Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Avengers Movie (Spoilery Thread - Enter at own risk)

12346»

Comments

• Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Saw it last night. I thought it was an awesome Whedon movie and I was impressed with his use of effects and 3D. Some things were moving too fast to really see, but that's my only criticism.

The thing I did not expect from this -- It increased my like and interest in Black Widow and Hulk, both characters I generally am not a huge fan of. I recently picked up the full Daredevil run with Black Widow, so may actually start reading it sooner than I thought.

Ruffalo was awesome as the hulk and Downey was awesome. The Cap + Iron Man joint leadership of the Avengers definitely comes through, which has always been one of my favorite parts of The Avengers. Loved the Gwyneth Paltrow scenes -- I think they were very important for Iron Man's character. Glad they stayed in.

I wonder if others who saw it in 3D caught the one shot that Whedon did which was a great use of 3D. During the fight in NYC there's a shot of a bunch of cars blowing up and flipping over. At one point, your POV shifts to the inside of a car and the car stays fixed while the outside rolls around it. Film school nerd in me loved that shot.
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    @Trev - I haven't seen it in 3D, but I was impressed with a lot of the camera work. Whedon is really growing as a filmmaker, compared to what we saw in Serenity.
    The inside-the-car cam was brilliant.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879

I wonder if others who saw it in 3D caught the one shot that Whedon did which was a great use of 3D. During the fight in NYC there's a shot of a bunch of cars blowing up and flipping over. At one point, your POV shifts to the inside of a car and the car stays fixed while the outside rolls around it. Film school nerd in me loved that shot.
    I didnt see it in 3D and I remember thinking that was an awesome and inventive shot.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    @Trev - I haven't seen it in 3D, but I was impressed with a lot of the camera work. Whedon is really growing as a filmmaker, compared to what we saw in Serenity.
    The inside-the-car cam was brilliant.
    I loved the long shot that took us all around the battle without any cuts.

• Options
    My review: http://www.rpsteeves.com/2012/05/avengers-i-saw-it-i-review-it.html
    I pretty much agree note for note.

What were the lines you thought fell flat?

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited May 2012
    'Avengers' Damage to Manhattan Would Cost $160 Billion, Disaster Expert Estimates (Exclusive)
    hollywoodreporter.com

Loving this bit:
    "Given the involvement of individuals considered deities in some cultures (Thor, Loki), there is even the potential to classify the event as an 'act of God,' though that designation would be subject to strenuous theological and legal debate."
    http://hurricane.methaz.org/avengers_estimate.pdf
    As a quasi-governmental organization, S.H.I.E.L.D. is in all likelihood protected from liability through
    sovereign immunity. While gratitude over repelling the invasion will persist in the short term, in the
    longer term the events leading up to the opening of the portal will in all likelihood be examined in detail,
    and that immunity probed for legal weakness (recall the regulatory and legal consequences to the
    Ghostbusters over the Gozer incident of 1984). In addition, there was considerable collateral damage of
    questionable necessity by at least one of the S.H.I.E.L.D. operatives (Hulk). Given the dollar amounts
    involved, the litigiousness of American society, and the high density of skilled attorneys surviving in the
    New York City area, the exact classification of this event, financial liability, and ultimate responsibility
    will no doubt be subject to extensive litigation for many years to come.
  • Options
    'Avengers' Damage to Manhattan Would Cost $160 Billion, Disaster Expert Estimates (Exclusive)
    hollywoodreporter.com
    Loved this:

Watson said he was surprised by a lower-than-expected total. "Compared to the aliens in Independence Day, for example, these guys were amateurs," he told THR. "Of course, the Chitauri/Loki alliance were more interested in conquest and ruling, whereas the ID aliens were just looking for lunch or something."
  • Options
    One that stuck out from Fury, early on, something about how until the world ends, he'll act as though it intends to spin on. That seemed like awkward phrasing to me. There were a couple others in the beginning, but since I can't really remember too many more (and I remember more of the good lines anyway), it was a minor quibble.
    My review: http://www.rpsteeves.com/2012/05/avengers-i-saw-it-i-review-it.html
    I pretty much agree note for note.

What were the lines you thought fell flat?

• Options
    DAMAGE CONTROL MOVIE!!!
  • Options
    DAMAGE CONTROL MOVIE!!!
    I was thinking the same thing.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I finally saw it tonight....THANOS!!!!!

'nuff said.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Finally got to see it. I thought it was fantastic!

My girlfriend loved it as well.
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    Anyone else think they missed an opportunity by not having the nuke-launching pilot have a "Captain Danvers" nametag?
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    Anyone else think they missed an opportunity by not having the nuke-launching pilot have a "Captain Danvers" nametag?
    There such a thing as too many Easter eggs?
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    There such a thing as too many Easter eggs?
    No as long as it is not blatantly put out there. If its a bunch of subtle things then the fans will love it and everyone else wont notice.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I finally saw it tonight....THANOS!!!!!

'nuff said.