Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mike Gallagher kicked off the show

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Wood said:

G) One of my co-hosts, David, is fond of saying that you are free to ask for a full refund if you don't enjoy our show. There's a TON of truth to that statement. Podcasts are, save for very few, labors of love. We don't make money. Even if you're fortunate enough to have reasonably large audiences, and sponsors, you're basically recouping the monies you are putting out. So if you're upset with a host, or don't like the show, nothing is keeping you around. CGS doesn't owe you any particular style, length, frequency, or content. They owe THEMSELVES a show THEY are proud of, and entertained by. Nothing more. And let's be honest, more times than not what they have put out there has been terrific. That's what keeps us coming back.

H) Since I haven't been around for awhile, I wanted to say that Pants deserves an IMMENSE pat on the back. When Bryan left to handle some personal matters, I'm sure I wasn't alone in thinking that would effectively end CGS. But it didn't. And it seems to me that a huge reason for its continued existence was Pants taking on the role of producer. If you've known Pants from the beginning of his time with CGS, it would've been hard to believe he would be willing (and able :) ) to produce a show like this with regularity and breadth of content. But he's done so with a smile on his face. GREAT JOB BRIAN.

I agree with everything @Wood wrote, but these two points in particular. Well said, Jason! =D>
  • Options

brydeemer said:

I've been loving the resurgence of old timers this week. I would love to see that continue. Stick around for a while guys, you've been missed.

Bry

And some of us never left...it's like the frecking Hotel California.
    Is it true that colitas has a warm smell? I mean, an actual temperature that goes with an odor....
    Ha Ha! I read this as Colitis... an inflamation of the intestines that causes diarrhea. Left field does not even begin to describe where I thought this question came from.

And, yes, it does.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Tonebone said:

brydeemer said:

I've been loving the resurgence of old timers this week. I would love to see that continue. Stick around for a while guys, you've been missed.

Bry

And some of us never left...it's like the frecking Hotel California.
    Is it true that colitas has a warm smell? I mean, an actual temperature that goes with an odor....
    Ha Ha! I read this as Colitis... an inflamation of the intestines that causes diarrhea. Left field does not even begin to describe where I thought this question came from.

And, yes, it does.

...I read it as "coitus".
  • Options
    The_JPThe_JP Posts: 33
    edited October 2012
    shroud68 said:

I am far from an "old timer" and am a fairly passive listener. I attended the last two Supershows, the last few WildPigs cons and play in the CGS fantasy leagues the past few years. I enjoy this community and I stick to the belief the Geeks owe nothing to us. They certainly do not have to justify anything to us, if they have a financial backer, if they appear intermittently, if they make cast changes without checking with us. It's their sandbox, I thank them for letting me play in it. If there was a drop in quality when Pants took over, I never noticed and the show seems as good as ever. The posts that criticize interview styles and show choices and techniques are laughable. I enjoy the show and accept these guys all have lives outside this community that I do not need to know about. I abhor the cult of personality that surrounds some of them and I realize that it is nothing they adopted but have to deal with. I'm sure just like me each one of them have some personality trait I dont care for and I actually enjoy the show more when I get flashes of their individual "bad" sides. I cringed when Matt went on how he tries to weasel out of his bets with such pride. Diversity makes the world go round and I feel the revolving door of hosts is a strength not a weakness.

All that being said and I hate dipping my toe in these waters, the sudden re- appearnce of all the "old-timers" for lack of a better word unitentinally gives the appearnce of Ding Dong the Witch is Dead. I fully admit that it probably is not an intentional thing but a happy side-effect of Mike being gone. There just seems to be an undercurrent of all is better, look at all these guys who are back now that Mike is gone. They are back for whatever reason and I do not know any of them to even really make that connection but as a guy with no friendships or Facebook connections within this community, I just feel like people are dancing on Mike's grave un-intentionally or not. If he's off the show, he's off the show. I felt the same absence when Peter left, a Geek who I had much more in common with comic-wise than any of them. C'est La Vie. I did not feel entitled to know why he left and Mike's sin is not my business. I just felt like saying it feels pretty sh**ty and makes the separation that tougher to swallow. I miss you Mike and while I will still listen to the show and enjoy every Geek on the show and the forum members, I wanted to put my pointless voice to this temptest in a teapot. Good Luck!

So I feel in same position, I haven't been around since the start but I have been at 2 supershows, on 2 of the shows and have listened to hundreds of other episodes since 2007 ... since I am from the Reading area, I got to know the guys on the show: Peter, Pants and Murd have been very good to me and I like them very much ... but still think Mikes a good guy.

One of the reasons I like this community is that I feel like one can be themselves, nerd, geek or whatnot ... no one likes to be picked, certainly I am sure we all have dealt with this when we were younger.

