Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: X-Men Days of Future Past (Now with SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Thanks @David_D‌ - something I think that's great about this thread is that it's about 2 years old or so an I'm still learning new things in it about very week! I'd like to think Claremont and Byrne will get something off this.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    If JK Rowling had created Harry Potter for a comic company instead of being a book she would still be on public assistance. She is the polar opposite of Siegel and Shuster.
  • Options
    Pretty good article that gives the story's creators some credit and even has a couple of nteresting nuggets. Worth a read.

Read: http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/movies/2014/05/17/new-men-movie-honors-comic-book-origins/F8f5ERHNVrJZqunPXL2G0K/story.html
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    This might be blasphemy, so go easy on me. As far as the comic of DOFP, I think the ideas in it, are awesome. Time travel, sentinels killing all the mutants to create a dystopia. But in terms of how much I actually enjoy the comic, I just think it's OK.

I'm hoping to enjoy the movie more than I did the comic because the presentation appears BIGGER (based on the two trailers I've seen, I've avoided all other ads)
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Planeis said:

This might be blasphemy, so go easy on me. As far as the comic of DOFP, I think the ideas in it, are awesome. Time travel, sentinels killing all the mutants to create a dystopia. But in terms of how much I actually enjoy the comic, I just think it's OK.

I'm hoping to enjoy the movie more than I did the comic because the presentation appears BIGGER (based on the two trailers I've seen, I've avoided all other ads)

I'm gonna agree with you. The overall story itself was just okay. The ideas presented within, primarily the dystopian future and what happens to all the X-Men we loved is what makes it so memorable. Still, a story I think any X-Men fan should read.

I still have high hopes for the film.
  • Options
    Sure there are a lot of things wrong with the original story that can be criticized, not the least of these all of the exposition, but it was a groundbreaking story at the time. I admit it has not aged well, but some key points this story highlighted were Kitty Pryde, who had just joined the X-Men, was shown as a mature hero and married to Colossus. Also, Storm had just been made team leader, and you see her as a jaded freedom fighter - long before the mohawk phase. It was also the first appearance of Rachel Summers, whose existence doesn’t make sense given that Jean just died, and she is with Franklin Richards as adults.

Another major alteration was that we get to see Magneto in the role of Xavier. Until this story, he had played the arch-supervillain. A truly dramatic change. Many people also don't realize that this story came out nearly 3 years before the Terminator movie. Finally, every hero in the future timeline die - an outlandish proposition at the time.

The comic was truly groundbreaking, but its shelf life may not have been evergreen. Now, many of these ideas have become tropes or rote. However, at the time, these were radical departures from the standard comic book fare, and made X-Men a standout title.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Many people also don't realize that this story came out nearly 3 years before the Terminator movie.

But many years after La Jetée, the 1962 French film that inspired DOFP, Terminator and 12 Monkeys.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited May 2014

I'm just curious... does anyone know if Chris Claremont and John Byrne are getting any compensation for this movie? They did plot and write the original storyline upon which it was based. Or did FOX get the free reign to adapt any X-Men storyline when they licensed the properties? Anyone know the details on this?

Although I am sure many creators get the shaft, I wouldn't be surprised if either Claremont and/or Bryne get some form of compensation for "Days of Future Past". I'm pretty sure Byrne was one of the first creators at Marvel to negotiate himself a "royalty" from the books he did, on top of his standard page rate. At the height of his popularity at Marvel, when he was doing double duty on both Alpha Flight and FF, some months he could have been potentially pulling in close to 100K as a result of those royalties. With a deal like that, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of clause in there about future usage.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Hex said:

I'm just curious... does anyone know if Chris Claremont and John Byrne are getting any compensation for this movie? They did plot and write the original storyline upon which it was based. Or did FOX get the free reign to adapt any X-Men storyline when they licensed the properties? Anyone know the details on this?

Although I am sure many creators get the shaft, I wouldn't be surprised if either Claremont and/or Bryne get some form of compensation for "Days of Future Past". I'm pretty sure Byrne was one of the first creators at Marvel to negotiate himself a "royalty" from the books he did, on top of his standard page rate. At the height of his popularity at Marvel, when he was doing double duty on both Alpha Flight and FF, some months he could have been potentially pulling in close to 100K as a result of those royalties. With a deal like that, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of clause in there about future usage.
    Then I'm wondering if he got a check for the X-Men episodes in the 90s that covered the story.

M
  • Options
    Anyone else notice this yet?

• Options
  • Options
    WeddyWeddy Posts: 4
    Anyone saw this yet?

