Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Man of Steel

Comments

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Looks like some potentially exciting and attractive looking segments but overall Im more concerned than ever. The opening drug on forever. Nothing in this trailer felt anything like Superman, his universe or his mythos to me. This isnt Superman. Superman is dead. Mope mope mope the world hates and fears me, mope mope mope im dark and burdoned, mope mope mope the world (well really just white America and its government/authority) is completely xenophobic etc etc.
    The guy playing Superman is growing on me though. I think hes looking better in the role than first appeared. guess well find out next summer.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited December 2012
    @Batlaw I don't know, Superman looks pretty white to me. So is this another story of white America fearing handsome white Europeans (that old chestnut)?
  • Options
    David_D said:

@Batlaw I don't know, Superman looks pretty white to me. So is this another story of white America fearing handsome white Europeans (that old chestnut)?

No, its just another in the endless barrage of unorriginal left-leaning stories about how horrible "we" are.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    batlaw said:

David_D said:

No, its just another in the endless barrage of unorriginal left-leaning stories about how horrible "we" are.
    Conflict and changes in status are where stories, especially the kind of stories that wrap up in a tidy three acts, tend to come from.

For example the story of going from fearing an alien from another planet until he proves himself and then is embraced and loved. Whether it is the military (perhaps a military influenced by Luthor?) in a Superman story, or the by-the-book Lieutenant trying to reign in the loose canon detective, it tends to be the case that stories, particularly stories about heroes or mavericks, tend to include a resistance to authority, or an authority that needs to be resisted or circumvented. Because that is a way that a character who we as an audience know is in the right can struggle to succeed, usually on their own, without all the many, many authorities available to help them. That is not because these movies necessarily have an agenda against authority (though I am sure some do) but I think, shrewdly, it is more about structuring things so that 'our hero' ends up having to go it alone and win against the big odds in the final reel. How exciting would a movie be where the climax is the main character saying, "Thank God, the police are here. He's over there, officers!" rather than some mano-a-mano punch up?

Heck, it is even why even things like Star Trek movies usually go to great lengths to separate the captain from the rest of the crews and then put him into peril, as opposed to a scene where the captain is backed up by his 50 marines. Or why the Empire ships need to outnumber the Rebel ships for it to be exciting. Or why so many Batman stories have a Detective/Captain/Commissioner Gordon whose police force is undermined by corruption. I don't think that comes out of an ideological slant that police are corrupt. Rather the dramatic need for the police in this story to not be TOO effective. Because then Gotham wouldn't need Batman.

The force of numbers need to be against the hero, not on their side.

I can't speak to this movie as I haven't seen it yet. But I can think of many stories in which the general authorities are either in the wrong, in the way, or not as effective as the main character. Including a lot of the-system-is-wrong-and-the- maverick-lead-bucking-the-system movies that would be a stretch to call left-leaning (Dirty Harry comes to mind).

At the end of the day, I don't think conflict has a liberal bias.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I don't care.....at all
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    edited December 2012
    Wow... I'm feeling a distinct lack of enthusiasm for this trailer...

Not from me personally. I like it a lot. Just surprised the comments have been very limited since its the first time we've seen so much footage.
  • Options
    I haven't watched it yet, as I want to see it big (ahead of Hobbit). I liked the teaser, looking forward to seeing this.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I haven't watched it yet, as I want to see it big (ahead of Hobbit). I liked the teaser, looking forward to seeing this.

Wow. Thats so pure of you. I do love watching previews in theaters but I could never wait to see it in a theater if its something I'm really looking forward to. Especially since I will most definitely not being going to see The Hobbit. If I didn't watch it online I might not see it for months.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

David_D said:

Wow. Thats so pure of you. I do love watching previews in theaters but I could never wait to see it in a theater if its something I'm really looking forward to. Especially since I will most definitely not being going to see The Hobbit. If I didn't watch it online I might not see it for months.
    I think that is the difference for me-- I know I am going to get to the Hobbit this weekend, even if I have to go at midnight or 9 in the morning or something, I will be there.

