Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The 2014 NFL Thread!

Comments

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Sweetness is taken, and I don't think Harbaugh would disagree

Archie will let Peyton retire when Eli does. Peyton keeps people from making Manning jokes
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    From last year, but still worth some laughs as this season is winding down.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zce-QT7MGSE&feature=share
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I was concerned that the Broncos weren't scoring touchdowns. Glad that it didn't come back to bite them. The Pats are so banged up and just a different team on the road. They'll have to turn those field goals to touchdowns if they want to be SB champs.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    As a Niners fan, I'm disappointed that they lost. The refs are receiving a lot of flack for blowing several key calls. As much as I'm tempted to blame them for the loss, the fact of the matter was, the Niners had a legitimate shot at winning this game. Sure there was a minute left, but they had timouts to spare, and they were rapidly approaching the end zone. The bottom line is, they didn't win. It was a tough loss, but life goes on.

Prior to the outcome of tonight's game, I had no preference as to who wins the Super Bowl in the event the Niners failed to advance. But thanks to some rather tactless post-game comments made by Richard Sherman, I now fully back Denver.

In case you missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5cztgIDrfk

My response:

• Options
  • Options
    It was kind of out there, I don't know what Crabtree had said to him prior to the big play, I also don't know what kind of crazy thing I would say if I had a pivotal role in my team going to the Super Bowl.

At least it was more intelligible than when Kevin Garnett won the NBA championship (I'm at work and youtube is blocked or I'd have a video)
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    @Fade2Black
    What exactly did Sherman say that was so bad...He didn't swear or use some derogatory term; or is it because he's a big black guy screaming in the presence of a petite white woman?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Sherman displayed zero sportsmanship and made it all about himself. Instead of showing some sign of professionalism, and talking about his team's victory, he goes into personal idiotic rant making himslf look like an ass and his team out to be a bunch of heels.
  • Options
    @Greg
    And you've never said anything stupid in the heat of the moment?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

@Greg

When someone shit talks, grandstands, & is egotistical all the time, "heat of the MOMENT" is too limiting. Dick's twitter account is fill with tweets in the same vain.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Film don't lie... @nflnetwork @espn pull up the tape of that game and show me where this guy is the best? #fake #fake #fake
    10:18 PM - 19 Jan 2014

- Michael Crabtree
    @KingCrab15
  • Options
    @RedRight88
    Sure I have, but not like that, at least not in my adult life.
  • Options
    Matt said:

@Greg

When someone shit talks, grandstands, & is egotistical all the time, "heat of the MOMENT" is too limiting. Dick's twitter account is fill with tweets in the same vain.

M
    And the Patriots have never been bad sports?

The reason I keep defending Sherman is because 90% of athletes act this way, why is he so special?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Matt said:

@Greg

M
    And the Patriots have never been bad sports?

The reason I keep defending Sherman is because 90% of athletes act this way, why is he so special?
    Actually, I was not condemning or condoning his behavior. I was merely contesting "in the heat of the moment" notion.

So, collectively, the Patriots have acted this way? Maybe some players, but I wouldn't say the team. Bill has been known to censor players' behavior.

In fact, if you listen to interviews, they'll share & deflect salutations and own their own mistakes & need to prepare/play better.

M
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Sherman called out Roddy White last year before the falcons PEDhawks game. He wasn't talking after last years game if I'm remembering correctly.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Sherman called out Roddy White last year before the falcons PEDhawks game. He wasn't talking after last years game if I'm remembering correctly.

Is that the same Roddy White who said that the players suffering from CTE shouldn't compain and be suing the NFL?
  • Options
    And again; no one has pointed out what it was he said that was so malicious....Seriously look at the transcript....What he said is "this guy who had been bugging me since this past summer, I just bested". What is so wrong about that?
  • Options
    It was devoid of sportmanship, professionalism and class while being a bit disrepectful to his team, the opposing team and the reporter. I understand that a lot of pro athletes have diarrhea of the mouth like that, but maybe it's not the best thing to do on such a large stage.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617

Is that the same Roddy White who said that the players suffering from CTE shouldn't compain and be suing the NFL?

I'm pretty sure it is the same Roddy White who shut Sherman's mouth. You would be correct. I never said Roddy was the brightest bulb.
  • Options
    =))

While smack talk is fun (especially if your team won!), Tom Brady is an amazing quaterback and has done great things for New England (despite Belichick and McDaniel's cheating)
  • Options

And again; no one has pointed out what it was he said that was so malicious....Seriously look at the transcript....What he said is "this guy who had been bugging me since this past summer, I just bested". What is so wrong about that?

Malicious is the wrong word. It was his display of arrogance and cockiness that people are objecting to. Richard Sherman was asked by the reporter to, "Take me through the final play of the game". His response was one of:
    "I'm the best corner in the game. When you try me with a sorry receiver, like Crabtree, that's the result you gonna get! Don't you ever talk about me"...

Instead of taking the viewer through the final play of the game as asked, we're given a trash talk. I get that this is football, and that trash talk during the game is to be expected, but there was really no need for Richard to carry it over to an open mic after the game was over and when Crabtree wasn't around to defend himself. The whole incident reeked of bad sportsmanship.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    fredzilla said:

=))

While smack talk is fun (especially if your team won!), Tom Brady is an amazing quaterback and has done great things for New England (despite Belichick and McDaniel's cheating)

That's a bit harsh.