Just back - really enjoyed it. It's a dense film and not as tight as first class - could have trimmed the fat and cut it down 15mins but overall a cracking film. The First class cast are great with Fasbender and McAvoy delivering sterling performances again. The future scenes are also very well done.
  • Options
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    HUGE SPOILERS FOLKS!!!!!
    I made this as a new thread because the last thread was a) Gigantic and b) concerned news and not spoliers, now that the movie is out. Mods, if this isn't appropriate please blink me out of existence and merge/delete at your leisure.

I just got back from the movie, and holy friggen amaze-balls. I still need some time to process everything I just saw, but lets get this out of the way right now:

EN SABAH NUR! EN SABAH NUR! ........FRIGGGIN APOCALYPSE. My brain is gonna explode.

I'll post what is becoming my traditional, gigantic and wordy geek-related-movie-review in a day or so. But I wanted to say just this:

This movie is a love-letter to X-Men fans, in my very humble, limited opinion. It was a love-letter to the entire film-franchise and hardcores alike. I think I still like Avengers and Cap 2 a bit more, but this movie was the most "satisfying" comic book movie I've seen yet.

More to come. What did you think? I know theres a ton of nit-pickers out there that I hereby challenge! (in the most playful and awesome way of course)

-Bondo
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    edited May 2014
    Thoroughly enjoyed it. As someone with limited X-Men knowledge, I didn't feel as if it was punishing me for not knowing all the ins and outs of every mutant it featured. I liked that Mystique was the focus of the story, first stopping her, then trying to make her change her mind which would finally change the future.

I loved Quicksilver and his view of the world when using his powers. Also his throwaway line about how his mother knew a man years ago with Magneto's powers. Oh, and Avengers? The ball's in your court now.

I loved the post-credit tease of Apocalypse, it was an awesome scene in it's own right - building a pyramid single-handedly. I'm sure knowledgeable X-Men fans would know them, but those four mysterious figures in the distance on horseback have me intrigued. So what are the best Apocalypse stories to read?

And finally, a new JFK conspiracy theory! Mutant!
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    edited May 2014
    I liked it a lot.

Although there's the one scene where Wolverine is getting tortured, and they have Stan Lee dressed as a janitor and he says, "That's gotta hurt!" Totally took me out of the film.
  • Options
    JersenJersen Posts: 39
    The wife and I went and saw this last night as well. I REALLY liked this movie! It manages to make quite a bit of course correction from what happened in X-Men: The Last Stand, which really made me happy.

We get a pretty clear answer to Wolverine's adamantium status by the end of the movie, for those wondering about the bone-claws and will they/won't they be around in the next movie.

Post credit scene REALLY pumped me up for 2016!

Oh yeah, and Chris Claremont and Len Wein have little cameos as Congressmen!
  • Options
    Want to see it soooo bad (I've managed to keep my expectations in check). But I think i'm gonna maybe wait till next week. Theaters around here sometimes are sooo annoying on bigtime opening weekends.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Bondo said:

HUGE SPOILERS FOLKS!!!!!
    I made this as a new thread because the last thread was a) Gigantic and b) concerned news and not spoliers, now that the movie is out. Mods, if this isn't appropriate please blink me out of existence and merge/delete at your leisure.

I just got back from the movie, and holy friggen amaze-balls. I still need some time to process everything I just saw, but lets get this out of the way right now:

EN SABAH NUR! EN SABAH NUR! ........FRIGGGIN APOCALYPSE. My brain is gonna explode.

Is that what that was? I confess, I'm not all that familiar with a lot of the Apocalypse portion of the X-Men mythos (though I've read a number of stories involving him), so I was completely clueless as to what was going on in that scene, apart from the obvious pyramid-building. My first thought was that it was another old Marvel villain, the Sphinx. Now that I know, the sequence does make some sense -- but still feels less rewarding that the Marvel Studios teasers.
  • Options

Bondo said:

HUGE SPOILERS FOLKS!!!!!

Is that what that was? I confess, I'm not all that familiar with a lot of the Apocalypse portion of the X-Men mythos (though I've read a number of stories involving him), so I was completely clueless as to what was going on in that scene, apart from the obvious pyramid-building. My first thought was that it was another old Marvel villain, the Sphinx. Now that I know, the sequence does make some sense -- but still feels less rewarding that the Marvel Studios teasers.
    The 4 Horsemen were standing nearby too. Great scene, great lead into the next one set in the 80s; "X-Factor" maybe?

M
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Quick thoughts:

Quicksilver stole the movie. DID NOT see that coming!

