Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Flash

Comments

• Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    FYI:

William Shatner live tweets episodes of The Flash each week!

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526

Did anyone else find it jarring to go from, “Hey, dude, sorry you're a nuclear bomb,” to, “I'll eat a ghost pepper if you don't go out with me,” so abruptly? Or is that just me?

And if I knew back in my youth that all I had to do was eat a ghost pepper to get a hot girl to go out with me, I’d probably have to have an artificial stomach now.

Nope. I didn't think it was jarring. I thought it was kind of cute to be honest. I mean, for a CW show.
  • Options
    Just a little jarring. He's the Flash... he can quickly break away and do some personal business.
  • Options
    Storywise, I did find it a bit jarring; kind of like it was shoehorned in. I didn't have a problem with the relationship troubles overall, but that one scene felt out of place. Maybe it should have been held over for the next episode.
  • Options

Just a little jarring. He's the Flash... he can quickly break away and do some personal business.

I'm not talking about the cutaway itself, but the complete 180º mood swing, going from consoling a guy who's got two hours to live (and that terrible segueway in the dialogue) to doing a silly stunt to impress a girl. I'm all about building tension and then throwing in a bit of comedy relief before building the tension to its climax, but this felt off to me—too forced. Like the writers were trying to hit their formulaic beats and weren't really sure how to do it.

I don't know. I started tuning in when Agent Carter started, since it comes on right before. I want to like this show, and it's certainly not the worst show on TV, superhero or otherwise, but once Agent Carter is over I'll probably go back to not watching. There are elements of the show I like, but overall it's not really impressed me enough to keep coming back.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited February 2015

I'm not talking about the cutaway itself, but the complete 180º mood swing, going from consoling a guy who's got two hours to live (and that terrible segueway in the dialogue) to doing a silly stunt to impress a girl. I'm all about building tension and then throwing in a bit of comedy relief before building the tension to its climax, but this felt off to me—too forced. Like the writers were trying to hit their formulaic beats and weren't really sure how to do it.

I don't know. I started tuning in when Agent Carter started, since it comes on right before. I want to like this show, and it's certainly not the worst show on TV, superhero or otherwise, but once Agent Carter is over I'll probably go back to not watching. There are elements of the show I like, but overall it's not really impressed me enough to keep coming back.
    It's so weird because I feel the complete opposite. I do recognize the problems with The Flash, but they feel more like the resulting drawbacks of the 22 episode season that pretty much every network show suffers from to varying degrees. But it's still probably, for my money, the best comic book show on TV.

My thoughts and feelings on Agent Carter can be found in that thread. But the short of it is I'm looking forward to AoS coming back.
  • Options

My thoughts and feelings on Agent Carter can be found in that thread. But the short of it is I'm looking forward to AoS coming back.

Yep, and I was completely on the opposite end with you there as well.

I do find Flash to be better than Arrow and Gotham, but I think I like Constantine a tad better than Flash—though, granted, I've only seen three episodes of Constantine compared to six of Flash.

I think my biggest peeve regarding most of the superhero shoes is how closely they tie all the characters together. If Agent of Carter had been written like Arrow or Gotham or Flash, this Black Widow would have been Peggy's best friend from grade school who was kidnapped while they were on a school trip to Russia. And on that trip to Russia they would have run into Howard Stark at the museum, where he would have hit on Peggy. But Dum Dum Dugan would have also been at the museum while visiting his great aunt, and he would have tried to punch Stark for being rude only to have Peggy punch Stark first, making them all fast friends.

And so on.

I know why they do it, but it's lazy writing, and it drives me a little nuts.
  • Options

I do find Flash to be better than Arrow and Gotham, but I think I like Constantine a tad better than Flash—though, granted, I've only seen three episodes of Constantine compared to six of Flash.

I think my biggest peeve regarding most of the superhero shoes is how closely they tie all the characters together. If Agent of Carter had been written like Arrow or Gotham or Flash, this Black Widow would have been Peggy's best friend from grade school who was kidnapped while they were on a school trip to Russia. And on that trip to Russia they would have run into Howard Stark at the museum, where he would have hit on Peggy. But Dum Dum Dugan would have also been at the museum while visiting his great aunt, and he would have tried to punch Stark for being rude only to have Peggy punch Stark first, making them all fast friends.

And so on.

It is. And my least favorite episodes have leaned on those crutches hard (the metal bully comes to mind). And the love interest stories are about as lazy as could be imaginable, every single one is a triangle. But it's got clear emotional through lines for most of the characters and the storylines have progressed at a reasonable pace. It's tough to come up with 22 different scenarios a year and have every single one hold up.

I haven't watched the most recent episode but so far Agent Carter has been the complete opposite. It has very little forward momentum, repeating the same beats for the first 3 episodes and then meandering away from what's supposed to be the main plot for 2 more. And Peggy keeps herself so emotionally distant from everyone (a perfectly acceptable but sadly under explored character trait) that her relationships with the other characters are tenuous and therefore hard to invest in. But they also cease to exist as interesting characters outside of her narrative. They don't mean enough to her or the story to be of any importance to me. And it's only 8 episodes, quite possibly the only 8 episodes and it's moving like it was 22. I would actually be way more forgiving if it was a full season show, because as single 44 minute servings it's really not that bad, but as 3/4 of a story arc it's been a mess.
  • Options

And so on.

