Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Spoilers)

Overall, it was great. I've heard it described as a 70s paranoid thriller with a modern budget, and I think I agree with that, especially with Robert Redford in it.

It moves the marvel movieverse on in a big way and if you're watching Agents of Shield, there should be massive ramifications felt there.

As is usual now, there are 2 credits scenes, after the animated main credits and right at the end.

I loved that without fanfare, someone throws out the name of a character not yet seen in the movies, just to set up possible future appearances. There was also a cameo by someone I did not expect to see, which was nice.

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Marathon said:

It moves the marvel movieverse on in a big way and if you're watching Agents of Shield, there should be massive ramifications felt there.

I have gone on record predicting just that.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited March 2014
    Marathon said:

Overall, it was great. I've heard it described as a 70s paranoid thriller with a modern budget, and I think I agree with that, especially with Robert Redford in it.

Redford had way more screen time than I anticipated. And I thought he did a bang up job. The old dude has still got it.
    Marathon said:

Can't wait to see how the show ties into the film. I have ideas, based on where the TV show is heading in recent episodes, but won't discuss them until the general release of Winter Soldier (spoilers).
    Marathon said:

I loved that without fanfare, someone throws out the name of a character not yet seen in the movies, just to set up possible future appearances.

It was very hard to maintain my composure during that moment. My favourite Geek moment of the entire film.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Yes, I think that name drop my was maybe my favorite bit of the movie too.

I really enjoyed it, although did think they could probably have cut 10mins out to make it a little tighter.

Pretty cool to see three new marvel-verse characters in the extra scenes too!
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Brilliant film. Really well put together and both respects and builds on what came before. Can't wait to get into some spoilery raving about it when it's on general release in the US.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Are there any WW2 flashbacks?
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199

Are there any WW2 flashbacks?

I can't remember how to do spoiler text, I'll drop you a PM.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    OK... As you might know, some of these movies open earlier in my part of the world. So I've already seen Cap 2. And it was great! If you thought the trailer was great, the movie doesn't disappoint! The spy thriller tone of the trailer resonates throughout pretty mych the whole movie just enough but you still know it's a marvel flick. Great action, great dialogue and interaction between characters, great visuals. Falcon was great, so was Bucky! Probably now in the top 3 of my favorite movies in this universe.

I do have nitpicks, but only because it's what is fanboys do. But no real biggie that hindered my enjoyment of the flick.

Now, I want to see a Cap movie with Bucky to!

Sorry if this "review" is all over the place, kinda in a hurry. But go watch it with your buddies! Then watch it again to catch details you most likely missed the first time around. ;) and stay for the credits (which are great too!) And the mid-credits and after credits scens.

• Options
    Didn't see that this thread was started already... ;)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • Options
  • Options
    @Gargoyle yup! There are callbacks to WW II, the best one being... ;)
  • Options
    "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" projected to have highest April box office ever ...

boxoffice.com/latest-news/2014-04-01-captain-america-the-winter-soldier-gunning-for-90-million-domestic-launch

The official start of the summer movie season is one month away, but that doesn't matter for Disney and Marvel. One of their 2014 tentpoles in Captain America: The Winter Soldier is days away from its domestic launch, and tracking indicates the sequel is poised to top the $85.7 million opening of its cinematic universe's spiritual predecessor, Thor: The Dark World. Simultaneously, the Steve Rogers follow-up chapter is aiming to push through Fast Five's $86.2 million bow three years ago and stake the best April opening ever.
  • Options
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    SATURDAY!!

Well, for me. I'm going with some friends.
  • Options
    I'll probably go see it again this weekend. It wasn't in 3D when I saw it in LA, and even though I'm not a fan of 3D, it would be interesting to see the difference.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Sunday 11:50 am. Child#1 and #2. Cannot wait. Non spoiler reviews have me excited.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

Child#1 and #2.

How old are your kids?
    I am always curious about parents and what age they take their kids to see the Marvel movies. Obviously each kid is different, but at what age are they ready to handle these films? I remember when I went to see the Hulk (by myself, on Father's day), there was a guy there with his boy who couldn't have been older than 4. The poor kid was terrified the whole time and wanted to bolt, and his father kept berating him and telling him to stop crying. Great parenting.

I'm looking forward to watching the movies with my girls, but they are not ready yet. Cartoons only at this point. Which is fine with me... I LOVED Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Hex said:

shroud68 said:

Child#1 and #2.

How old are your kids?
    I am always curious about parents and what age they take their kids to see the Marvel movies. Obviously each kid is different, but at what age are they ready to handle these films? I remember when I went to see the Hulk (by myself, on Father's day), there was a guy there with his boy who couldn't have been older than 4. The poor kid was terrified the whole time and wanted to bolt, and his father kept berating him and telling him to stop crying. Great parenting.

I'm looking forward to watching the movies with my girls, but they are not ready yet. Cartoons only at this point. Which is fine with me... I LOVED Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
    16 and 13. They are veterans.
  • Options
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

TONIGHT!!!

Here's a little something to help you prepare, @WetRats‌

http://youtu.be/Qo9Dt9MA1GA

M
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

16 and 13. They are veterans.

You are a good dad. They (& you) are going to love it. Have a great time.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Less than three hours to go!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Well, that kicked a whole lot of ass.
  • Options
  • Options
    WhirlwindWhirlwind Posts: 94
    Just got back from it myself. It was exactly the movie I wanted to see, it advanced the mega-plot, and the perfect characters were introduced, re-introduced, killed off, and name-dropped (you know who I'm talking about). The casting and pacing was perfect, the action scenes were incredible and more than just super-punching over and over, and it kept me at the edge of my seat the whole time. This was a top-tier Avengers series movie.

One nitpick: Washington DC doesn't have a "17th Avenue". Harumph.
  • Options
    Whirlwind said:

One nitpick: Washington DC doesn't have a "17th Avenue". Harumph.

Or a Triskelion.
  • Options
    WhirlwindWhirlwind Posts: 94
    Well, technically, that's apparently in Virginia.
  • Options
    Via ComicBookMovie.com ...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Edwardo2K14/news/?a=97438
    Another tick for Marvel Studios who have become unstoppable at this point. The Hollywood Repoter is reporting that Captain America: The Winter Soldier had broken the April advance ticket sales and the film will have the biggest April opening of all time this weekend. The site claims that the film will "cross $90 million in it's North American debut this weekend. Some even wonder if it could approach $100 million." They go on to say "On Thursday, the $170 million sequel became the top selling April title in Fandago's 14 year history, eclipsing Universal's Fast Five, which debuted with to $86.2 million in late April 2011. Fandago rival MovieTickets.com is also reporting brisk sales."The film has already passed 100 million internationally after opening in 32 markets and grossing 75.2 million last weekend. With barely any competition this month, the film will earn as much as possible even matching or even surpassing Thor: The Dark World's $644 million.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Oh.

Yeah.

Two words for now: Stephen Strange.
  • Options
    Did any of you see the inscription on Fury's headstone?

"The path of the righteous man. Ezekiel 25:17."