Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best Trade/Hardcover/OGN you read this week

Comments

• Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    kfreeman said:

I read the first issue of Saga digitally and wasn't thrilled with it. But a lot of my friends who I trust said, "keep reading it. It gets much better!" I bought the first trade and it is sitting in my pile. I will let you know soon what I think.

I read the first issue of Saga and also was unimpressed. But I then read the first TPB and liked it A LOT better.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I just finished the first Saga trade this week, and while the amount of sexuality in the book feels unnecessary to me, the characters have really sucked me into the story. This isn't a simple black-versus-white, good-versus-evil sort of story. Even the merciless killers earn some sympathy, and all the players have been given some depth and complexity. There’s an air of mystery behind the two main characters and their pasts and what led them to where they are when we meet them.

But the main thing I like about the book is the blending of genres. Not just the fantasy/sci-fi mash-up, but the elements of horror and comedy—both the romantic and the road trip varieties. It's just a lot of fun, and there’s a feeling that just about anything could happen next.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I really, really wanted to like the first Saga trade, but it just didn't do it for me. I can't even put my finger on what it was exactly because it's not that I really disliked it - story was alright, art was fantastic - but it just didn't gel for me. Might be another case of "readership praise disproportionate to my level enjoyment," which has done in more than a few otherwise-decent-but-not-for-me comics, books, movies, TV shows, etc.

However, the first issue just fetched nearly $70 for me on eBay, so I love it for that. \:D/
  • Options
    Read Adventure Time Vol. 1 this week and it blew my little mind. It's rare enough these days to find a licensed book that's actually pretty good, but to find one that's as good as anything that has actually appeared on the show it spun off from is downright amazing. Fun story, lots of great visual gags, some Easter eggs, and even a little world-building that answers some questions I've had about the show (which may actually be answered on the show, but I've only recently discovered it and I haven't got much past season 1 yet). It makes good use of the comics medium, too, using smaller comics at the bottom of the page as asides to show us what other characters are doing, and even some running commentary from the creators in the white space at the very bottom. Excellent work from all involved.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

I really, really wanted to like the first Saga trade, but it just didn't do it for me. I can't even put my finger on what it was exactly because it's not that I really disliked it - story was alright, art was fantastic - but it just didn't gel for me. Might be another case of "readership praise disproportionate to my level enjoyment," which has done in more than a few otherwise-decent-but-not-for-me comics, books, movies, TV shows, etc.

However, the first issue just fetched nearly $70 for me on eBay, so I love it for that. \:D/

Don't worry. We like you anyway.
  • Options

Too much going on perhaps? There are three separate threads to the story, and so far the threads haven't really come together yet.

Or the characterizations maybe? Early on (the first couple of issues) in the trade, the characters all felt a little too cool and hip to me, but that eventually passed.

Just curious. And I've been thinking about getting the Adventure Time trade. My daughter like the show a lot, and I've grown to enjoy it too. I may go ahead and pick that up now.
  • Options

whoa!!! Really? I own #1!!! Thanks for the head's up - I had no idea it was going so high. ka-ching!!! :^)

e
    L nny

• Options

Too much going on perhaps? There are three separate threads to the story, and so far the threads haven't really come together yet.

Or the characterizations maybe? Early on (the first couple of issues) in the trade, the characters all felt a little too cool and hip to me, but that eventually passed.

Just curious. And I've been thinking about getting the Adventure Time trade. My daughter like the show a lot, and I've grown to enjoy it too. I may go ahead and pick that up now.

Not so much the first, Eric (I enjoy watching disparate story threads come together), but maybe a little of the second. Everyone was pretty self-consciously hip, which does grate on me (just as telling people they're adults makes folks seem less adult, there is nothing less cool than trying to demonstrate coolness)... even disemboweled ghost girl came off this way sometimes.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Universal War One & Universal War One: Revelations, by Denis Bajram. Just read the 2 HC's that make up this series - from Marvel's Soleil line - by Denis Barjam. Excellent hard science fiction. Art was very nice! The 2 books make up a single complete story (it was published in France as 6 volumes, each of the HC's collects 3 of the volumes). Highly recommended.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    ctowner1 said:

Universal War One & Universal War One: Revelations, by Denis Bajram. Just read the 2 HC's that make up this series - from Marvel's Soleil line - by Denis Barjam. Excellent hard science fiction. Art was very nice! The 2 books make up a single complete story (in was published in France as 6 volumes, each of the HC collects 3 of the volumes). Highly recommended.

e
    L nny

I've read the series as it came out (French) - as it is custom over here, there has been quite some waiting between the volumes. Bought the first one back in 1998 - the last one around 2005. Of course each time I re-started the reading process :D

• Options

Not so much the first, Eric (I enjoy watching disparate story threads come together), but maybe a little of the second. Everyone was pretty self-consciously hip, which does grate on me (just as telling people they're adults makes folks seem less adult, there is nothing less cool than trying to demonstrate coolness)... even disemboweled ghost girl came off this way sometimes.
    Yeah, that was the only problem I had with it, and it was only a minor issue for me really. I really like the way the characters were presented outside of that minor quibble. I like the fact that they all seem to have interesting back stories which we only get glimpses of here and there.

