Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Disney Buys Star Wars!

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Maybe I missed it, but was there any reason given as to why Lucas would sell at all, let alone to Disney? It's not as though he needed the money.

He's nearly 70.

Apparently, his children aren't interested in continuing his legacy.

The Pixar founders, who have serious clout at Disney, are old Lucasfilm employees.

Disney has the best chance of keeping Star Wars going for generations.
  • Options

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Maybe I missed it, but was there any reason given as to why Lucas would sell at all, let alone to Disney? It's not as though he needed the money.

Released today, I don't think I've seen anything. A couple months ago when Kathleen Kennedy was given a replacement-of-Lucas-in-waiting job, I think there might've been some indication... he wants to do more artsy/indie films.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Just to bring this around to comics for a second, how soon before Dark Horse loses the Star Wars license to Marvel? Star Wars has been a strong seller for them, and it's a large part of their back catalog. They could take a big hit from this.

And now back to movie speculation...

I don't really care what Disney does with Star Wars at this point. I only want one thing: Pixar’s Adventures of Han Solo and Chewbacca set pre-Star Wars.
  • Options
    The_JPThe_JP Posts: 33
    PANTS, we need an emergency episode stat!
  • Options
    I personally hope that they ignore the expanded universe. Tell new, quality stories divorced from any prior continuity.

And hopefully this means George Lucas can stop trolling his fanbase and Disney can release the original theatrical cuts of the films on DVD.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

I personally hope that they ignore the expanded universe. Tell new, quality stories divorced from any prior continuity.

And hopefully this means George Lucas can stop trolling his fanbase and Disney can release the original theatrical cuts of the films on DVD.

. . . At least, when the films aren't "In the Disney Vault" ;)

• Options
    David_D said:

. . . At least, when the films aren't "In the Disney Vault" ;)

Oh noes!
    I always imagine that once a movie is in the Disney vault, fans would have to come up with some sort of caper film style break in to acquire the film prints of Snow White or something.
    Gargoyle said:

My gut reaction to this is not a positive one I have to admit. I fear a conveyor belt approach to the creation of Star Wars films as they become just another franchise to be bled. I know a lot of people feel that way about the prequels and other things which GL has done but I've never really seen them that way.

Of course I'll be there on opening day for new Star Wars films and I hope fervently to be proven wrong, but right now I'm wearing a frown.

I kind of agree with you in a sense. I don't think the prequels were just a money grab, just clearly an instance of a passionate director not knowing his limitations. Hence, why a "kids movie" with a cartoon rabbit was about economic space policy, lack of craft in the narrative, and the weak acting.

Sure Lucas' motivation had to factor in the fact he was going to be richer by the end of it, but I never felt like it came from an uncreative place. I save that for the toys.
    kiwijase said:

Princess Leia- Ellen Page

Don't judge me, but Ellen Page with Leia's hairdo is probably some weird fetish I had when I was fourteen.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    luke52 said:

WetRats said:

luke52 said:

How long until Joss Whedon is linked???

THIS

MUST

HAPPEN!
    I'm sure he'd do a great job. He'd have to choose between Star Wars and Avengers though. Couldnt see him doing both. I haven't a clue what I'd choose????
    A crossover! What else?!
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457

I'm gonna have a field day with this merger.

DAR said:

Can you tell me where you got that from?

"Got that from"?
    I do my own stunts. :P

• Options
    The_JP said:

PANTS, we need an emergency episode stat!

That might be tough, considering the superstorm just hit and power might be out.

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    You know what blows my mind about this I was 2 1/2 when A New Hope was released in 1977 wouldn't turn 3 until August of that summer. I will be 40 going on 41 when Episode 7 is released.
  • Options
    Oh, has anyone else thought about how crazy the year 2015 will be for geek movies? Avengers 2, Justice League, and now Star Wars: Episode 7.
  • Options
    DAR said:

You know what blows my mind about this I was 2 1/2 when A New Hope was released in 1977 wouldn't turn 3 until August of that summer. I will be 40 going on 41 when Episode 7 is released.

I got ya beat... i was 10 months old when Ep1 came out.

