Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What's The Best Comic You Never Hear Anyone Talking About?

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    The Stuff of Legend. Just picked up the third collection today. Good stuff, pun intended.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    For myself there are a couple books that I think are great but don't get mentioned much.

DC
    I,Vampire
    Nightwing
    Justice League Dark
    Superboy

Marvel

Avengers Academy
    Thunderbolts
    Herc
    Journey Into Mystery

Prophet
    Green Wake
    Blue Harvest
    Skullkickers
    Orc Stain
    Darkness

Others

The Sixth Gun
    Resurrection
    Executive Assistant
    Atomic Robo
    Your Marvel selection, I couldn't agree more with. Sad that Herc was cancelled.

I'm going to have to check out some of your others here, since we seem to like some of the same ones.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    This will get a few eye rolls but I think Fear Itself: The Fearless is a great series that I never hear anybody mention.
    I'm with you, pal.
  • Options
    For my own picks... Thunderbolts, Avengers Academy, and Cobra.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    The Stuff of Legend. Just picked up the third collection today. Good stuff, pun intended.
    I was just about to type that.
    I couldn't think of a good comic, but last night my wife told me she wanted stuff of legend vol 3. My wife will read exactly 2 comics Mouse Guard and Stuff of Legend. I'm not sure I've ever heard people talk about SoL. I really like the series.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I've only read the first trade for Stuff of Legend, I need to get caught up 'cause it is good.

I'm holding off on Mouse Guard not by choice, ordered the hardcovers form Instock, got the box only to find that the first one is on backorder.

Lady Mechanika is another good one with what little is out there and just like Nonplayer, you better have some patience for new issues.

Now that I have Victorian steampunky goodness lodged in my brain, how about the best comic that hasn't happened yet? I'm still waiting for Privateer Press to finally get a Warmachine/Hordes/Iron Kingdoms book out there. It was talked about years ago, there was even teaser art and even some preview pages so... where the hell is it?
  • Options
    JoeSergiJoeSergi Posts: 78
    Sinbad from Xenoscope. Fun sword and sorcery swashbuckling.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    The Dark Horse Conan series is a lot of fun. I'll put that on this list.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I'm not sure I've ever heard people talk about SoL. I really like the series.
    Exactly. I think it was mentioned once in a CGS Previews episode, and I think there was a little article on Newsarama when it launched, but outside of that I’ve seen or heard no mention of it at all.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    The couple that does the Awesomed By Comics podcast loved Stuff of Legend when it was first coming out. They may still, I haven't listened in a while, but they used to talk this book up in a big way.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Just downloaded the first issue of The Stuff of Legend for free from comixology
  • Options
    Free!? Downloading now. :D
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216

Exactly. I think it was mentioned once in a CGS Previews episode, and I think there was a little article on Newsarama when it launched, but outside of that I’ve seen or heard no mention of it at all.
    Those guys attend pretty much every Wild Pig event and will be at the Super Wild Pig Show. Always worth checking out.

Bry
  • Options
    Loved the free issue - bought some more and now will join the cult of The Stuff of Legend :D

Thanks guys, for recommending this awesome book.
  • Options
    I'm going with Journey Into Mystery. It's the only keeping me getting The Mighty Thor. If it came out more often I might of said Lady Mechanica.
    oh! Lady Mechanika.... I told Mr. Benitiz (sp?) at last year's C2E2 that I will wait, he is worth it. Nice call>
    Really, is it good? I first saw Benitez on Justice League, and I was not impressed, but every time I see his covers in previews or on the shelf lately I thought he really has improved greatly, but it's hard to know what the interiors are like.
    As for what I think, like I said several times on the old forum, Finder by Carla Speed McNeill. I will not rest until everyone has at least tried it.
  • Options
    WoodWood Posts: 19
    Great choices so far, might I throw into the mix...

King City by Brandon Graham
    Wasteland by Antony Johnston and Chris Mitten
    Orc Stain by James Stokoe
    Sonic the Hedgehog by a variety of contributors
  • Options
    chrisruggiachrisruggia Posts: 40
    edited March 2012
    I really loved Three Shadows from First Second by Cyril Pedrosa - I bought it on sight at a Barnes & Noble and I've almost never heard anyone mention it. The art is really loose and inventive, and it blows me away every time I look at it.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Great choices so far, might I throw into the mix...

King City by Brandon Graham
    Wasteland by Antony Johnston and Chris Mitten
    Orc Stain by James Stokoe
    Sonic the Hedgehog by a variety of contributors
    I keep meaning to check out King City and Orc Stain. Thanks for the reminder. I need to add those to my list. Are there trades yet? If so, I might be able to get them through the library.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I really loved Three Shadows from First Second by Cyril Pedrosa - I bought it on sight at a Barnes & Noble and I've almost never heard anyone mention it. The art is really loose and inventive, and it blows me away every time I look at it.
    ^:)^

Good taste. That book is a gem. 2008 it won the great price at Angouleme and many other places. Pedrosa is a master....and a very nice guy. Met him once at a book signing. He's considered to be one of the greatest living comic artists in Europe.

Visit his blog and check out the awesome sketch books (and don't be scared by the French...)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hell yeah.

I'll read it on my gf's kindle!

Soon the iPad will be mine!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Yeah!

Sure it is old,but it seems no one even remembers it. How can you beat an all ages book written by Peter Bagge.
  • Options

Good taste. That book is a gem. 2008 it won the great price at Angouleme and many other places. Pedrosa is a master....and a very nice guy. Met him once at a book signing. He's considered to be one of the greatest living comic artists in Europe.

Visit his blog and check out the awesome sketch books (and don't be scared by the French...)
    When I was more active on livejournal I posted a sort of review of Three Shadows and the responses I got were all from UK cartoonists, underscoring the difference between Pedrosa's rep in the US vs Europe.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    edited March 2012
    I agree. This book is brilliant.

• Options
    Man-thing

Sure everyone makes jokes about Giant Sized Man-Thing,but at least teh Steve Gerber run is great. Well written stories with good artwork. Plus the artwork looks even better in b/w. So if you find the Essential for cheap pick it up.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Invincible Iron Man
  • Options
    Killraven

Another great but forgotten 70's Marvel series. Good writing plus some amazing P.Craig Russell artwork. I discovered Killraven through the deluxe OHOTMU and had wanted to read it for years. Then as soon as the Essential trade came out I had to get it. Ended up reading the entire thing during one long boring shift at my old job. Killraven is a great example of well written science fiction and in some ways reminds me of John Carter.
  • Options
    @dubbat138 - you had me with this
    Killraven is a great example of well written science fiction and in some ways reminds me of John Carter.
    Will look out for it now.

(this thread is a danger to my wallet...)
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    Critical Millennium
  • Options

(this thread is a danger to my wallet...)
    this forum and the podcasts associated with it always have been. Its their mutant/metahuman power.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I think Avengers Academy takes the cake for me. I have been in love with this book, except for when it double ships, not cool bro. Bu other then doubleshipping, it is an awesome book. This has been my fav Pym (granted I have only read new comics for 5 years, but still) and all the new kids are great, except Veil, she's a downer, but they took care of that problem. Mettle is a beast and any book I can see Butterball is a good book.