Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Introduce Yourself-- And Play Two Truths and a Lie...

Comments

• Options
    I've been off the forums for a whole.

My name is Raph. I've been a forumite since 2006. I work at Midtown Comics (check out Nat Geo's Comic Store Heroes, I get a few seconds of air time), and I want to write comics. I've been working on and off on a series for the past decade nearly. I love comics. It's as simple as that. I love what the medium does for people, to people.

Two truths and a lie.

1) I have a growing action figure collection that I like to take pictures of and make photo comics with them.

2) I am the Hero Gotham Deserves, but not the One It Needs Right Now

3) I used to do a podcast, and am considering starting over again.
  • Options
    little_witchlittle_witch Posts: 185
    Yay, hi Raph :) I think the second one isn't the whole truth :P
  • Options
    Hey CGS, I'm Michael!

- I've been working on a new webcomic that's releasing next week called Unstoppable.

- It's always been my dream to create comic content.

- I've done this before.

I'll let you figure that out. Just wanted to say hi, don't know what to old forums look like but these are classy :) If your so inclined you can take a peak of what I'm working on, I'd love to hear what you think!

http://www.facebook.com/unstoppablecomicpanda
  • Options
    Hi, I'm Chuck. Long time listener, first time poster. (First time here, anyway.)

1. I have, at one time or another, passed through every State in the country.

2. I was 'bounced out' of the Buckaroo Banzai movie by the watermelon scene, and couldn't enjoy the rest of the movie after that.

3. I tried to argue with Denny O'Neil that he wasn't really Denny O'Neil.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Hey there fellow Geek Speakers! I'm a long time comics fan from New Zealand. My hobbies include drawing, comics, movies, reading, and music.

1. I travelled to New York in 1989 at the tender age of 19 on a container ship.
    2. I was a member of the Lower Hutt Repertory Theater from 1986 to 1989.
    3. I was the real life inspiration for Jar Jar Binks.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Hi, I'm Chuck. Long time listener, first time poster. (First time here, anyway.)

2. I was 'bounced out' of the Buckaroo Banzai movie by the watermelon scene, and couldn't enjoy the rest of the movie after that.

The following explanation was written by the director of the 1984 docudrama, W.D. Richter, for the April 1986 edition of the World Watch 1 Newsletter: "I can only imagine Buckaroo trying to grapple with this question. When cornered (as I feel now), he often quotes H.L. Mencken's nasty remark about how every complex question always has a simple answer...that is usually wrong. But it is high time poor New Jersey's honest inquiry be answered. Let me rephrase the question first one way, then another. "Why is a watermelon trapped between those monstrous pressure plates deep within the Institute's Critical Stress Laboratory?" Team Banzai botanical agronomists have been for years hard at work on the problem of hunger in Third World countries under constant revolutionary turmoil. A nonpolitical, humanitarian effort, their goal has been to find ways to feed starving peoples in remote areas where traditional food delivery systems prove woefully inadequate. Often, the only way to get the nourishment into the bellies of the needy is to hit and run, avoiding all petty ideological side-taking. What you see in the Critical Stress Lab is a revolutionary watermelon capable of withstanding impact pressures of 300,000 pounds per square inch! Sweet, juicy and vitamin-packed, this remarkable fruit can be dropped from the bomb bays of low-flying aircraft into the backyards of disenfranchised villagers in the remotest backwaters of this angry planet. Just another Team Banzai effort to cut through all the unnecessary crap around us and help people help themselves. Look for high-impact, low cholesterol eggs next... and sooner than you think, shatter-proof whole-wheat taco shells. (Note from Mrs. Johnson: More behind-the scenes information about the anomalous watermelon can be found in an "Easter egg" that is hidden on the Buckaroo Banzai DVD.)
  • Options
    random73 said:

The following explanation was written by the director of the 1984 docudrama, W.D. Richter, for the April 1986 edition of the World Watch 1 Newsletter: "I can only imagine Buckaroo trying to grapple with this question. When cornered (as I feel now), he often quotes H.L. Mencken's nasty remark about how every complex question always has a simple answer...that is usually wrong. But it is high time poor New Jersey's honest inquiry be answered. Let me rephrase the question first one way, then another. "Why is a watermelon trapped between those monstrous pressure plates deep within the Institute's Critical Stress Laboratory?" Team Banzai botanical agronomists have been for years hard at work on the problem of hunger in Third World countries under constant revolutionary turmoil. A nonpolitical, humanitarian effort, their goal has been to find ways to feed starving peoples in remote areas where traditional food delivery systems prove woefully inadequate. Often, the only way to get the nourishment into the bellies of the needy is to hit and run, avoiding all petty ideological side-taking. What you see in the Critical Stress Lab is a revolutionary watermelon capable of withstanding impact pressures of 300,000 pounds per square inch! Sweet, juicy and vitamin-packed, this remarkable fruit can be dropped from the bomb bays of low-flying aircraft into the backyards of disenfranchised villagers in the remotest backwaters of this angry planet. Just another Team Banzai effort to cut through all the unnecessary crap around us and help people help themselves. Look for high-impact, low cholesterol eggs next... and sooner than you think, shatter-proof whole-wheat taco shells. (Note from Mrs. Johnson: More behind-the scenes information about the anomalous watermelon can be found in an "Easter egg" that is hidden on the Buckaroo Banzai DVD.)
    The problem I had at the time was that I was a lab technician working in the metallurgy lab of a steel foundry -- and I used that very same machine every day to tear apart metal samples for each heat that we poured. That consisted of machining metal samples into small columned bars with a .505 millimeter radius, clamping them into the jaws of the machine and applying pressure until the machine tore the bar apart -- requiring anywhere from 22,000 psi (for irons) up to over 144,000 psi (tungsten alloyed steels).

