Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Avengers Movie (Spoilery Thread - Enter at own risk)

Comments

• Options
    I had to google that to figure it out. The description tells its basically reducing it down to gender roles... Interesting..
  • Options
    Will_TWOTHWill_TWOTH Posts: 54
    edited April 2012
    SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

I loved it! LOVED IT! Saw it on Thursday, then again yesterday! If I say any more I will be pretty much just uttering the sentiments of the others! However, the guy who was talking to Thanos and Loki the whole way through, known only as "the other" is apparently Annihilus!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

I loved it! LOVED IT! Saw it on Thursday, then again yesterday! If I say any more I will be pretty much just uttering the sentiments of the others! However, the guy who was talking to Thanos and Loki the whole way through, known only as "the other" is apparently Annihilus!
    I figured the rights to Annihilus would be tied up with the FF franchise.

• Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    SPOILERS! SPOILERS!
    known only as "the other" is apparently Annihilus!
    Got to say I don't see it myself for the reason above and also I'm not sure where it would take te plot. The negative zone hasn't been introduced and if it was then I'd expect it to be in an FF reboot.
  • Options
    Saw it over the weekend. A friend wanted to go see it with me, he doesn't read comics, nor had he seen any of the other movies. He was very, understandably, lost at the beginning as it does really start feeling like it's the middle of another movie and then have the feeling like it's four other separate films as they draw the characters together. I thought it quiet funny that he mentioned that it wasn't until the end that he found out the name of the man in the tin suit was called Iron Man nor did he realise that when they kept talking about the hulk they meant the INCREDIBLE hulk, never the less he enjoyed it.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, really liked the bit with Black Widow manipulating Loki, thought for an awful moment they were going to put some crap typical Hollywood female back story element in there and my heart sunk but nope, they got me with that one, and who could find fault with the hulk and loki moment :)

Next time I see it it will not be in 3D, I found the action scenes to quick to focus on and while many scene were deliberately set up to show the depth I don't think it really made it any better.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    Awesome,awesome,awesome!!! Thank God for joss whedon! I won't go into the speculation as to how the sequels are gonna be or what other movies will follow in the individual franchises, but damn!! THIS is the comic book movie I've waited for! It's big, yet has these various character interactions...you care for pretty much everybody! It also breaks your heart a bit, with what happened to coulson.

My final words for now? Inevitably, one will compare this to the other big comic book movie of the year (no, it's not you,Peter Parker...) but I think, from a pure fanboy standpoint, this trumps The Dark Knight Rises. Even if I haven't seen it yet! Give whatever accolades to that franchise in making a more 'mature' take on comic book movies,but really, Avengers is just every comic book fan's fantasy come to life!

Actually, even if they don't make any more marvel movies after this, i'll be perfectly happy, just because they pulled of this grand experiment in comic-book-movie making...
  • Options
    And there's a wizard of oz reference, for cryin' out loud!!! ;)
  • Options
    There's talk of a Guardians of the galaxy movie, right? Don't know how that'd fly, but it could spin off from a sequel or be the lead-in to one!
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Did everyone else's audience give a little gasp/reaction to the "mewling quim" line?
    Wonder if that gets changed for the american releases... I mean a norse god using english slang doesnt totally make sense anyway (nor does him using american slang, but who knows what the old Germanic is for it...
  • Options
    Actually, even if they don't make any more marvel movies after this, i'll be perfectly happy, just because they pulled of this grand experiment in comic-book-movie making...
    I was watching the opening cinematic from Marvel Ultimate Alliance earlier (which I heartily recommend if you've never seen it) which has always been my high bar for superhero action and realised that this film exceeds it by miles in places. I really never thought I'd see it.

3rd viewing this weekend!
  • Options
    JimKellyJimKelly Posts: 20
    I just watched this last night. I liked it and am definitely going to see it again, but I don't think I share the same amount of enthusiasm as most people in term's of the movie's quality. Did anyone else just think it was good? Does anyone have a criticism?