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Wait you're only 13?
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

To shepherd it into the future
  • Options
    DAR said:

Wait you're only 13?

Good catch! I meant episode 4. I think it would be interesting to find out who among us on these boards had their birthday closest to the day Ep4, A New Hope, or as we knew it then... STAR WARS came out.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    Ok, so I can confirm that there will be episodes 7, 8 and 9. New writers, new directors. Everyone is super jazzed. We're plowing ahead full speed!
  • Options
    My birthday was January 27th 1977, so I was only 4 months old.
  • Options
    Frankly, I'm a bit bummed that Lucas won't be involved with the next films. While his directing wasn't the best, I never felt they were that bad, and I was always impressed that he had a vision and worked hard to realize it. I'm not all that interested in a Star Wars that continues without his direction or oversight, and I'm really not all that pumped about another director being involved, unless Lucas is continuing as producer.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

Frankly, I'm a bit bummed that Lucas won't be involved with the next films. While his directing wasn't the best, I never felt they were that bad, and I was always impressed that he had a vision and worked hard to realize it. I'm not all that interested in a Star Wars that continues without his direction or oversight, and I'm really not all that pumped about another director being involved, unless Lucas is continuing as producer.

He continues being the creative consultant
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    mrfusion said:

Wait, what?!?

I love the fact that you found out about your new boss from this forum.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Star Wars 7, Avengers 2 and allegedly Justice League in the same summer?

Geek overload!!!!!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited October 2012

Just to bring this around to comics for a second, soon before Dark Horse loses the Star Wars license to Marvel?Star Wars has been a strong seller for them, and it's a large part of their back catalog. They could take a big hit from this.

2) Much was made of Disney's global licensed product and distribution reach making better use of LucasFilm licenses, with all emphasis on the $4.05 billion paid being relative to the value of the Star Wars franchise. For example, this would imply that any Star Wars (and Indiana Jones?) licensed comic books will now go under Marvel once the current Star Wars/Dark Horse contract ends, and video games would go through Disney Interactive.
    I was wondering about that too. When does Dark Horse's contract expire. Is it public knowledge?
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    KyleMoyer said:

Geek overload!!!!!

Isn't Ant Man due out in 2015 too?
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    NOW, can Han officially shoot first?

i hope the new trilogy fits into the expanded universe. most of the books and comic books are in canon, with Lucasfilm's blessing. i'm sure they can fit a story or adapt one for the screen. 2015? maybe they should take their time with this, unless some prelim work has been done prior to the merger. i wonder how close this will be, if at all, to what he refers to as his original treatments for episodes 7-9.

i also hope they bring back harrison ford, mark hammill, etc, even just for cameos, as a link to what has been done before. and morph Lucas into a CGI Hutt!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    E! News is reporting the next movies will be completely new stories.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    This is such surprising and fantastic news! I was floored to find out it was actually true and I'm thrilled. Other than possible over saturation, I see nothing but good here. A decade or so late but in happy.
    On the subject of a SW theme park, how friggin awesome will that be?! (You know it'll happen). Anyone else ever see the article of the SW park that nearly was? In Europe I think years ago? They planned a life size falcon etc. so cool will likely come to pass now. Woo hoo
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I am surprised by the move because even without new Star Wars films in production I assumed Lucas Films could survive on its own for the foreseeable future. Disney buying out Marvel and PIxar so far has worked out well so I do not think there is any reason for doom and gloom.

To bring this back to comics I know the folks over at Darkhorse must have had a really bad day yesterday. They may still have a few years left on the contract, but eventually Marvel is going to take over the Star Wars franchise.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Didn't Marvel put out SW comics originally? Full circle.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

KyleMoyer said:

Geek overload!!!!!

Isn't Ant Man due out in 2015 too?
    Seems so... 2015 in film at Wikipedia:

The Penguins of Madagascar
    The Avengers 2
    Trolls
    Untitled Disney/Pixar Inside The Mind Film
    The Smurfs 3
    Ant-Man
    B.O.O: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations
    The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
    Peanuts
    Mumbai Musical

Wikipedia apparently not up-to-date because it doesn't have Star Wars and Justice League.