Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: General News and Discussion.

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited December 2012
    Took him a while to purge the Kilborn legacy of mean, humiliating "humor".
  • Options
    He lasted longer than I would have. It sounds like a toxic workplace, and I didn't watch the show before he took over...but that "Spy Magazine" humor is very much in the "little goes a long way" style and is more about being smug than being funny.

I love the show's focus now, which pretty much squeezes the "You are saying this now, but you said this then" lemon, which SHOULD be being done back actual news channels.

But they are talk radio with blondes, so why even bother? How sad is it that the best journalism in American TV is being done by a comedy show?

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Colbert, who was with the show during the Kilborn era, has commented before that much of the humor derived from finding poorly educated people, pretending to take their story seriously when you were face to face, and then humiliating them in the editing. That pretty much sums it up. Sometimes it was amusing, but there was definitely an attitude of "look at how stupid these people who don't live in New York or Los Angeles are".

One of the co-creators of the show actually left when Kilborn made a comment in an interview indicating that she should perform a certain sexual act on him. If that's how he was in public, I can only imagine what the work environment was like behind the scenes.

And Stewart's first year was so painful to watch. I remember one night he had the Spice Girls on and he looked like he wanted to crawl under the desk rather than go through with the interview.

I do sometimes miss some of the less newsy segments (Steve Carell's food segment, Stephen Colbert's religion bit), but it's definitely a stronger show now.
  • Options
    Chrisw: I'm pretty sure that was Lizz Winstead, who is a pretty damn brilliant comedian, who should be running a TV show or hosting a talk radio program. She had a show on Air America that was one of my favorites.

Then again, the original Air America lineup was one of my favorites. Marc Maron and Rachel Maddow in the morning, Al Franken in the early afternoon, Randi Rhodes in evening drive. Garafolo in the evening and Malloy late night. Too bad the management was a host of scam artists.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    You're correct, it was Lizz Winstead. I think she also took part in the movie reviews, one of the only segments from the Kilborn era I miss.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I think that the Kilborn-era was meant to be more of a take on local news broadcasts rather than the socio-political pundantry cable news of these times (i.e. more human interest stories less commentary)
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited December 2012
    Extended preview for CBS' upcoming series, Golden Boy.

Edit: The trailer was removed by CBS.
  • Options
    AMC gives a 10-episode series order to Low Winter Sun.

Deadline

Based on the 2006 UK miniseries of the same name, the series moves the setting from Edinburgh to Detroit and starts with the murder of a cop by one of his colleagues. This event changes the culprit's life and leads him to get entangled with Detroit's criminal underworld.

The series will star Mark Strong, reprising his role from the original series. Lennie James, James Ransone, Ruben Santiago Hudson, Sprague Grayden and David Costabile also star.

Chris Mundy will serve as writer, executive producer and showrunner.
  • Options
    First look at A&E's Bates Motel.

http://youtu.be/Nkn5aEadrX4
  • Options
    Kathy Bates is running a motel!? Oh, Misery! I'd watch that!
  • Options

Kathy Bates is running a motel!? Oh, Misery! I'd watch that!

+1 to you sir. +1 indeed.
  • Options
    Cinemax's upcoming action-drama, Banshee, debuts January 11.

Deadline

http://youtu.be/3bopBAOSCpE

Banshee stars Antony Starr as a paroled master thief who ends up assuming the identity of Lucas Hood, the recently murdered sheriff-in-waiting of Banshee, Pa. The town also happens to be the home of his former partner/lover (Ivana Milicevic) who has changed her name to Carrie and remarried years ago.

Keeping his true identity a secret as he awaits forged documents, he plays the role of the sheriff, while still carrying out his criminal activities. Along the way, he inadvertently gets tangled up in the rampant corruption of shunned Amish gangster Kai Proctor (Ulrich Thomsen), while keeping an eye out for Mr. Rabbit (Ben Cross), the New York mob boss who wants revenge against Lucas and Carrie for the jewel heist that landed Lucas in prison.

Banshee was created by authors Jonathan Tropper and David Schickler, who serve as executive producers along with Alan Ball.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I just have to say that this season's Survivor winner was extremely satisfying. Hell, this whole season was. We had genuine surprises, and people who actually came to play. And the final four? All underdogs, all worthy enough to be there.

Hell, this season also showed that returning players and stunt-casting doesn't have to be a bad thing.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163

I just have to say that this season's Survivor winner was extremely satisfying. Hell, this whole season was. We had genuine surprises, and people who actually came to play. And the final four? All underdogs, all worthy enough to be there.

Hell, this season also showed that returning players and stunt-casting doesn't have to be a bad thing.

I totally agree DoctorDoom. I’m not a regular Survivor watcher but I thought I give it a try mainly because of Lisa Whelchel (Facts of Life fan here). I was pleasantly surprised that she got herself together early on and played the game so good. I was happy with the Final 3 and would’ve been happy with any of them winning but I agree that looking at the season as a whole, particularly the final tribal council, the right person won. Plus, my girl Lisa did win the Fan Favorite award.
  • Options
    CBS has renewed How I Met Your Mother for a 9th season.

TNT has canceled Leverage after 5 seasons.

USA has renewed Psych for an 8-episode 8th season.

