Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: X-Men Days of Future Past (Now with SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    The James Bond franchise never recovered after Connery left. And Lazenby. And Connery again. And Moore. And Connery again (sort of). And that other guy. And Bronsan. And Craig. And who ever comes after that. Straight down the tubes.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

The James Bond franchise never recovered after Connery left. And Lazenby. And Connery again. And Moore. And Connery again (sort of). And that other guy. And Bronsan. And Craig. And who ever comes after that. Straight down the tubes.

Though the scripts weren't good, I'd argue Bronsan breathed new life into the series & is the best Bond. He encompassed the best, definitive qualities his predessors brought to the Bond character.

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

Though the scripts weren't good, I'd argue Bronsan breathed new life into the series & is the best Bond. He encompassed the best, definitive qualities his predessors brought to the Bond character.

M
    Wow.

I even like Roger Moore better than Brosnan.

Of course, I'm a big fan of "that other guy".

;)
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Matt said:

M
    Flagging myself as Off Topic, I'd love to hear the definitive qualities of the previous 4 Bonds that Brosnan encompassed. I love Pierce's Bond but I don't agree that he was a pastiche of the earlier Bonds. Not to start another chance for a Bond debate because I hate them every time I try to start one.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I always viewed Brosnan as a slightly edgier version of Moore. He's more convincing at action than Moore was, but he still falls on the side of style over substance for me. There's nothing wrong with that approach, and for certain eras ('70s, '90s) it seemed to be the preferred mode for the films. I just find that it's an approach that doesn't age well.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

Matt said:

M
    Flagging myself as Off Topic, I'd love to hear the definitive qualities of the previous 4 Bonds that Brosnan encompassed. I love Pierce's Bond but I don't agree that he was a pastiche of the earlier Bonds. Not to start another chance for a Bond debate because I hate them every time I try to start one.
    I added a thread in the OT section so as to not hijack this thread.

M
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Matt said:

shroud68 said:

Matt said:

M
    I added a thread in the OT section so as to not hijack this thread.

M
    Meet u there!
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M
    Wow.

;)
    **OFF TOPIC**

I like them all. Love Roger Moore, but its almost not fair to compare the movies across different generations. The change in actor is what everyone talks about for the most part, but movies/Hollywood and the world was just much different than when Moore was making Moonraker compared to when Brosnan was staring in The World Is Not Enough.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Planeis said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M
    Wow.

;)
    **OFF TOPIC**

I like them all. Love Roger Moore, but its almost not fair to compare the movies across different generations. The change in actor is what everyone talks about for the most part, but movies/Hollywood and the world was just much different than when Moore was making Moonraker compared to when Brosnan was staring in The World Is Not Enough.
    Yeah, the conventions of filmmaking are entirely different.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited October 2013
    The comparisons between Bond, Jack Ryan and Nightcrawler are ridiculous. When they changed Bond the first time it was a disaster, financially and initially critically, hence why they brought Connery back. Bond carries his franchise, and it wasn't until Roger Moore that people got the idea that he'd change actors every few years and that this was a good thing. Jack Ryan, well that's barely a franchise at all because they keep changing actors. The fact that Harrison Ford is the only actor to repeat an appearance of Jack Ryan has kept it from being in the same league as Bond. The new movie will flop too, because, while we all know who he is, the general public isn't going to go, "Hey, Clear and Present Danger was awesome 20 years ago. And it really held up with Sum of All Fears 10 years ago. I bet Jack Ryan will be the best Jack Ryan movie ever."

As for Nightcrawler, the issue is that it was never going to be more than a cameo or a bit part, not the main character of a solo franchise, so why bother going through all the recasting drama if it doesn't enhance the movie in anyway, but does distract from it. The X-franchise doesn't need Nightcrawler to survive. If we were talking about whether or not they could successfully replace Jackman in this movie, then I think we'd be comparing apples to apples.
  • Options
    First. I would watch a solo Nightcrawler movie any day of the week. Don't dis my boy Kurt Wagner.

Second. The x-men franchise doesn't need Hugh Jackman to survive. It's an ensemble with a huge and rich cast of characters to draw from. No one is indispensable.

Third. The comparisons aren't ridiculous. The point was main characters in movies can change without damaging the franchise. Batman would be another example. Doctor Who perhaps another. Or if you want a minor character the girlfriend in Back to the Future would work or the other Darren in Bewitched.

Fourth. You facts are wrong. Connery wasn't "brought back" because Moore was a flop. Never Say Never Again was made by Warner Brothers in competition with MGM's Octopussy in 1983. Octopussy had a worldwide gross of $187 Million to Never say Never's $160 million. It had been 12 years since Connery played Bond.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    random73 said:

Fourth. You facts are wrong. Connery wasn't "brought back" because Moore was a flop. Never Say Never Again was made by Warner Brothers in competition with MGM's Octopussy in 1983. Octopussy had a worldwide gross of $187 Million to Never say Never's $160 million. It had been 12 years since Connery played Bond.

