Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

chrisw said:

papajay said:

chrisw said:

It also sounds like Marvel's practices were no different than any other publisher's had been since the birth of the industry. Most creators simply didn't participate in the profits of their work. It would have been awesome if Silver Age Marvel had broken that mold, but it didn't, and there was probably no reason they felt they needed to.

You're are so right about that, dude, y'know I think I'll pick up that Marvel book after all. I feel there is so little interest in comic book history (the CGS award for best publication about comics goes to a catalogue) that this kind of stuff needs to be supported.

I interrupted my reading of Earl Aubec to purchase and read the Marvel book; it was quite insightful, and I was unable to put it down until I finished it. Highly recommended
    It really picks up when it hits the '70s. Much more detail, lots more interviews. I just reached the point where Shooter's been made EIC. I'm hoping the '80s have just as much info, as that's when I discovered Marvel.
    For the most part, the book is excellent, but it has its odd skips. I was surprised that George Perez got such slight mention, as if his contributions didn't mean a whole lot. And there was nothing at all about Carmine Infantino working there in the late 70's; I would have thought having DC's premiere artist of the 50's and 60's, former art director and former publisher working on several of their titles, especially the Star Wars book, would have merited some comment. Still, it was an engrossing read.
    Yeah, I just read through a part that casually dropped that Perez was waiting on a script from Englehart, who was constantly late, and I remember thinking "Wait a minute, Perez is working there now? Why wasn't this brought up before?" And so far, that's the only time his name has popped up.

I feel like a lot of it was dependent on who was willing to be interviewed, and we're at that point where the '70s era staff have enough water under the bridge that they feel freer to talk.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Reading "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens. I had never read it before, but since my 7th grade daughter is reading it in school, I thought I'd give it a shot.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    kgforce said:

Reading "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens. I had never read it before, but since my 7th grade daughter is reading it in school, I thought I'd give it a shot.

It's one of my all time favorite books. Charles Dickens is awesome!
  • Options
    Dman said:

kgforce said:

It's one of my all time favorite books. Charles Dickens is awesome!
    True Confessions: I have never ready ANYTHING by Charles Dickens.
    :(
  • Options
    @kgforce, I read it a couple of years ago for the first time to help out some kids at the local coffee shop I frequented (never being a Dickens fan to that point), and it started me down a path of reading a good portion of his bibliography. I hope you enjoy it as I did!
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Posts: 10
    edited April 2013
    chrisw said:

Yeah, I just read through a part that casually dropped that Perez was waiting on a script from Englehart, who was constantly late, and I remember thinking "Wait a minute, Perez is working there now? Why wasn't this brought up before?" And so far, that's the only time his name has popped up.

I feel like a lot of it was dependent on who was willing to be interviewed, and we're at that point where the '70s era staff have enough water under the bridge that they feel freer to talk.

I think you're right, as time goes on people that were in power are gone, leaving everyone else to pounce. John Byrne opinion of Marvel changed with every interview, depending on where he was working. The Shooter years should be interesting, everybody has got an opinion on him.
    I just picked up a copy on Saturday, looking forward to starting it tonight.

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I picked up The Sisters Brothers about a week ago. I'm halfway through and love it. It's about these two hired guns, one of which, as he's getting older, is beginning to second guess his career path. They've been hired to kill a prospector that had supposedly stolen something from their employer. It was short listed for the Man Booker Prize if that helps.

"If Cormac McCarthy had a sense of humor, he might have concocted a story like Patrick deWitt's bloody, darkly funny western." LA Times
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,623
    I just finished Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way by Bruce Campbell. It's like a "B-Movie" novel. I can't recommend it but it was a fun little read.
    Late March/early April of tax season always derails my serious reading.
  • Options
    Just starting Max Frei's The Stranger...don't know if it will be as good as they say it is in the original Russian but I'm giving it a shot
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Just wrapped up Daniel Abraham's the King's Blood. It's the second book in the Dagger and the Coin series. Abraham has also served as a contributor to the Wild Cards shared universe books.

