Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mike Gallagher kicked off the show

Comments

• Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Looking at the CGS Episodes page there are 13 episodes for November and 9 so far in December. I think the above "lucky they still make the podcast" statement is a bit of hyperbole, yes. :) It may not be the days of five episodes a week but to be fair, that hasn't been the case for a long time now. Rock on, Geeks!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    RepoMan said:

Looking at the CGS Episodes page there are 13 episodes for November and 9 so far in December. I think the above "lucky they still make the podcast" statement is a bit of hyperbole, yes. :) It may not be the days of five episodes a week but to be fair, that hasn't been the case for a long time now. Rock on, Geeks!

CGS ebbs and flows. Right before Deemer took his break it had gotten to where I would wait weeks before listening to new episodes. Then the show got fun again,no offense to Mr Deemer but the last month or so he was on regularly he seemed to be getting burnt out on comics. But the last 8 weeks might be the topics,but besides teh Uncle Sal episode I wait weeks to listen to them again.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited December 2012
    dubbat138 said:

RepoMan said:

CGS ebbs and flows. Right before Deemer took his break it had gotten to where I would wait weeks before listening to new episodes. Then the show got fun again,no offense to Mr Deemer but the last month or so he was on regularly he seemed to be getting burnt out on comics. But the last 8 weeks might be the topics,but besides teh Uncle Sal episode I wait weeks to listen to them again.
    I knew Marvel NOW! would kill us!!

Now I feel tasked with examining the topics between that timeframe & the ones within the last 8 weeks to see what changed. Criticism rolls off the back, but I always enjoy feedback to help craft better shows.

M
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    RepoMan said:

Do bear in mind that two of the Geeks (Pants & Murd) work in retail and that does mean that they have increased hours during the Holiday season.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The show has been great. Matt, and any of the other geeeks reading this, keep up the good work. You are all giving honest opinions, doing great interviews, and having interesting comic discussions..that is what CGS has always been about.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The show has been great. Matt, and any of the other geeeks reading this, keep up the good work. You are all giving honest opinions, doing great interviews, and having interesting comic discussions..that is what CGS has always been about.

Well, then let me be the to say thanks for listening & the positive feedback. There's still more great episodes to come.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

dubbat138 said:

RepoMan said:

Now I feel tasked with examining the topics between that timeframe & the ones within the last 8 weeks to see what changed. Criticism rolls off the back, but I always enjoy feedback to help craft better shows.

M
    Marvel Now is part of the reason. I don't really keep up with current comics at all. Outside of a few series. None of which are part of Marvel or the proper DC universe. Another part is I miss stuff like Book of the Month,Introducing and other types of shows yall haven't done in awhile now. I understand that everyone is busy. Basically the shows right after Deemer took his leave of absence were A- shows. And currently the show is at B-. So they are still good,and hell they are free.

• Options
    I completely agree that it ebbs and flows. There was a time a few years ago where it seemed like ALL they talked about was selling off their collections and how they weren't excited about comics any more. Anything that lasts this long will have ups and downs.

I also think that cutting back a bit on the number of episodes has made it a better show.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Matt said:

dubbat138 said:

RepoMan said:

M
    Marvel Now is part of the reason. I don't really keep up with current comics at all. Outside of a few series. None of which are part of Marvel or the proper DC universe. Another part is I miss stuff like Book of the Month,Introducing and other types of shows yall haven't done in awhile now. I understand that everyone is busy. Basically the shows right after Deemer took his leave of absence were A- shows. And currently the show is at B-. So they are still good,and hell they are free.

Interesting. I do recall the Introducing & BOMC episodes. That was something that got left behind after Pete took his leave.

Well, now I really feel tasked with looking at the topics & shows since B took his sabbatical from the show. Please let me know if there was a specific point that since the summer that took us from A- to a B-.

Thanks for the feedback,
    M

• Options
    Matt said:

dubbat138 said:

Matt said:

dubbat138 said:

RepoMan said:

M

Interesting. I do recall the Introducing & BOMC episodes. That was something that got left behind after Pete took his leave.

Well, now I really feel tasked with looking at the topics & shows since B took his sabbatical from the show. Please let me know if there was a specific point that since the summer that took us from A- to a B-.

Thanks for the feedback,
    M

It is mainly cause the shows are focusing on stuff I am not reading or not that interested in. Still a fun show. Plus it seems like Pants has lost some of his zeal currently. I understand why,working retail will do that to anyone during the holiday season.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    Hey, I'm grateful for the free entertainment. Thanks guys!
  • Options
    I'm sorry Mike had to go, but for whatever reason he is no longer part of the podcast and such is life.

I have zero interest in trying to delve into why, and I have zero interest in trying to grill any of the guys for something they have done purely out of passion for so many years.

It remains the highest quality podcast in comic-dom. Period.

For me CGS remains like a regular conversation with like minded people about something I have a renewed passion for.

Viva la renaissance.. !
  • Options

mrfusion said:

free? bah...humbug...this evil show made me buy lots and lots of books over the years....
    Yeah CGS got me to buy lots of great trades. And then there is Hush,what a pile of steaming monkey feces.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    dubbat138 said:

mrfusion said:

free? bah...humbug...this evil show made me buy lots and lots of books over the years....
    Yeah CGS got me to buy lots of great trades. And then there is Hush,what a pile of steaming monkey feces.

They covered Hush, and spoke of it favorably?

If so, what episode would this be? (or at least, point me in a certain hundreds :p)

• Options

dubbat138 said:

mrfusion said:

If so, what episode would this be? (or at least, point me in a certain hundreds :p)

I don't recall that either. Must have because I didn't over care for it.

