Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Totally envious, Chuck! Where do you rank it in the Pantheon of Marvel films?
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I have difficulty ranking the films the way the rest of you guys do... I didn't like it as much as the Avengers, which I consider the best of the bunch, and I think the Captain America movies were better... so I guess I'd rank Guardians just behind the Cap films, in fourth place. But that's strictly my opinion.
  • Options
    High praise, indeed.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
  • Options
    I would love it if Marvel came out with a trade which had the first appearance issues of each of the GotG characters in it. I'm pretty sure I have Rocket, Star Lord, and Drax from other trades, but I would love to read Groot and Gamora's first appearances, but I'm sure that Tales to Astonish issue is pretty pricey these days. I would buy a trade just to read those issues.

Of course I would love a Marvel trade that had a whole collection of those giant monster characters from titles like Tales to Astonish and others.
  • Options
    Royal_LanternRoyal_Lantern Posts: 291
    edited July 2014
    I just saw that there are 3 volumes of Marvel Masterworks Tales to Astonish an volume 2 has the Groot story in it. I may need to get those.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2014
    This is like @Chuck_Melville‌ scoring with the hottest girl in school and telling all the guys in the locker room! I'm a little jealous, but way to go, man!

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited July 2014
    @Chuck_Melville‌
    Question about GotG suitability for kids?
    My daughter turns 9 next Wednesday. I've got a free pass for a pre-release GotG screening from my LCS for that night. She is dying to see it (she has watched the trailers online plenty of times), and is a huge Marvel fan (she is getting a lizard for her birthday, which she has already named "Fin Fang Foom").

Normally I like to pre-screen stuff that my kids watch.
    I doubt that I will risk it, but this is a great opportunity, and I would love to take her as a surprise for her Birthday.
    She has watched most of the Harry Potter films and all the Star Wars (yes... even the dreaded prequels), with no ill effects. Where does GotG fall in relation to those films? swearing? violence level? sexy time?

Dads need to know this stuff.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

I would love it if Marvel came out with a trade which had the first appearance issues of each of the GotG characters in it. I'm pretty sure I have Rocket, Star Lord, and Drax from other trades, but I would love to read Groot and Gamora's first appearances, but I'm sure that Tales to Astonish issue is pretty pricey these days. I would buy a trade just to read those issues.

Of course I would love a Marvel trade that had a whole collection of those giant monster characters from titles like Tales to Astonish and others.

They are coming this year. Announced at SDCC today. Expect promotions and solicits for them very soon.
  • Options
    Hex said:

I doubt that I will risk it, but this is a great opportunity, and I would love to take her as a surprise for her Birthday.
    She has watched most of the Harry Potter films and all the Star Wars (yes... even the dreaded prequels), with no ill effects. Where does GotG fall in relation to those films? swearing? violence level? sexy time?

Agree 100%
  • Options
    @Chuck_Melville I understand the post credits scene is not complete. Can you confirm that no post credits scene appeared at the press screening you attended?

moviepilot.com article

Also, happy belated birthday!
  • Options
    I'm not a parent, but I would think if she got through those other movies, then she would probably be fine for GotG. My only concern would be language if that would be an issue for you. Those other movies you mentioned didn't really have any foul language, but I have a feeling from the trailers alone that GotG will have a little.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    @Royal_Lantern‌ perhaps she could get through some of the scarier elements, but there's more to PG-13 films than the rating suggests. The films that @Hex's daughter has seen are all geared toward younger viewers (the first three Harry Potter films are only PG!). I don't think younger kids are the intended audience for GotG and therefore parents may run into more objectionable content than simply scary moments.

My son is 9 and the only full PG-13 films he's seen are the Hobbit films, and this was because he and I read the book together so no matter how scary it was, he would still know what should be happening next. And if something was different from the book, we would later be able to talk about why the director or screenwriter decided to change what was changed. He still gets creeped out at tense, scary moments, but he can usually handle it. The problem with PG-13 films is the potential myriad of objectionable content (sexy time and foul language) for younger kids. Unless you know exactly what is in the film, you could be in for some 'splainin later on (to both the kid and to mom--who is scarier). And this is all to say that he's just as excited for Big Hero 6, which may be the better film for him. My wife just told me yesterday that when he finishes 5th grade we could probably be much more lax on the PG-13 movies we take him to see.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

@Royal_Lantern‌ perhaps she could get through some of the scarier elements, but there's more to PG-13 films than the rating suggests. The films that @Hex's daughter has seen are all geared toward younger viewers (the first three Harry Potter films are only PG!). I don't think younger kids are the intended audience for GotG and therefore parents may run into more objectionable content than simply scary moments.

My son is 9 and the only full PG-13 films he's seen are the Hobbit films, and this was because he and I read the book together so no matter how scary it was, he would still know what should be happening next. And if something was different from the book, we would later be able to talk about why the director or screenwriter decided to change what was changed. He still gets creeped out at tense, scary moments, but he can usually handle it. The problem with PG-13 films is the potential myriad of objectionable content (sexy time and foul language) for younger kids. Unless you know exactly what is in the film, you could be in for some 'splainin later on (to both the kid and to mom--who is scarier). And this is all to say that he's just as excited for Big Hero 6, which may be the better film for him. My wife just told me yesterday that when he finishes 5th grade we could probably be much more lax on the PG-13 movies we take him to see.