FX has renewed The League for a 5th season.

TV Land has renewed The Exes for a 3rd season and Soul Man for a 2nd, while cancelling Retired At 35 after 2 seasons.
  • Options
    Trailer for upcoming Netflix original horror/thriller, Hemlock Grove.

"Created by Brian McGreevy and based on his 2012 novel of the same name, the show starts with a young girl being brutally murdered and found near the former Godfrey steel mill. As rumors mount, two of the suspects in her killing--Peter Rumancek, a 17-year-old Gypsy trailer trash kid rumored to be a werewolf, and Roman, the heir to the Godfrey estate--decide to find the killer themselves."

The series stars Famke Janssen, Dougray Scott, Lili Taylor, Bill Skarsgard and Landon Liboiron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlZUsPcChgI&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    Scottish actress, Amy Manson, is reportedly in the running to play Diana in the CW's Amazon.

STV

Her credits include Torchwood, where she played 19th century Torchwood agent, Alice Guppy, during the final 2 episodes of series 2. She also appeared in series 2 of Being Human UK as Daisy.
  • Options
    I had no clue who she is so I looked her up and while she has the height,at least form the pics I've seen,I don't feel she has the build that an Amazon should have. She's a freaking stick that looks as if she could be broken if an any walked on her.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I don't even care anymore, if I ever did.
  • Options
    I'm in a "wait and see" mode when it comes to Amazon. After Smallville, a show that (in my opinion) averaged only about three decent episodes a season, I've been genuinely impressed with Arrow, a show that looked like it was going to be nothing more than "look at this guy's abs!"

Really... with all of the advertisements before the show started, I was pretty sure we were going to see the tale of a superhero that didn't have time to fight crime because he had to do sit-ups.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I'm in a "wait and see" mode when it comes to Amazon. After Smallville, a show that (in my opinion) averaged only about three decent episodes a season, I've been genuinely impressed with Arrow, a show that looked like it was going to be nothing more than "look at this guy's abs!"

Really... with all of the advertisements before the show started, I was pretty sure we were going to see the tale of a superhero that didn't have time to fight crime because he had to do sit-ups.

I'm optimistic. I've never seen any of Allen Heinberg's TV work, which includes Sex and the City, The O.C. and Grey's Anatomy. They're not really my thing. But, I am a big fan of his work on Young Avengers. I think he had a pretty good handle on superheroes and I'm really interested in how he'd handle them in live action.
  • Options
    They also canned that B**** in the apartment upstairs.
  • Options
    The CW has ordered all it's pilots for pilot season. They've ordered 8.

The Originals (The Vampire Diaries spin-off) - The series enters on the Original family of vampires, as Klaus returns to the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter of New Orleans — a town he helped build centuries ago — and is reunited with his diabolical former protégé Marcel.

The Selection - Set 300 years in the future, an epic romance centering on a working class young woman chosen by lottery to participate in a competition with 25 other women for the Royal Prince’s hand to become the nation’s next queen. Balancing her loyalty to family, true love, and kingdom, she must attempt to remain true to herself as she navigates the cutthroat competition and palace intrigue, all while a budding rebellion threatens to topple the crown.

Company Town - A scandal at a Naval base in Virginia touches the lives of both civilians and military personnel in the area, launching into a multigenerational, multi-class, family and relationship series centered around two early twentysomething women who grew up together, were once best friends, but now are on opposite sides of the townie/military divide.

The Hundred - The series is set 97 years after a nuclear war has destroyed civilization. A spaceship housing the lone human survivors sends 100 juvenile delinquents back to Earth to investigate the possibility of re-colonizing the planet.

Reign - The previously unknown and untold story of Mary Queen of Scots rise to power when she arrives in France as a 15-year-old, betrothed to Prince Francis, and with her three best friends as ladies-in-waiting. The secret history of survival at French Court amidst fierce foes, dark forces, and a world of sexual intrigue.

Oxygen - Passion and politics threaten the peace and an epic romance ignites between a human girl and an alien boy when he and eight others of his kind (The Orion 9) are integrated into a suburban high school ten years after they and hundreds of others landed on Earth and were immediately consigned to an internment camp where they’ve been imprisoned ever since.

Tomorrow People - the story of several young people from around the world who represent the next stage in human evolution, possessing special powers, including the ability to teleport and communicate with each other telepathically. Together they work to defeat the forces of evil.

Blink - a warm, quirky, humorous drama about a family whose lives are forever changed, for better and worse, when the patriarch has a car accident resulting in a coma like syndrome where he cannot speak or move, but can see and hear all. His narration and fantasy sequences emanating from his mind provide context and a wry counterpoint to the stories and conflicts of the family and his own situation.

The network has decided not to order a pilot for Amazon, but will roll it to next pilot season. Word is The CW felt the project needed more development.
  • Options
    I'm sensing an interest in young females, 18 - 25 yrs, on the CW's part...
  • Options
    I'm thinking Reign might be interesting if it were done by the BBC...
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Tomorrow People - the story of several young people from around the world who represent the next stage in human evolution, possessing special powers, including the ability to teleport and communicate with each other telepathically. Together they work to defeat the forces of evil.

Isn't this the second time this show has been remade? I seem to remember it being on Nick back in the 80s.