Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comics You Are Ashamed to Admit You Have Never Read

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    edited March 2012
    There's lots of stuff I want to read. Here are the ones I am ashamed that I haven't read yet:

Batman
    - Year One
    - A Death in the Family
    - The Killing Joke

Maus
    Daredevil: Born Again
    V for Vendetta
    Animal Man (Grant Morrison)

There may be more. Those are the first ones that come to mind.
    After you read Morrison's run on Animal Man give the rest of the series a try. I am sure @David_D will agree with me when I say that the non-Morrison stuff is as good if not better than the Morrison run. Plus I see the non-Morrison issues in the cheap bins all the time.
  • Options
    Only thing I can say I'm ashamed of is league of extraordinary gentleman... Because I actually own it and still havnt read it. I never read watchmen until the movie and I enjoyed the movie more. Not ashamed or embarassed by not having read other stuff.
    Up until last week I had never read LoEG. Saw the movie and didn't care for it ,but also knew that the comic was very different. Well I got the first trade cheap at Coast Con. Read it and while I loved the Kevin O'neil artwork,I found the story to be very average. And was overall disappointed in it. Now it might just be that I have been hearing people hype the series for years now. But to me it was average Alan Moore. And I would rank it below lots of other ALan Moore stuff that no one seems to ever talk about like say 1963 or his short story about Kool Aid man from one of the last few issues of Hate.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

After you read Morrison's run on Animal Man give the rest of the series a try. I am sure @David_D will agree with me when I say that the non-Morrison stuff is as good if not better than the Morrison run. Plus I see the non-Morrison issues in the cheap bins all the time.
    Definitely. I really enjoyed the Morrison run, but I liked Jamie Delano's work on the series even more. It has never been traded, but I collected it in cheap bins, and that may still be possible to do.
  • Options

Definitely. I really enjoyed the Morrison run, but I liked Jamie Delano's work on the series even more. It has never been traded, but I collected it in cheap bins, and that may still be possible to do.
    At Coast Con this year one of the dealers had 20 boxes of $1 comics. He was running a deal where if you spent 10 bucks the comics dropped to 50 cents,and the more you spent the cheaper they got. Looking through the boxes I saw an almost complete run of the non-Morrison Animal Man run. All of them bagged and boarded. Even though I already own a complete run I was very tempted to buy them. I really can't wait till my youngest son is old enough to read it. Back about 3 years ago I loaned my run out to my oldest son and he liked it so much he has been slowing tracking down the back issues.

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited March 2012
    I haven't read any of the DC Crisis events, again not ashamed about it. The only DC events I've read were Flashpoint and Blackest Night. Blackest Night was one of the reasons why I got back into comics, it certainly wasn't anything Marvel was putting out.

I still haven't finished reading my copies of Secret Wars because I was never able to find #8. I got #9 when that came out, I vowed not to read the rest of the series until I got that one missing issue. It's been so long now that's been off my mind and off the radar.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Secret Wars II
    Dark Knight Strikes Again
    Atlantis Attacks
    Marville
    Trouble
    Spider-Man: Sins Past
    One More Day
    Countdown
    Ultimates 3

....Oh, I read that wrong, I thought this was comics we were ashamed of reading. ;)

=))
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    edited March 2012
    I have to admit that I never read "Contract With God" or "Transmetropolitan"

Always wanted to but never got around to it. Every time I pass these on the shelves of my LCS I am tempted to buy them but for some reason I don't
  • Options
    I have to admit that I never read "Contract With God" or "Transmetropolitan"

Always wanted to but never got around to it. Every time I pass these on the shelves of my LCS I am tempted to buy them but for some reason I don't
    That reminds me I still need to read Transmet.

• Options
    Maus was the only one I ever felt guilty about not reading... it being the only comic book ever to have won a Pulitzer Prize, and all.

but I finally read it. And you should too ;)
  • Options
    Maus was the only one I ever felt guilty about not reading... it being the only comic book ever to have won a Pulitzer Prize, and all.

but I finally read it. And you should too ;)
    If you enjoyed Maus you should read "Barefoot Gen". I read the first volume last year and it is as good if not better than Maus.

