Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Avengers Movie (Spoilery Thread - Enter at own risk)

Comments

• Options
    The list is now:

1. Avengers
    2. Spidey 2
    3. X2
    4. Dark Knight
    5. Iron Man

That was a nice 8 year run as my favorite comic movie of all time by Spidey 2 and it took a great movie to do it.
    Mine is more like:

1. Avengers
    2. Captain America
    3. Incredible Hulk
    4. Iron Man
    5. Spider-Man 2
    6. X-Men 2

I think Dark Knight is overrated. I think the script is over wrought and ponderous, and the ending is complete bullshit. I like the Joker and Alfred and Fox. Masterful performances. But I get sick of people holding it up as a comic book movie masterpiece. I feel it only achieves this acclaim by SEEMING to be a "smarter" more complex movie... You know, one the educated elite are not ashamed to be seen watching. Bah.... it's insulting. I have seen what heights comics are capable of, and I EXPECT it from the movies... sadly most do not achieve those heights, or anything resembling them. Don't get me wrong... it's a good movie... a great one, even, but not a masterpiece.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    FX is showing Iron Man which came out in 2008 and just a short four years later the line at the beginning in the Humvee, "I don't want to see this on your Myspace page." is soooo outdated now. Remember how Iron Man was seen as a gamble since he was not well known to the public? Paid off big-time didn't it?
  • Options
    I liked everything else about it except how the Hulk looked. Lucas does it why not Marvel/Disney.
    I thought he looked perfect in this movie. And ILM animated him, so I'm not sure how "Lucas" could have done any better than his best people, including our own @mrfusion.

Actually when I said I didnt like how the Hulk looked I was referring to the last Hulk in "The Incredible Hulk" movie with Ed Norton. This one was the best. More monstrous and well...hulking. Perfect. So it would be cool if they took Avenger Hulk and put him in that movie. Unfortunately that is a pipe dream.

Hopefully we will be hearing from Mr. Fusion on the show soon.

Ah. Once again my reading comprehension skills fail me.

That makes so much more sense.

Sorry.
    Hey after this weekend, who can think straight? :)
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    There had to be one death of someone close to the team for them to actually avenge something. Coulson was the least important recognizable character in the movie so it seemed obvious that if anyone was to buy the farm it would be him. Was anyone actually surprised to see him go - especially when Hill is so overtly being positioned throughout the film as his replacement? The hot chick is always going to take precedence over the balding middle-aged character actor.

On another note, several people I know who don't read comics and haven't really seen all the recent movies have asked if they could understand what's going on in the film. I told them they'd have a good time but would likely find it a bit confusing if they focused too much on some of the details.

As a non-Marvel guy who's never read anything remotely featuring Hawkeye, I'd have liked to have at least some origin or biographical sketch provided in the film. He's introduced and then off-screen for a considerable amount of time that I felt Renner is the Avenger who gets a little shortchanged.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Of the hundred or so people I've talked to, every one raved about The Hulk.

Finally, after decades of only seeing mopey emo Bruce & David Banners, the world knows what The Hulk is supposed to be like.

And they love him!
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Did Kirby get "created by" credit along with Stan? Have my fingers crossed since Ditko got the same treatment with Spider-Man...
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I'm not sure I can add much to all the great stuff everyone has posted.

I can tell you my FCBD was a total bummer, I had to wait in line forever for the IMAX showing, paid $15 for the ticket, then had to sit in the very top corner behind a wall. I was so angry I was wondering why I was even there. After 2 hours and 23 minutes I walked out of that theater like I was 8 again, so excited to see such a great movie. I went home right after the IMAX showing, picked up the wife, and went right back for the midnight showing.

