Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Saw it tonight. Incredibly good and enjoyable. Perhaps only second to avengers and the first ironman. Can't quite say I found it better than the first cap but in some ways yes. Loved falcon. Loved the stealth / shield costume. Loved all the nods and Easter eggs would've preferred a slightly more resolved ending. Wished hawkeye had been involved or mentioned. The end credit scene w strucker was decent and it should've been after the credits. The Bucky scene should've been final scen of the movie and shouldn't have been so "eerie". More optimistic. And as likable as she was here, I think I preferred widow as she was in avengers. Thought there was a bit much car chasing/crashing. All I can think of off hand. Can't wait to see it again.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    batlaw said:

Saw it tonight. Incredibly good and enjoyable. Perhaps only second to avengers and the first ironman. Can't quite say I found it better than the first cap but in some ways yes. Loved falcon. Loved the stealth / shield costume. Loved all the nods and Easter eggs would've preferred a slightly more resolved ending. Wished hawkeye had been involved or mentioned. The end credit scene w strucker was decent and it should've been after the credits. The Bucky scene should've been final scen of the movie and shouldn't have been so "eerie". More optimistic. And as likable as she was here, I think I preferred widow as she was in avengers. Thought there was a bit much car chasing/crashing. All I can think of off hand. Can't wait to see it again.

I thought it was a fitting ending. Cap essentially has a new 'mission' & can still help people along the way.

I wonder, do you prefer Widow more in Avengers then this movie because she acted more heroic? I'm not saying she wasn't doing heroic things here, but she was very super spy more then she was in Avengers. It felt like at any moment she could've turned on Cap.

I like both versions of Widow. This one felt more how I envisioned her.

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

I don't at all see two different versions.

In Avengers she was out of her element, but here she was hands-down the most competent character in the story.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

I don't at all see two different versions.

In Avengers she was out of her element, but here she was hands-down the most competent character in the story.
    I agree, she was more in her element. I was trying to reference a hero v. super spy versions. It came off to me like 2 different aspects of the character that were emphasized more in each movie. To some extent, she seemed more trusting in Avengers then she did for a chunk of this movie. I actually was surprised she didn't know Fury was alive or about the military base bunker.

M
  • Options

IGN have an article up on whats going to happen with Agents of SHIELD after Cap 2

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/06/post-captain-america-the-winter-soldier-plan-for-marvels-agents-of-shield-revealed

Yep.

Ever since I saw the Winter Soldier Trailer, I've been watching the show as leading to this point. It's really pretty cool.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

IGN have an article up on whats going to happen with Agents of SHIELD after Cap 2

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/06/post-captain-america-the-winter-soldier-plan-for-marvels-agents-of-shield-revealed

I'm really glad I stuck with this show. Not only has the season continually improved but now it ties right into the Cap movie in a very interesting way.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    They have managed to pull off the perfect Nick Fury Vs. SHIELD story in a film which I did not think was possible. You have Nick Fury faking his death, spy vs spy fights, and classic Nick Fury vs Cap over how they handle problems. I thought the introduction of the Falcon was really well done. It felt like they would be partners, like they are in the comics, and he is not just a sidekick.

I have to salute the movie for sticking with so many comic book conventions in this movie. Zola donned his traditional tv head for his appearance. They throw a lot of characters in without their feeling like they are overloading you. You have Crossbones throughout the whole movie, but they don't beat you over the head with. It also serves as a setup for the next movie when he puts on the costume.

My only real knock is not really the fault of this movie, but the first movie for not cementing the relationship between Steve and Bucky. I think it would have hit harder if they had done more things together in the first movie.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited April 2014
    Best of the Phase 2 movies so far. Probably third behind Avengers and Iron Man. I'm glad the Russo's are doing the next film.

The last scene was probably overstuffed but better than wanting more. This film reminds me of how disappointing the Iron Man sequels were. I guess the third film will be the search for Bucky.

And I loved how Falcon was used in the film. The wings were great. We understand what Sam is all about and sets up a great partnership with Cap. Anthony Mackie says he wants to wear the red and white and I think he earned it!

The Peggy scene was good but could have been better if Cap was drunk. "Oh Peggy!"
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I'm really glad I stuck with this show. Not only has the season continually improved but now it ties right into the Cap movie in a very interesting way.
    Props to you and everyone who stuck with it! You are rewarded for your patience. Me? I'm coming back to see the fallout but hoping Skye was a Hydra agent and is put in jail. :)
  • Options

Best of the Phase 3 movies so far. Probably third behind Avengers and Iron Man. I'm glad the Russo's are doing the next film.

The last scene was probably overstuffed but better than wanting more. This film reminds me of how disappointing the Iron Man sequels were. I guess the third film will be the search for Bucky.

And I loved how Falcon was used in the film. The wings were great. We understand what Sam is all about and sets up a great partnership with Cap. Anthony Mackie says he wants to wear the red and white and I think he earned it!

The Peggy scene was good but could have been better if Cap was drunk. "Oh Peggy!"

Not to nitpick, but isn't this Phase 2 until Ant-Man?

M
  • Options
    I wanted to be the first to point out the pulp fiction ref but wet rats got here first. I did notice watching iron man 3 on fx last night that dusty was wearing the Vincent Vega outfit. Also did you guys catch the Star Wars reference: "you may fire when ready"
  • Options
    Matt said:

M

Not to nitpick, but has the phrase "Not to nitpick" EVER not been followed by nitpicking?
  • Options
    WhirlwindWhirlwind Posts: 94
    I liked the subtle X across Rumlow's chest as well. That was a nice costuming touch.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited April 2014
    The to-do list from the first scene is different in the UK and US!

