Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    anyone seen it twice yet?

;)
  • Options
    "3 new posts" ... You think I'm fallling for that spoiler thread boys? Ha!
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

anyone seen it twice yet?

;)

I think I hate you the most.
  • Options
    I will see it a second time tomorrow night. It'll be my first time for the end credits teaser, though.
  • Options
    I love this description from Entertainment Weekly:
    If the Avengers are the New York Yankees of the Marvel universe — a collection of slick all-stars for whom victory is more or less a given — then the "Guardians of the Galaxy" are the "Bad News Bears."
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Whoa. If that's true I'm pretty sure its going to be the first movie of the year to really surpass expectations. All the other big movies (Cap, Transformers, Godzilla etc) opened pretty much inline with what they were being predicted to based on the presale tracking.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

I love this description from Entertainment Weekly:

If the Avengers are the New York Yankees of the Marvel universe — a collection of slick all-stars for whom victory is more or less a given — then the "Guardians of the Galaxy" are the "Bad News Bears."
    Agree. I was thinking about the Bad News Bears throughout it-- it's like the Avengers don't need to believe in themselves, they need to believe they would even need to work with someone else. Where the Guardians need to believe in themselves, and be convinced anyone would even want to work with them.
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    Just saw it and loved it! I never read the latest version of Guardians, so I had no pre-conceived expectations. I thought everyone did a pretty good job. I, too, am not keen on this take of the Nova Corps. I do, however, want to know who Nova Prime's assistant is. She is HOT! I never would have expected Howard The Duck but thought it was clever. I was surprised at how many people in the packed audience stuck around for the end scene. I wonder how many of them were like, "We waited for this?!?" because they don't know who Howard is. Overall, I really enjoyed it and can't wait for the second one.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I'm not sure what I saw. I enjoyed and I will see it again. But that was so different from what I have seen from a Marvel movie and I am still digesting it.

I can say that originally Hooked On A Feeling being in the trailer seemed kind of forced and contrived to make it cool. But I got to say I can't imagine the movie without the soundtrack and how the music was this bond between a mother and her son. So happy to see he got Vol. 2.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Saw it, liked it a lot, but.......

I did not like Michael Rooker in this film, it felt like I was watching Merle Dixon with a blue face. I've seen him in a lot of other roles and I know he can act but in GotG he seemed like he was recycling his portrayal of Merle and using it for Yondu. I do not blame Michael Rooker, this obviously falls on the director.

I was really impressed with the make-up job they did I thought Gamora, Nebula and Ronan they looked way better than I thought they would. I was barely able to recognize Karen Gillan and did not recognize Lee Pace.

Hands down Gillan and Pace's acting was beyond what I was expecting. They did a great job and along with most of the cast in this movie. The one who I was most worried about was Dave Batista, but I think he was cast perfectly not just for his body shape but his acting performance was a good fit for Drax.

This movie ranks in my top 5 of Marvel movies and will probably see it again (time permitting) and will definitely buy the DVD/Blu-ray.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Saw it yesterday and was surprised that how many people still walk out after the credits start to roll. When Howard appeared on screen I heard a lot more HOWARD !!!!! than Who ????

Sad that Ronan is gone hopefully they will think of a way to bring him back.

Glad that they did not reveal that Peter was half Sparta gives them something for the next movie.

Glenn Close was waste as Nova Prime, she needed a meatier role or put someone else in the role.

Cosmo !!!!! although I wish he had a line like in the after credit after Howard said his line he could of said "How asked you" in a thick Russian accent.

Great use of music. Is it sad that I've had almost all those songs on my iPod for years?

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I liked it but I still think Winter Soldier is far better.

Pratt is so likable in Parks and Rec and I liked him here, too. Inserting humor into a sci-fi premise is a nice touch; it reminded me of Serenity. It is obvious they are building several properties (Nova, Kree, Guardians, Thanos) that will be part of Marvel Cosmic and/or Marvel Avengers projects going forward. This may end up being the key movie for Marvel, and who would of thought that.

