Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615

My parents caught the coronavirus back in July and they were exhausted for about 2 weeks. Dad had it worse than Mom but they are doing well now.

I had a good friend who was 41 that died 2 weeks ago from heart related complications due to the virus. He was in great shape, worked out all the time, coached football, but just got dealt a bad heart (Heath's dad died from a heart attack when he was 41 also).

The virus is weird my mom had valve replacement surgery 18 months ago, has breathing problems, high blood pressure and is overweight. She gets the virus and it's like an annoying cold. Heath is 41 year old guy in great shape and it kills him. Just strange how it affects different people

• Options

On a brighter front my son Samuel is about to turn 3 on Friday. We are doing a small grandparents get together on Saturday. No cousins this year

He is all boy and loves his sister.

• Options

Best kickstarter day ever!

Today I got Rob Liefelds Brigade! It was the 3rd item I ever backed on kickstarter way back on June 15, 2013. It was projected to be shipped in January of 2014! The delay only makes it more extreme!

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    So back about a week ago I wrote a long piece for my blog on how I discovered Peter Bagge's comics back when I was 12. And just talked a bit about all the great series he had created. Focusing mostly on Neat Stuff,Hate and YEAH!.

Tweeted out the link. Today discovered Peter Bagge saw the tweet,read the piece and retweeted it!!

I haven't been this happy and excited since I met Jack Kirby back hell almost 35 years ago.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Best kickstarter day ever!

Today I got Rob Liefelds Brigade! It was the 3rd item I ever backed on kickstarter way back on June 15, 2013. It was projected to be shipped in January of 2014! The delay only makes it more extreme!

How was it? I've been slowly digging out of cheap bins everything Liefeld and Extreme produced.

• Options

@dubbat138

I just really started reading peter bagge last year with collections of his buddy bradley work.

I have not read. the new brigade, but it's funny that you say you are getting all liefelds extreme studio books because I did that about 7/8 years ago. I've read a little over half of it; Rob did a lot of books.

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

@dubbat138

I just really started reading peter bagge last year with collections of his buddy bradley work.

I have not read. the new brigade, but it's funny that you say you are getting all liefelds extreme studio books because I did that about 7/8 years ago. I've read a little over half of it; Rob did a lot of books.

Extreme put out a huge amount of books. Oddly most of them have decent premises just end up badly written and/or with wonky art.

• Options
    edited December 2020

Boys I enjoyed it on the zoom

We actually might need to forum regular zoom/google Hangout.

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Boys I enjoyed it on the zoom

We actually might need to forum regular zoom/google Hangout.

I'd be down with that.
  • Options

Alright, boys let's get us a google Hangout schedule. I don't know how to do that stuff, but I would like to get semi regularly if that's alright.

• Options
    What days/times work best for interested folks? Evenings after 9pm for me, preferably not Wednesdays or Thursdays, but I can be somewhat flexible on that.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I'm pretty much good at any time except Wednesdays (when I usually record my comic review show) & Sundays.
  • Options

I can't do Wednesday. I have a weekly Hangout with my friends from tallahassee.

What about second Tuesday of the month at 930?

• Options
    edited December 2020

Now it's time for the yearly question. What omnibus do I get with some of my Christmas cash?

Do I get john byrne's she hulk?

Or maybe go with the disney masters collection box sets volumes 9&10 and volumes 11&12? These contain some mickey & goofy stories and non Carl barks donald stories

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I can't do Wednesday. I have a weekly Hangout with my friends from tallahassee.

What about second Tuesday of the month at 930?

That should work for me.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Now it's time for the yearly question. What omnibus do I get with some of my Christmas cash?

Do I get john byrne's she hulk?

Or maybe go with the disney masters collection box sets volumes 9&10 and volumes 11&12? These contain some mickey & goofy stories and non Carl barks donald stories

Hmmm, those Disney books seem to be completely entirely made up of original European-created content. With my limited knowledge of the Euro Disney comics, the best of the Italian creators was Romano Scarpa, and the best of the Belgian creators is Daan Jippes, neither of whom appear in the volumes you listed. But the guys who are in these volumes are highly praised by people who would know better than me.

And Byrne's She-Hulk is Byrne’s She-Hulk.

Personally, I'd go for the undiscovered territory rather than retread the known and experienced quantity.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Here's my little holiday haul...Other than the digital ones I got on Comixology.

• Options

I went with undiscovered country of disney.

@RedRight88 I like it. Those are some good comics

• Options

So @nweathington I have to task you with setting up the how.

I use computers and the web every day, but if it's not one of the 10 or so accounting softwares I have to know I quit trying.

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

So @nweathington I have to task you with setting up the how.

I use computers and the web every day, but if it's not one of the 10 or so accounting softwares I have to know I quit trying.

I guess a Google Meet would probably be the easiest? Pretty much everyone has a Google account, yeah? And it allows up to 100 people at a time, which should be more than plenty. I haven't used it in a while, as it wasn't the most stable way of video chatting at the time, but we can give it a shot and see how it goes. Probably easiest if I just post a link to the Meet on the day of the event. I'll make a new thread for it at that time. Sound good?
  • Options
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited January 2021
    Found out just after the hardware stores closed tonight that I have a leaking pipe under the house. It's just the little 1/4" pipe leading to the pressure gauge, but it rusted through and has to be replaced before I can turn the water pump back on, because it's before the shutoff valve. That's just typical home maintenance you have to deal with when you own a house, of course. The weird part is that three out of the four times I've had to go without water because of a plumbing problem have been during the Christmas/New Year's holidays—once on Christmas Eve (leaking air bladder), once on Christmas Day (pressure switch went bad), and now this.
  • Options

That stinks. I hate plumbing issues and not having water is awful. We're on a well and lose water when we lose power.

I hope you get it taken care of quickly today.

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

That stinks. I hate plumbing issues and not having water is awful. We're on a well and lose water when we lose power.

I hope you get it taken care of quickly today.

Yeah, it didn't go as smoothly as I'd expected. When I was removing the 1/4" pipe from the fitting, about half of the threading came with it, ruining that pipe as well. Of course that fitting is part of the T-junction that connects the well pump with the pressure gauge and switcher, the bladder, and the house. Had to call in a plumber to replace that. Too many connections for me to feel comfortable handling on my own.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Did you get it all taken care of?

Are you working on anything interesting with work?

Hey what tomorrow's book should I get now that I am rolling around in my covid check monies

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, plumber came out around 4:30 yesterday, and 45 minutes later we were all good. Except that a $10 fix turned into a $340 fix. That's how it goes sometimes.

Things are moving forward on a book I've been trying to get out for several years now, but other than that, things are kind of slow and cautious at the moment.

Well, the Carmine Infantino book is getting close to selling out, as is the Alan Davis book. If you have any interest in those, you'll probably want to get them soon. Other than that, just between you and me, check in on the Modern Masters books in a couple of days.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Clearance sale has now started. Get 'em while they last.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Take my money.

JrJr

Ron Garvey

Gerry Ordway

Charles Vess

Kevin Maguire

Mike Allred

I would have never thought I would be a guy that was really interested in reading the modern master books, but after I got the first two I became hooked

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I would have never thought I would be a guy that was really interested in reading the modern master books, but after I got the first two I became hooked

There’s no higher praise than that. Thanks, Matthew!
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I didn't hurt that you told me to get the guy davis mm and I picked Mark Shultz.

So the big to do around the mwhitt house was my baby girl turned 7. It does not feel like I was bragging about her on the forums 7 years ago.