• Options
    KoenKoen Posts: 11
    '100 Bullets' & 'Alias'. The reason why I'm ashamed is that it's gathering dust here for a few years and my to-read pile keeps growing. :@)
    I haven't read Hellblazer yet but that's more DC's fault. Some trades were out of print and some stories were never collected. Luckily they began collecting the older stuff again last year.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    . . .
    My problem with most of these is the expenditure, especially with a series like 'The Walking Dead' or 'Fables' where I'd be looking at a couple of hundred bucks to get into it.
    Hellblazer represents another problem as well; where the heck do I start?
    When was the last time you visited your friendly neighborhood public library? You might be pleasantly surprised by what you'll find.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Never Reads:
    Cerebus
    Scott Pilgram
    Blankets
    Invisibles
    Transmetropolitan
    Preacher
    Hellboy (but I've read a ton of BPRD!)
    Judge Dredd or any 2000A.D.
    Maus

I dont have any superhero holes, but all of the fringe/vertigo/indie great stuff has sat at the bottom of my "I should read this" pile for a long time...
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    OK. Here's one:

Castle Waiting
  • Options
    . . .
    My problem with most of these is the expenditure, especially with a series like 'The Walking Dead' or 'Fables' where I'd be looking at a couple of hundred bucks to get into it.
    Hellblazer represents another problem as well; where the heck do I start?
    When was the last time you visited your friendly neighborhood public library? You might be pleasantly surprised by what you'll find.

It is through Inter library loan that I have been reading the Hellblazer trades and some of the various Essentials and Showcase Presents I am interested in ,but not interested in enough to buy. My local Library only has 3 comics total. Blankets,which I hated and found to be massively over rated. Goodbye chunky rice,again hated it. And Box Office Poison,which i actually enjoyed.
  • Options
    With all the Moebius tributes floating around recently, I only just realized that I've never actually read any. Sure, I've seen and been inspired by a lot of single images, but now I'm inspired to look up some of the actual narratives.
  • Options
    KoenKoen Posts: 11
    edited March 2012
    I read The Incal two weeks ago and was dissapointed by the story. I can understand that the artwork & design was groundbreaking but the narrative was too complicated and confusing nonsense. Will try reading Blueberry in the near future.
  • Options
    With all the Moebius tributes floating around recently, I only just realized that I've never actually read any. Sure, I've seen and been inspired by a lot of single images, but now I'm inspired to look up some of the actual narratives.
    Oh you're in for a treat!

• Options
    '100 Bullets' & 'Alias'. The reason why I'm ashamed is that it's gathering dust here for a few years and my to-read pile keeps growing. :@)
    I haven't read Hellblazer yet but that's more DC's fault. Some trades were out of print and some stories were never collected. Luckily they began collecting the older stuff again last year.
    I loved ALias all the way until the final storyline. Then it went to crap. So far Alias is the only Marvel work from Bendis that I have enjoyed.

• Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I've actually been tackling just this lately. I have made a list of things I always wanted to read and haven't and knocking them out one at a time.

Hellboy - got all the library editions and working though it now
    Daredevil - Same, most of the books I've bought and am about to start
    Oz series - Same own the HCs just have to read em all
    Starman - Same own but never read past a few issues

Ones I want to read and don't own yet:

Y: TLM
    V For Vendetta
    Maus
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    100 Bullets

• Options
    FeedbackFeedback Posts: 31
    Mage, which I currently purchased the HC.
    I never finished Preacher or Sandman yet either.
  • Options
    I am so jealous of you getting to read this for the first time!

And inspired to dig it out re-read it for the zillionth time!
  • Options
    I am so jealous of you getting to read this for the first time!

And inspired to dig it out re-read it for the zillionth time!
    I gotta agree. I read Mage for the first time back when Image was reprinting the original series. And I still await the third series.

• Options
    I gotta agree. I read Mage for the first time back when Image was reprinting the original series. And I still await the third series.
    I do too, although I also kinda dread it, because it'll be the King Lear to The Hero Discovered's Hamlet and The Hero Defined's Macbeth, which means, Kevin Matchstick, Matt Wagner, and I will all be officially old.
  • Options
    I do too, although I also kinda dread it, because it'll be the King Lear to The Hero Discovered's Hamlet and The Hero Defined's Macbeth, which means, Kevin Matchstick, Matt Wagner, and I will all be officially old.

Great way of putting it brah.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    OK. Here's one:

Castle Waiting
    That's a good'un. Now you have me wanting to dig it out and give it a re-read...
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I've been trying to read all the "classics" recently, here is what I'm still missing:

Starman (own all the Omniboo)
    Sandman
    Fables
    Maus
    All Star Superman
    Aquaman (the golden age issues)
  • Options
    Oh you're in for a treat!

Any suggestions on the best place to start, and what editions to look for?

Blueberry? Airtight Garage?

Thanks!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth.

I can't get past the first few pages of text and art.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I
    Any suggestions on the best place to start, and what editions to look for?

Blueberry? Airtight Garage?

Thanks!
    I would always recommend Blueberry (I love western comics), but it's not been in print for years in the US. You can find the first 4 Epic reprints at reasonable prices on Ebay (at least you could before he died I haven't checked in the past few weeks).
    Incal just got a new solicitiation so it should be available soon
    I also feel like there was something else Moebius in last month's Previews.