At other times, when I don't know when I might get to the movies, then I definitely wouldn't wait. If I don't see the new Trek trailer at Hobbit this weekend then I will watch it online. Or if for some reason I don't see the Man of Steel one ahead of Hobbit I will watch it that way.
  • Options
    The guys at IGN dissect the trailer.

http://youtu.be/7KUhsRRSLpU
  • Options
    Planeis said:

David_D said:

My brother won't even watch the previews for any film he's looking forward to seeing, because he wants to be entirely surprised when he watches it. He won't even tolerate anyone talking about it around him before he sees it. (Which, of course, only prompts the rest of us to talk about it in his presence...)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    tazmaniak said:

The guys at IGN dissect the trailer.

http://youtu.be/7KUhsRRSLpU

Thanks, Taz.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I thought the trailer was pretty damn cool.
  • Options
    ok, I may be a little biased, because supes is my fav character, but i think this could be the best super hero movie ever made. I think it looks spot on perfect so far
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    The trailer looks really good but then again, it's just a trailer. However, I remain optimistic.
  • Options
    I was not very excited about this movie UNTIL I saw this trailer. They seem to be taking the classic tropes and Superman mythology and redressing it for a modern audience, but keeping it fairly pure. Pa Kent is particularly interesting to me. Kevin Costner, when he turns it on, can be extremely compelling (as in the Hatfields and McCoys miniseries).

I have high hopes for this.
  • Options
    sigh. sometimes i wish there was a superman.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Planeis said:

sigh. sometimes i wish there was a superman.

That's funny...I'm glad there isn't a person with THAT much power. When the majority of people think about how great it would be to have superpowers and the benefits they'd have, I always like to focus more on the psychological burdens and isolation that also accompanies it. Power can corrupt without superpowers, I don't think I could fully trust anyone with super power. Plus, haven't most people become SO dependent on others already?!

M.
  • Options
    What a strange comment, like I'd want him to buy my groceries or clean mine house?
  • Options
    No, but don't we kind of have this mindset that "I don't want to get involved; someone else will help." What's that saying about evil wins when good men (or people) do nothing?

Maybe people would be even less willing to help others figuring "Superman will."

Though, I still wouldn't put it past people to call for Superman's help for such mundane things as get groceries or clean the house. Hell, there are people who call 911 if the drive-thru clerk tells the customer the restaurant's closed! (I've actually heard some of the calls!!)

M
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Yep. I've heard the 911 calls because McDonald's was out of Chicken McNuggets.

Hell, just think of all the nonsence we expect our government to do for us. If there was an actual Superman around ... pfft.
    "Why can't he plow the great plains and plant wheat by himself? There's hungry people in this world."
    "Why can't he make the "fill in the blank ethnic group/nation" be at peace with "fill in the blank ethnic group/nation"? Babys are dying.
    "Why can't he fly me to work? My knee is acting up."
  • Options
    I saw the trailer at the theater today, and it actually looks a bit better than I expected -- though the costume is still ugly and the feel of the movie is a bit heavier than I might have expected for a Superman film. I'm really afraid of that lack of lightness, but perhaps that 'heaviness' just a false impression given by the preview.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I saw the trailer at the theater today, and it actually looks a bit better than I expected -- though the costume is still ugly and the feel of the movie is a bit heavier than I might have expected for a Superman film. I'm really afraid of that lack of lightness, but perhaps that 'heaviness' just a false impression given by the preview.

I know I've said it before, and I know I've said it again, but I don't like mopey-ass Superman.

You're freaking SUPERMAN!

Put on your big boy pants* and enjoy yourself!

*They're the red ones.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    A nice little examination of SUPERMAN over at The Guardian:

Why is Superman still so popular?

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited January 2013
    batlaw said:

David_D said:

=))
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

A nice little examination of SUPERMAN over at The Guardian:

Why is Superman still so popular?

Superman's popular? :p

• Options
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/26008/-man-of-steel-rating-character-changes

SPOILERS

Dark Horizons has some info on characters including a... Somewhat big change to a longtime character (Not Superman).
  • Options
    Planeis said:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/26008/-man-of-steel-rating-character-changes

SPOILERS

Dark Horizons has some info on characters including a... Somewhat big change to a longtime character (Not Superman).

I haven't checked the link, but I have heard the rumor elsewhere. Truthfully, I have an issue with it. Changing Perry's ethnicity doesn't matter to me. Changing a character's gender feels like its trying to crowbar diversity into the movie. If she's gay, then we know they're trying to open the viewership options.

M
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I have a hard time getting too worked up over any changes to that character because, in all honesty, I can't remember a single thing that character's done in any of the previous Superman films. If changing their gender enables them to come up with something to make them relevant, then fine.
  • Options
    I dont give a sh/t. Not like this is Superman anyway.