Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Duncan’s second big US project was also for Vertigo, an eight-issue mini-series called Enigma—a post-modern take on superheroes written by Peter Milligan. It wasn’t the greatest story ever told, but it was enjoyable and thought-provoking, and again Duncan’s artwork—this time pencil and ink—was impressive.

And here's another Vertigo series I have bought out of the cheap bins but never read.
  • dubbat138 said:

Yeah my love of Kid Eternity is what made me check out the Morrison mini. Quality was one of the better Golden age publishers. Didn't they also do Plastic Man and the Blackhawks?

Yeah, and all of DC's Freedom Fighters characters (Uncle Sam, et al) were Quality heroes as well. As was Max Mercury, who in those days was known as Quicksilver. Some of DC's war mags like G I Combat and Men At War were originally Quality titles as well.
    edited November 2012
    Thanks,I was pretty sure. But I have been awake 30+ hours and couldn't trust my memory.

Also a warning that link is NSFW.
  • Now, how was my last comment 'off-topic'!? He asked whether Blackhawk and Plastic Man were Quality heroes, and I answered him! And supplied extra info besides! And this came out of a post showing Quality comics covers!

Where was I 'off-topic'!?

Now, how was my last comment 'off-topic'!? He asked whether Blackhawk and Plastic Man were Quality heroes, and I answered him! And supplied extra info besides! And this came out of a post showing Quality comics covers!

Where was I 'off-topic'!?

People use the buttons to troll. I would be happy if they were just turned off. I was marked off topic for talking about Batman Forever. And for a few months someone was going around and marking all my posts "Dislike".

• John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited November 2012
    @dubbat138 : I disagree (and hit the "disagree" button in doing so...)
    The interwebs are a savage place - but I strongly believe that this very forum is a peaceful one. Trolls around here are very rare. Maybe you got a few "dislikes" from people who not always like the covers you post. And you're posting quite a lot of them. Sure people then also should be a bit more specific....but : You got hundreds of "likes" as well. That didn't bother you much.... ;)

@Chuck_Melville: the "off-topic" could have been given by mistake - it's awful close to the "insightful" ( I even double-checked to make sure it was not me - it wasn't me...)
    :D
  • dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

So I spent much of my weekend at the local NC Comicon. Duncan Fegredo was the special guest, and someone I’ve wanted to meet for some time now. I had a nice chat with him today, and since it ties in with the Vertigo theme from the past few days, I thought I’d post the covers of the first big project he did here in the States: the Kid Eternity prestige format mini-series.

This was a pretty good mini written by Grant Morrison, and it was successful enough to spawn an ongoing series, which while not quite as good was a decent little series. But the highlight of the mini for me was Duncan’s fully painted artwork. He was fantastic right from the start.

I read the Morrison Kid Eternity mini earlier this year and wasn't a fan of it. One of the few things Morrison did back in that era I didn't enjoy. But I have read some scattered issues of the later ongoing series and have liked what I have read.
    It certainly wasn’t Morrison’s best work, even for the time, but I still enjoyed it. Maybe partly because it brought back a Golden Age character, and a character from my favorite Golden Age publisher, Quality Comics, no less!

Cover art by Sheldon Moldoff, the co-creator of the character.

Cover by Al Bryant.

Cover probably by Pete Riss.

Yeah my love of Kid Eternity is what made me check out the Morrison mini. Quality was one of the better Golden age publishers. Didn't they also do Plastic Man and the Blackhawks?
    My love for Quality isn't really about the characters so much as it is the artists they had doing work for them. Most of their books were farmed out to the Eisner/Iger Shop. Besides Will Eisner himself, they also had Lou Fine, Reed Crandall, Nick Cardy, and Jack Cole, as well as many others on their staff. They put the quality in Quality.
  • dubbat138 said:

WetRats said:

@Chuck_Melville: all those "dislikes" are for the ugly-ass 90s superhero covers, not your insights thereupon.

Thank God those weren't personal!

Actually, the Malibu covers weren't nearly so bad as most of the Image covers of that era -- and I rather liked the Breyfogle and Hoberg art!