Did you know...neither have ever been punished, fined, nor proven to have cheated. Its a label that's been slapped on them by people who aren't fans.

M
  • Options

Malicious is the wrong word. It was his display of arrogance and cockiness that people are objecting to. Richard Sherman was asked by the reporter to, "Take me through the final play of the game". His response was one of:
    "I'm the best corner in the game. When you try me with a sorry receiver, like Crabtree, that's the result you gonna get! Don't you ever talk about me"...

Instead of taking the viewer through the final play of the game as asked, we're given a trash talk. I get that this is football, and that trash talk during the game is to be expected, but there was really no need for Richard to carry it over to an open mic after the game was over and when Crabtree wasn't around to defend himself. The whole incident reeked of bad sportsmanship.

He's not a play by play guy, that was him taking us through the play.

And Crabtree shouldn't get a say there, history is written by the winners, that's the way it is. I like a little trash talk, let em get out there and cut a promo like an 80's wrestler and talk about how they're going to destroy the other team.

Also and this is only what I heard on the radio this morning, apparently he was #2 in his class at Stanford, so while he may be an "idiot" he's not dumb.

• Options
    Matt said:

fredzilla said:

=))

That's a bit harsh.

Did you know...neither have ever been punished, fined, nor proven to have cheated. Its a label that's been slapped on them by people who aren't fans.

M
    We must read different internets.

While they may not have been holding the camera and pressing record, as heads of the organization, the blame falls on them. Who they then choose to fire is up to them. McDaniels pulled a similar stunt in Denver a few years ago and Broncos fans resent him for it. In fact, I believe it's one reason why he later lost his job.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    fredzilla said:

Matt said:

fredzilla said:

=))

That's a bit harsh.

M
    We must read different internets.

While they may not have been holding the camera and pressing record, as heads of the organization, the blame falls on them. Who they then choose to fire is up to them. McDaniels pulled a similar stunt in Denver a few years ago and Broncos fans resent him for it. In fact, I believe it's one reason why he later lost his job.
    Yep, we must; nothing said the penalties were for cheating. It was for recording the other team's signals/signs AFTER a rule was enacted at the beginning of the season stating that act was no longer permitted. The penalties were for violating a rule, NOT for cheating. People want to make it one in the same, but it isn't.

Belichick stated he 'misunderstood' the specifics of the rule, whereas it was his 'understanding' videotaping was permitted, but could not be used for the specific game being played (which there was never evidence proven it was.) Other coaches, such as Jimmy Johnson and Bill Cowher, have admitted to using similar tactics.

There is also this misnomer that the videotaping was covert (hence the mistitle of "SpyGate"), when video footage shows the opposing coaching making gestures to the camera.

Doing something AFTER being told you can no longer do it isn't cheating. Wrong, yes. Just not labeled as cheating. Plus, they have had the best winning percentage since 2007, so how much did it really assist?

Trust me on this. Besides having the facts here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_National_Football_League_videotaping_controversy, I listen to enough Boston sports talk to hear about this incident near the end of every season by listeners calling into the shows who hate the Patriots.

THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-fAs9bj9uY actually had more impact on the ongoing game then what people want to accuse Belichick of. Funny how Tomlin didn't get labeled as a cheater, though!

M
  • Options
    I don't like the Patriots, it goes back to the 85 Super bowl I was young and didn't understand that since the Bears were my team the Patriots weren't necessarily the "bad guys" I've since learned that the bad guys are the Packers but I still don't care much for the Patriots.

I just wanted that out there, didn't have much to do with anything.

I did want to ask, what is cheating then, if not a violation of the rules?
  • Options
    Krescan said:

I don't like the Patriots, it goes back to the 85 Super bowl I was young and didn't understand that since the Bears were my team the Patriots weren't necessarily the "bad guys" I've since learned that the bad guys are the Packers but I still don't care much for the Patriots.

I just wanted that out there, didn't have much to do with anything.

I did want to ask, what is cheating then, if not a violation of the rules?

Besides PEDs? I would say if it was proven the signals that were recorded from the other team were actually used in the game being played. Or if they videotaped the walk-thru prior to the game.

If videotaping for the future is cheating, then when the Colts signed Deion Branch (a former Pats WR) the week before playing New England in the playoffs and when the Broncos signed Marquice Cole (2014 cut Pats CB) the week before playing New England this past weekend. Signing former plays very familiar with the opposing team's system, schemes, and unofficial injury reports just prior to a game gives a huge advantage.

I don't believe Belichick misunderstood the context of the new rule and thought the footage could just not be used during the game in progress. Since the rule was sent out to all the coaches before the season and Bill did it anyway (still not done discreetly), then he did deserve to get reprimanded.

M
  • Options
    OK but PEDs are a violation of the rules so obviously that's cheating. And if video taping is against the rules then that's a violation and also cheating right?

I just didn't understand where you were trying to differentiate the terms rule violation and cheating.

Picking up a player that played for the tea you're playing might be shady but not against any rules. The Broncos already had Welker so there was probably already an advantage, but the Pats had a former Bronco on their team (I think I heard the announcer say that but I don't remember the player's name)