M
  • Options
    NKQNKQ Posts: 24
    One of the reasons I love the CGS podcast is that I learn about comics I think I may never read. I may not have an interest in a certain topic, but that doesn't mean I'll stop listening! I may never have read a Walking Dead comic if not for the podcast. Or sought out a Nexus trade. I had no interest in Marvel's NOW series but "now" I may have to check into that mess...all because I listened to CGS. I've never attended a convention but I'm certainly entertained by the convention episodes. And it's because the crew is passionate about comics and their friendships.

I listen to Peter's solo podcast for the same reason: I may "learn" something new while being entertained. There is not one CGS episode that wasn't entertaining or educational, or both. If the CGS crew wants to talk about farm machinery or the weather, I'm right there because it will be entertaining. The consistency of the show's quality over so many episodes is amazing. No one can take that away from the crew.
  • Options
    Koen said:

but I must admit that the show has gotten weaker since Bryan Deemer has taken a break

To each his own, I guess. Bryan returned recently and was nothing but negative, and mean, and critical without substance. I enjoy the upbeat and optimistic show that Pants creates without Bryan's influence.
  • Options

Koen said:

but I must admit that the show has gotten weaker since Bryan Deemer has taken a break

To each his own, I guess. Bryan returned recently and was nothing but negative, and mean, and critical without substance. I enjoy the upbeat and optimistic show that Pants creates without Bryan's influence.
    I'm not caught up in episodes yet. What has he been negative/mean/critical about?
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

mrfusion said:

No idea what episodes it was. But I clearly remember Rios and someone else praising it. So I got the two trades for X-mas. Read them once hated them. Then sold them for the cost of shipping.
  • Options
    Been a long time since I've checked in on CGS and I find out my favorite voice from the show is gone. :( Super bummed out. There goes plans to check out new episodes.
  • Options

I'm not caught up in episodes yet. What has he been negative/mean/critical about?

The art or writing (mostly art) in the comics that they were discussing. Instead of making constructive criticisms or justifying his "thumbs down," he'd say things like "atrocious" or whatever. Ya know, just mean, intensely negative, unsubstantiated comments about the hard work of comics creators, in my opinion. In recent Bryan-free episodes, the gang would say something like, "Ah, this just isn't for me." Then Bryan comes on and spews venom in lots of directions. Ya know, he could've just stated that Mike Allred's art style and artistic choices just aren't his cup of tea. Instead, he said something like, "I wish this comic had been published as a script only, because the art is atrocious." That's just mean and irrational. If Allred's art really was "atrocious," then he wouldn't be enjoying the long and successful career that he has had.

Obviously, this is very subjective, and I have no interest in replaying the episode to provide you with direct quotes, but suffice to say that the tone of the episode was palpably different, and much more negative than in recent months (again, in my opinion). And that's not my cup of tea.

• Options

Perhapse a little late.
  • Options
    KoenKoen Posts: 11

Koen said:

I'm a longtime listener of GCS and between 2007 and 2011 I think I listened to the show almost every day. There are even 20-30 episodes I will never erase. I loved the fact that a guy like Bryan (and Mike) broadened their horizons with independent comics, manga and European stuff. The fact that they have a more objective view on superhero comics made it a more interesting show to listen to for me. Bryan is such a cool, inspiring guy and I find it such a pity his interests, duties and time went elsewhere. The fact that Mike got thrown off the show, I'll never get that. The last year I discovered some other great podcasts because of CGS interesting me less and less, despite the fact that I think the CGS-geeks are great guys. Where Monsters Dwell is certainly my favorite podcast now. Hopefully listening to Mike on his own The Nerdhub will be as good as it was on CGS. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

mrfusion said:

No idea what episodes it was. But I clearly remember Rios and someone else praising it. So I got the two trades for X-mas. Read them once hated them. Then sold them for the cost of shipping.
    My condolences.

Although I loved the art. And the Hush/Jason Todd costume.
  • Options

The art or writing (mostly art) in the comics that they were discussing. Instead of making constructive criticisms or justifying his "thumbs down," he'd say things like "atrocious" or whatever. Ya know, just mean, intensely negative, unsubstantiated comments about the hard work of comics creators, in my opinion. In recent Bryan-free episodes, the gang would say something like, "Ah, this just isn't for me." Then Bryan comes on and spews venom in lots of directions. Ya know, he could've just stated that Mike Allred's art style and artistic choices just aren't his cup of tea. Instead, he said something like, "I wish this comic had been published as a script only, because the art is atrocious." That's just mean and irrational. If Allred's art really was "atrocious," then he wouldn't be enjoying the long and successful career that he has had.

Obviously, this is very subjective, and I have no interest in replaying the episode to provide you with direct quotes, but suffice to say that the tone of the episode was palpably different, and much more negative than in recent months (again, in my opinion). And that's not my cup of tea.

I see. Thanks. I'm sure I'll hear it for myself when I catch up.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

mrfusion said:

My condolences.

I didn't care for Hush either, and thought it was a predictable, overblown and overlong story arc with Lee's usual highly detailed but cold art. I didn't even like the character of Hush; it took Paul Dini to actually make the character interesting.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

mrfusion said:

My condolences.

I didn't care for Hush either, and thought it was a predictable, overblown and overlong story arc with Lee's usual highly detailed but cold art. I didn't even like the character of Hush; it took Paul Dini to actually make the character interesting.
    Hush felt like something a 12 year old comic fan would come up with while bored in school. And Lee's artwork is all splashes and has very little storytelling in ti.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I got the Absolute HUSH............

....so ya'll better Hush!

:-w