The Malibu Ultraverse, of course, came to an ugly end after a few years, when Marvel bought the company, lock, stock and color platform -- and it was the computerized color platform that Marvel was mostly interested in. The Ultraverse heroes had a very short shelflife after that, mixing it up with the Marvel heroes with some bleeding between the two universes, (The Godwheel was one of the better attempts during this period) but, because the characters were creator-owned, Marvel didn't have the rights to continue using them and didn't come to any agreement with the creators to do so. Eventually, Marvel seemed to lose any interest in the characters (if, in fact, they ever really had any to begin with), and the Ultraverse just quietly faded away.
    I have also heard that Marvel bought Malibu cause DC was interested in them. And they were worried that if DC combined their market share with Malibu's they might take teh number 1 spot from Marvel. No idea how true this is. I loved the Ultraverse. And it is another of the 90s "Dead Universes" I have been slowly collecting over the past 7 or so years. With the Ultraverse I have never had to pay more than a buck for any title. But from the issues I have read the quality of the writing went downhill quickly once Marvel took over. I got a Nightman VS Wolverine comic that was supposed to be limited to like 10,000 copies and it is one of the worst comics I have ever read that the big two has published. I seem to remember a Prime VS Hulk comic that came out around the same time. Want to say these comics were only available by ordering them from an ad in teh comics. And cost like 10 bucks or more each.

It’s weird timing that you brought this up. This very topic came up in a conversation at the NC Comicon yesterday with a guy who worked on the business side of Malibu at the time. I won't mention his name, but he confirmed that Marvel bought Malibu to keep DC from doing so. It didn’t really have anything to do with Malibu’s coloring department as most people, including myself, had been led to believe. Though Marvel did use that to their advantage once the deal was done.

@dubbat138 : I disagree (and hit the "disagree" button in doing so...)
    The interwebs are a savage place - but I strongly believe that this very forum is a peaceful one. Trolls around here are very rare. Maybe you got a few "dislikes" from people who not always like the covers you post. And you're posting quite a lot of them. Sure people then also should be a bit more specific....but : You got hundreds of "likes" as well. That didn't bother you much.... ;)

@Chuck_Melville: the "off-topic" could have been given by mistake - it's awful close to the "insightful" ( I even double-checked to make sure it was not me - it wasn't me...)
    :D

Actually the dislikes I was talking about were on posts where I wasn't posting covers. But yeah I do have a bunch of likes also. I have slowed down a lot on my posting of covers recently. Part of it was cause of my injuring my right shoulder and not being able to use my right arm much for 2 weeks. The other reason is cause I have gotten to where I don't check the forums as much as I use too.

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

So I spent much of my weekend at the local NC Comicon. Duncan Fegredo was the special guest, and someone I’ve wanted to meet for some time now. I had a nice chat with him today, and since it ties in with the Vertigo theme from the past few days, I thought I’d post the covers of the first big project he did here in the States: the Kid Eternity prestige format mini-series.

This was a pretty good mini written by Grant Morrison, and it was successful enough to spawn an ongoing series, which while not quite as good was a decent little series. But the highlight of the mini for me was Duncan’s fully painted artwork. He was fantastic right from the start.

I read the Morrison Kid Eternity mini earlier this year and wasn't a fan of it. One of the few things Morrison did back in that era I didn't enjoy. But I have read some scattered issues of the later ongoing series and have liked what I have read.
    It certainly wasn’t Morrison’s best work, even for the time, but I still enjoyed it. Maybe partly because it brought back a Golden Age character, and a character from my favorite Golden Age publisher, Quality Comics, no less!

Cover art by Sheldon Moldoff, the co-creator of the character.

Cover by Al Bryant.

Cover probably by Pete Riss.

My love for Quality isn't really about the characters so much as it is the artists they had doing work for them. Most of their books were farmed out to the Eisner/Iger Shop. Besides Will Eisner himself, they also had Lou Fine, Reed Crandall, Nick Cardy, and Jack Cole, as well as many others on their staff. They put the quality in Quality.
    Yeah Quality had a great line up of artists. I love Lou Fine,Jack Cole and Nick Cardy.

dubbat138 said:

WetRats said:

@Chuck_Melville: all those "dislikes" are for the ugly-ass 90s superhero covers, not your insights thereupon.

Actually, the Malibu covers weren't nearly so bad as most of the Image covers of that era -- and I rather liked the Breyfogle and Hoberg art!

