Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Discussion of picks "unofficial" CGS BOMC readers club thread

I started up a separate thread for the pick Weapon X. In this thread we will be for deciding what picks will be in the future among the group. All opinions are welcome for future picks. However we are NOT doing discussions on books that the geeks have already talked about in past CGS BOMC episodes.

In the the last week of discussion, from May 11 to May 17 something from DC or indie will be chosen with everyone's suggestions welcomed.

Thank you.

Matthew

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited April 2012
    Okay Mike feel free to add a suggestion or two to get the ball rolling.

Matthew
  • Options
    Since I have never read much Wolverine but enjoyed "old school" Uncanny but wanted the origin of Wolverine even if it isn't in continuity today.

My choice is
    Weapon X from Barry Windsor-Smith

Matthew
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I'd do Weapon X. Some other suggestions (don't know which of these have been on the show... well, there are a few that I would suggest that I know have been on the show, so these are only the ones that I either know weren't or am not sure) I think the best thing to do is throw out a bunch of suggestions and see what the most people agree on. Or maybe it's not the best thing to do, but it's what I'm about to do lol.

Fortune and Glory
    Whiteout
    Morning Glories vol. 1
    Uncanny X-Force the Dark Angel Saga
    Criminal Vol 1
    Batman Son of the Demon (or any of the "of the Demon" books - actually I think they're collecting all of those together soon, so maybe if you like this one, it should wait)
    Runaways vol 1 (which I think is Pride and Joy, but I'm not 100%)
    Iron Man Extremis
    Star Wars Dark Empire
    Whatever the best collection of Walt Simonson's Thor is
    G.I. Joe Cobra vol. 1
    X-Men Alpha Flight Asguardian Wars
    Batman: Prey (there were rumors that this was what The Dark Knight Rises would be based on - probably not true, but a good story nonetheless)
    Ex Machina vol. 1
    Capwolf
    Actually for a more serious Captain America suggestion, Waid/Garney's first run on Cap before Heroes Reborn. I don't know what the TPB collection of that is called, but I know it was good.
    Was the Kree/Skrull war ever done on the show?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The Avengers Kree/Skrull War was a BOMC selection in episode #504 & Criminal first arc was a BOMC selection in episode 571.

My advice Kyle is scale back your list to 2 or 3 choices.

http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/episodes.php

On the right there is a window Book of the Month tab just under Interviews.

Of your selections, I have already read Criminal vol. 1 (i read the Criminal trades previously & now I have the Deluxe Edition) & Ex Machina vol. 1 (I read the first trade but it wasn't to my liking) I enjoyed Y The Last Man more. I have the Batman Son of the Demon OGN (it looks slightly bigger than a regular trade it is a old copy) & I also have a copy of Batman Tales of the Demon tpb on my bookshelf wanting to be read.

Batman Prey tpb is a backup choice down the road. I checked Amazon & a new printing of that is coming out in June. With the word Batman & Prey then checked Batman Monech I got a lot of Birds of Prey or Batman selections but not the one I was looking for on IST.

Matthew
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I'll join in!
    me 2

• Options
    John fill free to add a few choices to the list.

Also is Weapon X a book you would consider reading?

Thanks.

Matthew
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Reading mainly (I'd say around 70%) European, Asian and/or Indie comics I've still got many books from the big 2 I haven't read yet. And since I'm in it for the discussions, I don't really care what you guys choose. I'm not too snobbish ;)

And sure, I'd read Weapon X - would be a first read for me.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Thanks John. In a few days say Friday morning, if there is no major backlash to Weapon X being chosen then that will be likely be the pick but it is currently NOT set in stone. I want to be fair to others & have their voices added.

Matthew
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Count me in. I've not read Weapon X in its entirety and at this moment I don't have any other suggestions.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Welcome aboard Greg & tommyheroes. Thanks for giving your voice & support to Weapon X.

Matthew
  • Options
    I would definitely be in and have never read Weapon X.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    sounds like fun to me and no problem with weapon X if i'd read it it's been long enough i forgot
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    If I still have my Weapon X collection I would love to read it again. Will check when I get back home.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Sounds like fun! I'm in.

Also, not to try and steal sales away from IST, but if anyone does subscribe to Marvel's Digital Comics Unlimited they do have MCP issues 72-84 available.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    How about Sandman? Has this been done yet? If not, why?
  • Options
    @fredzilla,nah the CGS guys have never done Sandman. But it is at least to me,a long hard read now. The series hasn't aged that well in my eyes. Mainly certain storylines seem padded out.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    How about?
    Any of the Atomic Robo trades?
    Abe Sapien: The Drowning?
    Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder: In The Service of Angel?
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    @fredzilla,nah the CGS guys have never done Sandman. But it is at least to me,a long hard read now. The series hasn't aged that well in my eyes. Mainly certain storylines seem padded out.
    I will agree that some of the stories show their age, but I think the "long hard read" is part of what qualifies a BOMC book. There are stronger trades in the series than others, but every trade I've read has almost instantly sucked me in. In full disclosure, I am an English teacher, so much of series appeals to me on that level too. I've been getting all the re-released, remastered editions recently and I'm loving them all.

• Options
    How about?
    Any of the Atomic Robo trades?
    Abe Sapien: The Drowning?
    Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder: In The Service of Angel?
    Well the first trade of Atomic Robo was discussed on episode 618 of CGS. The 3rd trade of Atomic Robo is out of print.

Oddly enough I read the 1st issue of the series digitally free on coxicology today. It was up my ally.

Matthew
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Maus?
    I have MAUS I & II on my shelf. It would be a challenge but given valid consideration.

Matthew

• Options
    edited April 2012
    How about Sandman? Has this been done yet? If not, why?
    No it has never been discussed by the geeks. Plus yours truly has never read it.

Matthew
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for all the great ideas everyone.

I will still keep the voting discussion up until this Friday 10 am CST.

Matthew
  • Options
    Weapon X
    Executive Assistant Iris
    Shade volume 1

No Maus. God.....
    And some of the Geeks (gasp) have never read Sandman. I think it holds up tho
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I didn't mention Sandman because I took it for granted that it would have been on the show at least somewhere or other.
  • Options
    I throw out a token vote for "YEAH!" ,though I know no one else has read it.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    I will join in too with whatever you choose. I'm happy to read any of the suggested comics listed. it's been a long time since I read weapon x.
  • Options
    I'd join in. Always wanted to read weapon X, but I have no money, so I may have to join in after weapon X! My suggestion is Daredevil: Yellow.
  • Options
    I'm in. Weapon X sounds like a good place to start.

I'd also add, for future possibility, Daredevil: Born Again. I know the Geeks were planning on doing this, at some point, but I'm not sure they'll get to it now (or when they will). And that books is rife with discussion possibilities.

chris