Sounds like our approach to "films with the kids" is pretty much in sync. The Potter movies are OK for my girl, for a similar reason as the Hobbit films with your son... she has read the series at least four times, and knows what to expect. It helps soften the blow of the tense parts.

I might have to put off GotG with her until home viewing (or at least seeing it first myself). Kinda doubt the wife would give it the green light anyway. Big Hero 6 will be a mandatory family viewing on opening weekend.
  • Options
    Can't link to the article on my tablet but Jim Starlin says GOTG may be Marvel's best movie ever.
  • Options
    Portion of the review posted on ComicBookMovie.com:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/guardians_of_the_galaxy/news/?a=104248
    Go see this film! Better yet, take your family and friends with you to see this film. There’s something for everyone to be had. It not only has something for everyone, but it has a little bit of everything too: humor, emotion and action. Missing are the slow points typical in origin films as Guardians keeps a pretty quick pace. It’s a sci-fi romp through the galactic Wild West with a group of characters that you won’t want to end.

My initial reaction remains intact - Watch out Avengers, there's a new posse in town!
  • Options
    "Another Wave Of Overwhelmingly Positive Reviews For GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Hit"

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=104326
  • Options
    Hex said:

@Chuck_Melville‌
    Question about GotG suitability for kids?
    My daughter turns 9 next Wednesday. I've got a free pass for a pre-release GotG screening from my LCS for that night. She is dying to see it (she has watched the trailers online plenty of times), and is a huge Marvel fan (she is getting a lizard for her birthday, which she has already named "Fin Fang Foom").

I am absolutely the worst person to ask this question of. I'm generally of the mind that nothing should be censored and if a kid wants badly enough to see or read something, then let them. I really don't like or respect most of the rating systems in usage (with the exception of a NO CHILDREN rating; there are some things I wouldn't expose kids to, such as explicit sex or graphic violence that borders on vivisections). In specificity, though, it would depend entirely upon the individual child -- some may be too sensitive or unprepared for more adult themes or graphicness.

So... I dunno. It seemed find to me. If I was a nine-year old, you couldn't keep me away -- but I don't know how other nine-year olds would react. There was no sex, but there was plenty of violence, as you might expect. People die. Some of the action scenes get a little intense. But it all seemed to me like par for the course. I'd say if your daughter got through Star Wars and Harry Potter, then she should be okay for GOTG.

• Options
    edited July 2014

@Chuck_Melville I understand the post credits scene is not complete. Can you confirm that no post credits scene appeared at the press screening you attended?

moviepilot.com article

Also, happy belated birthday!

Since you brought it up, I'll admit that this was my one disappointment - the lack of a post-credit teaser. However, if they simply hadn't added it in yet, then all may be cool. I certainly intend to go see it again.

(And you haven't missed it yet -- today is my actual birthday!)
  • Options
    1) Happy birthday, ya bastard!

2) James Gunn has said he purposefully left the post-credits scene out of the sneak peaks / preview showings.
  • Options

I am absolutely the worst person to ask this question of. I'm generally of the mind that nothing should be censored and if a kid wants badly enough to see or read something, then let them. I really don't like or respect most of the rating systems in usage (with the exception of a NO CHILDREN rating; there are some things I wouldn't expose kids to, such as explicit sex or graphic violence that borders on vivisections). In specificity, though, it would depend entirely upon the individual child -- some may be too sensitive or unprepared for more adult themes or graphicness.

So... I dunno. It seemed find to me. If I was a nine-year old, you couldn't keep me away -- but I don't know how other nine-year olds would react. There was no sex, but there was plenty of violence, as you might expect. People die. Some of the action scenes get a little intense. But it all seemed to me like par for the course. I'd say if your daughter got through Star Wars and Harry Potter, then she should be okay for GOTG.

Thanks Chuck! I appreciate the response. And I pretty much agree with you, each child is an individual, and the ratings system isn't all that much help. I think I'm going to have to screen it first and judge it for myself if it will work for my daughter. Gives me a reason to see it twice in the theatre! I cannot wait to see this film!

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you are off to a good start (mine is tomorrow).
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited July 2014
    this was an awesome interview!

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/watch-the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-stars-and-91864119907.html

Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy opens in theaters August 1st — but before taking off to planets unknown, the movie’s stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Dave Bautista, director and co-writer James Gunn, and Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige stopped by the Yahoo campus Tuesday night to answer fan questions taken from our latest TumblrAsk.
  • Options
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited July 2014
    my latest mash-up:
    (Note: I posted this one in the Doctor Who thread as well.)

• Options
    Through the 1st 25 critic reviews, GotG still holding on to a 100% rating at Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/guardians_of_the_galaxy/
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    bamfbamf said:
    I'm not surprised. I read the "Strib" all the time and rarely agree with the movie reviews.

• Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited July 2014
    It's not even that bad a review. I do love that almost every article I've read includes the line "little known character from Marvel that debuted in 1969." Like it's too difficult to do basic research and see this isn't that group if little known characters, but an entirely different group of little known characters. I swear if do a spit take if I saw just one mainstream article that knew the difference.
  • Options
    Where's @WetRats‌ with the countdown??

In the meantime, here's a quick, yet hilarious, clip to hold you over:

http://youtu.be/wrKr72_tAag