The Malibu Ultraverse, of course, came to an ugly end after a few years, when Marvel bought the company, lock, stock and color platform -- and it was the computerized color platform that Marvel was mostly interested in. The Ultraverse heroes had a very short shelflife after that, mixing it up with the Marvel heroes with some bleeding between the two universes, (The Godwheel was one of the better attempts during this period) but, because the characters were creator-owned, Marvel didn't have the rights to continue using them and didn't come to any agreement with the creators to do so. Eventually, Marvel seemed to lose any interest in the characters (if, in fact, they ever really had any to begin with), and the Ultraverse just quietly faded away.
    I have also heard that Marvel bought Malibu cause DC was interested in them. And they were worried that if DC combined their market share with Malibu's they might take teh number 1 spot from Marvel. No idea how true this is. I loved the Ultraverse. And it is another of the 90s "Dead Universes" I have been slowly collecting over the past 7 or so years. With the Ultraverse I have never had to pay more than a buck for any title. But from the issues I have read the quality of the writing went downhill quickly once Marvel took over. I got a Nightman VS Wolverine comic that was supposed to be limited to like 10,000 copies and it is one of the worst comics I have ever read that the big two has published. I seem to remember a Prime VS Hulk comic that came out around the same time. Want to say these comics were only available by ordering them from an ad in teh comics. And cost like 10 bucks or more each.

It’s weird timing that you brought this up. This very topic came up in a conversation at the NC Comicon yesterday with a guy who worked on the business side of Malibu at the time. I won't mention his name, but he confirmed that Marvel bought Malibu to keep DC from doing so. It didn’t really have anything to do with Malibu’s coloring department as most people, including myself, had been led to believe. Though Marvel did use that to their advantage once the deal was done.

I wish I could remember where I heard the "Marvel bought Malibu so Dc couldn't" rumor. For years I had heard the Marvel bought Malibu for their coloring stuff. But want to say it was sometime this year or last year I first heard the other story.
  • dubbat138 said:

WetRats said:

That wouldn't surprise me either. I'd heard for years that one of the main reasons comic companies leased licensed properties like Tarzan (as an example) wasn't because they thought they could make money off of them, but because they didn't want their competitors doing so.

Steve Epting

Crossgen is another "Dead Universe" I have been collecting out of the cheap bins. I completely missed this comic cause when it was coming out I was on my one of my sabbaticals from comics. Only read a handful of issues so far,but it and Negation are my favorites from Crossgen so far.
    Caliban said:

from Thought Bubble Warrior #11 signed by David Lloyd

How hard is it to find back issues of Warrior over in the UK?
  • Here’s another book from The Stack, Marge’sLittle Lulu #72. An excellent issue.

Here’s another book from The Stack, Marge’sLittle Lulu #72. An excellent issue.

When I was about 5 my grannie got me a Lil Lulu digest. All the stories in it were about Lulu and Tubby going to a camp for summer. I wish I could remember what issue number it was. I would like to find a copy.

Was this it?

YES!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much. Now I just have to track down a copy.

• CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    @dubbat138
    they go for a couple of pounds up to 5-6gbp for some issues.
    Right now the original editor Dez Skinn is selling a joblot of 16 for £54.50 on ebay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARRIOR-mega-buy-all-16-available-issues-in-one-lot-/221132880307

The problem is postage to the usa. There's usually someone with copies at the London shows so you might try asking one of the CGS crew if they could fir a few issues into their return luggage
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    edited November 2012
    You know, Norman Rockwell is perhaps the most iconic American illustrator in our country’s history, so it makes sense that comic books would riff off of his work. It seems to happen more often around the holidays, though. Here’s Rockwell’s “Freedom from Want,” a.k.a., “The Thanksgiving Picture,” which ran in The Saturday Evening Post on March 6, 1943:

It’s a great composition, with the family framing the abundant spread. And here are a few comic book cover homages:

Cover by Carlos Pacheco and Jesus Merino.

Cover by Tim Sale.

Cover by Curt Swan and Stan Kaye.

Cover by Anna-Maria Cool and Jeff Albrecht.

Cover by Stan Goldberg and Bob Smith.
  • One more:

Cover by Bryan Hitch.
    Caliban said:

@dubbat138
    they go for a couple of pounds up to 5-6gbp for some issues.
    Right now the original editor Dez Skinn is selling a joblot of 16 for £54.50 on ebay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARRIOR-mega-buy-all-16-available-issues-in-one-lot-/221132880307

The problem is postage to the usa. There's usually someone with copies at the London shows so you might try asking one of the CGS crew if they could fir a few issues into their return luggage

See I figured they would sell for much more. Thanks for the info.

Dustin Nguyen

Not really doing Thanksgiving this year. Mainly cause my mood is taken a nosedive and I rather not be in a crowded noisy house. But hope everyone else has a great day.

Wayne Faucher
    Craig Rousseau

Richard Parker

Mike L Estlick
    Gordon Purcell
    Carlos Ezquerra
    Breast or leg?
  • Caliban said:

Carlos Ezquerra
    Breast or leg?

Ugh! A decent enough figure drawing, but horrible coloring.