It is. And my least favorite episodes have leaned on those crutches hard (the metal bully comes to mind). And the love interest stories are about as lazy as could be imaginable, every single one is a triangle. But it's got clear emotional through lines for most of the characters and the storylines have progressed at a reasonable pace. It's tough to come up with 22 different scenarios a year and have every single one hold up.

I haven't watched the most recent episode but so far Agent Carter has been the complete opposite. It has very little forward momentum, repeating the same beats for the first 3 episodes and then meandering away from what's supposed to be the main plot for 2 more. And Peggy keeps herself so emotionally distant from everyone (a perfectly acceptable but sadly under explored character trait) that her relationships with the other characters are tenuous and therefore hard to invest in. But they also cease to exist as interesting characters outside of her narrative. They don't mean enough to her or the story to be of any importance to me. And it's only 8 episodes, quite possibly the only 8 episodes and it's moving like it was 22. I would actually be way more forgiving if it was a full season show, because as single 44 minute servings it's really not that bad, but as 3/4 of a story arc it's been a mess.
    I don't need every show I watch to fit into the Robert McKee formula beat for beat. More importantly, I want the shows I watch to be entertaining enough and of a high enough quality that I don't notice the technical side while I'm watching. Agent Carter does that for me, Flash not so much.

I could go on, but this is starting to get as boring as Iris West.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I pretty much knew going in that this is the CW so there will be relationship storylines, so with that acceptance I don't really have a problem with the abrupt scene and mood shifts.

If anything, I chalk it up to Barry being The Flash and as such he's getting used to the idea of playing different roles (whether in or out of costume) and perhaps that plays into it a bit. If you're trying to get that second date you don't bring up the guy dying you just talked to.

Well, unless she's a goth chick. She might be into it, then. :)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I usually can accept the relationship stuff better on the Flash than on Arrow. I find it to be done a bit better...except for the last episode.

I'm not a fan of Iris realizing her (non-sibling) love for Barry, and it felt so forced.

(Yeah, I know., it's a CW show!)
  • Options
    Being a fan of the old silver-age Flash comics, I'm actually looking forward to Barry and Iris finally getting it together.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited February 2015
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Interesting find from 1990 of a behind the scenes video prior to the fall release of The Flash on CBS. Fun...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=538805722894712
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Is the Flash using to many of his big villains to soon? This season Reverse Flash, Captain Cold/Rouges and Gorilla Grodd. I'm not a big Flash reader so I don't no all his Villains but those seem like his most major ones?
  • Options
    I think it's fine that they're being used. They can be used again.
  • Options
    Mihawk said:

Is the Flash using to many of his big villains to soon? This season Reverse Flash, Captain Cold/Rouges and Gorilla Grodd. I'm not a big Flash reader so I don't no all his Villains but those seem like his most major ones?

He has plenty of villains. And as Any good writer had shown, even minor ones can be made into real threats.

Hell, look at what they did with the Top in the Flash comics.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Mihawk said:

No.

I think it's working great.

The Flash has always been so defined by his Rogues' Gallery, that I think not introducing them would have been a mistake and a disappointment.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I agree: they're hitting us fast and hard with the Rogues - and i'm loving it! These days, you wait too long to get to the fun stuff, you might find yourself cancelled before you have a chance. And the Reverse Flash mystery arc is a nice thorugh thread to pull you through the show.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Yes. You'll know they're getting overused when they finally get to Big Sur.
  • Options
    Wow! Reverse Flash is getting to be less of a mystery.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited February 2015
    Man oh man that was a great episode best of the series imo. Firestorm is awesome. Barry learning about the time travel is very cool I foresee that probably being the season finale cliffhanger.

And that very last scene was amazing. Reverse Flash unmasked and "Not God Grodd".
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The real beauty of the Flash is that his villains do keep coming back to pester him, and we still haven't gotten to Mirror Master or Golden Glider (hinted at but not seen) yet. Or Abra Kadabra. Or the Clown. Or the Trickster. Plenty of gold yet to be mined.

It'll truly have arrived when the Rogues all realize they're a team and conspire to take out the Flash together...
  • Options

^ There are several amazing things from this episode worth discussing. But mostly I just wanted to see this again. Soooo cool!
  • Options
    I think they're doing a great job with the villains. Although they've used many, they haven't been killed off so they can definitely come back for more. It's definitely a fun series.
  • Options
    Now *that's* how you end an episode. This show is amazing.
  • Options

I think they're doing a great job with the villains. Although they've used many, they haven't been killed off so they can definitely come back for more. It's definitely a fun series.

Unless you know the Flash's secret identity... That's a death sentence.
  • Options
    Did anyone else realize that Grodd got his revenge on Luthor for how JLU ended their rivalry?
  • Options

Did anyone else realize that Grodd got his revenge on Luthor for how JLU ended their rivalry?

Are you talking about the TV show?