At the same time, I do think this movie is aimed at fluent comic readers to an almost absurd degree. I'm not conversant in Marvel Cosmic information, nor do I know the full background of Nova, the Kree, Thanos, etc., but the film gives virtually no exposition of who these people are and why they are important and how they link up. Give me a stack of the Thanos/Marvel Cosmic titles going all the way back to the mid-70s and then let me watch this movie again, and I swear I pick up many more references and enjoy the movie much more. And I guess that would be a criticism of the entire thing. Other properties (Jason Bourne, James Bond, etc.) don't require prior knowledge of their texts to nearly the same degree.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    Just got back from seeing this and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
  • Options
    T minus 2 hours for me!
  • Options
    Oh shoot! I think GOTG could be considered Marvel Studio's Fantastic Four! Not blood family but they are establishing a bond. Rocket and Groot are Ben and Johnny! Gamora and Peter are the romantic couple! They are space travelers and adventurers! And you got Drax as a bonus. I got to believe this is what an FF movie done by Marvel would look or feel like.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I want to see this movie everyday until it's not there any longer.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Should the two threads be amalgamated at least by Sunday night?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    11 minutes....
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    edited August 2014
    Turns out the hot assistant (Mikeala Hoover) has a long-running relationship with director James Gunn.

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
  • Options
    Saw it. Loved it. Great humor, lots of action. Fun characters,design/sets, Ronan, a water fowl and Celestials! My only thing I am not that excited for is Thanos. Could clearly see Josh Brolin's face in the animation but he just doesn't seem terrifying to me. Hope I'm wrong.
    CELESTIALS!!!

It's funny. I finally saw Transformers 4, with a huge budget and massive special effects and it was blown out of the water by GotG.

Can't wait for GotG2.
  • Options
    Faaaaantastic!

Thanos!
    Celestials!
    Cosmo!
    Oh my!

Imagine someone telling you a few years ago you're going to see a movie with Rocket Racoon and Howard the Duck...and love it!

Wonderful movie and I can't wait to see it again!
    Flagwaver said:

Turns out the hot assistant (Mikeala Hoover) has a long-running relationship with director James Gunn.

Oh yes, noticed her right away..hot hot hot!

• Options
    Not a fan of how Yondu was done or the Novas...but not enough to lower my love of this movie. 5/5
  • Options

My only thing I am not that excited for is Thanos. Could clearly see Josh Brolin's face in the animation

Yup, noticed that too. His face has changed from a Starlin Thanos at the end of Avengers to this one.

• Options
    Best superhero movie ever!
  • Options
    Saw it, bitches! Best superhero movie ever!

(note: I haven't seen Winter Soldier yet)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited August 2014
    I think it was a lot of fun. I feel like they went big by going for an action comedy tone-- which is to say, as funny as prior Marvel Studio films have been, this one really kicked just about all gravitas and most of the groundedness to the door and went for it. It was the sort of thing that could have totally fallen on its face, been cloying, or felt like it was trying too hard. But I feel like it was skillfully made, tight, and full of charm, and therefore it totally worked.

Personally, I think I still like the Marvel movies that are more Earthbound, and I don't mind some grit, gravitas, and an attempt at being about something. (Which is to say, to make recent comparisons, I liked Winter Soldier and Avengers better). But I think for out and out trippy, otherworldly space opera, this makes Thor: The Dark World seem overlong and stiff by comparison.

Good stuff. Fun. And I like that it is on material that, sure, some of us know, but most of the audiences come in not presold on what it will be. Which makes the sale that it made that much more impressive. I think it deserves the business it is doing, and I am glad there will be more.

PS- And I love that, after the stinger, we got to see "Howard the Duck Created by Steve Gerber and Val Mayerik". Which was a class move on Marvel's part. (And I hope that checks to them, or their heirs in Gerber's case, went with that)
  • Options
    Wasn't one of the Dark elves in one of the collectors cases laying down the first time and also one of the alien warriors from avengers? Anything else I missed? Freaking fun movie.