Actually I was refering to Connery in "Diamonds are Forever", after "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" when the Broccolis' did an about face because they thought they had doomed their franchise. And I'm arguing that Nightcrawler WOULDN'T be a main character in any x-men movie so what's the point of replacing him. And I think X-men could go on without Hugh Jackman, X-men First Class proved that,but to REPLACE him would be a different story and how it's handled would be a better comparison to Bond or Ryan.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    ugh double post.
  • Options
    Why would Nightcrawler NOT be a major character in ANY X-men movie. He was a major character in X2. For me Kurt is part of the core team. He could easily be as big or significant as any other member of the team.
  • Options

random73 said:

Actually I was refering to Connery in "Diamonds are Forever", after "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" when the Broccolis' did an about face because they thought they had doomed their franchise. And I'm arguing that Nightcrawler WOULDN'T be a main character in any x-men movie so what's the point of replacing him. And I think X-men could go on without Hugh Jackman, X-men First Class proved that,but to REPLACE him would be a different story and how it's handled would be a better comparison to Bond or Ryan.
    Jackman & RDJ seem to be the exceptions to the rules here. I think you could replace every single character with different actors, but these 2 guys ARE the characters. I'm actually surprised with TRYING to write Stark like RDJ that they haven't tried to grow Wolverine to a 6 ft-something guy.

M
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I hope no one thought I was serious about Bond sucking. :D I hope somewhere down the road with or without Cummings they bring Nightcrawler back.
  • Options
    And I thought Brocolli didn't like Lazenby because he was a cocky douche. On Her Majesty's Secret Service did pretty good during its original release.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    random73 said:

Why would Nightcrawler NOT be a major character in ANY X-men movie. He was a major character in X2. For me Kurt is part of the core team. He could easily be as big or significant as any other member of the team.

We're talking about the same franchise that just wrote off Cyclops right? Even in X2 he was set dressing. Let's not even talk about Gambit, or Psylocke or Angel.The franchise has made a choice as to who they think is relevant to their success and its Professor X, Magneto, and Wolverine. Everyone else just services the plot. If there was a sudden wave of interest in Nightcrawler outside the comic fandom this would be a different story.

I'm saying there is very little invested in a character that is a little too notable to replace without notice to make it worth their while, because a Nightcrawler solo isn't happening and they don't need to use him ever if they don't want to because they have so many characters to choose from. Replacing the actor seems like more of a hassle than a benefit to me. Let Cummings performance stand as one of the few characters the franchise got almost completely right.
  • Options
    Almost completely. I love Nightcrawler but don't get me going on those tattoos...
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

...When they changed Bond the first time it was a disaster, financially and initially critically, hence why they brought Connery back....

Not a disaster. One of the top movies of the year: "It topped the North American box office when it opened with a gross of $1.2 million.[57] The film closed its box office run with £750,000 in the United Kingdom (the highest-grossing film of the year),[58] $64.6 million worldwide,[59] half of You Only Live Twice's total gross,[58] but still one of the highest-grossing films of 1969.[60] After re-releases, the total box office was $82,000,000 worldwide"

Lazenby chose to leave the role before the movie was even released.
  • Options
    I don't know how I feel about the trailer. Is it weird that I didn't really like it, or at least it didn't get me jazzed for the movie?
  • Options
    Planeis said:

...When they changed Bond the first time it was a disaster, financially and initially critically, hence why they brought Connery back....

Not a disaster. One of the top movies of the year: "It topped the North American box office when it opened with a gross of $1.2 million.[57] The film closed its box office run with £750,000 in the United Kingdom (the highest-grossing film of the year),[58] $64.6 million worldwide,[59] half of You Only Live Twice's total gross,[58] but still one of the highest-grossing films of 1969.[60] After re-releases, the total box office was $82,000,000 worldwide"

Lazenby chose to leave the role before the movie was even released.
    I think that if the most successful franchise in the world at the time suddenly drops to half the grosses of the previous movie that constitutes a disaster.
  • Options

I don't know how I feel about the trailer. Is it weird that I didn't really like it, or at least it didn't get me jazzed for the movie?

nope. i felt the same way. nothing wrong with it really. just didn't hit my particular triggers. Captain America on the other hand...
  • Options
    I'll tell you this, I'm excited, but not "Cap 2 excited." This IS more on my list to see then Guardians of the Galaxy.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Matt said:

I'll tell you this, I'm excited, but not "Cap 2 excited." This IS more on my list to see then Guardians of the Galaxy.

M

Boo!

• Options
    Matt said:

M

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

M

Boo!

Something tells me if Dislike & Disagree we're still on the feedback line, I'd be getting lit up right now.

M
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    meh. This trailer does nothing to make me want to see DoFP