I am hoping this situation is just a big miss understanding. I mean come on, haven't we all fought with a friend/family member and in some cases haven't talked to them because they did something horrible. So maybe that is what happened here ... Mike can still be a good guy and the geeks can continue to do what they do.

Taking the high road is hard, but the more we do it ... the easier it gets.

My two cents,
    JP

• Options
    I am the Sun
    And the air,
    of a shyness that is criminally vulgar...
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

I am the Sun
    And the air,

How soon is now???
  • Options

I am the Sun
    And the air,

Oh, do I remember being all mopy and listening to this song in college.

• Options
    I am not waiting for anybody - I *am* Godot.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Just a one off special guest appearance Peter??? Maybe???

Was I the only one to call this???
  • Options
    Will_TWOTHWill_TWOTH Posts: 54
    edited October 2012
    luke52 said:

I am the Sun
    And the air,

How soon is now???
    Yep! I love The Smiths! Shame Morrissey is a bit... well, off his rocker!
  • Options

Crotchfruit.

You're welcome!
  • Options
    "The warm smell of crotchfruit"....not a good song lyric.....
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    luke52 said:

luke52 said:

Not by a long shot.
  • Options
    KyleMoyer said:

luke52 said:

luke52 said:

Not by a long shot.
    It was good to have him back. Lets hope it's not a one and done!
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    luke52 said:

I'm waaaayyyyyy behind on my episodes. What # are we talking about here?
  • Options
    Hex said:

luke52 said:

I'm waaaayyyyyy behind on my episodes. What # are we talking about here?
    @Hex it's episide 1293 - ridin out the storm. You're in for a real treat!
  • Options
    conspiracy theorists could have a field day with that title, Hurricane Sandy and other news.. #poking the bear with a ironic stick.. ;)
  • Options
    Apparently it's the perfect time to stage a come back.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I took a break from CGS for a bit because I have been so gosh darn busy, but what the F happened here? As the founder of Team Mike Gallagher I am taking this very hard. I am very sad about this. I love Mike and thought he added great energy to the show when it was going through a bit of a transition. I hope he has all the success in the world in the future.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Eric_C said:

I took a break from CGS for a bit because I have been so gosh darn busy, but what the F happened here? As the founder of Team Mike Gallagher I am taking this very hard. I am very sad about this. I love Mike and thought he added great energy to the show when it was going through a bit of a transition. I hope he has all the success in the world in the future.

Hey, welcome back. Hopefully your break wasn't a long one.

M
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    WoW! I'm about 7 eps behind since I don't want to get spoiled, but well, I saw this thread BEFORE I started listening to episode 1288 and was reading it when Bryan made the announcement. Again, Wow! I guess I'm not so surprised about Mike. Still, I did value his opinion. I usually disagreed with him, but I was in awe about his X-Men knowledge. Anyway, I wish him well. Oh, and I firmly agree that PANTS is doing a GREAT job!
  • Options
    Parallax said:

I'm an old-timer as well. Since Ep 15 and 5 forums ago.

I trust Bryan and Peter or I wouldn't have listened for 1500 episodes.

I'm just glad I'll never have to hear "Trade Paper" during a Previews episode again. Ugh.

Trade paper?
  • Options

Trade paper?

Whenever Mike would mention a collection on the Previews episodes he would call it a "Trade Paper" rather than "Trade Paper Back." It annoyed the hell out of me too, though, to be fair, that's how it's indicated in the Previews (with a TP rather than TPB).

chris

• Options

Trade paper?

Whenever Mike would mention a collection on the Previews episodes he would call it a "Trade Paper" rather than "Trade Paper Back." It annoyed the hell out of me too, though, to be fair, that's how it's indicated in the Previews (with a TP rather than TPB).

chris

Ah, thanks.

I haven't listened to a a Previews show since the Flashpoint rant. (which was awesome)

Mainly has to do with me usually being so behind in reading comics.
  • Options
    I'm old enough to have stopped posting 3 or 4 years ago. My only comment is I am glad to see that people can actually post now. The 'Hazel' references are back to a time when if anyone said anything remotely controversial it was deleted instantly and threats where handed out. That would also be why I stopped posting. I am happy to see this thread.

Now if I could only reactivate my real username...!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    ellipsis2 said:

I'm old enough to have stopped posting 3 or 4 years ago. My only comment is I am glad to see that people can actually post now. The 'Hazel' references are back to a time when if anyone said anything remotely controversial it was deleted instantly and threats where handed out. That would also be why I stopped posting. I am happy to see this thread.

...!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

ellipsis2 said:

...!
    That is correct sir...