The watermelon scene lost me and bounced me out of the movie because, being so familiar with the stress tester, I couldn't imagine how the heck they thought they could hook a watermelon up to it in the first place! The melon was just too big to hook the jaws of the device up to it! Later, I realized they could get away with just setting the melon on the bottom section of the jaws and squeeze it rather than pull it apart, but by that point the illusion of the movie had been disrupted for me and I couldn't slip back into it again.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    You, my friend, are a geek! ;)
  • Options
    random73 said:

You, my friend, are a geek! ;)

I yam what I yam. :)

Which doesn't prevent me from making errors. I said 'up to 144,000 psi (tungsten alloyed steels)'. I don't know what I was thinking of; those were titanium alloyed steels, military grade.

Boy, it's been a long time since those days!

• Options
    BonesBones Posts: 4
    Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I have to say thank you to CGS for re-introducing me to the world of comics! I am a lapsed reader who first started reading comics in late 1985 and became a collector between 1986 and 1990. I stumbled on CGS while browsing the podcast center on I-Tunes and gave it a listen. This was about a year or so ago and I am now hooked! I had no idea how much comics have changed since then, and I have purchased several omnibus' and graphic novels over the past year.

One friendly suggestion: Chris Eberle really should be a permanent member of CGS. His analysis is superb and his cadence is easy to listen to. Now, for two truths and a lie:

1. I have never been to a comic book convention.
    2. My last name is Lifeson and I am related to Alex Lifeson, the guitarist for Rush.
    3. I am glad Peter Rios is no longer on CGS.

Thanks for reading!
  • Options
    Hi Bones, the last one must be a lie, how can you not love Peter.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    My name is Jason. Over the past 6 months, I have been catching up with the show starting from episode #1.

1. I am Jamie D's secret love child
    2. I know more DC universe history than Murd
    3. I started reading comics in the mid 80's, with a long break in the 1990s.
  • Options

My name is Jason. Over the past 6 months, I have been catching up with the show starting from episode #1.

Ha! I think the long break in the 90's is true for EVERYONE!

So, that leaves the other two... hmmm.... and you can't possibly know more DC history than Murd... so that leaves....

Welcome, Lil' Jamie!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Tonebone said:

So, that leaves the other two... hmmm.... and you can't possibly know more DC history than Murd... so that leaves....

Welcome, Lil' Jamie!
    Yeah I stopped reading comics ,besides Preacher and Hate,from about 1992 till 1997.
  • Options
    I didn't stop buying comics in the late 90's so much as I took a pause because of low finances. In my whole life, I have never stopped buying comics.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

I didn't stop buying comics in the late 90's so much as I took a pause because of low finances. In my whole life, I have never stopped buying comics.

I have only completely stopped one time. Right after Preacher and Hate ended I didn't buy any comics till late 2005. And I only started back up then cause of hearing the early episodes of CGS.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Not only did I never stop reading comics - I never stopped reading them in public B-)
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

Welcome, Lil' Jamie!
    Glad to be here!!!!
  • Options
    During the 90's, I am not even sure if I knew comics were still being published. They disappeared from the place I got them growing up (grocery stores) and I did not even know of any comic book book stores in my area.
  • Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    My name is Jacen Chris. Yes, it's my real name. I'm 22 years old, from South Carolina, and currently have a trade buying addiction (53 since last October, help my soul). My favorite writers are Ed Brubaker, Warren Ellis, and that Scott Snyder guy who loves Elvis a bit too much.

1. I wrote my first comic in the fifth grade.
    2. My favorite character is Superman.
    3. My first comic was Batman Adventures #1.
  • Options
    Welcome @JCB >:D<

#2 is obviously false - it looks like you've got a crush on Batman
  • Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51

Welcome @JCB >:D<

#2 is obviously false - it looks like you've got a crush on Batman

I hate that big blue boy scout...SO. MUCH.
  • Options
    I write for Ain't It Cool news under the handle Optimous Douche.

I love comics
    My left testicle is a squirrell named Big Lots
    I love talking comics on he interwebz
  • Options
    CGS is one of the golden treasures I found on itunes and the website added bliss...the podcasts on my headphones at night cause me to giggle or make other noises...giving bed partner cause to wonder what IS she listening to?! :)

1. I will be 100 and still feel like I am 14, except on the days my body betrays me.
    2. I gave my oldest son two issues of the scratch and sniff Ren & Stimpy comics, one to read and one to keep in the bag, duh!
    3. I own an artist signed copy of issue 2 of the TMNT/Flaming Carrot
  • Options
    Only posted a couple times on the old forums. Been listening for almost a year.

1. I have 2 kids with a 3rd on the way
    2. My bones are laced with cells from Rocker Adam Ant's friend Ian (yes...Adam Ant's Ian)
    3. My 6 year old son's alter ego is a super fast, super strong, faster than anyone but the Flash (who, of course, is the fastest man alive), master of disguises named Lighting...or Space Lighting if he's wearing an astronaut helmet...or Sweater Lighting if he's wearing a sweater.
  • Options
    Don't know Ian - but I very much like Adam Ant :D
  • Options
    hey guys my name is matt and

1. im 67 years old
    2. i find C. Nolan's Batman trilogy incredible
    3. Like rock music
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I'm 27, live in the uk and have been seriously reading comics for about 18 months.

-The first comic I read was the Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born trade
    - I once stared in a movie short as a train spotting gangsta.
    - I hate superman.