Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC's next gimmick is...

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
  • Options
    Stunt covers.

Smells like desperation.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    DC killing off their characters -- NOW IN 3D!!!!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Does my boredom come across in 3D too?
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    Shrug, I might pick up an extra issue if the cover looked cool.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    It IS the 90's all over again.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I wait for the IMAX editions. Already ordered a boom crane to read those.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I'm holding out for the return of the Colorform covers.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I want them to do a cover gimmick where the same creator names are on the cover for more than a couple months.

Now there's a gimmick that'll be hard to pull off!
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I have a cool idea for a gimmick: Hire people who are talented and let them do the comics.

Nah. It'll never work as long as the editorial team that gave us the X-Men in the 90's and the Spider-Clone saga are in charge of DC editorial.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited June 2013

David_D said:

I want them to do a cover gimmick where the same creator names are on the cover for more than a couple months.

Now there's a gimmick that'll be hard to pull off!
    Or if the cover credits match the interior credits.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    David_D said:

I have a cool idea for a gimmick: Hire people who are talented and let them do the comics.

You ask the impossible!!!
  • Options
    Also as the forums pervert laurete let me say I'll be purchasing the 3D Power Girl and Wonder Woman issues.

Don't let me down, DC! :)
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Here's Bleeding Cool's listing of two titles' solicitations. Batman and Detective each get four issues for the month. I am a collector (collector mentality) of, at least, the main Batman book. At Super Show I was able to find one last issue in the middle a decent run from #430 to now, including New 52. I don't have Detective Comics as thoroughly, but I'm working on that too. I will get these, but I'm gonna chop a ton of other DC books to do it.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Yikes. DC pressing fans of "Batman" and "Detective" to shell out $32 a month for those series??! The covers so far don't look that great and the creative teams look a bit disappointing to me (Andy Kubert WRITING but evidently not drawing? Snyder only co-writing?). I wonder if they'll be doing four issues of "Action" and "Superman" as well.

But I'm liking Soule's Swamp Thing, so I think he'll probably do something interesting with Arcane.

I wonder who the Wonder Woman headline villain will be? Strife? WW is really the only DC book I'm digging on a consistent basis anymore (besides Dial H, which will be canceled in August...).
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    spid said:
    Pricey month for you then! There seems to be about 40 Batman family books alone!
  • Options
    Wonder Woman's villain will be The First Born, Zues' long lost first child. He's been a beast in the last several issues.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    It seems to be the trendy thing to do to make fun of DC, and for those saying there aren't any talented people working at DC I don't think you are looking hard enough. Sure not everything is the cream of the crop, but there still are great titles being produced by consistent creative teams month in and month out.

I know the "WTF" promotion seemed dumb to me at first also, but reading the actual stories it was actually kind of fun. It wasn't as corny and forced as I thought it would be. I enjoyed the last time DC had villain centric books, so I'll give this one a shot. John Siuntres just did a panel on 3D comics, so kind of cool they are putting 3D covers on (although the $1 extra per issues is a little hard to swallow).
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Let's see... from DC I'm currently getting Animal Man, Arrow, Astro City, Dial H, Larfleeze, and Wonder Woman.

Arrow and Astro City are exempt from "DCU Proper" hype, and Dial H is being cancelled.

I'm still potentially on the hook for three of these holographic chromium lenticu-- er, sorry, 3D covers.
  • Options
    I wasn't particularly impressed with the WTF covers -- in most cases, after reading the stories, I really did say "WTF?", but I don't think I said it the way they were thinking I would. Some of those covers depicting scenes that didn't happen (Batman taking down Superman with a chunk of kryptonite on the Justice League cover), events that were only tangentially connected, or that at best were more symbolic than anything else; it felt, more times than not, like one big 'bait and switch'.

I'm less happy with the 3D covers, because they're forcing us to pay an extra buck for them. Time was, during the last big 'special cover' mania of the 90's, that they would offer a choice between the special cover or getting an ordinary cover. At least then you had a choice.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'll be officially done reading new DC books when this month hits.

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    This isn't going to hurt me too bad. I may be down to just World's Finest. He-Man isn't New 52 and I'm holding out for info on who will be taking over writing duties Earth 2 before deciding to drop it.
  • Options
    I think DC's finally managed to get me back to just buying them in trades. I'm down to just caring about getting WW and Red Hood on a monthly basis (and He-Man, but like Greg said, that doesn't count!) :)

It's not that I don't enjoy these books, but before DC started this N52 stuff, I'd been trade only with them...it seems I've come full circle. As Nick said, it's not that there isn't talent there...just not enough at that price point to make me feel I need to be shelling out monthly dough for them.

Still reading (in trade):
    Batgirl
    Batwoman
    Swamp Thing
    All-Star Western
    Batman

Everything else has pretty much been canceled.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited June 2013
    I think the idea of villains month is quite a good one, it certainly feels in keeping with the New 52's feel i.e. trying to bring in new readers. This certainly feels aimed at giving people a chance to see what the villains of the nuDCU are all about.

However, this is also quite obviously meant to be a cash cow to push their dollar share up. $3.99 a book is harsh, and I'm assuming they'll not be raising the page count with the price? But who knows, when the solicits come out, they may offer $2.99 versions of the books... But I doubt it.

I'll get the Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Earth 2 and Justice League books, that's about it.
  • Options
    Looks like by September I'll be down to just Wonder Woman and maybe All-Star Western.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    DC's next gimmick is...making me disappear.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    A good gimmick to have is a TV series. I like ARROW so much that after months of ignoring DC comics I started reading Green Arrow( again). It certainly helps that with #17 a new creative team took over - Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino are doing a great job. It's the only "new52" I currently read.