Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    After rewatching it this morning... I guess since I'm already familiar with all the characters the introductory exposition was tedious to me (also a lot of it was in unfinished form on the sizzle reel from SDCC which leaked a few months ago, including music choice). But it's completely necessary for everyone who's never heard of GotG. Everything else I saw looked like fun to me and I can't wait for a second trailer.
  • Options
    Fantastic. Did not know if Pratt was gonna work out. He's got this. Can't wait to introduce my five year old to Rocket Raccoon! Something tells me RR is due for a promotion.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    THAT WAS A GREAT TRAILER!!!

great way to introduce the masses to the GOTG!!!!

i'm sure the next trailer will be more raccoon/bradley cooper heavy and show more of the villains...

but what a great way to hook the general public with no knowledge of the GOTG with it's humor and the music!!!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    This movie looks fun. Can't wait to see it.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

At the 1:58 mark is a clip of Drax being hoisted into the air by ... Ronan, perhaps?

THIS is the Marvel movie made for Marvel Zombies.
    Ronan!?! Ronan on the big screen!?!
    Can NOT wait.

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

Rocket:
    Origin: Halfworld, Keyestone Quadrant.
    Enhancements: Cybernetic skeletal structure, enhanced phalange & metacarpal bones, genetically augmented cerebral cortex.
    Description: Cybernetic/genetic experiment on a lower life form (has a tendency to bite).
    Associates: Groot, Lylla
    Criminal Record: 13 counts of theft, 14 counts of escape from incarceration, 7 counts of mercenary activity, 15 counts of arson.

Lylla was Rocket's Otter ladyfriend

• Options
    Fun trailer. I was pretty indifferent up until this point, but now I think I might have to fork over my cash on the theatrical release.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Looks great, even better than I expected.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited February 2014
    This is gonna provide a nice counterpoint to Winter Soldier, which, as much as I expect to enjoy it, doesn't look to be a laugh riot.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    shroud68 said:

Brack said:

I'm hoping that trailer is just poorly cut, and not indicative of the film. The humour seemed super awkward and the use of "Hooked on a Feeling" clumsy (I know it's been 22 years now, but it's just inviting unfavourable comparisons to Reservoir Dogs' use of the same song).

Who is making the connection between Resevoir Dogs use of "Hooked on Feeling" to it's use in this trailer? That seems a very arbitrary and obscure observation that will bother no one in the intended audience for a Guardians of the Galaxy trailer.
    Well, let's see who is making this connection?

MTV
    Movie Moron
    What Culture
    Screen Crave
    Bleeding Cool

And so on. For film fans of a certain age, you hear that song and you think Reservoir Dogs.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I thought Reservoir Dogs when I first heard it, but I can't recall what scene it was even used in, so I don't link it to the film nearly as much as I do Little Green Bag, Stuck In The MIddle, or even I Gotcha. I don't think using it will seem copycat to anyone but a few.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Of course, it's better that it calls to mind Reservoir Dogs than Nick Fury ver. 1.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQVlVHsFF8&feature=kp
  • Options
    Now I know why this is working for me. Not having to adhere to being realistic! Green people, talking raccoons and a walking tree! Avengers really opened up the universe.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Brack said:

shroud68 said:

Brack said:

I'm hoping that trailer is just poorly cut, and not indicative of the film. The humour seemed super awkward and the use of "Hooked on a Feeling" clumsy (I know it's been 22 years now, but it's just inviting unfavourable comparisons to Reservoir Dogs' use of the same song).

Who is making the connection between Resevoir Dogs use of "Hooked on Feeling" to it's use in this trailer? That seems a very arbitrary and obscure observation that will bother no one in the intended audience for a Guardians of the Galaxy trailer.
    Well, let's see who is making this connection?

MTV
    Movie Moron
    What Culture
    Screen Crave
    Bleeding Cool

And so on. For film fans of a certain age, you hear that song and you think Reservoir Dogs.
    I stand corrected though none of those references are as 'unfavourable" as your original post would indicate.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

I thought Reservoir Dogs when I first heard it, but I can't recall what scene it was even used in, so I don't link it to the film nearly as much as I do Little Green Bag, Stuck In The MIddle, or even I Gotcha. I don't think using it will seem copycat to anyone but a few.

If I recall, the song is used right after the scene where Mr. White and Mr. Orange are scoping out the future crime site, and Mr. White says something like "Let's go get a taco".

Count me as one who makes no connection between the song and Reservoir Dogs. Maybe because I am old enough to have heard it on the radio years before the movie.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Count me as one who makes no connection between the song and Reservoir Dogs. Maybe because I am old enough to have heard it on the radio years before the movie.

Ditto.

Now THIS song is one that I can't help associate with Reservoir Dogs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DohRa9lsx0Q
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Just watched it. I liked it. It seemed whimsical and was obviously introductory. I think we can expect two (possibly even three) more trailers that delve into the story or rather that explain "what is the point of this motion picture?".

