Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Chris Pratt is a hard guy to dislike.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Chris Pratt is my new man-crush.
  • Options
    A friend of mine saw it at a pre-screening last night and his post on Facebook after seeing it just said that this movie is going to make a bazillion dollars. Considering he is usually pretty critical of movies, I took that as a great sign.
  • Options
    As of this morning, it's got a 39-3 record (93%) at Rotten Tomatoes. That's a record Jordan and the Bulls would've been envious of.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    You've already heard my verdict. And I'm going to see it again!
  • Options
    Preaching to the choir here, but ... "Top 10 Reasons Why Guardians of the Galaxy is Awesome"

http://www.popmatters.com/post/183990-the-top-10-reasons-why-guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-awesome/
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Trying so so SO hard to avoid reading or watching anything further in order to avoid any more spoilers. I don't want to know any more until I watch it in the theatre. It is killing me!
    I don't need any more info... I KNOW that I am going to love it.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2014
    < crybaby > My wife couldn't get the babysitter until Saturday...I have to wait to Saturday to see GotG!! aaaarrrrggghhh!!!!!!! :(( < /crybaby >

• Options

It's not even that bad a review. I do love that almost every article I've read includes the line "little known character from Marvel that debuted in 1969." Like it's too difficult to do basic research and see this isn't that group if little known characters, but an entirely different group of little known characters. I swear if do a spit take if I saw just one mainstream article that knew the difference.

This is why I like to pretend this movie has a completely different title. I love the Charlie-27/Vance Astro group so much that I almost decided to boycott this flick
  • Options

I have found it in me to do so
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

It's not even that bad a review. I do love that almost every article I've read includes the line "little known character from Marvel that debuted in 1969." Like it's too difficult to do basic research and see this isn't that group if little known characters, but an entirely different group of little known characters. I swear if do a spit take if I saw just one mainstream article that knew the difference.

This is why I like to pretend this movie has a completely different title. I love the Charlie-27/Vance Astro group so much that I almost decided to boycott this flick

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Does it REALLY matter if they are little known characters? Shouldn't that make it better for the reviewers because they don't have any pre-conceptions? Most movies aren't based on decades long, well known characters. And the ones critics tend to like are the most original, so.... that should be a plus.
  • Options

Um... congratulations?
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Does it REALLY matter if they are little known characters? Shouldn't that make it better for the reviewers because they don't have any pre-conceptions? Most movies aren't based on decades long, well known characters. And the ones critics tend to like are the most original, so.... that should be a plus.
    In early 1977, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa, Chewbacca, Obi Wan Kenobi, R2-D2, C3PO and Darth Vader were "little-known characters".
  • Options
    Planeis said:

It doesn't matter at all. Lazy cut & paste journalism does. Not that this is a truly important story, it's just irksome.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

It's not that far off, though. They may not be the same characters, but the concept of Guardians of the Galaxy was introduced back then. You could argue that the X-Men introduced in films back in the '90s weren't the X-Men introduced in comics back in the '60s (or even the ones in the '70s), but I don't think most people analyze it enough to make that distinction.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    GotG continues to hold strong at Rotten Tomatoes, improving to 50-4 thus far (93% fresh):

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/guardians_of_the_galaxy/reviews/

I particularly like this quote from the critic at the Arizona Republic ... "Really, "woo-hoo!" just about covers it."

• Options
    TWENTY-NINE HOURS!
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited July 2014
    Vin Diesel Says I Am Groot in Multiple Languages
    http://youtu.be/jM4Step_EXE
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited July 2014
    chrisw said:

It's not that far off, though. They may not be the same characters, but the concept of Guardians of the Galaxy was introduced back then. You could argue that the X-Men introduced in films back in the '90s weren't the X-Men introduced in comics back in the '60s (or even the ones in the '70s), but I don't think most people analyze it enough to make that distinction.
    True, but even the concept is pretty different. Classic Guardians and new Guardians really only share the name. It's not a big deal, I just wish one mainstream reviewer had also been a fan also.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

chrisw said:

True, but even the concept is pretty different. Classic Guardians and new Guardians really only share the name. It's not a big deal, I just wish one mainstream reviewer has also been a fan also.
    They're probably all getting their information from a press release, anyway, which means that someone at Marvel Studios probably didn't bother to elaborate. I often get the impression that research isn't always a priority for entertainment journalists.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited July 2014
    FCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Business Insider already spoiled the end credits scene...

WHY IN GODS NAME DID I CLICK ON THE LINK?!?!?!?!?!?!
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited July 2014
    bamfbamf said:

FCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Business Insider already spoiled the end credits scene...

WHY IN GODS NAME DID I CLICK ON THE LINK?!?!?!?!?!?!

Sorry to hear that and with that I better just leave the internet and social media till I see it. See you fellas Saturday!

• Options
    GotG with a 91% "Fresh" rating (63-6) heading into today. Same as "Dawn of the PotA"

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/guardians_of_the_galaxy/

Hoping to see it this weekend (if my wife lets me :-) )
  • Options
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Finally.... :)