With regard to the King's Blood, I enjoyed it a great deal. It continues to feature all of the characters from the first book, the Dragon's Path. The series continues to use a great many traditional fantasy tropes, but seems to do it in an interesting way.

The series takes place in a pretty conventional medieval setting - magic is, if anything very much of the hedge variety and most seems to be understood to be little more than smoke and mirrors and there is much in the way of political and financial machinations. However, the entire setting is something of a post apocalyptic setting at an point in time established to be in an age following a rule by dragons. Much lore has been lost. Incredible artifacts from this previous time remain. There are 13 humanoid species, the majority of which were created by the Dragons to fulfill specific needs and roles.

Overall, I liked it and will read on.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I've just finished off Isaac Marion's Warm Bodies, which has recently been adapted into a movie. I haven't seen the movie, but this book was just sublime. The world is flooded by zombie/vampire/werewolf media right now and most of it is much of a muchness. It's all the same. But this book I'd describe as more of a romance novel set in the back drop of post-apocalyptic zombie world. The heart in this book is sometimes staggering with comparisons to Romeo and Juliet obvious.

If you're looking for a great, quick read (this tots in at only 239 pages) I'd highly recommend this. In fact even if your not looking for a quick read I'd say this up. You won't regret it.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Just got American Gods: The Tenth Anniversary Edition: A Novel [Kindle Edition] by
    Neil Gaiman on sale for $1.99 today (Saturday, April 27, 2013) at Amazon.

Bonus: I also got the Audible unabridged Full Cast version for just $3.95 (reg. $30.95) since I had bought the Kindle version.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I was able to pick up A Once Crowed Sky by Tom King at C2E2. He was kind enough to sign it for me and since @Steve_Bryant was in the neighboring booth I asked him to sign it as well. Steve lettered the comics portion of the novel. all told it was a real cool time.
  • Options
    random73 said:

I was able to pick up A Once Crowed Sky by Tom King at C2E2. He was kind enough to sign it for me and since @Steve_Bryant was in the neighboring booth I asked him to sign it as well. Steve lettered the comics portion of the novel. all told it was a real cool time.

I was hoping to pick it up there, but he was sold out by the time that I got to his booth on Saturday.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

random73 said:

I was hoping to pick it up there, but he was sold out by the time that I got to his booth on Saturday.
    Tom said he sold 30 copies on Friday and only had 3 left for saturday. his emergency back up order from barnes and noble was late and he was kind of S.O.L. He was cool to talk with though.
  • Options
    random73 said:

hauberk said:

random73 said:

Tom said he sold 30 copies on Friday and only had 3 left for saturday. his emergency back up order from barnes and noble was late and he was kind of S.O.L. He was cool to talk with though.
    Sounds like it. Unfortunately, Tom wasn't at his Booth when we were circulating through Artist Alley. Would have enjoyed meeting him.
  • Options
    When I stopped by he said Pants had been hanging out at the booth but just stepped away. i was a little disappointed because i would have liked to chats with Pants a bit too but i missed him.
  • Options
    Just wrapped up Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind and Ernst Cline's Ready Player One.

The Name of the Wind was a good starting piece of fantasy that did a nice job of playing with tropes while not falling into the well worn tracks of so many fantasy pieces. Interesting world building and characters. Nice pacing. I'm pleased to go back for the second book The Wise Man's Fear.

Ready Player One was also very enjoyable and a heck of a start for a new author. The book is effectively a love letter to the 80's set in a cyberpunk world. The entire story revolves around 80's pop culture. My only real gripe is that the ending felt fairly abrupt, though in retrospect, given the tie to 80's video games, it may have been intentional - game - cut screen - credits - over.

Also recently reread Glen David Gold's Carter Beats the Devil. This is incredibly fun piece of historic fiction set on the stage magician's performance circuit in California in the '20s. The shear number of interesting historical figures and facts that Gold weaves into this book is amazing. Well worth the read.