That scene with Loki and the Hulk - DAMN, that was dope.
  • Options
    The Shawarma scene for US audiences??
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Wow! That is my first reaction. Just wow. The build up was worth it. I could not be happier. Obviously I have some nitpicks, the biggest of which being the phrase "Avengers Assemble" was never uttered. I was waiting and waiting and it never came. Come on! Now that I have that out of the way. There really was nothing bad about it. I loved it, I loved it, I loved it. The fight scenes just had me riveted to know end. I couldn't get enough. Cap giving orders, Hulk smashing, Thor swinging his hammer, Iron Man blowing stuff up, and Hawkeye just picking people off. Could not have been better.
    Running thoughts on the cast:
    - Cap was just awesome. Chris Evans lead masterfully. He captured Cap so perfect. Cap is my favorite character and to see how well he is done almost brings tears to my eyes.
    - We knew what we were going to get from RDJR, but he did it again. I love "his" Tony Stark"
    - I finally loved Hulk. I usually hate the character, but I really enjoyed him in the movie.
    - Thor was awesome too. And freaking ripped. Chris Hemsworth must be on some really good HGH to get that way.
    - Black Widow in her fight scenes was so cool. Her beginning scene was just so cool.
    - Hawkeye was great. Behind Cap, he is my favorite character. I did miss his hot head, you can't tell me what to do old man schtick, but other then that, I loved him. When he was shooting the Chitauri, I was downright giddy.
    - Nick Fury is just a meh for me. I understand this this the Ultimate/Sam Jackson version, but that is not my Fury.
    - Maria Hill was cool too. I want more of her.
    - RIP Phil Coulson
    - Loki was again so perfect. Big props to Tom Hiddelston
    Other Thoughts:
    - Loki's gangster walk when he was arrested gave me so much enjoyment. He is real hood.
    - When Stark called Thor "Point Break", I lost it. It was about over for me.
    - Stan Lee's cameo was perfect. Very, very funny.
    All in all. I just loved it. I am so happy now. I really am just so overwhelmed. I think when I see it again tomorrow I will be able to even enjoy it more. Until then.....
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Did everyone else's audience give a little gasp/reaction to the "mewling quim" line?
    Yeah mine did
    I do wonder if the American audiences will realise that Loki's essentially calling her a "whining c*nt"

</blockquote
    I did...good thing the ratings board didn't.

• Options
    I just watched this last night. I liked it and am definitely going to see it again, but I don't think I share the same amount of enthusiasm as most people in term's of the movie's quality. Did anyone else just think it was good? Does anyone have a criticism?

That scene with Loki and the Hulk - DAMN, that was dope.
    if we all tried hard enough, we could nitpick about a lot of things. but just seeing it and knowing what it took to get us to the point where we have the actual movie onscreen just trumps all the 'negative' things about it...

• Options
    ParallaxParallax Posts: 10
    Excellent film. Lived up to every expectation. Question...was the Agent's "cellist" girlfriend who moved to Portland a reference? It was in there like 3 or 4 freakin times!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    This film has set the bar all future superhero movies. My daughter is now begging for Hulk books to read.

I have only this gripe, Marvel adds Coulson to the 616 to tie it in with the movie universe (a move that I like), only to see him get killed in the movie.

We're seeing this again tomorrow and Sunday.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I know B. Deemer has about as much regard for critic Lisa Schwarzbaum as I do. I'd love to hear his response to her.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/03/ew-movie-critics-talk-avengers/
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I may have been the only person in the theater in Spartanburg, SC who knows the word "quim".

Or "mewling" for that matter.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Not one second of suck.

Not.

One.

Second.
  • Options
    What the heck did Hulk say after trashing Loki?

"Some God?"
  • Options
    @mrfusion: How about a debrief on your sequences?

Was "I'm always angry" yours?
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    "Puny god."

Ironically I was going to make a post with just those two words but now doing so is also answering WetRats question.
  • Options
    "Puny god."
    Oh.

Wow.

Perfect!
  • Options
    Right after "I'm always angry." I had to force myself not to quote Ted Kord.

"One punch!"
  • Options
    Phil? His first name is Agent!
  • Options
    "Puny god."

Ironically I was going to make a post with just those two words but now doing so is also answering WetRats question.
    I love the little whimper that Loki gives as he's lying on the floor after that scene.

• Options
    @mrfusion: How about a debrief on your sequences?

Was "I'm always angry" yours?
    I know Tom said when I messaged him that he'd worked on the scene in NY where the Hulk gets blasted, and that he was the voice pushing for Kirby krackle around the portal scenes.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    I had so much fun watching that movie. I thought it was a little slow getting going, but once it did it was like a thundering juggernaut of goodness all the way to the end. I really hope the Infinity Gems are the 'maguffin' for the next movie, that would be epic.

Hulk got the biggest laughs from the audience I sat with and deservedly so. I think 'laughs' are missing from a lot of superhero movies, and that's what we need more of.