Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What's The Best Comic You Never Hear Anyone Talking About?

Comments

• Options
    Probably one of the most accessible books for both kids and adults...the 'Asterix the Gaul' books. Really hilarious stuff. Huge in Europe but alas...not over here.
    No one reads that weirdo euro crap. Lol
    How about ultimate iron man. That was decent.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Can't say it's the best - since I haven't read it yet - but it has been discussed in the German news media today:

Photobucket

Haven't heard any of you geeks talk about it yet though ;)
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Probably one of the most accessible books for both kids and adults...the 'Asterix the Gaul' books. Really hilarious stuff. Huge in Europe but alas...not over here.

I have wanted to try out some Asterix and Lucky Luke comics. But have never seen any of them anywhere. Was Ultimate Iron Man the mini written by Orson Scott Card? If so that is a reason why I won't read it. Card is a good writer but I won't read his stuff cause I don't agree with a bunch of his views on various stuff.

• Options
    Can't say it's the best - since I haven't read it yet - but it has been discussed in the German news media today:

Photobucket

Captain China needs to team up with Atomeka.

• Options
    TheZoloTheZolo Posts: 27
    edited June 2012
    My vote is Jack Staff by Paul Grist... Paul wanted to write Union Jack for Marvel... They said NO... He created Jack Staff "Britain's Greatest Hero" instead! Read more about it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Staff

• Options

Photobucket

This would only be relevant if he were gay
  • Options
    My vote is Jack Staff by Paul Grist... Paul wanted to write Union Jack for Marvel... They said NO... He created Jack Staff "Britain's Greatest Hero" instead! Read more about it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Staff

I love Paul Grist's work and will have to check Jack Staff out.
  • Options
    TheZoloTheZolo Posts: 27
    @dubbat138 I love Paul Grist too.. I've found people either LOVE or HATE him, but that's how I like my artists.. middle of the road is boring! He also did a cool little story in Captain America #616 (70th Anniversary Issue) .. Still need to check out Mudman!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited June 2012

Photobucket

Everybody loves the Mauser. Coolest pistol ever!

Come to think of it.. this cover is a Dave Stevens Rocketeer swipe/homage.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I love Paul Grist's work and will have to check Jack Staff out.
    Unfortunately, Jack Staff—one of my favorites—has ended due to low sales. Mudman is doing better, at least for now, and if you love Grist’s stuff, you’ll love Mudman. His pacing isn’t as quirky as usual, but it moves along nicely. Mudman is a Spider-Man type of hero—young kid gets super-powers and has to learn how to handle them—only he’s British, and instead of being bitten by a radioactive spider, he’s sucked into supernatural... mud. It’s better than it sounds, I promise.
  • Options
    I haven't read nearly enough Paul Grist.

His design sense is amazing -- he makes such strong, simple, gorgeous pages!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

I knew a Qubecquoi (is that how you spell that?) missionary in Africa who loved Asterix and Obelix. He read them to his kids as bed time stories. But that is the only time I've come across them.

I loved Ultimate Iron man and until Fractions run that was the only iteration of Iron Man I had read more than an odd issue here or there.
  • Options

I have wanted to try out some Asterix and Lucky Luke comics. But have never seen any of them anywhere. Was Ultimate Iron Man the mini written by Orson Scott Card? If so that is a reason why I won't read it. Card is a good writer but I won't read his stuff cause I don't agree with a bunch of his views on various stuff.

I like Card. I remember his analysis of the gulf war on his hatrack river site was shockingly insightful. Although my faith was slightly shalen when he said The Avengers was unrealistic. An accusation i have a hard time accepting when aimed at a comic book movie. And of course Ender's Game is one of the best books put out in the last 50 years. Please, tell me be said something really controversial that was offensive and not that you don't like Him because he's Mormon.
  • Options

I like Card. I remember his analysis of the gulf war on his hatrack river site was shockingly insightful. Although my faith was slightly shalen when he said The Avengers was unrealistic. An accusation i have a hard time accepting when aimed at a comic book movie. And of course Ender's Game is one of the best books put out in the last 50 years. Please, tell me be said something really controversial that was offensive and not that you don't like Him because he's Mormon.
    Nah it ain't cause he is a Mormon. It is cause of some comments he made about homosexuals a few years back.