I am not very familiar with Whedon, but I think he did a great job of giving each Avenger pretty equal screen time, and everyone had at least 3 great lines. I fully expected it to be an Iron Man/Thor/Cap movie, but he really had a great mix of them all. I will probaly see it every weekend until it goes out of theaters (probably sometime next year) :)
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    Did Kirby get "created by" credit along with Stan? Have my fingers crossed since Ditko got the same treatment with Spider-Man...
    Yes, I believe I saw that in the credits.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Saw it on Friday (first time in ages I've gone to see a movie at noon, but I wanted to beat the crowds) and loved it.

It was a little slow starting off - Hawkeye is the Avenger audiences know the least about, so showing him briefly and then swiftly turning him into Loki's slave left me a little detached at the beginning. It was necessary set-up, but it felt clumsy compared to the rest of the film, and the explosions felt like an attempt to mask that.

Once that was done, though, the rest of the film moved quickly and didn't bore at all. It didn't feel at all like it was nearly two and a half hours. Excellent mix of character moments and action, other films could learn from this. The Transformers films have never done anything but alternately bore me and give me a headache, but this films shows you can have massive CGI action sequences and tell a story at the same time. It wasn't deep, but it entertained and did it about as well as any blockbuster I've seen. It really felt like something that was fine-tuned to be as fast-paced and enjoyable as possible, with anything that slowed it down cut.

It took them three films and three actors, but they finally got the Hulk right. This is a Hulk I could imagine in a franchise. Bana and Norton are fine actors, but their performances never seemed to go any deeper than the moody fugitive we had for years on the old Bill Bixby television show. Ruffalo's Banner is more complex, and much more likable as a result.

Scarlett Johansson was a big surprise. She's so monotone and one-note in much of what I've seen her in, and she was still a little bit here, but it worked. I thought she was better here than in Iron Man 2.

I also thought Downey was better here than in the last Iron Man. He seemed a little more fired up, and without having to carry the entire film, every scene he was in mattered, so we lost of the deadwood that popped up a little in Iron Man 2.

Hemsworth and Evans were fine, though they still seem a little out of their league in comparison with some of the Oscar-nominated actors they share the screen with. I'm not sure if they've found the right tone yet with modern day Captain America - sometimes he worked for me, sometimes he felt annoyingly earnest. I think they're a little further along with Thor, and Hemsworth does his best, though Thor in a natural setting works best as an action character, not someone you want in a lot of dialogue-heavy scenes, and that seemed to be the way they handled him.

Hiddleston's Loki worked better than I expected. I wasn't too thrilled to hear he was the main villain, as it seemed to be a retread of Thor, but with all the things they had to put in place, it made sense to keep the threat as simple as possible. It's basically Loki wants to open a portal, and that's all they needed.

Really liked the fact that unlike the other superhero team film we've had, Fantastic Four, they actually spent the money to give us plenty of action sequences, big and small. It always amazed me that they'd make a film with the FF, and then barely have them do anything.

Overall, I loved the film, can't wait to see it again, and can't wait for the next one. I hope they bring Whedon back - I can't help but think he's a big part of why the story worked so well and moved so quickly.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    The worst part of the Loki vs. Hulk scene for me was somebody went out of the theater a few minutes before that scene then got lost coming back. I turned to look at them for a second and I missed Hulk grabbing Loki.
  • Options
    The worst part of the Loki vs. Hulk scene for me was somebody went out of the theater a few minutes before that scene then got lost coming back. I turned to look at them for a second and I missed Hulk grabbing Loki.
    So did Loki!

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

It was a little slow starting off - Hawkeye is the Avenger audiences know the least about, so showing him briefly and then swiftly turning him into Loki's slave left me a little detached at the beginning. It was necessary set-up, but it felt clumsy compared to the rest of the film, and the explosions felt like an attempt to mask that.

