Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    You give new meaning to the term "Rat Bastard."
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

You give new meaning to the term "Rat Bastard."

:D
  • Options
    The showing I attended was definitely playing to the home team (special preview sponsored by my FLCS), but what an amazing response.

This is why we go to movies.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    Saw it last night!!! My top 3 has been updated!!!

#3 Captain America Winter Soldier
    #2 Avengers
    #1 Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Options
    OK.

The biggest thing I don't want to spoil is that the trailers don't spoil.

Every big laugh in the trailers sets up a better, bigger laugh in the film itself.

I am in awe of the masterful way this was done.

I've never seen a better job of selling the film without giving away the goods.

The deluge of really crappy trailers preceding last night's showing really drove home the point, too.

All those traditional trailers were essentially synopses, explaining every beat of story and "character" and sparing the audience the work of actually figuring anything out.

There's nothing left to discover after watching a trailer like that.

There is SO MUCH left to discover upon watching Guardians.

SO much.

The only other trailer I saw that Sold The Movie rather than Told The Movie, was for Big Hero 6.

Coincidence?

I think not.
  • Options
    My favorite moments:

1) the prologue piece was beautiful... seems like they learned a lesson from UP
    2) Quill dancing in the opening credits scene
    3) The entire prison portion of the movie... Groot sticking his roots up the aliens nose!
    4) The Collectors collection room and how weird he is... and the footage of the Celestial
    5) The full frontal view of Thanos

In general
    -The scope of the entire movie was HUGE and awesome!
    -The humor was non-stop!
    -The action was non-stop!
    -The pacing was great... it slowed down once
    -Chris Pratt is a good actor
    -Zoe Saldana is not
    -This interpretation of Drax is totally different than the comics, but was very funny... and Dave Bautista is not a very good actor either
    -Ronan is a well designed villain and the actor gave a great performance
    -I am not digging the movie version of the Nova Corp at all...
    -A couple of plot logic holes... but who cares?

This is my favorite Marvel movie now... dethroning Avengers by a hair
  • Options
    I'm torn on Dave Bautista...

His character was supposed to be the straight man... an alien who took everything literally... but every time he delivered his "straight" lines, it felt to me like he knew he was part of the joke... nudge nudge wink wink kind of thing...

his character to me... seemed the most... self aware... like he breaks the 4th wall every time he tried to play the straight man... coz he knows its supposed to be funny... maybe it's just me

When he doesn't make those literal jokey statements... then he is fine... like when he talks about his dead wife and daughter and killing Ronan and Thanos... i guess he's used to delivering angry lines from his WWE days...
  • Options
    Greg said:

I love it when a movie gets you so hyped that you feel like a kid again waiting to see Star Wars for the very first time. It's a joy that feels like total despair, like your whole life is going to come crashing down if you don't see this movie and you have to see it today because it will be gone tomorrow.

I totally agree. That is how excited I am for this also, and I probably won't be THIS excited until Star Wars Episode VII.
  • Options
    oh... and Rocket... he begins as clearly Bradley Cooper doing the voice... and then quickly he's just Rocket and you don't even think about Bradley Cooper
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308

"...and I'm going to need that guy's leg!"

"...and that guy's eye!"
  • Options
    ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Soars to Biggest Thursday Box Office Opening of the Year

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/guardians-galaxy-soars-biggest-thursday-box-office-opening-145012416.html
    Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” got off to a rousing start on Thursday, rocketing to $11.2 million in late night preview screenings. That’s the biggest pre-opening total of the year, besting another Marvel title, “Captain America: The Winter Soldier’s” $10.2 million start in April. Roughly $1.9 million of “Guardian’s” initial haul came from Imax screenings.

Despite lacking a top-shelf superhero in the form of Captain America or Thor, the comic book adaptation is on track for the biggest August opening in history, topping “The Bourne Ultimatum’s” $69.3 million bow. It is expected to premiere to north of $75 million, but could soar even higher given that “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” debuted to $95 million this spring and this film is hitting loftier numbers.