Wolverine was in it and was central to the plot but still felt like ensemble.

Cyclops! Marsden! And he's still a dick!

Really enjoyed it. X2 is still the best for me.

And when I see it again I am going to not focus so much on thinking about how I know the future X-men are going to die so no suprise and instead enjoy some nice action.

And I enjoyed hearing the Xavier narration the beginning it was there for the first two and not Last Stand and we know how that turned out.
  • Options
    Glad to see besides the Sentinels, Jean & Scott back, this potentially stands to mean...no more bullet amnesia!

M
  • Options

Quick thoughts:

Quicksilver stole the movie. DID NOT see that coming!

Wolverine was in it and was central to the plot but still felt like ensemble.

Cyclops! Marsden! And he's still a dick!

Really enjoyed it. X2 is still the best for me.

And when I see it again I am going to not focus so much on thinking about how I know the future X-men are going to die so no suprise and instead enjoy some nice action.

And I enjoyed hearing the Xavier narration the beginning it was there for the first two and not Last Stand and we know how that turned out.

I liked the lineage implication for Quicksilver, but I was glad he served his bit & was done in the movie. I thought the bad wig was really distracting. I also couldn't help but think "so, this is what the Flash would see if he watched Quicksilver run".

He's supposed to have a more significant role in the next movie, set in the 80s. I feel like there's suddenly this 'war of the Quicksilver' occurring with Fox & Marvel.

M
  • Options
    Just saw it. Liked it a lot. So glad to see little cuts from all the previous movies mixed in and have them all referenced in the credits. Hopefully that should end all the debates about certain movies not being a part of the series. Of course some things have been undone, like Jean, but that scene doesn't make sense from Logan's perspective unless X3 is part of the series.

More thoughts later.
  • Options
    Other than no mention of how Wolvie got the adamantium back and no mention of how Charles survived X3, this movie was a real treat! Would've enjoyed a bit more in the future dystopian world for my tastes. And I was surprised that the quote from Wolverine's hilarious cameo in "First Class" was flubbed...

Best scene hands down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO1rMeYnOmM
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    edited May 2014
    I saw the movie today and generally liked it. I think First Class is still the best X-movie because of the balance of humor and serious drama. Also it was the only movie that felt connected to Xavier teaching his students. Outside of Quicksilver's scenes the only humor was when Logan went through the metal detector and it did not go off in the past.

For a movie with technically a lot of mutants there are large swaths of this movie where there are hardly any on the screen. They picked the right four in terms of star power, but I wanted more mutants. I have to admit I got in my own head half way through because I kept wondering how they were going to reset things to where they started in X-men 1. It was not until the end where it is clear they are hitting the reset button in many ways that I got out of my own head.

My only other small nitpick would I wish they had split up the ending into two different scene setups. Have Magneto have the Sentinels turn on the humans but skip the stadium dropping. I would have Mystique save the President in a different scene.

I would put this on the same level as X2, but then again I do not think as highly of X2 as many do.
  • Options

Other than no mention of how Wolvie got the adamantium back and no mention of how Charles survived X3, this movie was a real treat! Would've enjoyed a bit more in the future dystopian world for my tastes. And I was surprised that the quote from Wolverine's hilarious cameo in "First Class" was flubbed...

Best scene hands down:

Did there need to be? It was left as "you're not the only one with gifts" when Logan asked Xavier how he was back. It looks to be a longer time from when Magneto & Xavier recruit Logan to the setting where Logan is sent back in time.

M
  • Options
    So the next movie is in the 80's with McAvoy and Fassbender?
  • Options

So the next movie is in the 80's with McAvoy and Fassbender?

Lawrence, Hoult, & Jackman also. Directed by Singer.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Best scene hands down:

Did there need to be? It was left as "you're not the only one with gifts" when Logan asked Xavier how he was back. It looks to be a longer time from when Magneto & Xavier recruit Logan to the setting where Logan is sent back in time.

M
    A two second throwaway line wouldn't have been unwarranted or unnecessary. So I won't say there "needed" to be a mention of it, but there should've been. That was the last film Stewart's Xavier starred in. Or are all X-Men fans expected to watch end credit scenes of various spin-off movies where ambiguous statements are made and expected to be accepted as explanations of loose ends? They could've cleared up the ending to X3 if they had any clue how to do it. Add that to the lack of any explanation how Logan's adamantium was back, I think I realize what the reason they didn't address it - they didn't know how.

Might it be more fun if we all started coming up with our own explanations - a' la the Marvel No Prize?

Otherwise, this is the best X film in the franchise.