Agreed, that was my main problem with the film.
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    I must have such a blindspot. The most frequent criticism of the film I've seen is that it's slow to get going, but I just cannot see it.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    I watched it opening night and came back the next day to watch it again. This movie was awesome. I had my doubts that they would be able to bring all these characters together without it feeling forced but I was very wrong.
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    I loved seeing Project Pegasus in the beginning.
    I'm rewatching Iron Man 2 right now, and that name is stamped on a crate delivered to Stark's house, but you can't see the entire thing clearly. Did anyone else catch that?
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I must have such a blindspot. The most frequent criticism of the film I've seen is that it's slow to get going, but I just cannot see it.
    Slow may not be the best way to describe it, as it was about as fast-paced as the rest of the film. For me, it was just one of the few scenes that felt like it was simply there to set things up, with little else going for it. It needed to be done, but when the rest of the film did such a great job of weaving in plot among so many great moments, that scene stuck out like a sore thumb for me.
  • Options
    Slow may not be the best way to describe it, as it was about as fast-paced as the rest of the film. For me, it was just one of the few scenes that felt like it was simply there to set things up, with little else going for it. It needed to be done, but when the rest of the film did such a great job of weaving in plot among so many great moments, that scene stuck out like a sore thumb for me.
    I thought the opening provided a necessary baseline of "normal" humans versus the threat of Loki before bringing in the "supers".
  • Options
    The weirdest part of the beginning for me was the other realm scene because I had to start realizing how much the universe has expanded. Thor opened the door and this movie blew it open.
  • Options
    One thing I've not seen mentioned enough about this film is the score. One big letdown with previous films was the lack of a stellar soundtrack (I did like Cap though) and this one seems to have it right, with an iconic theme.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    "No telling what the black magic it took to send you here cost father Odin" (I think that's the line, but close)

An infinity Gauntlet could probably do something like that right?

And near the end all I could think of was......if he ever has to do one again ain't NOBODY going to cancel or show in the wrong order a Whedon TV series ever again.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    One thing I'm loving as a result of the movie is seeing kids of all ages raving over the Hulk and watching them do their best 'HULK SMASH!"
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I'm rewatching Iron Man 2 right now, and that name is stamped on a crate delivered to Stark's house, but you can't see the entire thing clearly. Did anyone else catch that?
    Didn't realize that was Project Pegasus! Just one more reason to go see it again!
  • Options
    LOVED THIS MOVIE!!! Like everyone else I really enjoyed Hulk vs Loki.I felt like I was watching a comic come to life watching this.Now if only DC could do a JLA movie like this.
  • Options
    Didn't realize that was Project Pegasus! Just one more reason to go see it again!
    I didn't thnk it was, I thought it was a dark energy experiment. Damn, now I have to watch it again! :P
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    good catch - had to look it up

Photobucket
    The crates containing Tony's new particle accelerator are marked "Project Pegasus." Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S. (Potential Energy Group/Alternate Sources/United States) is a facility for the Department of Energy and based in the Adirondacks that is devoted to research in alternative energies. In the films, PEGASUS is the designation for SHIELD's facility charged with analyzing the Tesseract.
    source: moviemet.com/news/marvel-studios-annotations-iron-man-2
  • Options
    As the lone comic book reader amongst my group of friends, I had the "privilege" of seeing this movie 4 times over the weekend. I am impressed at how well it holds up to multiple viewings. This also beneficial because the first 2 times I saw it, I missed lines because the audience was laughing and cheering so loudly.

My favorite aspect of the movie was the characterization. Every character had a voice and an outlook that was clear and consistent. I love the fact that in this universe the two smartest people (Banner and Stark) also have amazing personality. Black Widow is so pragmatic that during Cap and Iron Man's argument she nods in agreement whenever one of them makes a valid point. Thor is all at once magnanimous, intimidating and wise, and this is a characterization carried over from his film. Cap is simple and old-fashioned, but in a way that shows the error and pettiness of modern thinking.

And Cap's line "There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure He doesn't dress like that" made me spit Dr. Pepper all over the back of the seat in front of me.
  • Options
    Went to Target this afternoon to pick up Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America on DVD.

They were all sold out.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Went to Target this afternoon to pick up Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America on DVD.

They were all sold out.
    they are all on netflix