Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Oh! I have a question... Can anyone tell me why Cap had 2 different shields in the movie? On the boat it was one with thinner stripes and a blue rim, but the rest of the movie it was the classic. I don't think it was ever explained.
  • Options
    HappenstanceHappenstance Posts: 113
    edited April 2014
    Ive seen it called his stealth suit shield. I guess they just made him a second one. A throwaway line would have been nice considering its supposed to be hard to get hold of Vibranium.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

Oh! I have a question... Can anyone tell me why Cap had 2 different shields in the movie? On the boat it was one with thinner stripes and a blue rim, but the rest of the movie it was the classic. I don't think it was ever explained.

Also noticed that Cap's shield was never recovered from the water at the end of the film after he was dragged to shore.

• Options
    WhirlwindWhirlwind Posts: 94
    I noticed that. Ordinarily I'd think it would be no big deal - the Potomac is dirty, but not that deep - except for the several thousand tons of twisted metal likely sitting on top of it.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

On a side note, sad that it looks like Colbie Smoulders won't be joining the show now that HIMYM is done, at least not as a regular.

Don't get me started on HIMYM. F#*K that finale...just...yeah

I thought it was a great finale., but I digress. Can't wait to take my wife to see this Saturday.

M
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I'm a textbook overeactor, but after having all day to think about it, this may be the best movie I have ever seen, ever
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    How old is this version of Black Widow supposed to be? After finding out about HYDRA being in SHIELD she talks about her past and the KGB. The KGB fell with the Soviet Union in 1991...Scarlett would have been 7.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Hex said:

WetRats said:

I thought she meant hands-on operatives, or dare we say, superheroes.

Good point... never thought that she might have been referring to the "Supers".
    I'm sure there will be some clarification this coming Tuesday on Agents of SHIELD.
    With Sitwell's role in the most recent episode of SHIELD and his considerable role in Cap, I don't see how the events of the last episode could be going on at the same time as Cap. The SHIELD ep cliffhanger happens less than twenty-four hours after Sitwell was on a mission with them, and he still needs to get on that boat. I feel like it might be another week or 2 before they sync up, which makes sense if they wanted everybody to get the chance to see the movie before they start exploring the ending. They'd also have a week to promote it.
    Didn't he say "I've got a boat to catch?"
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Hex said:

WetRats said:

I'm sure there will be some clarification this coming Tuesday on Agents of SHIELD.
    With Sitwell's role in the most recent episode of SHIELD and his considerable role in Cap, I don't see how the events of the last episode could be going on at the same time as Cap. The SHIELD ep cliffhanger happens less than twenty-four hours after Sitwell was on a mission with them, and he still needs to get on that boat. I feel like it might be another week or 2 before they sync up, which makes sense if they wanted everybody to get the chance to see the movie before they start exploring the ending. They'd also have a week to promote it.
    Yup, something like that. He ducks out of the mission early.

• Options

Maybe they just touched up the paint after the boat fight.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

How old is this version of Black Widow supposed to be? After finding out about HYDRA being in SHIELD she talks about her past and the KGB. The KGB fell with the Soviet Union in 1991...Scarlett would have been 7.

Hmmmm... Maybe she's spent some time in the freezer as well.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited April 2014
    Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

WetRats said:

Yeah, so he leaves and only a few hours later the Bus is being diverted. At the earliest, if that boat was within an hour's distance, and if he was taken hostage the second he steps on board there's still 72 hours from the end of this week's episode to the end of Winter Soldier. I suppose they could find a way to hide out for 3 days during a commercial break, but I think its more likely that it won't be addressed fully until the next week. Especially so as to not spoil it for people who didn't get to see it opening weekend. Though the death of Nick Fury will probably occur during the timeframe of this weeks ep.

In a perfect world I'd love to see an editor's note appear on the bottom of the screen "*See Captain America: Winter Soldier voracious viewer! -Stan" on the bottom of the screen when that scene is referenced.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Oh HELL yeah.

So good. And good at what it did.

I feel like I've already seen the best movie of the summer and it's only April.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The KGB fell with the Soviet Union in 1991

That is what the KGB want you to think.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Holy hell YES!
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I did wonder that myself and I think they mentioned during the end scenes that she was born in 84 if I remember right. I just figured that it was different in this universe and the KGB lasted a lot longer in secret.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    WetRats said:

Did any of you see the inscription on Fury's headstone?

"The path of the righteous man. Ezekiel 25:17."

That was my favorite callback... Haha!

Now, is Marvel gonna change the title to Agents of N.O.N.E?
  • Options
    This Widow was born in '84... I forgot which scene it was mentioned, though.
  • Options
    Sorry for not back-reading and just commenting on-the-fly. Great movie, huh? ;)
  • Options
    David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

The KGB fell with the Soviet Union in 1991

That is what the KGB want you to think.

I'm actually thinking that this is how S.H.I.E.L.D. will survive; as a covert organization rather than an obvious force.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    demonbear said:

WetRats said:

Did any of you see the inscription on Fury's headstone?

"The path of the righteous man. Ezekiel 25:17."

That was my favorite callback... Haha!

Now, is Marvel gonna change the title to Agents of N.O.N.E?
    How about Nextwave Agents of H.A.T.E.?
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    After being disappointed by Thor 2, i did not really know what to expect with Capt 2. It being fantastic was a nice way to get rid of my doubts.

From the previews, i would have bought a ticket for "Lucy" on the spot. It looks fantastic.
    Not too sure about Guardians of the Galaxy though.
  • Options
    I agree about Guardians of the Galaxy. If they don't put something out besides the Ooga-Chaka trailer, I'm going to start thinking it will be Marvel's first fizzle.

The intricacies of marketing are beyond me, though - maybe they're waiting to get past the five-week comics spurt that gives us Winter Soldier, Spider-Man, Godzilla, and the X-Men all in a row.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited April 2014
    So I've now seen the movie.

The worlds opinion of S.H.I.E.L.D. is obviously torn asunder. The public would call for action and everything gets tossed up in the air, but nowhere in this movie did I get the feeling that now S.H.I.E.L.D. will never be again.

Will it be in the same DEFINITION as it was before? (No I'm not referring to what it stands for) Probably not. But I think it will still exist. I think it'll just go back to being more covert and less of a highly funded/weaponized government entity. I mean, a government that puts enough money behind a branch to build heli-carriers armed like that...you don't just collapse that organization when you find out there's corruption within. You weed out the corruption (IE: rounding up that senator at the end).

Good Steven Strange callout. Nice scene with the twins in the credits. I don't quite agree that it's the best movie (or even the best Marvel movie) but it was a GREAT action movie. IDK, it'll take a few viewings to form a more concrete opinion.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

WetRats said:

Hand tells him he's needed on The Lemurian Star immediately.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

WetRats said:

I didn't remember her saying the ship's name but when I saw the movie I thought to myself, "Ah ha! That's where he went!"
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

WetRats said:

I didn't remember her saying the ship's name but when I saw the movie I thought to myself, "Ah ha! That's where he went!"
    There's potential for enough time to have passed between scenes for the end of the episode to essentially coincide with the attack on Fury. Simmons, when on the phone with Fitz, says there's something big going on.
  • Options
    I guess Ed Brubaker had a cameo.
  • Options
    Yeah, he was one of the techs working on the Winter Soldier.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Amazing. I wish there would've been more Black Widow. I can't get enough of ScarJo!!

M