• Options
    I'm in the midst of "Lobster Johnson TPB Vol. 2: The Burning Hand" and really enjoying this tale. Very pulpy-type story.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    The Manhattan Projects vol 1. I loved this book! I already preordered volume 2. Can't wait to get it.
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78
    OK, this is not a graphic novel but is a self contained story so I consider it to be in the same category. Batman and Robin Annual #1. It was an entertaining story and showed how both Bruce and Damian are growing and furthering their relationship together. Plus the art was fantastic!
  • Options
    fxmatt said:

OK, this is not a graphic novel but is a self contained story so I consider it to be in the same category. Batman and Robin Annual #1. It was an entertaining story and showed how both Bruce and Damian are growing and furthering their relationship together. Plus the art was fantastic!

I think that would still go under the category of "Best Single Issue You Read This Week".
  • Options
    Finally got to Manhattan Projects vol. 1, and it was a really fun read. I can’t say I’m a huge fan of Pitarra’s artwork, but it’s serviceable and he’s good at conveying the characters’ moods and expressions. The writing, as one has come to expect from Hickman, has moments of brilliance—I particularly like what he did with the IRL mystery surrounding Oppenheimer’s “J” initial which didn’t really stand for anything—and is fast-paced and filled with crazy ideas. I’ll definitely keep getting this one.
  • Options
    I read Blankets by Craig Thompson last night. It took a while to really get me interested, but I am glad I stayed with it because I thoroughly enjoyed this huge book. @nweathington, I am in full agreement with you in regards to Pitarra's artwork for that book. I have seen reviews that say it just adds to the zany goodness, but it detracts from the clever writing when I read it.
  • Options

I read Blankets by Craig Thompson last night. It took a while to really get me interested, but I am glad I stayed with it because I thoroughly enjoyed this huge book. @nweathington, I am in full agreement with you in regards to Pitarra's artwork for that book. I have seen reviews that say it just adds to the zany goodness, but it detracts from the clever writing when I read it.

I will say that Pitarra’s work has improved since Red Wing, the only other work of his I’ve seen. His storytelling is pretty good, but his anatomy—especially the way he draws hands—needs some work. He’s shown spots of really nice drawing, so I think he’ll continue to improve as the series goes along.
  • Options
    I helped out a friend at a local con over the weekend and he gave me a copy of the first volume of The Unwritten by Mike Carey and Peter Gross. I was very favorably impressed and intrigued. I can't fit it into my budget at the present, but I'm adding the series to my must-get list, hoping to pick up more of the trades eventually.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Okay, I gave SAGA another chance as a result of all the praise given to it here. I read the first trade, but I just couldn't get into the storyline at all. I tried, and wanted to like it. I guess it was just not my thing.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm currently in the middle of "The Great Darkness Saga" and it's rocking my world.

Yes, I'm only just now getting to it. Leave me alone.
  • Options
    Just finished up The Stuff of Legend Book 3 last night, and it continues to be a great read. A new character shows up in this volume who is rather one-dimensional but intriguing none the less. And there's a superb twist at the end. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Solomon Kane the castle of the devil

Based on a fragment written by Robert E. Howard,this is the best Solomon Kane comic I have read so far. It really captures the feel of the old Kane pulp stories.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Green Arrow The Longbow Hunters tpb is a simple tale of Green Arrow back to the basics -- no trick arrows, no kid gloves w/ the criminals & set in the real world for a mature audience. Mike Grell's art style is simple yet detailed on certain panels but is undervalued when compared to other artists in the late 1980s. His writing is just shy of excellent, he gives you a story that doesn't insult your intelligence. I give it an 8 out of 10 overall rating.

Matthew
  • Options
    JLA Strength in Numbers. Next up is Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Menace.
  • Options
    mguy1977 said:

Green Arrow The Longbow Hunters tpb is a simple tale of Green Arrow back to the basics -- no trick arrows, no kid gloves w/ the criminals & set in the real world for a mature audience. Mike Grell's art style is simple yet detailed on certain panels but is undervalued when compared to other artists in the late 1980s. His writing is just shy of excellent, he gives you a story that doesn't insult your intelligence. I give it an 8 out of 10 overall rating.

Matthew

Not my favorite version of GA, but still an excellent series nonetheless.
  • Options
    BLister said:

JLA Strength in Numbers. Next up is Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Menace.

Bucky O’Hare isn’t the greatest story in the world, but it’s lighthearted and entertaining enough. The real draw for the book is Michael Golden’s superb artwork. I hope you enjoy it.
  • Options
    mguy1977 said:

Matthew

This is one of my all-time favorites, and the book that got me hooked on reading comics. I am glad someone else is enjoying it too!
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Just finished reading the first volume of Naoki Urasawa's 21st Century Boys! Only one more volume to go--can't wait for the ending!
  • Options

I helped out a friend at a local con over the weekend and he gave me a copy of the first volume of The Unwritten by Mike Carey and Peter Gross. I was very favorably impressed and intrigued. I can't fit it into my budget at the present, but I'm adding the series to my must-get list, hoping to pick up more of the trades eventually.

The Unwritten is a great mystery wrapped up in the literary world. I've read the first 5 trades, and have really enjoyed them.