• Options
    Nah it ain't cause he is a Mormon. It is cause of some comments he made about homosexuals a few years back.

Fair enough.
  • Options

Fair enough.

I have close friends that are Mormons and I have no problems with them. I just have a problem with people that claim to follow Jesus's teaching then forget the one basic rule Jesus had. He wanted you to love everyone no matter what.

• Options

Fair enough.
    I have close friends that are Mormons and I have no problems with them. I just have a problem with people that claim to follow Jesus's teaching then forget the one basic rule Jesus had. He wanted you to love everyone no matter what.

I can get down with that. Love one another. Love your friends, love your neighbors, love your enemies. Stick with that and everything else is cream cheese. (honestly, figuring out what it means to love your enemy, an neighbor and friends is probably a lifetimes worth of contemplation and work. I mean, what does that look like every day?)
  • Options
    kevinvolokevinvolo Posts: 70
    I'm digging the Defenders right now, not sure its getting much press
  • Options
    Caliban said:

The Ballad of Halo Jones

I've sent so many copies to the US I must be the main exporter by now.

Hell, if I'd known you were just sending them over I wouldn't have BOUGHT it!

And yes, an excellent book that more people should have read...

If only Mr Moore would finish the story! Not knowing what happens is just torturous.
  • Options
    Nemesis the warlock. Alien fighting the Spanish inquisition in the future with some of the most whacked out stories and challenging art you will ever see! Great stuff!!!
  • Options
    poisonelf1poisonelf1 Posts: 40
    The One by Rick Veitch
    This came out from epic before
    Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns
    Its a take on superheroes in the real world with some metaphysical stuff thrown in
    I've always loved this story and the covers. You can find the trade around.

Also I live in a French community here in Manitoba so growing up our school library had all the french books I got to read a lot of theTin tin, lucky Luke, asterix and obelix and the smurfs( schtroumpfs in French) that was in the early eighties
    They are such fun books
  • Options
    Marshal law!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Star Wars: Invasion has been excellent and has really flown under the radar, much the same as how Star Wars: Legacy did. Licenced comics are so often bad and these SW titles from Dark Horse buck the trend and are deserving of a much bigger audience.
  • Options
    Legacy was the last sw title I read. I gave up towards the end.
    I think dark horse is making some quality sw books but I have no interest in the old republic (it makes no sense to me) and I detest the multiple Sith lord concept. There is one master and one apprentice. That's it. Not armies of Sith. Sheesh
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    Nemesis the warlock. Alien fighting the Spanish inquisition in the future with some of the most whacked out stories and challenging art you will ever see! Great stuff!!!
    Dude!!! Ya gotta buy the 'Complete Nemesis' from Amazon.co.uk...seriously amazing stuff and has a definitive ending to Nemesis and Torquemada. Nemesis is not the all so good guy you think...he's a bit of a shit. Not on the same scale as Torquemada...but still an asshole. Purity Brown is the series redeemable characer.
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    Marshal law!!!!!!!
    Hell yeah!!!! They're printing an Omnibus of it next year. I interviewed Pat Mills on the 2000ad Podcast. (it's becoming a regular interview for me and Mr. Mills). The guy is amazing and probably one of the most important creators in UK comic book history.

You can check it out here...he talks about Marshall Law too.
    A Conversation with Pat Mills
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Nevermind I am an idiot!

• Options
    Dude!!! Ya gotta buy the 'Complete Nemesis' from Amazon.co.uk...seriously amazing stuff and has a definitive ending to Nemesis and Torquemada. Nemesis is not the all so good guy you think...he's a bit of a shit. Not on the same scale as Torquemada...but still an asshole. Purity Brown is the series redeemable characer.
    I have the first two volumes
  • Options
    VKMarionVKMarion Posts: 37
    Batman : The Dark Knight - The story has been a fun action ride, and the Dave Finch Art is Killer. Not to mention all the DCU guest stars, that pop up. With Gregg Hurwitz coming on as the writer (issue 10?) should get even better.

Also the new Ninja Turtles series from IDW. Its been a really cool modern take.
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    Totally agree with this,o'Neil and Talbot
    are brilliant .