Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best Trade/Hardcover/OGN you read this week

Comments

• Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Just finished RED SON by Mark Millar (Via Comixology's recent Superman 101 sale.) I really, really enjoyed this Elseworlds story. A very unique take on the things. I wasn't familiar with the artists, but it was well done.
  • Options
    kgforce said:

Just finished RED SON by Mark Millar (Via Comixology's recent Superman 101 sale.) I really, really enjoyed this Elseworlds story. A very unique take on the things. I wasn't familiar with the artists, but it was well done.

Dave Johnson. Has done a lot of covers over the years. I believe he did the Wonder Man series for Marvel back in the 90's.
  • Options
    Grandville: Bete Noir by Bryan Talbot, the just-released third volume in the series. Anthropmorphics, steampunk, victorian detective noir, alternate histories, and Toad Hall... all in one volume. Beautiful art, wonderful story.
  • Options
    Zhurrie said:

Ichiro. Simply stunning art and a great story. This is way under the radar but really should have been on everyone's list.

www.echitrakatha.com
  • Options

this is on of the Indian Freedom Fighter ......... great comic
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Read the most recent Unwritten TPB, War of the Words. Really interesting stuff!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited December 2012

kgforce said:

Dave Johnson. Has done a lot of covers over the years. I believe he did the Wonder Man series for Marvel back in the 90's.
    ...which only goes to show how much I know! That was Jeff Johnson who did Wonder Man, not Dave.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited December 2012
    FF #1-16 - meh. A lot of over my head jargon but it was fun.

Scarlet Spider #1-6 - the first four were fun, but it seemed to get a little tired by 5 and six. I'll probably borrow the second trade volume from the library.

Also caught up on my The Unwritten trades (up to vol. 6). Now that's a good read.

On to finishing The Sandman Vol. 8-10!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Read the first volume of SAGA - after having read the first single back when it came out I knew this will be good. Was hard to wait for the trade. And it's now even harder to keep waiting for the next trade. Maybe I'll go single for this one....

This book's defintely in my top 10
  • Options
    Glad to see Unwritten is getting some love. I'm reading this in singles rather than trades, but it's one of my favorites.
  • Options
    Getting caught up on a lot of trades over Christmas. The stack is looking much more respectable! Some standouts so far were:

Absolute Final Crisis - the additions to the final issue in particular make this a much better read than the original. Highly recommended.

Unwritten - the latest tpb was amazing. This series just seems to be going from strength to strength. I'm hoping it gets a long run.

Scalped - finally read the last trade. Masterful finish to an amazing story. How this hasn't been picked up by a HBO or and FX as a tv series absolutely confounds me.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - this was re-released as a two volume hardcover in a slipcase by Viz a month or two back. Only halfway through but it's really one of the strongest manga I've read.

Fables: Wolves of the Heartland - not terribly impressed with this. Story was so so. Not a fan of the art and I thought the colouring was appallingly poor. It's the first time Fables has been a disappointment for me.
  • Options

Fables: Wolves of the Heartland - not terribly impressed with this. Story was so so. Not a fan of the art and I thought the colouring was appallingly poor. It's the first time Fables has been a disappointment for me.

Just finished that myself, and I agree for the most part. I think part of the problem with the art was that there were two pencilers, Craig Hamilton and Jim Fern, with two very different styles. Hamilton is much more ornate and delicate, along the lines of P. Craig Russell, while Jim Fern is more kinetic and gritty. Fern would have been the natural choice for a story about werewolves, but his art really clashed with Hamilton’s. And it didn't help that four people inked the book, including Hamilton and Fern themselves. The art as a whole was just too inconsistent, and it was sometimes hard to tell the werewolves apart even in their human form.

The story was not one of Willingham’s best, but it's obviously setting something up for the future. The pacing seemed a little off to me though.

I didn’t really have a problem with the coloring. It looked a little washed out, but better that than overly dark and muddy.

Overall I'd give it a three out of five.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    I read two that I enjoyed a lot. Fables volume 1. I will have to buy the entire trade collection now. Loved it. Chew volume 6. I cannot believe how this ended. I was in complete shock.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I'm working my way through the beautiful Nausicaa two-volume slipcase set this week. What an amazing story.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Finished four volumes of Dr. Who I got some time ago from Comixology. They were fun and should hold me over until the next part of season 7 begins. :D
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    kfreeman said:

I'm working my way through the beautiful Nausicaa two-volume slipcase set this week. What an amazing story.

yep - Nausicaa is another masterpiece by Hayao Miyazaki - and this new collection almost made it unto my best of 2012 list. But I've read the story years ago in German. Glad that it has found a "new" and wider audience in the US. Well deserved.