US:

UK

What would you put on Cap's list

(Edit: Apparently nearly every region got its own custom list which I think is pretty neat).
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Not to nitpick, but has the phrase "Not to nitpick" EVER not been followed by nitpicking?
    Just like "no offense" usually follows something that someone would find offensive.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Just like "no offense" usually follows something that someone would find offensive.
    Or one of my favorites best illustrated here:

http://youtu.be/Af-Id_fuXFA

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Also did you guys catch the Star Wars reference: "you may fire when ready"

Oh, for sure! The actor even had a Tarkin look to him.

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

I didn't read this article, but am I the only one that doesn't like the melding of film and television? I say this simply because I probably won't see CA:WS for a couple of weeks or even perhaps until Blu-ray. I didn't see Thor:DW until after the AoS Asgard episode and they did a good job of not spoiling anything in Thor and still told a compelling story (one of my favorite episodes!). I just don't want it to get to the point that people like me (parents with small children and not a whole lot of time or $ to go see a film in the theater) miss out on something spectacular because we weren't all in.

It feels like the film equivilant of a company-wide crossover where you're forced to purchase a bunch of books you would not normally buy just to get the whole story.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I wish there was more interaction between the films and the television show. The television show would have been better if they were building to the events of Captain America instead of the Clairvoyant story arc.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Hex said:

Oh! I have a question... Can anyone tell me why Cap had 2 different shields in the movie? On the boat it was one with thinner stripes and a blue rim, but the rest of the movie it was the classic. I don't think it was ever explained.

Also noticed that Cap's shield was never recovered from the water at the end of the film after he was dragged to shore.

I would note that almost seems to be a theme. Cap lost his shield, Iron Man destroyed all of his suits of armor in IM3, SHIELD is crippled and (seemingly) shut down and dismantled... at least Thor still has his hammer. I wonder if all of that together isn't leading up to something?

• Options
    spid said:

I wish there was more interaction between the films and the television show. The television show would have been better if they were building to the events of Captain America instead of the Clairvoyant story arc.

When I first heard they were going to do a series I thought it would've been more Frontline/Damage Control type series. Its story arcs would feature some set up & follow out of the forthcoming movies. Even if its the B-plot that's a device needed as part of the McGuffin.

I can't say firsthand if that's completely happened, as I haven't been watching the series.

M
  • Options

Falcon came out very well in this film. I was initially bummed he wasn't wearing the classic red and white outfit, but given the way things played out it made sense that he hadn't yet reached that stage. The flying sequences were fantastic. The only thing he lacked was Redwing.

I was a little slow on the uptake on a number of things, I'm afraid -- i didn't recognize Crossbones at all, though I knew that they had to be giving him some importance from the way they kept focusing on him at the end. I recognized von Strucker and told my friends so afterwards. "Duh," one of them responded, "They addressed him by name!" Oh. I missed that. And when they introduced the twins, I immediately assumed they were von Strucker's children (whose names I forget), who have appeared from times to times, and who I think were also mutants (though I'm not sure about that); but it quickly became apparent that these were really Pietro and Wanda. (Are they not mutants in this film incarnation?)

I thought the film was excellent, though, along with the dissembling of SHIELD, I think Congress should pass a law against the further building of any more helicarriers -- they just can't keep those things afloat!! I wouldn't call it the best Marvel film thus far, though -- I think Avengers still holds that honor; I think Winter Soldier is the third best, right behind the first Cap film.
  • Options
    spid said:

I contend the Clairvoyant IS Part of Winter Soldier, i.e. Zola.
  • Options

I wouldn't call it the best Marvel film thus far, though -- I think Avengers still holds that honor; I think Winter Soldier is the third best, right behind the first Cap film.

I can't quite rank them either, all three are so great.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

I didn't read this article, but am I the only one that doesn't like the melding of film and television?

I love it!
  • Options

And when they introduced the twins, I immediately assumed they were von Strucker's children (whose names I forget), who have appeared from times to times, and who I think were also mutants (though I'm not sure about that); but it quickly became apparent that these were really Pietro and Wanda. (Are they not mutants in this film incarnation?)

Nope.

They're "Miracles" (Marvels?).

Manufactured superheroes.

Since mutants belong to Fox.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

spid said:

I contend the Clairvoyant IS Part of Winter Soldier, i.e. Zola.
    Yeah, that was my thinking as well.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Been trying to tell you that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D isn't as stand alone and sporadic as some of you have been complaining about, I think we'll find out for sure in a week or two.

I guess I didn't know what Crossbones real name was or it didn't stick out to me, but I thought the other team member would turn out to be Crossbones, the one that had his gun to Cap's head and then Rumlow said to not shoot him here. That scene reminded me of when Cap got shot not for looking like it but just a feel of it I think.

My theater didn't have the AC on so the quiet moments along with it being warm almost lulled me into sleep but hoping not to miss any action kept me going.

I just wish there had been a few flashbacks to get more Dum Dum and the rest of the Howling Commandos
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I didn't catch that it was Crossbones until they showed him burnt up at the end. All at once I realized he'd be back and probably wearing a mask to hide his burns...Crossbones!

Did you notice when he removed his tactical vest to fight Wilson, he had straps crossing his chest.

M