The film is a record-breaker in another sense. It will have the widest August opening in history when it expands to 4,080 theaters on Friday, nearly 3,200 of which are in 3D, carrying with them surcharges. Overseas, the film will debut in 42 international territories including the United Kingdom, Russia, Brazil, Mexico and South Korea. The picture carries an $170 million production budget.

Overseas, the film is off to a strong start, racking up $2.3 million in the United Kingdom and Ireland, nabbing $3.5 million in Russia, and generating $1.6 million across several South and Central American countries such as Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay.
  • Options
    I think I know how Vinny Chase must've felt waiting to hear the box office numbers when "Aquaman" premiered.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited August 2014
    Came here to post that, since I haven't seen it yet, I hate you all. Like, a lot.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

that is a thing?

Which basically means its going to be the biggest August release ever. Which isn't that surprising. August tends to be a little quiet, but this movie could have been a June or July release.
    I guess I am just cynical about this "biggest XXX of all time." first, the qualifications seem cheap (do I care what the biggest February 4-day weekend opening is? Should I?) Plus, I would love to see stats based on tickets sold rather than dollars. I mean, when Gone with the Wind was in theaters, tickets were a lot cheaper. Finally, I personally only care if a movie makes money if I want to see a sequel (see: Veronica Mars, Serenity). In this case, it's already been announced, so I am less interested.
  • Options

Planeis said:

that is a thing?

Which basically means its going to be the biggest August release ever. Which isn't that surprising. August tends to be a little quiet, but this movie could have been a June or July release.
    I guess I am just cynical about this "biggest XXX of all time." first, the qualifications seem cheap (do I care what the biggest February 4-day weekend opening is? Should I?) Plus, I would love to see stats based on tickets sold rather than dollars. I mean, when Gone with the Wind was in theaters, tickets were a lot cheaper. Finally, I personally only care if a movie makes money if I want to see a sequel (see: Veronica Mars, Serenity). In this case, it's already been announced, so I am less interested.
    And you call yourself a geek.

[-(
  • Options

Planeis said:

that is a thing?

It's kind of a victory lap for everyone who supported the movie through the whole "Marvel's biggest risk?" "Marvel's first flop?" "What is Marvel thinking?" thing that dominated the narrative up until the reviews started coming up.

As for sequels, this is part of the Marvel movie universe series. The success of a left field choice encourages Marvel to try more, riskier projects (Darkhawk, anyone? I jest!) so it does matter in that sense.
  • Options

It's kind of a victory lap for everyone who supported the movie through the whole "Marvel's biggest risk?" "Marvel's first flop?" "What is Marvel thinking?" thing that dominated the narrative up until the reviews started coming up.

As for sequels, this is part of the Marvel movie universe series. The success of a left field choice encourages Marvel to try more, riskier projects (Darkhawk, anyone? I jest!) so it does matter in that sense.

Right on both counts!

Regarding the first count, gotta love the "Toldjaso Factor."
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Marvel just does things better. My word was this a wonderful movie.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Planeis said:

that is a thing?

Its already been announced because they know beyond a shadow of a doubt its going to be successful. If it wasn't tracking so good they would not have done that and if it flopped we'd never hear about a sequal. But they already know its not going to.

• Options
    Every time I see theres a new reply to this thread, a little part of me dies.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    @TheOriginalGMan‌ You do it to yourself, dude.
  • Options

(Spoiler)

Oh....My...God....HOWARD THE DUCK!!!!

Both a gift to the fans and a declaration that they can do ANYTHING at this point.

Five seconds of screen time have redeemed him from the embarrassment of The Flop.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    What I didn't notice was whether he was wearing pants.

Now that Disney owns him, he shouldn't have to.*

*First time anybody had their pants sued ON.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    WetRats said:

I quite enjoyed Zoe Saldana's performance and I REALLY enjoyed Dave Bautista.

I agree. when I first saw Bautista was in the movie I thought, "Good Grief! Another stupid wrestler that can't act shoved into a movie toplay the heavy". I was happily surprised. I enjoyed the heck out of Drax. Everybody had a nice little arc.
  • Options
    I see those new posts popping up on the spoiler thread. I know they're just doing it to piss me off. Bastards.

Oh, how they task me! /Khan
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    *sigh*

24 1/2 hours to go...