The movie version is also highly recommended

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

kfreeman said:

yep - Nausicaa is another masterpiece by Hayao Miyazaki - and this new collection almost made it unto my best of 2012 list. But I've read the story years ago in German. Glad that it has found a "new" and wider audience in the US. Well deserved.

The movie version is also highly recommended

I first saw Nausicaa on VHS when it was titled Warriors of the Wind. Want to say it was also badly edited. Wasn't until the early 90s I got ahold of a fan subbed tape. That was uncut and saw how great it was.
  • Options
    BListerBLister Posts: 23
    Currently making my way through volume 4 of the Starman Omnibi.
  • Options
    "Paying For It" by Chester Brown. An interesting exploration of and defense for legalized prostitution based on the author's personal experiences. Very thought provoking and interesting reading.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174
    Creature Tech by Doug TenNapel - fun read, beautifully drawn, can't ask for more than that, worth every minute I spent reading it, wish there was more
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Just finished Blackest Night tpb. Loved it. Really enjoyed getting to know a bit more of all the lantern corps, not reading a lot of green lantern books. I'd really like to pick up Brightest Day now and continue with Johns massive story arc. Also really enjoyed Barry Allen in this, as well as seeing some of the other heroes as lanterns. I'd like to see more of Jonathan Crane as a yellow lantern to. That could provide some cool stories.

What i also enjoyed about reading this was following along the issues while listening to the CGS episodes on it too. Which were all really enjoyable. I liked the whole listener special guest thing too. @Pants I'd love to see you bring this feature back. Even if it was only for top 5's or other special episodes maybe.
  • Options
    Baltimore The Plague Ships and Curse Bells (vols. 1 and 2 respectively). I am in a phase of my literary life where vampires just aren't super appealing, but these books were excellent. Everything in the BPRD universe seems to find its way into my heart and wallet, and I like to think that's just fine.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    All Star Western Vol. 1 - Although I may rail against the darkness encroaching on DCU books in other threads, I think that sort of storytelling worked really well here. Of course, the previous volume of Jonah Hex was dark as hell, too, and really, his books have always been gritty and violent... reading the Showcase volume of the original series, I was surprised how much of that got past the Comics Code.

Anyway, I was afraid this book was going to get bogged down by being tied in so much to early Gotham with its ties to what was going on concurrently in both Batman and Batwoman, but it was a nice change to see Jonah having to deal with a "fish out of water" situation and have to adapt (not that the people of Gotham end up being any different than anywhere else he goes), and I got a kick out of his pairing with Amadeus Arkham. Holmes and Watson they ain't, but they worked together entertainingly. Looking forward to picking up the next volume now.
  • Options
    Captain Marvel: First Contact, by Peter David & Chris Cross. Fun and silly superhero stuff. This is the start of the PAD Captain Marvel run (don't think any more of it is traded, though).

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Fables volume 18: Cubs In Toyland. Brings back that tingle of special magic that a lot of the earlier volumes enjoyed, with some genuinely scary scenarios regarding a land of lost toys, a lost little girl and her brother's ill-fated attempts to rescue her. While I generally enjoy the series regardless, this volume was much sharper than the previous few and difficult to put down until it was finished.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Fables volume 18: Cubs In Toyland. Brings back that tingle of special magic that a lot of the earlier volumes enjoyed, with some genuinely scary scenarios regarding a land of lost toys, a lost little girl and her brother's ill-fated attempts to rescue her. While I generally enjoy the series regardless, this volume was much sharper than the previous few and difficult to put down until it was finished.

I completely agree. Best Fables storyline since “March of the Wooden Soldiers.”
  • Options

Read the first volume of SAGA - after having read the first single back when it came out I knew this will be good. Was hard to wait for the trade. And it's now even harder to keep waiting for the next trade. Maybe I'll go single for this one....

This book's defintely in my top 10

YES! This book is so good that I picked it up in singles and still ordered the trade for the bookshelf!
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Avengers Academy: Fear Itself. I'm a fan of this event and this was a strong supporting book. I enjoyed Academy tremendously though my teenage son never took to it.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I read the first issue of Saga digitally and wasn't thrilled with it. But a lot of my friends who I trust said, "keep reading it. It gets much better!" I bought the first trade and it is sitting in my pile. I will let you know soon what I think.