
  • Options
    I think this would be more of a starting point for a new story rather than trying to shoehorn in movie continuity into comics continuity. More of an original story with dofp as a springboard.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Hopefully if they do "Days of Future Past" they will leave in the scene where the Sentinels kill Logan. I pay extra to see that.... [-O<
  • Options
    Hopefully if they do "Days of Future Past" they will leave in the scene where the Sentinels kill Logan. I pay extra to see that.... [-O<
    Hell, I love it in the comics when they remake that scene.

• Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    I read they're going to tie into the Kennedy Assassination, with that as the moment that can cause a parallel world. Terrific idea, I'd say.
  • Options
    I read they're going to tie into the Kennedy Assassination, with that as the moment that can cause a parallel world. Terrific idea, I'd say.
    I find that to be interesting.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I don't see how that's supposed to work. They can't prevent the assassination, because that would shove all the other stories into a parallel universe. So I guess they have to stop it being blamed on mutants? Will Oswald be a patsy for Magneto? Will Ruby really be a disguised Mystique? Hmmmm...
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    My problem with translating "Days of Future Past" onto the screen is that so much of the emotional impact in the issues hinges on understanding who Kitty Pryde is. Aside from a couple of minutes screen time in that crap 3rd X-men flick, movie-goers have no concept of who she is!
  • Options
    My problem with translating "Days of Future Past" onto the screen is that so much of the emotional impact in the issues hinges on understanding who Kitty Pryde is. Aside from a couple of minutes screen time in that crap 3rd X-men flick, movie-goers have no concept of who she is!
    Heck. At the time of DoFP, WE barely knew who Kitty was. It was only a year after her introduction.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    There's no major rule that says it has to be Kitty who timejumps, either. Sure, you'll have the teeth-gnashing of the fanboy elite who will demand it, but really her role in that whole thing was to bear witness a la Scrooge. This is something that may come to pass if you don't do something about it. You can send anyone up for that one.

You really can't do Kitty anymore anyhow....as she was in X3 which I'm presuming is in the same continuity/timeline as First Class, she'd be a zygote! :)

You do, however, have to have Jackman as Logan getting fried by a Sentinel. That's a must. :)

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    If the "future" part of the story takes place in our present, this could be a way to tie the First Class movies in to the original three movies. And of course any actors that they can't cast in the movie conveniently were killed by Sentinels.
  • Options

You do, however, have to have Jackman as Logan getting fried by a Sentinel. That's a must. :)

After-credits scene will have the adamantium skeleton turn and wink to the camera.

For some reason, my girlfriend found that to be hilarious.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    There's no major rule that says it has to be Kitty who timejumps, either. Sure, you'll have the teeth-gnashing of the fanboy elite who will demand it, but really her role in that whole thing was to bear witness a la Scrooge. This is something that may come to pass if you don't do something about it. You can send anyone up for that one.
    True. Kitty doesn't have to play a part in this story. X-Men: TAS did it and Kitty wasn't even in that series. They used Bishop instead, and folded pieces of his origin into their version. The entire first (and only season) of Wolverine and the X-Men was based on Days of Future Past, with Xavier taking on Kitty's role.
  • Options
  • Options
    If the "future" part of the story takes place in our present, this could be a way to tie the First Class movies in to the original three movies. And of course any actors that they can't cast in the movie conveniently were killed by Sentinels.
    That's not a bad idea at all!
  • Options
    Bryan Singer confirms the return of Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen.

Twitter
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    tazmaniak said:

Bryan Singer confirms the return of Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen.

Twitter

Great news!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Excited to see this one hopefully the Sentinels are done really well.
  • Options
    Hugh Jackman is reportedly in negotiations to appear in the film.

The Hollywood Reporter
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    This all sounds great. I think First Class was the best of the X-Men movies so far. Hopefully onward and upward.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Hopefully. I'm excited to see where they go...maybe negate the first trilogy with Days of Future Past? Making First Class the "prime" timeline...
  • Options
    Corwin said:

Hopefully. I'm excited to see where they go...maybe negate the first trilogy with Days of Future Past? Making First Class the "prime" timeline...

I'd be happy with them only negating "Last Stand" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". I ignore the Singer-less movies anyways.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I like all the x-men movies..... except I have a huge, huge, deep hatred for all of the various continuity errors that "First Class" caused. It makes it hard to watch the movie.

Maybe with the blending of the casts and the time bending Days of Future Past story it'll provide me with some kind of peace regarding all the inconsistancies in the movie universe.
  • Options
    ^Here's the thing, there actually were no continuity errors or inconsistencies in First Class. If you listen to or read all the interviews with the people behind the movie, they don't ever refer to it as a direct prequel. They actually go out of there way to not say it is.

There's an interview with Bryan Singer and Matthew Vaughn where they talked about taking elements from the original films and making a movie that could stand on it's own.

There's also an interview with Jane Goldman where she says she wrote First Class as an alternate story from the original films. It was a way to reboot the franchise, while keeping some of the elements of the original films so as to not completely go against Singer's vision. She likened it to how comic book companies have handled reboots. Like DC after the first Crisis and other "reboots". They didn't make up completely new stories and origins each time, but kept some of the best aspects of the previous incarnations and weaved them into the new canon. That's what they did here. She even used the word "reimagining".

They blatantly told us the movies are not in the same timeline. So, there are no continuity errors because it's not part of the same continuity. It's not a prequel, it's a reboot. Now, it may be considered a soft reboot, but it is a reboot.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

^Here's the thing, there actually were no continuity errors or inconsistencies in First Class. If you listen to or read all the interviews with the people behind the movie, they don't ever refer to it as a direct prequel. They actually go out of there way to not say it is.

There's an interview with Bryan Singer and Matthew Vaughn where they talked about taking elements from the original films and making a movie that could stand on it's own.

There's also an interview with Jane Goldman where she says she wrote First Class as an alternate story from the original films. It was a way to reboot the franchise, while keeping some of the elements of the original films so as to not completely go against Singer's vision. She likened it to how comic book companies have handled reboots. Like DC after the first Crisis and other "reboots". They didn't make up completely new stories and origins each time, but kept some of the best aspects of the previous incarnations and weaved them into the new canon. That's what they did here. She even used the word "reimagining".

They blatantly told us the movies are not in the same timeline. So, there are no continuity errors because it's not part of the same continuity. It's not a prequel, it's a reboot. Now, it may be considered a soft reboot, but it is a reboot.

Indeed. But I could see how some people might be confused with how the film may have been advertised. (As a prequel or set in that continuity)

Kind of like how Avi Arad and some promos touted The Amazing Spider-Man as a movie that could fit into the Raimi timeline.