Next up Surrender to the Will of the Night by Glen Cook.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Just finished reading Game of Thromes part 3 ( A Storm of Swords) soooo good. So many incredible things happened right up to the end. Wanted to keep reading. But I think i"m gonna take a little break from GoT. Between reading the first three books, watching the first three season, seeing each episode multiple times... the last couple years of my life have been overflowing with GoT. So I'm probably going to take a break of 6 months or more before I start the next one.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    I finished reading Spirit Gate by Kate Elliot, and found it to be a bit blah. A bit too much world building and a bit too little story. I'm about 200 pages into the first Wheel of Time book, The Eye Of The World, by Robert Jordan, and am enjoying it very much. I'm curious as to how Mr Jordan managed to stretch the story over 14 volumes.
  • Options
    kiwijase said:

I finished reading Spirit Gate by Kate Elliot, and found it to be a bit blah. A bit too much world building and a bit too little story. I'm about 200 pages into the first Wheel of Time book, The Eye Of The World, by Robert Jordan, and am enjoying it very much. I'm curious as to how Mr Jordan managed to stretch the story over 14 volumes.

I really enjoy the wheel of time books. As to the bolded... I can answer that pretty simply. He kept adding more characters.
    I've got to read about 3 books to finish the wheel, but I haven't read one in almost 9 years. I'm going to have to restart; so they continue to sit.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Just finished reading Game of Thromes part 3 ( A Storm of Swords) soooo good. So many incredible things happened right up to the end. Wanted to keep reading. But I think i"m gonna take a little break from GoT. Between reading the first three books, watching the first three season, seeing each episode multiple times... the last couple years of my life have been overflowing with GoT. So I'm probably going to take a break of 6 months or more before I start the next one.

FYI the third series on TV is only adapting the first half of book three. Not sure if you read the whole of book three or just the first part of it? In the UK the paper backs split book three into two halfs (same with book 5).

Either way these books are so good. I'm currently reading book four, A Feast For Crows, again such a good read!
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Planeis said:

FYI the third series on TV is only adapting the first half of book three. Not sure if you read the whole of book three or just the first part of it? In the UK the paper backs split book three into two halfs (same with book 5).

Either way these books are so good. I'm currently reading book four, A Feast For Crows, again such a good read!
    Yup, very aware of all the goings on with the show. I read the whole book (the big joint). I don't think any version in America splits them. I may have preferred that in a way because it really is a loooooong book. But, at the same time, the TV show is doing things a little out of order (or making up stuff out of wholecloth) anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Now that I see all the big goings on that happen in Book 3 I see why they split up the show. And I'm sure its also a very profitable decision for them as well.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

luke52 said:

Planeis said:

Yup, very aware of all the goings on with the show. I read the whole book (the big joint). I don't think any version in America splits them. I may have preferred that in a way because it really is a loooooong book. But, at the same time, the TV show is doing things a little out of order (or making up stuff out of wholecloth) anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Now that I see all the big goings on that happen in Book 3 I see why they split up the show. And I'm sure its also a very profitable decision for them as well.
    And of course we get more GoT on TV, which is never a bad thing!

• Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    Planeis said:

I claimed I was going to take a break after finishing each GoT book, never lasted more than a few days before I found myself diving into the next one.
  • Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    I am about halfway through the new Dan Brown book "Inferno". It has been nothing special so far.
  • Options
    I've started Len Dieghton's Mexico Set. So far it's started off much better than Berlin Game; I've got high hopes for this one.
  • Options
    @Wetrats
    Have you read any other Crumley books? I've not started any and was wondering what you thought
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mwhitt80 said:

@Wetrats
    Have you read any other Crumley books? I've not started any and was wondering what you thought

Yep.

Three so far.

One Milo one (The Final Country?) and the team-up (Bordersnakes).

Both are very good.
  • Options

Planeis said:

I claimed I was going to take a break after finishing each GoT book, never lasted more than a few days before I found myself diving into the next one.
    Did you read them before the show started? I think have the show around will allow me to stay away for a while. I have all the books, but I also have many other books I need to dive into.

I often try to force myself to wait on these things. I highly doubt I'm going to read them again, so once I read them... its over, ya know? I do it with TV shows that I have on DVD or blu ray. Sure, I COULD watch Homeland all in one weekend, or I could space it out and give myself time to enjoy it, thinking about it, think about what happened next.