As an aside, at first I thought surely there was some CG involved in the shot featuring StarLord's (Chris Pratt) abs shot at the 1:52 mark. I've been a fan of Parks & Rec for years and he always seemed somewhat out of shape on that show:

...but apparently he's been getting in shape for this role, so yes I agree with @matchkitJOHN

They have firmly established Starlord as a goofball but he will still be a bad-ass.

I am looking forward to more trailers and also some Groot and Rocket voices.
    Whelp. I'm always very suspicious of actors who go from looking like regular dudes who get a big role like this and then looked JACKED. But, in this case I think he's had a couple smaller physical roles before this, and I think his appearance of looking jacked in the trailer was aided by being soaking wet.
  • Options
    Huh. So this Rocket Raccoon is the same one as in the Bill Mantlo/Mike Mignola mini-series? I'd been wondering... and am wondering still why his personality is so different from then. What did I miss?
  • Options

Ditto.

Now THIS song is one that I can't help associate with Reservoir Dogs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DohRa9lsx0Q
    I get to play the old card on this one, too.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I am so excited that I want to cry. I love that trailer
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited February 2014
    Bleeding Cool breaks down the trailer in excruciatingly awesome detail:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/19/a-very-close-look-at-the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer/

Interesting tidbit I didn't know: "Until now, Korath has been Kree in the comics. Not sure how this will be handled in the film seeing as generalized Kree come under the 20th Century Fox Fantastic Four deal."
  • Options

Bleeding Cool breaks down the trailer in excruciatingly awesome detail:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/19/a-very-close-look-at-the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer/

Interesting tidbit I didn't know: "Until now, Korath has been Kree in the comics. Not sure how this will be handled in the film seeing as generalized Kree come under the 20th Century Fox Fantastic Four deal."

I would think The Kree overlap with Avengers at least as much as Wanda and Pietro.
  • Options
    Not to further the whole "Reservoir Dogs" controversy, but this was interesting from the Bleeding Cool story:
    Here’s where Hooked on a Feeling starts to take hold. It’s the Blue Swede version, as featured in Reservoir Dogs. Not that Quill should know this as Dogs didn’t come out until the 90s and he was off-planet by then.

See how important this walkman is to Quill? It’s not just because he likes bubblegum pop, I can tell you that. The very first scenes of the film, that I’m unfortunately not at liberty to discuss, will explain exactly what emotional significance this mixtape has.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I would think The Kree overlap with Avengers at least as much as Wanda and Pietro.

I agree. I primarily associate them with the Avengers in my mind. I mean the Kree-Skrull war in the Avengers in the early 1970s was one of the all-time historic story arcs. Maybe it had to do with where they first appeared perhaps, as the Kree first showed up in the Fantastic Four in the late 60s.
  • Options
    Apparently the trailer is kind of a big deal. Or something.

http://www.thewrap.com/guardians-galaxy-trailer-social-media-smash-bigger-man-steel/
    After debuting Tuesday on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!,” the footage for the upcoming outer space adventure attracted 88,000 mentions across Twitter, Facebook and various blogs in a 12-hour period between 11 p.m. EST until 11 a.m. EST. By way of contrast, in the first 24 hours following their trailer debuts, “Man of Steel” attracted 75,000 social mentions, and “The Amazing Spider-Man 2″ inspired 96,000 mentions — and those were released at a reasonable hour.

“The Guardians of the Galaxy” trailer has drawn more than 4 million views on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!’s” YouTube page.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2014
    I think with GOTG, most people, civilians included (or maybe especially), will EXPECT it to be good, even if they don't know any of the characters, settings, etc. Marvel's track record is SO strong, that they will have to put out a Green-Lantern-magnitude bomb for people to even question whether it will be worth seeing. Marvel's name is so synonymous with quality at this point, that they are riding on the kind of wave of consumer confidence that Disney had in the late 60's and early 70's... When a movie came out and Disney's name was on it, families went to see it, regardless of subject matter. There wasn't even a question about it.

I know very little about the GOTG universe, other than the Rocket Raccoon mini series, and some peripheral info as it pertains to the Thanos/Captain Marvel universe, and I am so excited to see this.

It looks DIFFERENT.
  • Options
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

Everything @Tonebone said.

http://youtu.be/EnkU9GMArCU

Not really, but its one of my favorite quotes.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    This...
    Tonebone said:

I think with GOTG, most people, civilians included (or maybe especially), will EXPECT it to be good, even if they don't know any of the characters, settings, etc. Marvel's track record is SO strong, that they will have to put out a Green-Lantern-magnitude bomb for people to even question whether it will be worth seeing. Marvel's name is so synonymous with quality at this point, that they are riding on the kind of wave of consumer confidence that Disney had in the late 60's and early 70's... When a movie came out and Disney's name was on it, families went to see it, regardless of subject matter. There wasn't even a question about it.

I know very little about the GOTG universe, other than the Rocket Raccoon mini series, and some peripheral info as it pertains to the Thanos/Captain Marvel universe, and I am so excited to see this.

It looks DIFFERENT.